This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advanced SL Guide. Continued:

As the time goes by I have recieved a number of responses to the first Advanced Squad Leader Guide. Also as the days go by we as a TG community has become much more competitive, challenging and proffesional on every level. This thread is to help the new squad leaders to get started on how to keep your men under your control and keep them together, thus creating a service to the community by holding another efficient squad which what TG community is hungry for. Notice these ideas have come from all over the TG people. If I fail to cite your idea please forgive me.

A Squaddie can also benefit from this article as well. It is going to be a long read. Make sure you have your pajamas on.

This thread is the conituation of the following thread.
    http://www.tacticalgamer.com/showthread.php?t=56426
    A lot of things have been taken from there. But this thread is different because this thread will concentrate on what is more important. Also I have tried to add extra things from other people.

I will touch down little things and as different squad leaders have different styles they could develop from here.

----------------------------Infantry Formations------------------------------------
    When you move as a team there are a number of formations to use in land combat. The decision is dependent on the likelihood of enemy contact, and the type of terrain the team or squad will be moving over or through.

- Column:

You can move in column formation when enemy contact is less likely and the terrain is difficult. When you follow in this single column formation, maintain some distance in case of booby traps or a surprise grenade attack. (Taken from SimHQ) Please do note "MAINTAIN SOME DISTANCE".

EX:
    "Allright guys, let's move out to our objective. Column formation. Assault class take the lead"

- Line:

A line formation is when the team or squad moves up in a single line - say a ridge line to engage an enemy on the other side. It is effective when you're moving up to engage an enemy or to concentrate maximum firepower on a target. You're arm and arm next to each other; it's like a wall of soldiers advancing. (Taken from SimHQ)

EX:
    "Contact. SW. 4 Infantry. Make a Line of fire facing SW right here. Assault class move to E and see if u can flank them."

- Wedge:

The wedge formation is the best formation when moving from point A to point B as a team or squad. If you're a squad then there will be at least two teams, (two wedges). A wedge will have a point man positioned ahead at the tip of the wedge; the team moves at his pace. If he stops then the team stops. If he approaches a danger zone or an enemy that hasn't seen the team, he would report back and the team leader (usually in the middle of the wedge to direct his soldiers) would issue the orders to either engage or go around the danger area. (taken from SimHQ)

EX:
    "Move out to the objective. Wedge formation. Alpha front wedge. Bravo on me"

-------------------------------Vehicle Formations----------------------------------

There are number of suggested formations for a vehicle column. All of the Infantry formations can be applied here.

-Column

Same thing. One thing to make sure your squaddies are complying is to maintain distance from each other to avoid a bombing run taking out everything with one pass. (1stMIP rule)

- Line

Same thing. Can be formed to supress heavily on a base or when contact is present.

- Wedge

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/showthread.php?t=58107
    (Deathdealer)

NOTE: an engineer in a vehicle with the convoy would be extremely effective like the picture shown in Wedge formation. (Xinx)

NOTE: While taking a flag let the Tank provide cover from a distance while APC provides close cover due to its speed and flexibility. Infantries get on the flag together.

----------------------------------Maneuvering-------------------------------------

- The best way of moving from one point to the other while keeping the team together seems to have a lead position which can be taken by squad leader or a member. In the specified formation, rest of the squad follows the lead without disrupting the formation, never gets in front of the lead. Until the target point reached, squad members should follow "enemy engagement" orders of the leader. This is especially important for sneaky surprise attacks in which "hold fire" order is issued.

VOIP command: "Squad regroup on my position, column formation, hold your fire" (John Canavar. 1stMIP)

If you have any information about the enemy units on destination you organize the formation accordingly. Squad Leader taking a lead can be risky.

EX:
    "It seems like we have an APC, and a Tank on destination. Anti-Tank team take the lead."
    "I have no idea what is ahead. Sniper take lead and recon for us."
    "Moving through an urban territory. Assault take lead."

- Flanking:

Explanation in Story Mode:
    Your squad is moving through a lightly wooded area in a duel wedge formation. Suddenly you come under enemy fire from the front. The front wedge, Alpha team immediately drops to cover, and positions themselves in a line formation facing the enemy. Alpha team then opens up to engage and lays suppressive fire. While the enemy is suppressed the rear wedge, Bravo team, splits left or right on the direction of either the squad leader or the team leadert. Bravo team tactically runs left or right a good safe distance, then moves up parallel to the enemy line of fire and come in on the flank in a line formation. If it goes as planned, the suppression team is keeping the enemy pinned, creating a nice flank by the second team. Communication is key for timing and signaling the suppression team to shift fire away from the flanking side. The flanking team comes in and kills the enemy. (Taken from SimHQ)

Flanking can be done by a team or an individual. The indivudual must know what kind of force he is going to be flanking, whether to shoot each one of them with heavy fire (SAW) or use grenades for a surprise kill.

