How to know when to drop bombs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to know when to drop bombs?

I am going to try and teach myself how to bomb etc with the keyboard as I suck with a joystick, and I was wondering how do you know when to drop bombs to hit your target. Any tips would be helpful.
    [age-c1][gchq-c1][support]
    TG-1st MIP(Currently Retired)

Re: How to know when to drop bombs?

Practice.
    Practice.
    Also, more practice.

There is NOTHING on the HUD which will help you. No reference points, no lines, no notches or dials. You've got a big, fat, NOTHING. No matter what anyone says, those lines mean nothing and do nothing but look cool. (which they do.)
    Since they don't account for Angle of Attack, air speed, altitude, bomb flight curve - they're useless.

The only thing you can do is be ready to hit the "rear chase-cam view" key so you can see where your bombs hit. After a while, you get a feel for it.
    That's it. :(

Good luck. :)
    "You live and learn. Or you don't live long."
    - Lazarus Long

Comment

what is the rear chase cam view?
      [age-c1][gchq-c1][support]
      TG-1st MIP(Currently Retired)

Comment

^ What he said.

I use a joystick and have the views mapped to the hat switch. As you make your run, you do three things as close together as possilbe: Release Bombs, Pull Up, Change to nose cam. Stay in nose cam long enough to see the trajectory your bombs took and where they hit, then change back.

You'll find that a steeper attack angle (the closer to straight down you are), is more accurate and keeps the bombs in the same area. The other method is a straight flyover almost parallel to the ground. This I find harder to time, but your bombs spread out over a larger area.

It's all about practice in the end though.

Comment

Originally posted by AntiVisual
          what is the rear chase cam view?
          F11 by default. Try that and you'll know it when you see it if you haven't rebound it.
          "You live and learn. Or you don't live long."
          - Lazarus Long

Comment

i agree with what everyone said, just look where they fall until its just second nature. Also, dont expect to down a tank/apc in one pass with the fighter's bombs. Youll usually damage them significantly but not kill them. What happens to me generally is one bomb hits in front of the tank, and the other bomb behind it. Correct me if im wrong, but the only way to kill it in one pass is to get lucky that one of the bombs lands right on top of the tank.

Also bombing doesnt just include the bombs themselfs, the chain gun is best against humvees (once you can steady your aim well enough) and its even still effective against apcs as long as you get a nice long run at it. Once ya get the chain gun mastered its nice because you dont have to resupply after each vehicle you attack.

Comment

santa is a lying hoe! he knows exactly how to aim, how do you think he rapes us so efficiently? o_O

anyway >_>

yeah, as a common ground pounder, the jet's main gun is possibly the most powerful gun in the game. more powerful than the vulcan, miniguns or the AAA guns.
              |TG-Irr|Legato

Comment

using the jets gun effectivly on ground targets is the one thing i cant seem to get good at, i can get decent hits on a enemy jet, but ground targets, eesh.

Comment

Originally posted by Riki_Rude_BTYC
                  using the jets gun effectivly on ground targets is the one thing i cant seem to get good at, i can get decent hits on a enemy jet, but ground targets, eesh.
                  your missing the point! just ask levi or darkviper... you simply ACT like your using the cannons, and 'accidently' crash nose first into a freshly smoked apc. the goal is not to kill with the guns, its to cover up the kamikaze run with a simple "oops, couldn't pull up in time! ;)"
                  |TG-Irr|Legato

Comment

Originally posted by Legato895
                    your missing the point! just ask levi or darkviper... you simply ACT like your using the cannons, and 'accidently' crash nose first into a freshly smoked apc. the goal is not to kill with the guns, its to cover up the kamikaze run with a simple "oops, couldn't pull up in time! ;)"
                    [Tweety voice] It was an accident it was! [/Tweety voice] Seriously I didn't know if the cannon was effective or not when I asked, and thought you were making fun of me when you said it was really effective. Prepare for alot more strafing. And probably a good bit more nose dives.

Like everyone else has said, the only way to really get good at bombing (one of the few things in a plane I'm decent at) is to practice. But keep this in mind-your bombs, once released, have a precise rate of descent. Combining that knowledge with your height and airspeed you actually should be able to figure out a fairly accurate, if slightly rough, approximation of where your bombs will land. The problem with that is that I haven't figured out the rate of descent exactly-but am making strides. Now I need a co-tester.

Also-I really need some help in AA-preferably help that doesn't result in me getting foreign objects stuck in my tail-pipe by Santa. Any volunteers?

Comment

Heh, the guns are often some of your best friends especially when you have a column setup of troops or a guy on an aa gun (don't waste bombs) just run the guns up the target and blow them off. I've even managed to shoot people off the crane with it. And dropping bombs is an acquired feel that one can lose or get worse at. I still sometimes check behind me to check on how i'm doing (thats when you see me hit a mountain and I'm not lagging)

AA is a topic thats been beaten alot but I should draw some pictures soon.
                      [age-c1] [gchq-c1] [air2] [tog-c1][tpf-c1]
                      [tg-c1]<victory

Comment

Originally posted by Levi
                        Also-I really need some help in AA-preferably help that doesn't result in me getting foreign objects stuck in my tail-pipe by Santa. Any volunteers?
                        We all know you like that kind of thing.

Infantry can also help with a planes bombing/anti air. Spot tanks, apcs, vehicles, and your planes will have to search less for targets, and rather just bomb them. Its also a HUGE help to spot planes. Anytime im in a fighter and the enemies are flying bombers, i say in team chat "If youd like their bomber down, please spot it". When i was trying to take down a bomber in operation clean sweep ragged (i think it was him) kept spotting the bomber from the ground, and i was always able to either chase it for prolonged periods of time, or shoot it down. This wouldnt have happened nearly as much without that spotting.

Comment

You must first give a word to our moms.
                          This stupid rap joke of the day is sponsored by Charmin.

Comment

*sound of crickets chirping*

Comment

I little bit off topic: Do you guys use the Keyboard/Mouse or a Joystick when flying?
                              "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert E.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X