Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you respond to enemy air superiority?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you respond to enemy air superiority?

So, what do you do? I havent been playing for a long time, so Im wondering what others do.

In any given scenario, how do you react to hostile firepower from the air? Last night I was playing on server 1, and in one round when we didnt have a commander for half the round, I probably got killed at least a dozen times by Bommando alone, flying about in his bomber.

If we were in open ground, we were dead. I guess you can try to spread out to avoid getting killed in one bombing run, but usually he would just come around for another pass to clean up, and if there were any infantry or vehicles in the area, it was time to pick a new spawn point.

If we were on a fixed location, say defending a CP, we were more sustained but shorter-lived we could at least get under/behind some cover, but then wed end up spread out and unable to properly defend the flag, at which point the cavalry generally arrived to clean us out.

Even though at one CP I specifically remember having an AA missile emplacement, it was beyond useless; it just served as a convenient target for the attack helo when it showed up. If an attack helo did show up, we were occasionally able to muster a combination of vehicle weapons, AT and AA emplacements to drive it off. Drive it off, mind you, and then itd probably just go re-arm and repair and come back to hammer us again.

We were probably just lucky that we were playing USMC, otherwise the damage theyd have wrought bringing in a Blawk Hawk (which is another whole issue) would have reached ludicrous levels.

On that note, I find it to be very frustrating to have no recourse against enemy air assets other than asking the CO for air support.
    EasyMark - you've seen me in your crosshairs.

Re: How do you respond to enemy air superiority?

Originally posted by Dave-o
    If we were on a fixed location, say defending a CP, we were more sustained but shorter-lived we could at least get under/behind some cover, but then wed end up spread out and unable to properly defend the flag, at which point the cavalry generally arrived to clean us out.

Even though at one CP I specifically remember having an AA missile emplacement, it was beyond useless; it just served as a convenient target for the attack helo when it showed up. If an attack helo did show up, we were occasionally able to muster a combination of vehicle weapons, AT and AA emplacements to drive it off. Drive it off, mind you, and then itd probably just go re-arm and repair and come back to hammer us again.
    Air superiority just plain sucks. If one team has a strong fighter pilot and the other does not, it is bad news.

Some thoughts:
    - fixed AA isn't as bad as some people think

- don't stay sitting in it, just stay near it, or you are painting a target on yourself
    - get a lock on a jet as it passes and put two rockets into its rear
    - maintain a lock on jets when you aren't the target so that they waste their flares
    - .50 cals and automatic weapons cut through choppers in a hurry
    - find a semi covered location and engage every single freaking time you get an opportunity
    - 10 bullets from you might turn into a chopper kill for someone
    - I have dealt the finishing blow to a chopper with a pistol once and with a shotgon once
    - to avoid death, try letting your gun cool when the chopper turns to face you - they will be trying to find the person shooting at them
    - if the chopper seems to notice you and then pulls away, MOVE, unless you like eating tv-guided dinners
    - spreading out on defense is always a good idea, and the bomber will never get more than 1 of you at a time
    - get your defensive armor into locations which are not obvious from the air, like in-between buildings and under trees, but never right on the flag
    Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Hey Daveo,

I was on your squad in Fu She and yea Bommando was wicked in that bomber. The best way to deal with bombs is to spread out so your not as juicy of a target. You are a BIG target in a vehicle, so the best thing to do is to find a spot that is not in the open. I fiddled with a couple different spots at the Security HQ flag on Fu She and finally found one where I was left alone. If you have warning of an inbound bogey, don't be afraid to pop smoke to make yourself tougher to see, but more than not that won't help. If you are in a highly responsive squad, spot him and have everyone train their guns on the bomber. The best weapons for any airbound vehicles is the .50 cal on the buggies, much more so than the fixed AA emplacements.

As infantry, the best place to be is indoors with a gun looking out for inbound bogeys. It gives you cover, you can still see.

Had a good time last night in that squad with you, Lazybones, Diceman, Abra. Will see you on the battlefield.

Lucky Shot

Comment

Originally posted by icky
        Air superiority just plain sucks. If one team has a strong fighter pilot and the other does not, it is bad news.

Some thoughts:
        - fixed AA isn't as bad as some people think

- don't stay sitting in it, just stay near it, or you are painting a target on yourself
        - get a lock on a jet as it passes and put two rockets into its rear
        - maintain a lock on jets when you aren't the target so that they waste their flares
        - .50 cals and automatic weapons cut through choppers in a hurry
        - find a semi covered location and engage every single freaking time you get an opportunity
        - 10 bullets from you might turn into a chopper kill for someone
        - I have dealt the finishing blow to a chopper with a pistol once and with a shotgon once
        - to avoid death, try letting your gun cool when the chopper turns to face you - they will be trying to find the person shooting at them
        - if the chopper seems to notice you and then pulls away, MOVE, unless you like eating tv-guided dinners
        - spreading out on defense is always a good idea, and the bomber will never get more than 1 of you at a time
        - get your defensive armor into locations which are not obvious from the air, like in-between buildings and under trees, but never right on the flag
        And if all else fails, DUCK. :row__577:

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

The static AA does make a difference. You may not hit but if you can get the enemy aircraft to use his flares you've given the next thing that shoots a missile at him a much better chance. Even if he just dodges coming out of a turn or loop will make him an easier target for someone else. So in that way AA works but it only works in cooperation because you need someone else to take advantage of what you've done and that will most likely be a jet.

