Claymores?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claymores?

How come these are not used more often when a squad is on defense. I know the main reason is "teamkill" but if a squad is holding/defending a position I think they would be a great benefit, especially on the perimeter....
    "If the sword is always sheathed, it will become rusty, the blade will dull, and people will think as much of its owner." —Yamamoto Tsunetomo, Hagakure: The Book of the Samurai

I prefer a challenge and teamwork rather than a stat loading server without sound tactical ideals.

Re: Claymores?

If I had to guess, it's probably because it's snipers that have them, and they're not exactly a "run up to the perimeter of where we're defending" type class.
    [volun2]
    NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

i use them all the time, but even with the great folks of TG, i literally get a 9:1 friendly:enemy kill ratio. it seems like people just ignore the red X assuming its a mine or c4. on top of that, 1 tk will really hurt you bad and its usually not worth it. trust me, i love the idea, and i've tried it many times, but it just doesn't work as well as it should
      |TG-Irr|Legato

Comment

Originally posted by Legato895
        i use them all the time, but even with the great folks of TG, i literally get a 9:1 friendly:enemy kill ratio. it seems like people just ignore the red X assuming its a mine or c4. on top of that, 1 tk will really hurt you bad and its usually not worth it. trust me, i love the idea, and i've tried it many times, but it just doesn't work as well as it should
        yeah I only use them to protect me and usually its either to flee easier or to defend my position. Plus you only get 2.
        Long Live the 2nd BCT and 1st MIP

Comment

falling back while placing claymores is a great time! it usually discourages the second guy enough to take his time :P
          |TG-Irr|Legato

Comment

Like I said, Claymores/C4/Mines should be given a different X icon or color

BF2 Name: Thez(NL)
            BF2142 Names:
            Thierry(NL) (Sniper)
            Dikkiedik(NL) (Assault)
            Kittekat(NL) (Engineer)
            Dimi(NL) (Support)

Comment

Snipers are not very in very high demand in a squad. Speaking personally, I prefer not to have a sniper in my unit, though I certainly don't mind if one joins.

Also, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think claymores generally take out more than one person at a time. They go off immediately when someone crosses in front of them, and the blast radius is too small to hurt more than the point man. Kinda lowers their usefulness.
              [squadl]
              "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

ive gotten 3 kills with one claymore before. the blast radius is somewhat small, but if its a cramped space and a squad is moving through it, you have the potential to rack up some nice kills. Claymores in my opinion are best used if you are certain that troops are going to move to a specific location within the minute. Otherwise you will get a tk 90% of the time, or nobody will even run over it and thats just a waste of one of your two claymores.

Comment

yeah, you can get multi claymore kills, its just hard, you need a clump of bodies. i usually place them in succession. on top of that, i agree with the different warning marker idea and would like to suggest to EA (i know your listening!) to allow the sniper to disarm claymores that he lays (like in metalgear solid 2 and 3, just crawl up behind them prone)

anyway, even tho i am a sniping fanatic in a game where snipers can finally be productive members of a team, i have no allusions to their usefulness. if you need a tank out, you need an AT. if there is somebody in my squad that likes sniper, i respect that position, but also keep them as floaters, changing classes as new threats arise.
                  |TG-Irr|Legato

Comment

The most annoying thing I find about Claymores and the main reason that I use them is that you cannot remove them once placed. I know I've been in a squad that was defending from a rooftop and a sniper has (smartly) placed a claymore at the top of the ladder...but if someone in your squad team for whatever reason needs to get back up to the rooftop from the ladder, they are screwed.

However, maybe there is a way to safely remove claymores and I just don't know it.
                    Jesus saves.....the rest of you go Spec-Ops and Assault

Comment

my favorite moment was during a passworded night on Sharqi. My team retook the hotel and another squad was there with us. I heard that two guys were approaching the ladder and I ran down there and shot the first guy. Then I put a claymore on the ladder for the second guy. Everybody else just stood with their guns pointed right at him (not firing though, so he could see them not shooting, probably confusing to him) then suddenly he gets the top... BOOM and he went flying
                      [age-c1] [gchq-c1] [air2] [tog-c1][tpf-c1]
                      [tg-c1]<victory

Comment

What they really need to do is change the death's head to a Claymore. Even a circle (AT mine), square (C4), and triangle (Claymore) system would be better. Then they need to give the Claymores a detonator. That would solve a lot of problems.

Since that seems unlikely and still wouldn't completely solve the problem I think the way we use Claymores should change. Right now they're only used to kill infantry. Mostly you see a few of them around blind corners and at the tops of stairs and ladders like booby traps. Since they're usually on areas critical for traffic they're dangerous for both teams.

I think we should start using them primarily as devices to deny the enemy terrain. For example Sounghua has flags that are surrounded by bamboo forest. The placement of the bamboo allows a large area to be covered by just a few Claymores. When the enemy moves through the mines they act first as an alarm and then if you catch the enemy in the field as an inhibitor to their mobility (IE: they hit mines trying to find cover). It's better for your teammates because they aren't booby traps blocking traffic. Eventually if this catches on they'll know to look out for other mines if they see just one and they'll be more likely to spot the traps if it's 1 of 5 as opposed to 1 of 1.

Comment

i think taking away the proxy fuse of a claymore will kill their use. also, i was thinking, that not only should you use different colors, but when you are in proxy to either a mine, c4 or claymore the red death's head emblem on the corner of your screen should pulse if your character is currently vulnerable to its effects. example:

infantry could approach an AT mine with only the red head, but if a soldier approaches a claymore (ap) it would pulse showing them that they are in direct danger of being killed by a friendly device.

if your driving a vehicle of any kind, a claymore would only give you the warning light, but a mine would give you a pulsing icon

c4 would always be just a red skull, but when the owner of it has the clacker out, than everybody would get a pulsing skull icon as opposed to a solid red one.
                          |TG-Irr|Legato

Comment

Originally posted by Legato895
                            if your driving a vehicle of any kind, a claymore would only give you the warning light, but a mine would give you a pulsing icon
                            I've found out the hardway that claymores can take out hummers.. Not that I was in a hummer that got blown up by one, but that I TK'd one. Sigh.

They are good as security alarms. Place them in a choke point on your flank, and the squad can watch the main entrance, but when your claymore goes off you can alert the squad to divert their attention off towards that choke point.

But, yea, not being able to disarm them sucks and limits my use of them. I've been in situations where I've put one down in the direction that the enemy will come from as they respawn while I'm taking a flag. We end up taking the flag before they respawn and now I have a claymore down where my team will be respawning from. Only thing to do is hop on the claymore and hope a medic is nearby...
                            Battlefield Admin() ()
                            [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                            [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                            | for | |

Comment

I read somewhere that engineers can disarm them (from the correct side of course). I'm skeptical, but can anyone confirm/deny?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X