Jet Dog Fighting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jet Dog Fighting

If there is a thread for this please direct me, i couldnt find it through the search.

On the public servers I could handle my own very easily, but jeez, i have been trying to hone up on my piloting skills on TG and you guys are giving me a run for my money!
    Red Talon and StrikeFear... today i was lucky enough ot be flying with Red Talon on my team earlier, but tonight strikefear has been laying the smackdown on me.

any tips? i know i should switch to 3rd person veiw while flying, to see whats behind of me, but its quite difficult to switch views so much. all i seem to do is be a pain in the ass when someone is flying behind me, but i have a terribly hard time manuvering to get them in front of me, and they always seem to keep perfect speed with me.

also when im flying behind a jet, i have a hard time keeping the same speed to keep them in my sights.

thanks for any help.

Re: Jet Dog Fighting

while it seems my ONLY successes in a dog fight come when i am using a superior jet than my enemy, i do know a few things. personally i would never recommend looking back with the f-keys. i haven't heard of anybody doing this either. when im flying and looking for hostiles try holding down control and looking around freely with your mouse. keep in mind your jet locks going forward tho, but its much easier imo.
    |TG-Irr|Legato

Comment

Heh, I have a hard time even FINDING what is locked on to me, much less trying to evade and become the agressor. If I get behind someone I can never follow him, but I can never get away from someone either. Quite frustrating for me. I can fly around all day long and only crash when I try to do silly things, but get an enemy on my tail and I'm usually down quite quickly. I enjoy flying around, but I'm just having a hard time building any amount of skill when it comes to dogfighting.. I've gotten so that I won't follow enemy jets to make em mad at me and just stick to bombing.

Keyboard or joystick, no difference. Except I crash quicker with the joystick because it's so much more sensitive.
      Battlefield Admin() ()
      [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
      [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
      | for | |

Comment

I constantly check behind me, because the best pilots sneak on your tail with bombs armed, so you don't get a lock tone. When you straighten out for a moment, they drop half your health with guns, then arm missiles. (That's the "best" pilots. The UNREAL ones, like DarkViper, do the same thing when you're in a tight turn. Arf is also extremely good with guns, able to take a significant chunk out before you can react.)
        I have a hat switch on my joystick to give me a quick look behind me and I use it often.

Honestly, it just takes practice until you can get a handle on your situational awareness.
        However, you MUST try to get on the enemy's tail whenever you catch them sleeping, because he will do things to shake you, and that's how you will learn what things frustrate the jet trying to chase you.

The best and most dangerous pilots are the ones who have mastered the guns. I am not one of them, alas. I cannot get the lead distance right, apparently. I'm not even sure what I'm doing wrong.
        Anyway, if a pilot ever gets good damage on you with guns alone, and then does it again, proving it's not a fluke - you're in for a rough map.
        "You live and learn. Or you don't live long."
        - Lazarus Long

Comment

The jet you're flying makes a difference; don't feel bad if you get destroyed in the air. On Oman with an F35B I was able to hold my own against Strikefear. I even managed to shoot someone out of a bomber; disappointingly it turned out to just be the gunner so I didn't get to see a cool crash. On the next map on the Oilfields I wasn't any match for Strikefear's J10. I think I went something like 0 to 15 on that map in the air.

In my opinion the strategy for the jets depends on the map. You aren't necessarily going to be winning in the air. On Oman it's 2 USMC fighters Vs a MEC fighter and bomber. The odds aren't in the MEC's favor. I think the Oilfields are the same circumstances in reverse for the USMC. So on Oman I tried to shoot down as much aircraft as possible until the team had air superiority. While on the Oilfields I tried to complete as many missions as Slugslinger assigned me and hoped the damage I did on the ground would negate what I was taking in the air.

Comment

Excellent points, Arf. The jet you're flying is a huge difference - unless you're DarkViper, who takes me out in a bomber.

The strategy is definitely critical, and based on not only the map, but the pilots you're facing and the jets they're flying.

For instance, on Oman, if the USMC enemy pilots aren't that great, the MESC can put their best pilot in the bomber and have him wreak havoc on the ground and help out some in the air. Otherwise, the best pilot needs to man the MiG to try and give the bomber some breathing room. He's gonna have a helluva time trying to play 2 vs 1 for about 45 min. Tense.

Daquing Oilfields is the perfectly symmetrical map. Both sides have a UCB with a fighter and fighter-bomber.
            However, Arf, your tactic on Daquing worked, cuz you had a ridiculous high score. You are VERY good with guns and fighter bombs. I am trying to learn as much from you as I can.

So far, the trickiest thing I've found is trying to balance how much time I spend bombing (directly supporting the troops), and how much time I spend chasing enemy jets down (indirectly supporting the troops). If information bubbled up from the troops better, I could tweak that to be more helpful, I think.
            - Lazarus Long

Comment

Thanks guys!

I think i can score hits with the gun, but nothing to make significant damage, i probably score enough hits to take out 1-3 slivers of health the most. i have been trying to sneak up with my bombs up. i guess il just have to keep practicing and watch who's in the air.

another problem ive noticed is sometimes if there are good pilots on the opposing team, my team wont have any pilots, what do you guys think? i think its better to have two not as well trained pilots against two good ones, just because any heat you can lay on enemie pilots takes twice as much heat off your ground pounders most of the time.

another thing good pilots can do is manage to get a kill or two with a bomb while being chased. ive managed this a couple times, but it ends up costing me some health.

Comment

Just keep trying it and eventually youll be able to estimate what the enemy will do. Also the most important thing is to follow the exact flight course of your enemy. Dont try to take shortcuts here and there, because if he turns he effectivly has a tighter turn radius, and will most likely get behind you. Its easiest to follow the flight course by following the white streaks that the jets give off.

Comment

Originally posted by StrikeFear
                  The best and most dangerous pilots are the ones who have mastered the guns. I am not one of them, alas. I cannot get the lead distance right, apparently. I'm not even sure what I'm doing wrong.
                  Anyway, if a pilot ever gets good damage on you with guns alone, and then does it again, proving it's not a fluke - you're in for a rough map.
                  You're not one of them, eh? And yet you STILL managed to take me down using your guns exclusively on Daquing Oil Thingy last night :P Remember me asking you to use your missiles, because being shot down by your guns was too humiliating?

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
                  |TG-2nd|munchkin
                  Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

sometimes its hard to follow people if they fly like they are drunk apparently ;)

practicing on the same team and against strikefear and xeli for just a short game helped me out a bit.

one bit of advice NEVER fly in a straight path not for a second if you have one of these guys on your tail.

Comment

Originally posted by munchkin
                      You're not one of them, eh? And yet you STILL managed to take me down using your guns exclusively on Daquing Oil Thingy last night :P Remember me asking you to use your missiles, because being shot down by your guns was too humiliating?
                      LOL! That was SO funny!
                      But look, I was out of missiles cuz I had squandered them at inopportune times, and you deftly dodged them all.
                      Desperate times call for desperate measures. I think the gamma rays kicked in, and I did what I had to do. :)
                      - Lazarus Long

Comment

I was flying with strikefear and xeli the other night, I cant remember the map but the MEC just sorta stopped flying when I gave up my jet to xeli. Spent the rest of the map with Riki in the attack chopper. That was one of the best(read: Funnest) rounds I've played.
                        "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert E.

Comment

yeah your a good gunner, everytime id swoop to shoot with my missles your TV guided would take the guy out ;)

definatly a fun round, i never get to play with the choppers because usually when i join a game they are all taken.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X