You can also use AA to protect friendly jets. If they get an enemy jet on their tail they should be able to fly over a friendly base for help. Even if you don't have AA just spotting the enemy jet helps a lot. If you do have AA the enemy jet is just following your jet so you know his path and with a little practice you'll know when you have the best chance of getting a hit. This can give an edge to pilots that are getting outgunned and goes double for the USMC since it always seems like their jets are slower.

Either way the ground and the air have to work together to be really effective. If your jet pilots are absent or you AA goes unused it's going to be a much harder map.

Comment

icky, Bommando and Arf have given you outstanding advice.
            I have only one more thing to add:
            How to call in air strikes
            SOP for airstrike requests protocol
            "You live and learn. Or you don't live long."
            - Lazarus Long

Comment

If you're manning a vehicle on defense, try standing next to the vehicle unless you see a target. That way the bomber doesn't get the nice triangle target box telling him where you are. I do this with APCs mostly. Good attackers will see an empty APC and make a beeline for it. I jump back in and blast them. If they get the jump on me, I either wip out a mine and throw it on top of the vehicle, or have C4 already on the back ready to blow.

If you need to move with a vehicle, I try to leap frog from cover to cover. Wait for the bomber to go rearm, scope out an area of cover, drive to it, and get out. Wait for the bomber to make his rounds again, and repeat.

Comment

Spread your infantry out on the ground so they aren't going to be all wiped out by random carpet bombing or strafing. Spot all aircraft you can.

A lot of flags have covered structures nearby which offer great protection from bombs; keep your armor inside unless you're actively using it. If there are no covered positions either sit outside the armor (although then you risk it getting stolen) or just drive around constantly changing directions. Alternatively keep your armor in small alleys and other tight spaces; they provide some protection.

If there's an incoming chopper, get all your .50 cals on it. A good M1 driver can sometimes get a shot on it with the main gun; the T-90 is less useful since its guns can't point up as far.

If there's an incoming jet disperse and find cover. If I'm in a tank facing a bombing run and can't get to cover in time (you only have a few seconds) I like to play chicken with the jet. The way it works is, you sit still and watch the jet attacking. Once he gets close enough I like to plant a shot with my main gun just above his nose. Immediately once he starts dropping bombs you start driving forwards. Usually the bombs will miss (sometimes completely, sometimes just partial damage that can be repaired by a convenient supply crate) and you can do a lot of damage to a jet with that main gun (his flight path is pretty predictable if he's trying to bomb you).

Ultimately though, terrain is the difference between your tank being a fiercesome fighting machine and a steel coffin, so keep your armor where it's safe. Areas with lots of buildings are fairly safe. Beaches are other open terrain (like Zatar Wetlands) are deadly; don't use APCs for transport over any open terrain if the enemy has good air support. Boats are sitting ducks; if you're getting killed a lot in a boat, take a transport chopper and fly very high - it might still be a target, but it's harder to hit than a boat and you can get through the danger zone and to your destination faster.

EDIT: Fixed grammar. Also I want to point out you aim slightly above his nose so he flies into the shot, if you aim for the jet he'll fly over it. Also if I'm gunning in a chopper and I've got no active targets, I'll shoot at empty armor at enemy flags; it'll respawn but they'll still be without it for 30s.
                Last edited by jepzilla; 09-09-2005, 02:13 PM.

Comment

A tank's main gun doesn't "do a lot of damage to a jet".

It disintegrates it. :)
                  - Lazarus Long

Comment

Ha, I think it does 60%-70% damage, no? Combine that with the other guns on the tank and you can take an incoming jet down pretty quickly though.

Comment

A frag grenade takes a jet out. (Don't ask me how I know.)
                      So, I can't see a tank's main gun just doing damage...
                      - Lazarus Long

Comment

I think that maybe depends on where you hit it. I shot an F-18 with an M203 at the end of a map today to see what would happen; it took a lot of damage, although I shot it right in the intakes.

Yet it takes 2 missiles to shoot a jet down, about the same number as an AH, and a shot from a tank won't take down a chopper. I think the jets probably have as much armor as the AHs, although perhaps with some very sensitive spots around the engines.

Comment

Get in the Essex and gun down a chopper on the deck. Make a note of how long it took.
                          Now gun down a jet. It takes about 1/5th the time. They're fragile compared to helos.

But as you say ... damage from different weapons DOES appear to be inconsistent - somewhat based on the target.
                          - Lazarus Long

Comment

Originally posted by StrikeFear
                            A frag grenade takes a jet out. (Don't ask me how I know.)
                            So, I can't see a tank's main gun just doing damage...
                            I took out a plane on a bombing run with one tank mortar round, one shot and it blew. It appeared to come straight from it's main base (I was next flag over) so I was assuming it was full health. It wasn't any real "lucky shot", he came in straight at me and super slow. His mistake :D Anyone would've hit him in that position.

Comment

I just tried it out, a tank will kill a jet with full health in 1 shot.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X