----------------------------Something to keep in mind------------------------------

1. Always call out enemy threats with direction either on defense or offense. Also direct your troops accordingly.

EX:
    "Prepare for defense. I got a Tank coming in from SW. ATs shift to SW side take care of that Tank."
    "Prepare for Defense. I got a full squad moving in on the S side. All units make a Line of fire facing S now."
    "Tank and an APC moving in through the road. SpecOps get some C4 s on the road. Let's set up an ambush."

2. Do not push your troops to overwhelming enemy forces. If the UAV shows billion enemy on your objective set up a suppressive line of fire and watch your flanks and start getting some kills.

EX:
    "Allright guys. Too much for us. Let us set up a supressive fire line. Remember, we are not moving in, Just keep firing. Medic get some med packs on this line. Ammo out as well. Watch our right and left flanks."
    It can further develop to this
    "Keep supressing guys. Squad 6 is moving in from the other side"
    "Artillery is firing on them. Medic stay with me. Everybody get ready to make a move on the flag."

3. If failed after a multiple attempts. Try different things. Do not keep trying with the same method or do not keep pushing your troops to do the same thing over and over again when it is apparent that your attempt is failing

EX:
    "This is not working. Let us get some armors."
    "They are watching their S pretty heavily... Let us spawn on N side of them and use those jeeps for a quick flank."

4. Never ever leave anybody behind. That is rude. That makes your squaddie wanna just join another squad. If there is a room in your vehicle wait for your squaddie to walk towards the vehicle and board it. Make sure you let your squaddies spawn on you all the time and make them accustomed to it.

EX:
    "Allright guys I am going to use the jeep to get behind their lines. If you are not in the jeep with me keep pushing and once you die respawn on me."

"I am in a full vehicle. You will be able to spawn on me in about 10 seconds."

5. Be a little more specific on your orders. Defensively and Offensively. Brief your soldiers before the action.

BAD:
    "Ok guys we gotta attack over there."
    "Ok defence over here now."

You are SL. If you pass down the commander orders as it is given to you what is the use of you? You are the one that makes things work.

GOOD:
    "Attack this position. Allright guys. Tank cover from outside of the base. Watch those enemy spawn points. APC unload me outside of the base and move in to the flag with rest of the guys. Unload them on the flag and cover them in close range. Infantries, I need you on the flag together. Convert it fast."

"We are going over to defence, here. AT team watch that NW gate. I am expecting some armors rolling in from there. Assault class I need you on the E. Infantry squad might sneak in from there. Jeep patrol to W and S. Keep me updated on what is going on."

-----------------------------------Attacking---------------------------------------

1. The main thing is to turn the flag or at least neutralize it to stop the enemy forces from respawning. (Tempus) A centralized order like "Bodies on the flag" (Beatnik) will get your soldiers running for the flag area. But do make sure the flag area is clear. Or the defending squad is distracted by something else and away from the flag area... It will be like a full blackhawk hovered over for 3 seconds and stole your flag away.

2. Vehicles can turn the tides. 4 infantries covered by an APC is unstoppable. 2 full jeeps rushing through the line of defence and turning the flag is deadly as well.

3. If you have some trouble ask for air support. Bombing runs can be requested directly from the pilots: The following thread explains the procedures to get set up for the direct request for bombing run from the pilots.

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/showthread.php?t=58463
    (StrikeFear)

You can also ask the commander to pass on the word to request a gunship support or bombing runs.

4. If there is an empty vehicle in the hostile flag area send one person to steal it to use it against them. It is their fault that they are not using it.

EX:
    "Ob1one I need you to sneak up on that APC and steal it."

5. Distract, Flank, Finish.

EX:
    SL: "Luus, AB come in to the flag from the E side. Clorox, Snap, X, move in from their North side.... I myself get on the South of the flag and and when I have at least 3 people who dies and respawns back on me I move in from the South which is completely left open due to my first wave as a distraction."

6. A good Squad leader finds and knows the safer routes. A good SL uses the terrain in their advantage. Knowledge of the map is greatly influenced to be a leading a deadly squad who accomplishes their tasks.

