Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kill the helos!

Hi there,

After getting soundly thrashed by Bommando in the air last night on Oman, I've been thinking about the air war and how it relates to the more important ground war. Those beach flags can be tough to capture, and most of the ideas I have on seizing them quickly rely on armour, which doesn't usually last long when wandering around the beach.

But the biggest threat to armour isn't other aircraft, it's those attack choppers. They're hard to take down from the ground and can linger over an area inflicting pain in a way that the jets can't, and the air support doesn't pay much attention to them except as an occasional target of opportunity. To capture those beach flags, I think the air support (including bombers) needs to ignore armour and concentrate on getting those choppers out of the sky; ground troops can deal with tanks and APCs.

Or am I smoking something here? :row__587:

Re: Kill the helos!

I think infantry just needs to keep a couple of .50's handy as anti-helicopter weapons. 1st-MIP took out a couple of Blackhawk's last night using vehicle-mounted machine guns. They're very effective against slow-flying targets.
    |TG-1stMIP|Mannerism​​​​​​​

Comment

Helicopters are the #1 enemy to ground vehicles. All too often aircraft busy themselves with ground straffing for bomb kills rather than paying more attention to the sky and taking down birds.

From one who flys in an attack chopper often, it is much harder for us to take out armor when an aircraft is constantly on us...they may not always take us down...but they're preventing us from taking out the majority of their armor and harrassing their ground troops.

And a mounted .50 rarely takes me down in an attack chopper. Either the pilot blows them up with the rockets or we fly away to turn around and me take them out with a hellfire outside of the .50 cal range. They're excellent against transports, though.
      Telorn

Comment

Well, it's the attack choppers that are the big threat to armour. They're a lot harder to hit than a BH and those TV missiles have a long range.

When I'm driving a tank, I like to keep it tucked out of sight and under cover until it's needed. If a jet does take the tank down it's more of an annoyance since I can usually grab the respawn 30s later without any serious consequences. But those attack helos seem to be able to coordinate far more effectively with the rest of the team, and kill armour at thoroughly inconvenient times.

And even if you do kill an attack helo, it's back on the attack faster than that armour, which may have to be fetched from a distant CP.

Comment

Originally posted by jepzilla
          But the biggest threat to armour isn't other aircraft
          I beg to differ, the last few times ive led an air squad we've had the highest scores on our team, with 30+ kills per squadmate. Most of these kills would be armor kills due to the fact that targetting infantry isnt possible and killing infantry is usually do to luck or good spotting, neither of which happen often.

Comment

Aside from utilizing ground AA or mobile AA systems which can effectively engage choppers, I've found the .50 to be the next best thing. But you have to either catch the chopper from a flank away from the position the chopper is attacking (thus away from its focus) or team up with another .50 and making it so the chopper can take on or the other but not both.

The quickest I've taken down an attack chopper was 1.5 heat cycles on a .50. But those were head on through the cockpit shots that I would have prefered not to take. I guess the gunner just didn't acquire me in time. Lucky me.

Comment

Originally posted by TEMM
              I beg to differ, the last few times ive led an air squad we've had the highest scores on our team, with 30+ kills per squadmate.
              I could get into a big discussion on the issue of helos vs. jets, but it's moot; hostile jets are always going to be a priority for friendly jets. But don't worry about the armour until all the attack choppers are down. :row__586:

Comment

Originally posted by jepzilla
                I could get into a big discussion on the issue of helos vs. jets, but it's moot; hostile jets are always going to be a priority for friendly jets. But don't worry about the armour until all the attack choppers are down. :row__586:
                It's a tricky balancing act for us. We're learning to balance
                1. Protect troops from jets
                2. Protect troops from helos
                3. Eliminate enemy armor
                4. Watch our own 4$$3$

This is good feedback.

Keep in mind that taking out enemy helos is VERY hard and VERY risky as a lone pilot. Your greatest advantage as a jet is speed, and to take out a helo requires dropping to very slow and unmaneuverable and vulnerable speeds. This simply isn't possible if there is good enemy AA cover or jets hunting you down.

Doing it as a cooperative pair is easy and safe, however. :)
                The VMFA-531 Grey Ghosts are developing tactics such as those.
                "You live and learn. Or you don't live long."
                - Lazarus Long

Comment

heli's are at their strongest when missle sniping i always find, soon as then close a gap they are alittle easier to take down but still quite tricking, tbh tho i find my armours getting lit up far more often by fastmovers

AKA TG Xink | http://www.andy-hook.co.uk

Comment

Yeah helos on oman are deadly. I should know, i've been the bane of a few squad existences with that MEC chopper a few times :). The best way to get rid of the choppers is to give them as many lock tones as possible. Drives pilots crazy! But the best defense is a good offense and if the other helo gives me enough trouble the my effectiveness is severely reduced.

---

Comment

Let me just say last night the squad i was in took out about 4 or 5 helis. my squad leader had the best idea "get whatever you have and when i say go everyone open up on that heli!" some of us would hop into a vehicles and use their weapons, i have got very good at taking out choppers with rockets i got 3 kills with my rocket after my squad had softened them up quite a bit. i kept getting alot of thanks from my squad but there is no way i could of taken the helis down without their help.

also if a tank has a gunner and lets loose with both machine guns thats effective against helis.

so dont chicken out, if you have a full squad open up on those helis with whatever small arms you have it can be quite devistating, many times helis would leave quite quickly because the small arms fire built up so fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Riki_Rude_BTYC
                        Let me just say last night the squad i was in took out about 4 or 5 helis. my squad leader had the best idea "get whatever you have and when i say go everyone open up on that heli!" some of us would hop into a vehicles and use their weapons, i have got very good at taking out choppers with rockets i got 3 kills with my rocket after my squad had softened them up quite a bit. i kept getting alot of thanks from my squad but there is no way i could of taken the helis down without their help.
                        That's my new tactic! As soon as a chopper shows up, open fire with whatever you got! A focused, sustained fire from a full squad will really wake 'em up!

That match on Oman was a tough one, but we (USMC) managed to pull it off! The fire fights on the east ridge, south of the hotel flag were really intense! You did a good job Rude! My squad last night was excellent, and was even better when you showed up!

Comment

Ha, give me a 360 .50 cal and they are just another cloud in the sky.
                          When I get home people'll ask me, "Hey, why do ya do it man? Why? Just some war junkie?" Ya know what I'll say? I won't say a goddamn word. Why? They won't understand. They won't understand why we do it. They won't understand that it's about the men next to you, and that's it. That's all it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordy77
                            Ha, give me a 360 .50 cal and they are just another cloud in the sky.
                            Then i hate you :) I hate 50 cals and the people who man them :).

---

Comment

Originally posted by Brennus
                              That's my new tactic! As soon as a chopper shows up, open fire with whatever you got! A focused, sustained fire from a full squad will really wake 'em up!

That match on Oman was a tough one, but we (USMC) managed to pull it off! The fire fights on the east ridge, south of the hotel flag were really intense! You did a good job Rude! My squad last night was excellent, and was even better when you showed up!

thanks! that was the most intense fighting i had the whole day it was great, that squad was very good, hope to see you on the field again.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X