Shadow Squad Leaders

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shadow Squad Leaders

OK so another 'tactic' occurred to me and I'm curious about other's experience or thoughts on the idea. This is geared more toward the 'known' or obvious SLs like Bom, Tarpan, Asch, B, Apo, etc... those who when you see them as an enemy you know they're SL.

What about designating an 'alternate SL' when serving as an attack squad? By this, I mean me designating another squad member to be SL, while still calling the tactics. This could get a little messy, but I think a primary advantage would be to have this person stay back and serve as spawn point, while I could charge in like I always want to and manage the attack more effectively. Also, defenders may be more inclined to target me more (I know I always try to spot the enemy SL and have my guys hunt them down), so I could serve as a diversion while the rest of my squad moves in.

Knowing full well that this 'tactic' may be a bit off the level, and somewhat shady, and definitely deceiving, I'm just curious what other's opinions are on this. It's purely hypothetical at this point, but could this serve as an occassionally useful tactic? Aside from not being able to hear the CO, what other negative aspects of this tactic are there? Is it just plain cheap?

And yes it's occurred to me that bringing it up in a public forum doesn't do well to keep it a secret. ;) I was going to post this in B's thread but this sounds like far from a best practice.
    Beatnik

Re: Shadow Squad Leaders

Actually, this is something that the 7th, and the 42nd are trying to implement. The minute the squad is formed, the SL appoints a Sergant to handle the details, while the SL handles the CO interface, intelligence, etc..

Comment

I would love to be the sergeant in the squad... So I can charge in with the squad because I love to be under the action when the assault is under way. But when I start to direct the men and the SL stay back, SL's feel intimidated and they leave their post. So I never try to talk too much when being a squaddie.

On personal note when there is a good soldier in my squad being a sergeant I love them for it. I can make the bigger decisions and he can make smaller decisions calling out people and telling them what to do while in action, so I can actually stay a little back.

Also I agree with easy identification of the SL. I always say "It is beatnik's squad... Hunt down Beatnik." or "Ok Tarpan is down. Clean up the rest of the people. Make sure nobody revives Tarpan."

Comment

I've considered it, but I like to be able to place down map markers exactly where I want them. I've just gotten better at not dying. Most of the attention swivels to me once I've been seen, so that gives my squad a bit more of an open door to move in.
        [squadl]
        "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

I was thinking about this the other day. Make the #1 soldier the radioman and then the squad leader can lead from the front like he should. The radio man could keep near the rear, communicate with command, keep an eye on the map, and request artilliary & supplies when the squad leader asks.

Comment

its a very good idea as more often than not im shouting "its tarpan ****, tarpans squad to the north!" or "aim for b!" as for giving orders as a squaddie that is something i dont do often but like to do if im told to command a fire squad, tho its debatable as to how willing a member is to almost purley be there as a spawn

AKA TG Xink | http://www.andy-hook.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Bommando
              I have definitely noticed a considerable amount of smackdown on me of late and this certainly hinders the progress of my squad. When I am sighted and hit, I notice a bunch of enemies converging on my position, so they basically chase me down at all costs. This kinda sucks for me because I am an aggressive SL as it is, so being identified makes it that much harder to stay alive. I also imagine that the defending squad knows to relax a little when the SL goes down, which would not happen if the SL was unknown.
              I don't think this would change any if you weren't the "spawning" SL. There are certain names that you see that merit attention, and your's, unfortunately, is one of them.

It's like if I see Trooper's or Clorox's name pop up: I don't know if he's CO, SL, or just playing sniper. I just know I better get the shot off quick, or I'm toast.

And are you still leading with your chin? Come on man, slow down, smell the roses, you'll live longer. :icon7:

Comment

where is our realism mod with "low tag distance", how much longer we will have to live with this vanilla?

Comment

Originally posted by John CANavar
                  where is our realism mod with "low tag distance", how much longer we will have to live with this vanilla?
                  Just an FYI, realism mods tend to empty the servers.

Comment

Oh Mateo, c'mon... whenever a realism mod is mentioned you are taking opfor position, somehow I dont think I represent a minority when it comes to realism mods, but we'll see in near future...

Comment

And I hate to hijack threads, we can discuss this somewhere else ;)

Comment

I was thinking about this on Sharqi the other night as you were attacking the radio station, Beatnik. I killed you or saw you get killed and would say over VOIP, "Beatnik's down." Then I started thinking, "What if Beatnik isn't the SL?" A couple times I noticed you go down real close to the action and I started wondering if you were actually the SL or if someone else was hidden out.

I guess we've played with each other enough that we've started to be able to predict things. If a notorious SL alot goes down, we know that the immediate onslaught is almost over. Swapping out the SL role, or just playing as a normal grunt, sure sounds like a valid tactic to me.. Confusing your enemy is psychological warfare :)
                        Battlefield Admin() ()
                        [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                        [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                        | for | |

Comment

Originally posted by John CANavar
                          Oh Mateo, c'mon... whenever a realism mod is mentioned you are taking opfor position, somehow I dont think I represent a minority when it comes to realism mods, but we'll see in near future...
                          It comes from my experience with Joint Ops here. When the vanilla game ran, the server was relatively full, had regular game nights, and life was good.

True, JO was a deeply flawed game, but it wasn't all that bad. Like BF2.

The realism mod came out, and all the sudden, there was the gnashing of teeth, and the server emptied. Maybe it was because the mod created as many new problems as it fixed in the vanilla game, but it pretty much killed interest in the game here.

So I'm a little skittish when people start touting a realism mod as the solution.

Comment

Originally posted by Bommando
                            Even more interesting would be a Squad Leader squad:

B
                            Beatnik
                            Bommando
                            John CANavar
                            SmokingTarpan
                            Wulfyn

... or something along those lines.

It would certainly cause some confusion ;)
                            Oh man, that would mean I'd be an SL somewhere, calling in Arty on youse guys.

Comment

You'd never get anything done! You'd all be sitting in the back waiting for people to die so they could respawn on you :p :icon_bigg
                              Battlefield Admin() ()
                              [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                              [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                              | for | |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed