The true art of sniping/stealthing...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The true art of sniping/stealthing...

As i play the sniper kit most of the time(about 80-90% of my gametime) I've gotten my aim to a state where most of the shots i fire(atleast with the M24) are headshots. I have no problem killing people in a 1v2 or 1v3 fight, if I have the range between me and the enemy. And I almost never(yes this is kinda boosting myself, but hey) run into a sniper that out-aim me in a duel.

The problem I have is of another matter, which I would consider the true art of sniping. How to get behind enemy lines unseen, how to move unseen and how to not be spoted when you're hiding. I know all the usual tips 'n tricks(Don't skyline, Don't pick obvious spots, Don't fire unless you're sure u get a kill, Cover and Camouflage are two different things, etc.).

Maybee I'm just to trigger happy and sometimes(always ? :p) don't bother to take the most hidden path to my intended location and sometimes try to run thru/to close to the enemy lines. Sure, we all have games where everything goes exactly as we wan't, but I think we all can agree on that they are rare.

A couple of situations/questions here that might occur, and what I/you do when it happends.

1. You're on your way to that special sniper spot, and you run into an enemy. You kill him with your pistol. Now the problem is that the guy know you are somewhere around where you killed him, what do you do? Fall back? Advance further? etc.

2. You se a squad of 3-4 people, you decide to take one out and your bullet hits him and he's dead. But the rest of the squad has spoted you, what do you do?

3. To get to your destination the safest way, how do you do? (What path, how do you travel, etc.)

Here are my answers:
    1. This one, I have no idea...

2. I usually try to kill the squad if they're far away, if not I make a run for it(if it's possible)

3. If I'm patient I prone and cruch as much as possible, looking around all corners and only use the silenced pistol to kill people. I also don't kill people unless I realy have to.

Re: The true art of sniping/stealthing...

Originally posted by thrthr
    As i play the sniper kit most of the time(about 80-90% of my gametime) I've gotten my aim to a state where most of the shots i fire(atleast with the M24) are headshots. I have no problem killing people in a 1v2 or 1v3 fight, if I have the range between me and the enemy. And I almost never(yes this is kinda boosting myself, but hey) run into a sniper that out-aim me in a duel.
    You just painted a bulls eye on your forehead for Tropper, Luna, and I to hit. Thanks for playing! :icon_lol:

The problem I have is of another matter, which I would consider the true art of sniping. How to get behind enemy lines unseen, how to move unseen and how to not be spoted when you're hiding. I know all the usual tips 'n tricks(Don't skyline, Don't pick obvious spots, Don't fire unless you're sure u get a kill, Cover and Camouflage are two different things, etc.).
    This is not difficult. Coming towards target, don't travel directly towards it. Use cover, and take advantage of the situation around you. If several squads are converging on a flag, you can use their zerging to distract the enemy from you movements.

Maybee I'm just to trigger happy and sometimes(always ? :p) don't bother to take the most hidden path to my intended location and sometimes try to run thru/to close to the enemy lines.
    And you call yourself a sniper? Please. Your whole job is the hidden route. In an assault, you are quite nerfed if you are a sniper, so the only thing you contribute if you don't play the role right is to pad the opponent's score.

1. You're on your way to that special sniper spot, and you run into an enemy. You kill him with your pistol. Now the problem is that the guy know you are somewhere around where you killed him, what do you do? Fall back? Advance further? etc.
    Advance, but cautiously. Find another route to the target.

2. You se a squad of 3-4 people, you decide to take one out and your bullet hits him and he's dead. But the rest of the squad has spoted you, what do you do?
    Stick and move. Execute a tactical retreat, and reset. Never stay in the same place UNLESS you can get the entire squad.

3. To get to your destination the safest way, how do you do? (What path, how do you travel, etc.)[
    Move slow, deliberately, and never directly at the target.

Comment

Your whole job is the hidden route. In an assault, you are quite nerfed if you are a sniper, so the only thing you contribute if you don't play the role right is to pad the opponent's score.
      a good sniper in a squad that is assaulting or defending can make a large difference. you just have to learn how to play it. don't get into direct confrontations unless you have backup. rather, stay near the back of the squad (but don't be afraid to move with them), and help take out enemies during the advance. at mid to long distances, your squad is probably going to be putting 20, 30, or more rounds downrange per enemy. you, however, have the power to take them out in one shot, before they can land any damage on your assault, specops, or whoever's at the forefront. heck, even if you can only land body shots, with the m24, you're still halving their health, making it much easier for your team to take them out.
      [TG]epheneh

Comment

3. To get to your destination the safest way, how do you do? (What path, how do you travel, etc.)
        Some of what I've found having spent a bit of time in the BF2 sniper role on some other servers.