------------------------------Defending-------------------------------------------

1. Never leave a vehicle empty. You will biting your nails once an enemy squad sneaks up on you and takes your tank.

2. Cover all of the threat zones. Think about the flag area and think "What if I was a Squad who is attacking this base that I am defending. What kind of routes I could take." And put some people for recon. covering all sides. Once the threat is present use your men accordingly.

EX:
    Squaddie: "I got a boat sneaking on the north side flank."
    SL: "How many"
    Squaddie: "1 boat, full."
    SL: "Snap, Robo, go help out on N. Keep me updated on what is going on."

2. If there is a squad behind cover and suppressing you. You have to eliminate that threat. Send somebody to their flank. Or send and APC to rush that position.

EX:
    "Full squad on N side guys. APC get on their right side and rush these guys. Everybody else lets set up and line of fire facing N."

----------------------------Commander Communications----------------------------

Commander is also a person... On TG servers CO s are rather busy panicy people. You can suggest, request and everything like that from him. Also do what he tells you to do.

Always state your squad number (Bommando)

EX:
    SL: CO this is Squad 3. We need a supply drop as soon as it is available.
    CO: Roger that Squad 3. Supplies will be there once it is recharged.

EX:
    SL: CO... This is Squad 2. I am under attack by 2 attack chopper with and infantry squad. I need Air support faaaaast.... AAAAAAA.
    CO: Roger that Squad 2. Air Squad. Give me a fly by on this position.

EX:
    SL: CO... This is Squad 1. We cannot take that flag. We must ve tried 3 times now. I am ready for a new order.
    CO: Roger that Squad 1. Defend your position.

------------------------------Miscellaneus-----------------------------------------

What kit should a SL use?
    http://www.tacticalgamer.com/showthread.php?t=57303

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thank you for reading... Add anything that you think is necessary and I might have missed. Let there be more outstanding squad leaders. And let there be more nights with 5 full squads on each side.
    Last edited by hedgehog; 08-24-2005, 04:35 PM.

Re: Advanced SL Guide. Continued:

Great post. I don't have enough experience with the maps or the game to SL yet, but I'd love to squaddie under SL's that operate like this.

Comment

Great information, and it opens my eyes up to a lot of things I should be doing that I am not. I have spent time as both a squad member and a squad leader learning how to improve my game. Last night, I played under Icky as squad leader on Daqing attacking the East oil field, defending the Old City and defending the West Oilfield. I also ran a squad through a whole series of maps (Songhua Stalemate, FuShe, Kubra, Sharqi) and really benefited from having tremendous talent in the squad to help me out (Legato, Perry, Vodkatonic, Seppyk, 40ounces and many others throughout the maps) and at times did real well and others struggled to keep and hold objectives. We went up against TG's best including our defense of the Central Front (Songua) against the Bom squad and the defense of the Bridge camp and Upper Camp(Fushe) against Beatnick's brigade.

Now, I have tried to join Beatnick's, Bommando's, Wulfyn's squads before and it's difficult at best. Who else out there runs their squad along these lines that I can join?

Squad Leader in Progress

Lucky Shot

Comment

Nice guide B !

Those simhq parts are from Magnum50's Using Real World Tactics: to get the most out of your computer games article (http://www.simhq.com/_land/fps_021a.html)

A must read for all SLs.

Comment

Great followup B. This needs to be made a sticky.

A few reiterations/supplements:

-Providing some reasoning behind your direction/orders goes a long way. Even if it's "OK the flag to the NE looks like it only has 2 defending it...X Y and Z form Fire Team B, Z lead the team and take that flag", or "The other team is going to want this flag back - it's the only one on the east side of the map", providing some context for your orders keeps everyone in the loop.

-On assault, I can't stress enough the importance of AT LEAST *neutralizing the flag* before clearing out the area. I've seen too many times people trying to kill everyone on defense before taking the flag. Like B said - getting 4 people on the flag quick (ideally undetected) provides a huge tactical advantage.

-On assault, I also like B's (seeming) SOP of smoking/grenades when rushing a dug-in flag. I almost always forget to smoke it, but it's a very effective tactic.

-On defense: SLs should try to obtain/provide situational awareness for their squads. Get up high. Spot incoming threats and redirect your squad members accordingly. If your flag falls - STAY SAFE and let your squad members respawn.

-On CO communication: If you notice a CO going crazy ordering people to attack heavily defended (2-3 squads) points on a half-bleed map when your team has more than half the flags, don't hesitate to point out that defense MAY be a better tactic. More often than not, they appreciate the heads up. Of course if he orders you in anyway, follow the orders.

