Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taking an aircraft - first-come first-served?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking an aircraft - first-come first-served?

Are there any accepted practices concerning who on a team can get into an aircraft at home base and fly off in it?

I've encountered 2-person squads that give the impression of having preemptive access rights to the available jets/attack helos, apparently because they managed to form their jet/helo squad before anyone else at the start of the game.

I understand that it's impractical to have a full 6-person squad trying to fly just two jets. But at the same time I'd like to have a reasonable chance to fly something at some time, and not be locked out by players who got to the aircraft first.

Re: Taking an aircraft - first-come first-served?

These squads don't have an official right to the vehicle, but usually the people in them are good pilots and will be allowed priveliges to them. As for being locked out, no vehicle squads should be locked, and you should be allowed a turn to the vehicle.

Comment

As Muncher said, these squads shouldn't be locked and you SHOULD have the right to be able to participate. At the same time, having a full squad when there are only two jets is a really poor use of assets if the other squad members are just sitting on the tarmac waiting for their turn.

There has to be a reasonable mix of access to vehicles by a wider player base and the effective use of the squad as a whole. In some cases when an airfield is not at a UCB I would suggest that the remaining squad members take up defensive positions to secure the flag and take turns with the vehicles, but in cases where the airfield IS at a UCB the question remains unanswered.

I would hate to see a "I'm better than you so I should fly not you" situation and would be quite upset at anyone that took that route to maintain their own aircraft dominance.

Any suggestions?
      Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Let's say we have 4 people in a jets squad - 2 in a bomber, 1 in a fighter, one waiting.
        The person who is waiting should attempt to support his squadmates my spotting enemy aircraft (as always) and manning AA emplacements and mobile AA.

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
        |TG-2nd|munchkin
        Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

Be sure to be in a dedicated squad when you fly. Don't join a regular ground squad and start flying, as you are expected to participate with the squad.
          Hear ye, of the dragon, Smoke is his name.
          Solely surviving the fires,
          and sad and angry he became.
          Until his angre became dismay,
          as the elders sent him away.

Now we can hear his wings, once a year,
          And, his empty cry we fear.
          Sad old Smoke, out there in the rain,
          We can feel your suffering, we can feel your pain.

Comment

Originally posted by Bommando
            1) The SL of the Jets squad should always be in the air, so he can report situations from the CO standpoint.

2) The Jets squad should never have 6 people. There should only at most be 1 more member than there are seats in aircraft.

3) Each time the non-SL is shot down, someone should take his place and have a turn.

4) If the squad is otherwise populated, then I think it's tough luck and the overflow players need to find something else to do.
            Not being arrogant here, but I really can't imagine a more authoritative opinion on this matter than the CO of the representative TG jet squadron - me.

In general, I agree with the principles behind jet squads. Unite them in one squad under the CO for best coordination. Don't lock the squad to permit asset sharing.

However, Bommando, I have to disagree on some of your points. I think they're too inflexible. My own experience tells me so.

1) I have been in Jet squads which were very effectively led by an SL who was acting as a forward observer and manning AA stations in the field. He competently spotted aircraft, assisted in air combat, and called airstrikes from the field. Your limitation is a mistake.

2) It's not fair to tell the 5th and 6th guy that they can't have a turn in the aircraft. This isn't an organized scrim - it's "free play" on the TG servers.

3) There SHOULD be a rotation through the cockpit. But it doesn't have to be every time a pilot is shot down. I typically fly 20-30 minutes before getting shot down, but it certainly can vary. Among the regular pilots, we all agree that "getting in the zone" is crucial to maintaining situational awareness and effectively prosecuting targets. The pilot should get a good 15 minutes of flight time before he turns it over, shot down or not.

4) There's enough seats that if 6 players are in the squad, they can get enough flight time, and make themselves useful. Personally, I rarely join a jet squad with full seats. But I don't think it's right to tell a player he CAN'T do the one thing he plays the game for.
            "You live and learn. Or you don't live long."
            - Lazarus Long

Comment

I've recently noticed locked attack chopper squads with just 2 people in it.. not naming names, but there is 1 person that I have noticed is consistent across these squads and I assume is the person responsible for the squad being locked. I don't know how often this happens, but it seems like when I'm interested in giving the choppers a try I'll find the locked squad. I'm good enough to fly the chopper around, but don't have much combat experience so I'd like some practice every now and then. Really frustrates me when I see a locked 2 man squad claiming the chopper as theirs.

A Jets squad is a good idea for the team to have for various reasons. If you want to fly, join the squad and ask for a turn. I've never heard someone not share on a TG server.. If you're in an infantry squad, your SL is counting on you to be there to help accomplish your squad's objective. Don't flake out on him/her and camp out at the airfield.
              Battlefield Admin() ()
              [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
              [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
              | for | |

Comment

Fair enough.
                So do you agree with me on my other disagreements, then? :)
                "You live and learn. Or you don't live long."
                - Lazarus Long

Comment

The CO runs the show. That's the point of teamwork - if you don't like it then play CO yourself. If the CO tells the Jet squad to drop down to 4 guys and lock it then they should drop down to 4 guys and lock it (this is about the only time you should see a locked squad).

No squad has an authorative right to any asset, but if the CO is directing the gameplan then you should be following his orders. Anything else just isn't good teamwork (regardless of how you think things should be done - but that is where negotiation comes into it).

Comment

I will assume Perry is talking aobut me although he might not be. I will ask the CO if he wants me to lock the heli squad with just two people, from there I do as I'm told. If I don't get a response it stays open. It does get frustrating though when people join and all they can do is gun, they don't know about the glitch, or even how to redirect the missle. Not only can we not get the jump on other choppers but I never get a chance to gun because I'm stuck flying the thing. People need to know how to fly AND gun. I think more than 3 men in the chopper squad is ineffecient. The air squad might need them for AA and what not but the chopper doesn't, beyond enemy choppers and enemy AA emplacements we leave it to the jet squad. Except for Dark Viper, he'll take down jets with his knife alone.

Comment

offtopic:
                      whats that chopper glitch?

Comment

Originally posted by Phelan Ward
                        I will assume Perry is talking aobut me although he might not be. I will ask the CO if he wants me to lock the heli squad with just two people, from there I do as I'm told. If I don't get a response it stays open.
                        Not talking about you, but you bring up a point I was getting at. If the CO wants it locked, that's fine. In cases I've seen, this was impossible as the squad stayed locked over 2 or more maps. I don't like to create dissension in the ranks while playing so I just keep my mouth shut. I wait to complain on the forums later :)

It does get frustrating though when people join and all they can do is gun, they don't know about the glitch, or even how to redirect the missle. Not only can we not get the jump on other choppers but I never get a chance to gun because I'm stuck flying the thing. People need to know how to fly AND gun. I think more than 3 men in the chopper squad is ineffecient. The air squad might need them for AA and what not but the chopper doesn't, beyond enemy choppers and enemy AA emplacements we leave it to the jet squad. Except for Dark Viper, he'll take down jets with his knife alone.
                        I agree with that. People should get the bare essentials down offline, but there's only so much you can do when the AI flies in set patterns, or you're trying to hit a particular tree while your chopper is sitting on top of a building..

Take the time to teach the gunner about the bug (FWIW, the chopper gun becomes misaligned when switching in to TV missle mode and then back, so you have to move the gun to all 4 extremes to get it realigned), give some tips about shooting the missle.. Who knows, you may be training the next chopper ace -- you had to start somewhere too :)
                        Battlefield Admin() ()
                        [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                        [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                        | for | |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed