Squad Leader Reports

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squad Leader Reports

I was thinking this would be a good way to help us all improve as squad leaders. Basically its a simple rating system to be said at the end of the match thats easy to understand.

(I was thinking about 4 main categories rated from 1-5)
    The ratings go as follows (simple way):
    5: Extremely brilliant, couldn't be better
    4. Very well done
    3. Gets the job done efficiently
    2. Needs improvement in this area
    1. This is an area that the squad leader really needs to concentrate on

Here are the categories:
    1. Leadership - Listens to his squad members and finds that he supports other squads well and the way he/she runs his squad with discipline and keeping everybody battle ready (opinion based)
    2. Tactics - Basically being smart with position and moving onto flags and clearing out the areas and a good run of ideas and use of his squad mates to the best advantage (different from tactics)

So basically at the end of the map you would say:
    Good job squad leader! I give you an SLR of 4-3
    (That relates to the order of the the categories)
    The squad leader can then ask for elaboration

Please give critique about the categories or any other ideas you may have

Edits:
    Combined categories and removed these
    1. Basic Leadership - Listens to his squad members and finds that he supports other squads well
    2. Administration - The way he runs his squad with discipline and keeping everybody battle ready (opinion based)
    3. Tactics - Basically being smart with position and moving onto flags and clearing out the areas
    4. Ingenuity - Good run of ideas and use of his squad mates to the best advantage (different from tactics)
    Last edited by Mishkan; 09-18-2005, 11:42 PM.
    [age-c1] [gchq-c1] [air2] [tog-c1][tpf-c1]
    [tg-c1]<victory

Re: Squad Leader Reports

Cool - that sounds fun!

So - what are you thinking, that after being in a squad, you could jot down the numbers for a squad leader and PM him later?
    "You live and learn. Or you don't live long."
    - Lazarus Long

Comment

That or say it out loud at the end of the map over VOIP
      [tg-c1]<victory

Comment

From my perspective, it might be easier to rate if you had only 2 ratings. I'd suggest trimming it to Leadership (combine basic leadership and Admin) and Tactics (combine tactics and Ingenuity)
        Kornkob

I want to move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Comment

Well I had a hard time choosing between detail and being concise. I see your point though.

Edited!

Also, a squad leader can ask for elaboration if he wants
          [tg-c1]<victory

Comment

Good idea but would probably be better in a PM. If the SL got all 1s im sure he wouldnt like it told to him right off, but rather in a politly worded and helpful PM. If however the SL got good marks then theres no reason not to just tell him right off.

Comment

Personally, if I am SL, I ask people at the end of the map what they thought of my SL-ing, comments, questions, etc. Commonly, the squad members are also on TS, so I can get their opinions while loading the next map. I also use the time before the game starts to review what worked, what didn't, our plans for the new map, and to get suggestions on what I should work on. IMO, a rating system like that, while providing a basis for comparison, doesn't really give the SL specific ideas of what he should work on.

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
              |TG-2nd|munchkin
              Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

I think the rating idea is great. Reading this thread, it occurs to me that I don't often enough ask for feedback on how I'm doing as SL.

"Nobody said anything...I must be doing brilliantly!"

Something to work on for the future.

Dice.

[drill][medic][conduct][tg-c1][tpf-c1]
                [ma-c2][taw-c1]

Principles of good Sandbox Etiquette:
                Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

Comment

Yeah, I would love to get feedback, particularly with some elaboration if there's something the squaddies think I'm doing wrong. Sometimes I have a squad which just works really well and other times it's like herding cats; I'd love to know if there's something I could do to make the latter work more like the former.

I've got to say, the herding cats experiences are discouraging and usually leads me to avoid squad leading for a few days. :P

Comment

I would appreciate feedback on my squad-leading also. Sometimes I feel like I had a great game leading, other times I feel my squad wasnt as organised as i would have liked.

I support this rating system.

Comment

Well, I like to step up as SL when I can, but if I am going to be analyzed and rated, I'll join the masses and defer to someone else. I suggest that if you want to comment on how your SL did his job, you do so in a constructive way via PM.
                      Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Fine by me, I always play SL and I wouldn't at all mind getting ratings, even if they are negative. I mean comon, people you've never met, and are never going to meet saying you didn't do that well leading a virtual squad in a virtual war in a GAME online could never ever make me feel sad.

Comment

I don't think it's a sad/happy thing. It's the threat of intimidating a potentially outstanding squad leader before they get a chance to develop. But I think that if the whole context of the ratings is constructive criticism, it's a great system. Everyone has 'blindspots' where they may not perceive an area of improvement, and this could help provide some valuable feedback. Definitely feel free to use this with me in PM's.
                          Beatnik

Comment

I'd love to have PMs sent to me on why I suck as a Squad leader or why I'm one of their favorites (only the extremes..ya know..=P). No seriously, any comment about how I led would be helpful. The main reason I stuck with being a Sqaud Leader was because of one PM saying they loved my OMG 1337 sqaud (hence why I kept the name). I think just stating ratings and not explaining them would make me question what I personally need to do better. With a PM, I could PM them back and ask them questions without ruining game time for others. Great idea!

Comment

Yeah the reason I started playing as SL more was positive feedback and a few nice mentions in the forums. That's another thing we can all do more in addition to this rating system - make sure to let if someone know if they do a great job!
                              Beatnik

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X