1) Depends on how near the contact point was to your intended hiding place and what kind of view you might have of people approaching (and subsequent escape points). Basically, if there are no spawn points to your flank, you have a large field of view and the approach is over a longish stretch of open ground - you stand a good chance unless he brings a whole force to ferret you out. If you killed him right next to your hiding spot and the opposing team has communication and coordination (i.e. TG servers - you are made, find a new place).

2) Don't take the shot unless they see you. Radio in the contact to your SL or CO (obviously you need a good communication server for this to be viable which in my experience means only TG since I've never even heard VOIP on any others). Maybe let them pass a bit and take one from behind with a single head shot. They likely won't know where it came from and if you are well hidden you can get away with it (one shot only - but it's still risky and greedy). If you honestly think you can kill or force back the entire squad - have at them.

3) Cover, avoid direct encounters, don't be in totally obvious places, if you have cover with you use it, bring your best luck with you as sometimes it really comes down to this no matter how good your plan - wrong place, wrong time. To be honest, I really like to kill enemy snipers by flanking really good snipe spots and just slow scanning or moving slowly through the brush. Most never use claymores, have no support and most are so concentrated on their target that I can get an easy kill from behind. One of the benefits to sniper teams in real life besides the obvious spotting. I've actually never seen a two man sniper team working in BF2 (where one is the sniper and another provides support for him and a second set of eyes). Might be hard to coordinate through VOIP or use up too much manpower given the 32 player team cap. Needless to say, a lot more snipers would survive encounters if this was the case.

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Mateo
          You just painted a bulls eye on your forehead for Tropper, Luna, and I to hit. Thanks for playing! :icon_lol:
          Hehe, the only servers I dont play sniper on often is TG b/c of my ping(I play from sweden, 150-200 ping even tho i got DSL-something)

Well, I think I'm just to trigger happy tbh... going in to play sniper on the TG server now btw, if there's atleast 30+ people there.

Edit: Bah.. server empty ;p guess that's what you get for not living in the same timezone.

Comment

Hehe, the only servers I dont play sniper on often is TG b/c of my ping(I play from sweden, 150-200 ping even tho i got DSL-something)
            For a similar server, closer to you, try Dead Men Walking. Good group.

Well, I think I'm just to trigger happy tbh... going in to play sniper on the TG server now btw, if there's atleast 30+ people there.

Edit: Bah.. server empty ;p guess that's what you get for not living in the same timezone.
            Late at night (2AM EDT) there are quite a few of the European/Asia contingent on. I saw 56/64 last night.

Comment

For a similar server, closer to you, try Dead Men Walking. Good group.
              URL? IP? etc. ;P searching for "dead men walking" on google.. kinda.. eh.. ;p ya get it.

Late at night (2AM EDT) there are quite a few of the European/Asia contingent on. I saw 56/64 last night.
              atm. I'm on vacation so I play all night here(day/afternoon for you guys) usually do about 5-10 games(maps) each night with ya.

Comment

URL? IP? etc. ;P searching for "dead men walking" on google.. kinda.. eh.. ;p ya get it.
                Here you go:

http://www.deadmen.co.uk/

Comment

a few more things

-first off, if you even think you will be pitching a tent for more than 1 kill, do NOT hide in dark places. your muzzle flash will give you away instantly, even out of the corner of eyes. sunny bleached grassy hills work wonders.

-laying a claymore ANYWHERE will guarantee at LEAST 1 tk, but its worth it

-having been in a 2 sniper squad, i can tell you its amazing... good lord we were a MACHINE

-the main advantage of a sniper in a full squad is spotting movement and enemy positions

-use exploding barrels and propane to your advantage. find out how many shots it takes with your gun (or pistol) and 'prep' them

-when falling back, claymore your last position. usually i make it around a warehouse and hear a BOOM

-when you are trying to get within firing distance of a enemy flag, stay far enough away that any lingering UAV won't ping you. this goes especially if your team is pushing on it. soldiers tired of throwing themselves at your team's attacking tank will see a lone dot on their flank as a much more appealing target.

