The uncanny headshot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The uncanny headshot

Hi, |TG|Steeler here, formerly >>RapheSteeler<<. TG really puts the public servers to shame, so I figured I'd finally adopt the tag, considering it's the first place I go every logon.

I have a tactics/skill question. I had dropped out of FPS's in general for a while after it became clear that certain overly-skilled individuals made casual play completely pointless - the Warcraft III effect. One can only be shot so many times in the head before one feels a little... inadequate. One of the nice things about BF2 is that one can compensate for a lack of gun sight dexterity with stealth and smart squad tactics. But still, I get devastated a lot in shoot-offs.

Is there a secret to getting that quick kill in a face-off situation? Typically I just blast away at the center of mass (both in autofire and long-range single fire), trying to get as much lead into the target as fast as possible. I don't trust my own aim to stop and mark the head in a split second encounter, but a lot of people seem to get that instant-kill awfully quick, even when I'm wearing armor. (I'm looking at you Santa - you kill me a lot:) ) Is there a particular method to mid-range aiming that will CONSISTENTLY get the fast kill? Am I missing a key game mechanic - gravity, kickback, wind resistance, cosmic rays? Any shooting advice would help.

Just for reference, latency is low and fps is high, so aside from the occassional texture loading delay, technical performace isn't an issue. It's likely all in the wrist.
    In game handle: Steel Scion
    sigpic

Re: The uncanny headshot

There is an... issue... with the game, where you have instant accuracy with your weapon in the split second after you prone. People are getting a lot better at aiming for the head as they go prone. It's frustrating, because by all rights and measures you should be at your most inaccurate while diving to the ground.
    [squadl]
    "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Use single burst mode as much as possible. Try to learn to aim for the head, instinctively.
      Hear ye, of the dragon, Smoke is his name.
      Solely surviving the fires,
      and sad and angry he became.
      Until his angre became dismay,
      as the elders sent him away.

Now we can hear his wings, once a year,
      And, his empty cry we fear.
      Sad old Smoke, out there in the rain,
      We can feel your suffering, we can feel your pain.

Comment

I mostly play sniper, so I wait to line up the shot, particularly at long range. Better one shot than having to reposition several.

Comment

Something I would like to point out about aiming (with non sniper rifles) that many people might not know: using the regular crosshairs instead of the ironsights is actually pretty accurate. Many times I've been in a situation where I couldn't hit a guy for the life of me using my ironsights, but as soon as I switched out to normal crosshairs he went down pretty quickly.

I think ironsights give you a good first/second shot advantage, but after that your bullet deviation can be well outside of the pinpoint of your sights. With crosshairs though, you know your bullets will be within the X.
          [squadl]

Comment

As I consider myself a decent/good aim:er, here's how I aim with the differnet guns(note: I mostly play sniper).

Sniper(M24): Below 200m always aim straight for the head, 200m+ i aim about 1-2px abouve the head. Or if I want to be sure to hit(but not headshot) i aim about 1-2px below the head(neck/torso). (Yesterday I made a 1shot 1kill on 400m+ something('bout 420 something) on Kubra Dam).

Sniper(M95): Don't try to kill anything 200-250m+, you're wasting your time, other than that always aim straight for the head.

Sniper(Type88/SVD): Same here, 250+m is almost impossible, always aim straight for head and DO NOT shot multiple rounds after eachother, use it as if it's bolt action (1 shot in the head kills whit these two also) and only use semi-fire in Close battles or where you have to kill the enemy ASAP.

Sniper(General): According to a commonly posted data-sheet on damage/accuracy the M95/SVD/Type 88 have half the accuracy of the M24(the M24 has 0.1 Dev and the others have 0.2)

M16A2(Burst): Just draw your crosshair as close as possible to your opponents torso and burst 3-4 times, 2(1?) hit(s) in the head or 3-4 in the torso and you're dead.

Assault Rifles(all other 'cept M16A2): In close combat go prone and spray 5-shot bursts for the head, in range single shot and re-aim after each two shots(recol/kickback puts your aim off).

Shotguns: Aim straight for the upper chest/torso/neck area and let loose 2-3 shots, if 75% of your projectiles hit you kill them in one shot i think.

