Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anti-tank sniper squads = mobile artillery?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti-tank sniper squads = mobile artillery?

I was recently a member of a 6-person squad consisting entriely of snipers. We were all together on top of one of the smokestacks in the Daquing Oilfields, enjoying ourselves quite a bit.

But most of the available targets were vehicles, not infantry, and it occurred to me that we might have made more of a dent if we all had anti-tank weapons, rather than sniper rifles. We'd be sniping tanks, not infantry.

Anti-tank sniper squads = mobile artillery?

Re: Anti-tank sniper squads = mobile artillery?

That is a common strat -- position AT guys high up to lay in wait for armor to pass. High up in hills or on top of buildings, usually. Three AT guys working together can really do alot of damage to anything that comes through.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

I showed up in that squad late as support. There was one AT guy in that squad. He kept jumping off the tower every time he spawned. It was funny to see him spawn and then walk to the edge and disappear.
      "Umm Deputy these aren't my pants" - Common alarm cry of the North American Crackhead
      [tg-c1][ma-c1][defense]

Comment

An AT squad would have to keep moving. The rocket trails your weapons leave behind will surely mark you out and you can expect a quick bombing run or arty strike to annhillate the squad after your first kill.

For a squad like this, the SL would do well as a Support class, to keep the limited ammo for the AT's coming. The support's gun can also help suppress infantry that is supporting the enemy armour.

There is another thread on this forum about a rapid-response AT squad, perhaps mounted in a jeep or buggy. I think that this would work well also.

Comment

I have been thinking about this more and more since this post. This is something I would like to be a prt of if it is tried out. The thoughts about the AT trails is correct though. However, if three or even four AT's fire at the same target the trails won't matter :D. Another alternative is for the SL to spread out his squad more than normal so that the target would not have so many targets in one area.
          "Umm Deputy these aren't my pants" - Common alarm cry of the North American Crackhead
          [tg-c1][ma-c1][defense]

Comment

I've seen good work on a squad with 3 ATs, 1 Support, 1 Medic and a Sniper/SL. Spread out with enough space between them Arty/bombing runs aren't catching everyone and if the SL is removed from the fighting units, them's that get killed simply spawn back in again.

Pick the right hill and the AT squad can cover 2-3 bases on some maps with a short run from one place to another.
            Kornkob

I want to move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Comment

Yes, I agree about the smoke trails pointing to the position. However, as Pickle point out, given enough same-target AT strikes, witnesses would be hard to come by.
              How does a squad with an SL Engineer, 1 Medic and 4 AT's sound?

Comment

I'd dump the engineer and replace with support. Those AT rounds seem to disappear in a hurry.
                [tg-c1][ma-c1][defense]

Comment

I was on a map the other night (sorry new and dont know the names of the maps) where we had me as a support, one medic, and 3-4 AT troops. We were up on a rooftop and mowing down everything that came by. Of course we were not invincable as the medic was busy sometimes when a tank would get a good shot in or an enemy sniper would sneak around us to a tower. But all in all I got more points by resupplying these guys than I did with enemy kills.

And in the end we never lost the control point we were near and won the map. Which in the end is the main thing as I never really care about points, I just noticed how many I got there because it was so high from the great job our squad did. Credit the SL on that one. Wish I could remember names in that map.

Comment

I agree with pickle...

You could even go 5 AT and let the SL be support, as long as he hangs back out of action. He's still going to get tons of points from all those ammo resupplies. Woe be to the blackhawk with 5 AT rockets aimed at it.

Comment

You could go 5 AT and one support (SL) but I would advise against this. My reasoning is that if the SL is killed hopefully the medic can revive him. This will make it easier for squaddies to respawn on the SL if the squad is in a tight spot that is difficult to get to (ie Surrounded).
                      [tg-c1][ma-c1][defense]

Comment

OK, might there be a consensus on 1 SL Support, 1 Medic and 4 AT's? Perhaps with occasional use of vehicle/helo to move around?

Can we set this up and actually try it out in a game?

Comment

I would love to. However, I will be out of town for a week and unable to try it out with you. But when I return.....
                          However, let me know how it works out.
                          [tg-c1][ma-c1][defense]

Comment

OK, will do. Give us a shout when you get back.

Comment

i thought mobile arty would be an airstrike?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X