Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should There Be A Greater Penalty For Dying?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should There Be A Greater Penalty For Dying?

Should there exist a greater penalty for dying other than a 15 second delay and one ticket loss? Often times, players aren't afraid to die and this causes such tactics as suppression fire and covering fire to be rather invalid. In addition, it causes players to not withdrew and regroup more often when they should.

When I play, I make it a duty to stay alive as long as possible. I make an effort to fall back if my health is low and I make an effort to fire like crazy to distract someone's attention so a mate can flank.

If there was a greater penalty for dying, I think people would do this more often.

Re: Should There Be A Greater Penalty For Dying?

Isn't it still 20 seconds?

Comment

I agree with everything you said saber. I'd like to see respawn pushed up to 60 seconds (with 30 seconds critical) along with a whole bunch of other similar changes that I've been promoting in order to slow the whole game down and promote/reward smart and careful play.

Comment

I dunno I like the spawn counter. I like the arcadynish of the game. What you get with a longer 60 second counter is the inability for the opposing team to fight back very well. They get crushed.

Az
        [age-c1][command]

Comment

Some players may charge in without thinking about dying because they could be revived. Perhaps removing a ticket when becoming critically wounded in addition to losing one when killed. So a revive will make your team lose one ticket instead of two.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I don't know that the impact would do what you would want it to do. The impact of a longer (1 minute) spawn time or 2 ticket death would reward those who can deliver mass death. I think the impact of bombers would increase as well as the artillery bombardment. If you artillery first, bomb, then run in your armor, defending infantry would have little to no chance to hold a flag. My KDR is something like 3:1 in a vehicle, not bad. The KDR of a good bomber is like 40:1. A commander with artillery is likely also 40:1. Knowing that I face such a long spawn, or 1-2 dig penalty depending on whether I get revived would send me waiting for armor or even learning to fly. Part of what draws me to TG is the intense, organized firefights. The firefights become MUCH less intense if you can only reasonably attack in one wave before your minute timeout. I fear that the fight would become less aggressive, and very patterned (Artillery to soften, Bomb, or Vehicle fire from Distance, followed lastly by a squad of infantry).

I like the status quo, but understand that others may want to change it.

Lucky Shot

Comment

In some ways it would be good, but it would be overrun by armour and artillery, infantry wouldn't get a look in with the long spawn.
              Essentially the game is meant to be fun, and this would ruin it IMO. Clanmatches with 20 minute timelimits would be ruined. a 2 ticket penalty might be good, but that devalues the flag values

Comment

That isnt a way this game is meant to be played. Its an arcade game, ther are pleny of games out there with such a level of realism. Personally i too like this arcade style of play, thats why i dont play OFP instead.

Comment

60 second spawn time???
                  Geez that means if you get keep gettin spawnkilled by a bomber you never get the chance to play.

BF2 Name: Thez(NL)
                  BF2142 Names:
                  Thierry(NL) (Sniper)
                  Dikkiedik(NL) (Assault)
                  Kittekat(NL) (Engineer)
                  Dimi(NL) (Support)

Comment

Yeah Thierry hs beat me to my point - longer spawn times put the game more in favour of assets, and less in favour of infantry. People in a bomber could rule a game single handedly.

Ticket loss comes about in two ways, deaths and flag bleed. To increase it for fragging would dampen then tactical element of the game, and make flags less important than killing.

Not saying these are unwanted, but they are some of the side effect I imagine would happen.

Comment

Simply increasing player respawn time would clearly be a mistake because of how much that would imbalance the infantry game. Many changes would have to be made to slow down everything (player/vehicle respawn times, commander asset reload times, remove bomber, etc.)

Players would probably also need to change their play style to be more careful, clever, and dependent on other members of the team in order to stay alive and successfully complete objectives. Coordination between your squad, the commander, and other squads on your team would be much easier to facilitate with the slower gameplay and would be a much larger factor in your team's overall success.

I think that I would prefer this style of play compared to the fairly chaotic and uncontrollable environments that we play in today. But who knows, it could be crap, I just want to try it. :)
                      Last edited by SgtDuke; 09-18-2005, 01:57 PM.

Comment

We should see if there's a server side mod you can do to cause 250,000 volts of electricity to course through your mouse when you die...I think that would make people a little more cautious.
                        sigpic

Comment

Isn't it possible to change the respawn time on the server to check it out?
                          I think it's gonna get frustrating to wait 30-40sec ++ when the enemy is blitzing all the CP's ;)

To get a bit off-topic; I would say the HW's penalty for getting blown up is to low. If you die in your tank/chopper/plane, it respawns just a few seconds after yourself and your brand new tank is ready for action. I would like to see if it's gonna get very unbalanced with longer respawntime for HW.
                          "That is not an ordinary rabbit ... 'tis the most foul cruel and bad-tempered thing you ever set eyes on ... that rabbit's got a vicious streak. It's a killer"

Comment

Increasing the spawn times on Dalian Plant would ruin the map. Two J-10's and the attack chopper go after the boats and Blackhawks coming ashore, and in the mean time the ground forces are able to get all 6 flags due to the increased time that victims of the helicopter and boat mishaps have to wait. How many times has that map started with at least one fully loaded transport being destroyed, if not two or three?

At least now, with the shorter spawn times, the USMC can respawn and quickly try again and have a chance at getting ashore.
                            Battlefield Admin() ()
                            [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                            [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                            | for | |

Comment

Originally posted by perry
                              Increasing the spawn times on Dalian Plant would ruin the map. Two J-10's and the attack chopper go after the boats and Blackhawks coming ashore, and in the mean time the ground forces are able to get all 6 flags due to the increased time that victims of the helicopter and boat mishaps have to wait.
                              That's a good point about how the USMC would have an early disadvantage, but I don't think that it would ruin the map.

China only starts with one J-10 and it takes awhile for the second one to spawn (and will probably take even longer if we increase the vehicle respawn time along with player respawn time). The two F-35Bs and the two Essex AA guns should be able to make short work of that lone J-10 and at least scare it off if not destroy it.

I don't know that the Chinese attack chopper would be able to reach the shore outposts before the two USMC Blackhawks and Cobra did. I think that the crew(s) from the Blackhawk(s) won't have a problem grabbing a shore outpost or two.

And I think that at least one of the boats should be able to make it to shore. The two F-35Bs and Essex AA guns would be doing a very poor job if they allow a J-10 to make two or more unchallenged passes to take out both boats.

But who knows, let's try it. :) Even if it didn't work and it became unreasonable for the USMC to get ashore then we could possibly change the map so that USMC starts with the shore outposts and China starts with the inland outposts, like Oman.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X