SMG's(Mp5/PP19/etc): Aim for torso/neck/head area and shoot bursts of 5-10 shots depending on distance(longer bursts the close your target is)

MG's(SAW/PKM/etc): Dont try to hit anything that's 100m+ away, it's useless. When they are close just prone+aim for torso/neck and spray. Medium range 5-10(longer bursts the close your target is) bursts and reposition your crosshair/ironsight after each burst.

Pistols: As they have the least recoil in the game just aim for the head and empty the clip asap, this works suprisingly well. I just have to say how INSANELY(spelling..?) overpowered (imho) the silenced pistols the Sniper/Spec-ops get, as they make close to no sound and has no muzzleflash you can kill groups of people lying in a dark area and they'll never know what hit em. With the silenced guns that Sniper/Spec-ops get you need two(2) hit's in the head to kill someone. Haven't tested with the other guns.

General Aiming:
            * Always aim for the upper part of the body. With all guns 'cept sniper rifles and pistols you should aim for the torso/neck and not the head as the recoil will kick in and put most of your shots after the first 1-2 in his head(depending on distance ofcourse).

* If someone gets the jump on you and you have to turn around, I find it best to just aim as close to the upper body as I can and squeeze the trigger(mouse button =p) because in most cases you will die anyways.

* Never, ever, ever stand up and spray with the MG's(SAW/PKM/etc) as you will not hit sh*t. Try to stand ~20m away from a wall and spray a full heatcycle, you'll see how about 0% hit where you were aiming. Even if you come around a corner and run straight into someone, I can almost gurantee you that in 9 out of 10 cases he will kill you if you stand still and spray with your MG. Prone is the key.

Tips to improve your aim:
            * Practice with the iron sights in a singleplayer game, learn how you should aim with them. Same goes for the red-dot sights.

* Practice the pistols very speciall sights on bots in a singleplayer game. The silenced pistols seem to shot a bit above the middle of the barrel and the normal ones shoot pretty straight on the end-iron-thingie on the tip of the barrel.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokingTarpan
              Something I would like to point out about aiming (with non sniper rifles) that many people might not know: using the regular crosshairs instead of the ironsights is actually pretty accurate. Many times I've been in a situation where I couldn't hit a guy for the life of me using my ironsights, but as soon as I switched out to normal crosshairs he went down pretty quickly.

I think ironsights give you a good first/second shot advantage, but after that your bullet deviation can be well outside of the pinpoint of your sights. With crosshairs though, you know your bullets will be within the X.
              The key(imho) is to re-position your iron sight after 2-3 bullets(I always do it after 2).

Edit: I have to mention something about all the pistols, they are extremely extremely good in semi-close combat. Especially if you have a Shotgun/SMG and you're in that special range where they wont hit **** but your oponent has a Assaultrifle and it's thier perfect range

Comment

Originally posted by thrthr
                The key(imho) is to re-position your iron sight after 2-3 bullets(I always do it after 2).
                Just because you move your sight doesn't mean that your deviation variable has come back down, though.

I've been working on using a lot more of controlled fire, waiting a decent amount between shots so that my deviation can settle down. But most of the time the combat is too crazy for anything but rapid fire. I've found myself starting to rely more and more on my normal crosshairs, and doing a lot better with it.
                [squadl]

Comment

Originally posted by SmokingTarpan
                  Just because you move your sight doesn't mean that your deviation variable has come back down, though.

I've been working on using a lot more of controlled fire, waiting a decent amount between shots so that my deviation can settle down. But most of the time the combat is too crazy for anything but rapid fire. I've found myself starting to rely more and more on my normal crosshairs, and doing a lot better with it.
                  Ah well, you are right and that's what I do as long as I'm not in CCB. Reposition sights, wait 1-2 secs, fire 2-3 shots, repeat.

Another thing to, here are the(imho) best weapon for each class(to make headshots/kill with)

Sniper: M24(300m 1shot kills anyone?)
                  Spec-Ops: G36C(This gun is way to good imho)
                  Assault: G3 & M16A2(Use this over G3 when I'm USMC)
                  Support: PKM & M249 SAW(Use this over PKM when I'm USMC)
                  Medic: L82A1(?Unlock?)
                  Engineer: Jackhammer
                  Anti-Tank: DAO-12
                  Pistol: Silenced

Comment

Everyone's doing a good job mentioning the in-game things to do, so I'll throw out a metagame item. Muck with your mouse sensitivity. If it's really low now, try moving it up a fair bit. If it's really high, move it down. If it's in the middle, pick a direction. Experiment.