-if you've been especially annoying, move every time you hear arty

-due to the commander's scan try moving often unless your part of a squad. if your in a squad, expect to move less and while this may compromise your safety, your doing your team more service by staying put and spotting.
                  |TG-Irr|Legato

Comment

A couple of situations/questions here that might occur, and what I/you do when it happends.

1. Depends where youa re in relation to where he may spawn. if he was between you and the base and you were not established keep moving forward. Find a position where you can use your claymore to limit his sneaking up on you. If your pursuer dies 2X to you they'll be even more pissed off. If you were already at a base sniping away and spotted. Fire one shot and move. or fall back to a place you thing the squad may move to next and spot them on the map for your squad as they move or begin picking them off to slow their advance and have them concentrate on you.

2. Spot them all for everyone to see (you should have done this first anyhow) then begin moving back from their position taking up a position within firing range of them advancing on you. Take down one or two and keep moving back. You've just had an entire advancing squad deviate from their objective to find you. Keep shooting and moving until you die or they force themselves into an ambush by your squd or another squad.

3. Always flank your positions even as a sniper. the best way to get the most one-shot one kills is to be behind, to the side and preferably above your targets -- always avoid the traditional sniping spots. Most TG members know where a sniper likes to sit -- for example the hotel roof on the demo. There are other vantage points that are just as good that are effective. Sure they may give you less field of fire initially but what you lose in field of vision is made up for in less time being dead. Less time being dead means less travel means more headshots.
                    Long Live the 2nd BCT and 1st MIP

Comment

-also, when you kill a lone soldier, and he knows where you are before he dies, move into a position that covers where you just were. i can almost guarantee he will come back to the bush you were in, or at least get close to it, assuming you stayed there
                      |TG-Irr|Legato

Comment

They seem to only play CS:S/CS1.6 tho, to bad I can't stand that game ;p

Comment

They seem to only play CS:S/CS1.6 tho, to bad I can't stand that game ;p
                          you and me both

AKA TG Xink | http://www.andy-hook.co.uk

Comment

Anytime im at about medium range and see a squad coming, and i know they saw me, this is what i do:

1) Maybe snipe one if i know i can get away with it
                            2) run behind the closest building, on the far side from the enemy squad plant a claymore
                            3) Run to a safe vantage point to see the squad coming in to where you just laid the claymore

This works beacuse you may be able to snipe one right off the bat, you will get one with a claymore, and youll be ready to snipe them again in a new location that they dont yet know about.

If your the sniper in a squad then spotting is important, and when on attack you can even be a close range sniper if you can line up shots very quickly. Generally the defenders will go prone thinking that will help, but it just makes for an even easier and even quicker headshot for ya.

Comment

Advance further but fall back. Move further away from the flag in one direction but closer in another. Maybe instead of heading North East, head just a bit North West, around a mountain, over a mountain, etc. Best plan for you is to move a bit away from the area he killed you, get some awesome cover, and put your scope on it.

Distract and run. Concider the fact that you have grenades. Anticipate movements and throw the grenades in that direction. If they aren't dead, they are stunned if you anticipate well enough. Take out a few more in the confusion if you can. Always keep an eye on them tho, spin around and check to see how close they are to you. If you have distance enough on them, let them chase you and pop them in the face as they do. Remember, no one has an unlimited supply of sprint juice. (Grenades can also be used to your advantage before you attack as well. A stunned enemy is a blind and confused enemy.)

There's not many ways to get around the long runs and endless proning. One way I've found to work fairly often is to find a base that your team just took over, and grab a buggy from the other team from it. Those cute little tan dune-buggies serve for an awesome means of transportation, and if you stay far enough away from hostiles, they'll think you're friendly. Also, high ground is an advantage if used right. You're right about the sky-lining, but sometimes you have to sacrifice. The shadow of a man standing 300 yards away from you as you hear the shot of a sniper rifle is a VERY nerve shattering event. Concider yourself the most deadly person on the battlefield, instead of the weakest. High grounds are great for positioning, but not so great for mobility. The top of the cranes can cripple you without well placed claymores, or they can strengthen you to an extent that is unimaginable. You say you get a lot of headshots. Use those to your advantage. Instead of straying away from a huge fight, get in the middle of it. On a crane above a hostile flag while infantry rolls in on the ground level is the best place for a sniper to be. You don't have to worry about getting shot in the belly, and you really don't have to worry about getting shot. They're all distracted on the ground, and with the well-placed claymores, listen for the booms of them. If they both go off, relocate. They're coming to get you. :-O

-Mom
                              Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X