These are more tactical/reactive tips than SL general tips, but they can make a big difference in your squad's effectiveness.
          Beatnik

Comment

This looks like an exact replica of 1st MIP's SOP's hehe
            [age-c1][gchq-c1][support]
            TG-1st MIP(Currently Retired)

Comment

Edited and moved here so as not to hijack B's thread. (Sorry, B.)
              Last edited by Strag; 08-25-2005, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Excellent guide B!

Stuff like this inspires me to try to SL during the hours when I am more awake. I tend to become SL and CO when it gets late and nobody else wants to do it. That doesn't make for a very strong performance. :)

The biggest problem I have is thinking of plans quickly. I need to demand that my squad sits tight and listens while I work through what we are going to do.
                Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Originally posted by AntiVisual
                  This looks like an exact replica of 1st MIP's SOP's hehe
                  Heh, it's so true.

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
                  |TG-2nd|munchkin
                  Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

Originally posted by Bommando
                    Great follow up B. Much rep for you.

Smoking the flag is an underused tactic. I usually have 2 Assault kits when attacking and one will pop the first canister on approach, then the second pops on the flag when the first dissipates. In the meantime, the Support kit drops ammo packs to allow for a third smoke drop. This fogs the flag well and truly long enough for the assault fire team to turn the flag completely while the backup fire team keeps the defending squad busy outside the flag area.
                    Good stuff. Another tactic that hadn't occurred to me...
                    Beatnik

Comment

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is terrain and it's impact on fighting. I don't just mean concealment versus cover, but height and it's impact on attack/defense. Holding a ridgeline above a battlefield makes a great deal of difference in which squad is the dog and which one is the hydrant. A good example would be the Refueling Station in Kubra Dam. When an attacking squad is raining down grenades and brimstone from the road above, they are going to inflict heavy damage. The attackers can step back two feet to avoid fire, defenders can't lob grenades accurately and have little to no cover. However, that same squad charging uphill from the east side runs out of energy sooner, can't fully see the enemy, and gets pounded on the long attack.

Seems that people understand it, but I haven't seen anyone else talk about it.

Lucky Shot

Comment

Another (common sense) tactic occured to me last night. It's not explicitly mentioned here, and it seems that it's pretty underused lately:

I'd like to make an SOP for my squad members to spot EVERYTHING (using the Q rose). This tactic has several benefits. Situational awareness for your squad. Situational awareness for your team (including air support when you spot a lot of armor). It cuts down on confusing communication spam - e.g. "There's a guy in that building to the northeast of the other building near the base" and gets to the point. Of course a supplemental communication is sometimes appropriate - e.g. "See that spot I just put up? That's a whole squad moving in tight formation attempting to flank us from the east".

When playing last nite I realized that this is one of my favorite 'enhancements' over the BF1942/DC series. I used to 'spot' stuff all the time in DC, hoping someone on whichever pub server I was on was noticing. Allowing precise spots to be made is SO much more valuable, and efficient. It needs to be done all the time.
                        Beatnik

Comment

Originally posted by Beatnik
                          Another (common sense) tactic occured to me last night. It's not explicitly mentioned here, and it seems that it's pretty underused lately:

I'd like to make an SOP for my squad members to spot EVERYTHING (using the Q rose). This tactic has several benefits. Situational awareness for your squad. Situational awareness for your team (including air support when you spot a lot of armor). It cuts down on confusing communication spam - e.g. "There's a guy in that building to the northeast of the other building near the base" and gets to the point. Of course a supplemental communication is sometimes appropriate - e.g. "See that spot I just put up? That's a whole squad moving in tight formation attempting to flank us from the east".

When playing last nite I realized that this is one of my favorite 'enhancements' over the BF1942/DC series. I used to 'spot' stuff all the time in DC, hoping someone on whichever pub server I was on was noticing. Allowing precise spots to be made is SO much more valuable, and efficient. It needs to be done all the time.
                          with you 100% often if it for some reason puts a red "?" up, i than verbally fill in the details.
                          |TG-Irr|Legato

Comment

Originally posted by Legato895
                            with you 100% often if it for some reason puts a red "?" up, i than verbally fill in the details.
                            It is possible to right mouse click the "spotted-button" in the q-rose to get a list of all possible enemies.

Comment

Originally posted by Beatnik

Amen! It's SO much more helpful to put a red dot or icon on the mini-map to go along with a (sometimes unnecessary) verbal announcement. If everyone on a team did this consistently, the entire team would have a nearly complete, real-time picture of the battlefield at almost any given time. It takes almost no time to do, and yet it relays very valuable information to the entire team.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X