Better yet, get a cool mouse like I got - the Logitech MX518 - it has buttons on the mouse to alter your sensitivity via hardware(or on-mouse s/w, I dunno). In a tank/apc or planning on some seriously up-close fighting - crank it up. Doing mid-long-range sniping or flying a helo? Knock it back down.

I know it seems silly, but for a lot of folks, mouse sensitivity can be their biggest hindrance or biggest boon, and it's something you don't really think about.

For CQB, generally, you want to be able to a 180 without having to pick up your mouse, quickly, consistently. You want to be able to put your crosshairs right where you want them really quickly. If you ever find yourself picking up your mouse in CQB, that might be part of your problem.

Then again, I suck at CQB, so I tend to go for sniping with the L85 while supporting my squad or using tank/apc/mounted weaponry/grenades and general awareness to compensate. Basically, if I get surprised/ambushed, I'm screwed anyway.

Comment

Excellent tips. The prone/accuracy bug is... interesting.

Thrthr, your breakdown is very helpful, thanks.

Stupid question: "Ironsights" is when you are zoomed in for targeting, yes? Either that, or a Transformer.

Another question: do you prefer an optical or ball mouse, or some other input? I love my wireless optical Kensington, but it is not quite as smooth as it could be, as it tends to snag a little on tight motion, jumping a few pixels at a time instead of a nice clean sweep. Have noticed that in Photoshop and other graphics apps, never thought of it as a problem in FPS until just this moment.
                      In game handle: Steel Scion
                      sigpic

Comment

If it's a cheap optical mouse the accuracy can be a problem since obviously you want to be as fast and accurate as possible. I know of people who have had specific issues with ultra-cheap bundled mice. Not sure where your's ranks. I venture that there are diminishing returns too so the cost of the best mouse on the market might outweigh any incrimental benefits over a decent good optical mouse. Not that I spend much time pondering this since mine doesn't jump at all in any of the apps or games.

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler
                          Excellent tips. The prone/accuracy bug is... interesting.

Thrthr, your breakdown is very helpful, thanks.

Stupid question: "Ironsights" is when you are zoomed in for targeting, yes? Either that, or a Transformer.

Another question: do you prefer an optical or ball mouse, or some other input? I love my wireless optical Kensington, but it is not quite as smooth as it could be, as it tends to snag a little on tight motion, jumping a few pixels at a time instead of a nice clean sweep. Have noticed that in Photoshop and other graphics apps, never thought of it as a problem in FPS until just this moment.
                          a -04 or -05 optical mouse of a known and quality brand with a cord is the best. The mice before 2002 something had problems with very fast movements.

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler
                            Correct. Using your ironsights is using the alt-fire for your weapon, either scoping up or zooming in a tad.
                            [squadl]

Comment

Last time i had a wireless mouse i sold it because i couldnt hit the broad side of a barn. Maybe i just got a bad model, who knows.

This might just be my personal preference, but i RARELY use single shot. With the assault guns i only use single shot at very long distance. Medium range you should keep it in full auto, but click fast enough so that you can distinctivly hear each bullet, but not so slow that theres a big gap between each shot. Close range never use ironsights as you lose the ability to move if you need to. It also zooms in so close that youll actually miss more often. When i have an m16 in burst fire, i aim for the upper torso, and then inch the crosshair downwards slightly. It seems like doing this keeps all 3 of the bullets going in almost the same place, and since its the upper torso one of the bullets may register as a headshot. 2 bursts like this usually downs someone even if they have body armor.

As for which classes to use, i only use spec ops if i know im going to be doing a lot of distance shots. close to medium range it seems impossible to ever actually hit a target, and if you do the gun does such little damage that its not worth all the trouble. Assault however is powerful, accurate to medium range, and you get armor.

Most important thing though is staying calm because if ya start to freak out, youll fire faster resulting in you missing almost all of your shots.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X