Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commander tips

Hey All;

I'm real new to the TG community (< 24 hours now), but I have to say that you all are the community I've been looking for, for a long time now. For that, I wanted to start by saying thanks.

That said, it's been a humbling experience so far. I seem to do not too bad as a squad leader, and am able to formulate small quick plans to accomplish the commander-set objective. However, as a Commander, its a different story. I just finished commanding a battle wherein we lost 400-something. As a result, I started writing this post as a request for tips on being an effective commander.

But that got me thinking, does TG have any sort of commander school, or more generally some leadership training? I've had a look around at the SOPs and Annoucements and other elements of the site, as it relates to BF2, but I couldn't find anything of the sort.

So, my idea is this: what about some kind of live fire school for commanders? Maybe something like a server with smaller maps, and smaller team sizes, so that the budding commander doesn't have to go from managing one squad that he himself is an integral part of, to managing nine squads over an area far exceeding his visual range.

What kind of players would be best here? How about a limit on the number of squads? What about staged battles, wherein one team can't attack, or is otherwise artificially imposed upon, for the learning experience of junior commanders? What are your thoughts on this?

[drill][medic][conduct][tg-c1][tpf-c1]
    [ma-c2][taw-c1]

Principles of good Sandbox Etiquette:
    Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

Re: Commander tips

First of all, welcome to TG!

As far as tips for CO... Well, you can browse the tactics forum here for some pointers (there are a lot of good threads to be found), but really, there's no substitute for just jumping in there and taking your licks. Even the best COs get whipped sometimes, so don't take that personally.

Something else you can do is participate in our SM-only night (Monday), where many of the SMs try to get together on the private server to have some quality gaming. The numbers are smaller, and the squads are more organized. I'm sure whatever team you end up on will be happy to help you out.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Since I don't have much experience, I usually just play commander when there are less people on the server. Commanding 32 people can be hectic, but if there's only 20 people or 15 it's rather smooth and you start to get the hang of it.

Comment

I played with Diceman the other night. I can vouch for his SL abilities.
        "Umm Deputy these aren't my pants" - Common alarm cry of the North American Crackhead
        [tg-c1][ma-c1][defense]

Comment

if you need help with commanding just pay attenction to a good CO like tempus or bommando...get into chats with them on things.....ask ne regulars about how they do the whole commanding thing, dont be afraid to ask questions....
          that sounds like a good idea trooper.
          -Vulcan

Comment

One of the more important things a commander can do is stop attacking once your team has the ticket bleed against the enemy. What map(s) did you command I remember seeing you as commander and talking to you but I don't remember what map(s)?

Comment

One tip i have is... after a squad has captured a CP use the scan abillity... that way you can see if the enemy is mounting a counter attack against your newly aquired land. Using this new piece of info you can command your squads in that area easier... ambush etc

This can be hard to do in the larger battles with 30ish a side... but it can even work then, with a good commander

Comment

Thanks for the notes of support, and the particular tips that were offered. And Pickle's a hell of a squaddie.

The SM night sounds like a great idea, I'll be sure to be there. I'll also bear in mind to take command of smaller teams, and to not take my losses too personally.

But I was actually thinking of some formalized training regimen; like a series of self-study courses that the eager to please jr. commander can read, think about, and put into practice. Perhaps the commander version of a kata (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kata). For instance, one great resource might be printable maps which indicate the names of all the different control points on a map, plus all map features (incl. anti-tank, anti-air turrets, holes in fences, etc) highlighted. What other things could be feasibly put into a package like that, for someone to either view online or d/l and read?

[ma-c2][taw-c1]

Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Comment

Printable maps with the common names of significant features---- that would be a great deal of help.

*runs back to lurker land*
                  Kornkob

I want to move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Comment

Originally posted by kornkobcom
                    Printable maps with the common names of significant features---- that would be a great deal of help.
                    The strategies are worthless but the Prima guide has all the maps with the names of the bases and their assets. Pretty handy actually.

http://www.primagames.com/strategy/all/7100/

Comment

Originally posted by Turbo
                      One of the more important things a commander can do is stop attacking once your team has the ticket bleed against the enemy. What map(s) did you command I remember seeing you as commander and talking to you but I don't remember what map(s)?
                      I was commander for the latter half of Songhua Stalemate and Kubra Dam. We got pummelled in both. In Songhua, I only became commander because we were operating without one, and getting licked. In Kubra Dam however, MEC (my team) was in total disarray virtually the entire game. IMO, this was the consequence of two factors: (1) no clear battle strategy laid out in my own mind and (2) losing the Intake (MEC Airstrip) CP very early in the game.

[ma-c2][taw-c1]

Comment

Those prima guides look pretty interesting. I found the torrent for them on Oink's Pink Palace. If you're interested in getting an invite to oink's to grab them, PM me. (admin pls delete this if this is inappropriate).
                        Beatnik

Comment

Originally posted by Diceman
                          (2) losing the Intake (MEC Airstrip) CP very early in the game.
                          That was my squad that lost the airbase. Some how the US got 2 tanks, an APC, and a black hawk down to the airbase within 2 minutes of the game starting. I think they took it in about 5 seconds once they got their. Not much 1 squad can do against all the armor and a black hawk. Dice you might want to read the rules and sop forum, you requested something while we were taking out their assets in the UCB which can not be done on TG servers. :icon12: I think overall you were doing a good job at commanding, keep up the good work.

Comment

That was my squad that lost the airbase. Some how the US got 2 tanks, an APC, and a black hawk down to the airbase within 2 minutes of the game starting. I think they took it in about 5 seconds once they got their. Not much 1 squad can do against all the armor and a black hawk.
                            Yeah, I'd chalk that up more as my failure to appropriately direct the team rather than your being overwhelmed. I remember your squad as performing exceptionally for the duration of the battle.

Dice you might want to read the rules and sop forum, you requested something while we were taking out their assets in the UCB which can not be done on TG servers. :icon12:
                            :row__733: Yeah, I was getting some frustrated with being dominated by their air assets. Good of you to keep me in line, though. I see that as it all being a learning experience. Hope I didn't ruffle too many feathers with that request.

I think overall you were doing a good job at commanding, keep up the good work.
                            Thanks for the vote of confidence. I know I've got a long way to go, but it'll be with the help and guidance of experience TGers like yourself that I get there. Like I said earlier, you guys are the community I've been looking for. I'm in for the long haul here.

[ma-c2][taw-c1]

Comment

Originally posted by Diceman
                              :row__733: Yeah, I was getting some frustrated with being dominated by their air assets. Good of you to keep me in line, though. I see that as it all being a learning experience. Hope I didn't ruffle too many feathers with that request.
                              Its ok, I was frustrated too. Just trying to keep you out of trouble so you stick around. No feathers ruffled. Id be a SL under you command anytime.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X