Mastering the Shotgun - Tips From a Pro

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mastering the Shotgun - Tips From a Pro

Being an Engineer is part stealth, part assault brutality and part defense. It's a class that plays much different from many other kits. It requires more fluid movements and timing.

Here are a few helpful tips to making you a shotgun master.

1) With the shotgun, you don't need to crouch in order to be accurate. This gives you an advantage over other classes.
    At close range is where you are at your most lethal. Move around alot. Stop to fire and keep moving until the pump animation is complete. Aim for the head and after a while you will be able to get one-shot kills with little trouble. Your movement will determine if you live or die. Run around them in circles, this seems to work best. The key is to keep moving except when you fire. If you are out in the open you can survive against around 4 assault guys that are firing at you and barely take a scratch if you do it right.

2) Examine the area you are going into BEFORE you go into it. Make a note of all the places you can take cover in. You can use
    these places for cover during combat and as a place to hide while you reload.

3) Surprise is your best friend. Be patient and wait for the enemy to turn their back. Then rush in or stealth in and take out the first guy...the others will be alerted..but by using tip #1 you should be able to take them out at mid-range or closer ange by using circle patterns or using cover. Hide behind cover, then step out and fire. Hide behind cover or move again while the shotgun finishes pumping.

4) Sometimes aggressive assault can work great. Use sprint to run into the enemy camp using the first three tips. This can sometimes throw the enemy off-guard.

5) Mid-range and close-range are somewhat the same in tactics. At mid-range you want to use cover alot more often, but move quickly. Close-range try to stick to fluid motions...zig-zags and circles.

5) Mine tip. You are defensive as well. Place mines in darkened areas on the ground...shadows or burnt ground. Enemies will rarely see them in time.

If you master these shotgun tips you will be able to take out half a squad of assaults with barely a scratch at mid-range or close range.

Wanted to add something. The shotgun isn't for everyone. And some people may never get it down. But if you are having trouble with the tactics used with the kit...try mastering the Special Ops (I keep calling it that from the DC days..but not sure if that's the name?) kit...many of the tactics are similiar to the engineer. Suprise and over-take the enemy with superior movements. Once you have that kit down...using the shotgun will get that much easier.

Re: Mastering the Shotgun - Tips From a Pro

And learn when to bust out the pistol or knife. If your shotty target is point blank and your still pumping, whip out that knife and shove it in their jaw.

Comment

very good tips, they get the xink seal of approval, especially the stealth part, engineer is a thinking mans kit, not for everyone but extreemlu deadly in the correct hands

AKA TG Xink | http://www.andy-hook.co.uk

Comment

As opposed to Assault not being deadly in stealthy hands? :) They way I see it in any situation where you can get a kill with a shotgun, you can also do it with a fully automatic Ak47.

-

Comment

But then you have to reload, and why use auto when you could just newb tube em? What if your play USMC? And really if you want to talk stealthy, take special forces and use only the silenced pistol, C4, and knife. Assualt can't deal with 7 guys without aving to reload, where as the engineer can if in good hands.

Comment

exactly, 7 shells, each worth one kill, try that with an AK

AKA TG Xink | http://www.andy-hook.co.uk

Comment

what about an M24......10 shots 10 kills.
              that sounds like a good idea trooper.
              -Vulcan

Comment

Pansy, get up in their face and fight like a man.

7 shells, 59 kills... =P

Comment

one sweet gun for the private server is the jack hammer....you get up close with that one and make people mad all night
                  that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                  -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Phelan Ward
                    Pansy, get up in their face and fight like a man.

7 shells, 59 kills... =P
                    I find that when people get into 1on1 combat with a sniper, they grossly underestimate him and try to make it a perfect kill, or knife him. But the silenced pistol to the head is actually fairly effective, if not close to a match for full-auto. And also, many people dont understand (on pubs, anyway *embaresed*) that the knife is a one hit kill. People who go prone on you or stay stationary are easy targets.

Dont get me wrong, usually, automatic weapons beat semi-auto weapons, 1on1. I'm just saying, dont underestimate any class. Even the whimpy little submachineguns. It's all bullets people.

Comment

I have a friend who plays engineer and out of the people I play regularly with (sniper, medic(me), assault/spec ops) he has the best k/d ratio and most kpm. But he also has most teamkills because he is really good and hiding his mines. He recently unlocked the jackhammer and just laughed for about an hour strait.
                      P180 & Tagan 420
                      Epox 8NJPA
                      Sempron 2800 @ 2.44
                      Geil 1GB 3200 2-3-3-6 1T
                      X700Pro @ 500/520
                      Zalman 7700Cu, VF700Cu and NB Passive

Comment

Originally posted by YegaDoyai
                        I have a friend who plays engineer and out of the people I play regularly with (sniper, medic(me), assault/spec ops) he has the best k/d ratio and most kpm. But he also has most teamkills because he is really good and hiding his mines. He recently unlocked the jackhammer and just laughed for about an hour strait.

The Jackhammer is AWESOME..maybe not as good as the DAO. (well..for me personally anyway)..but still a very awesome weapon :)

Comment

DAO-12 owns all, though I am surprised how poorly people use it.
                          The DAO-12 is a SEMI-AUTOMIC shotgun, which means that those 12 rounds of 96 armorpiercing damage can come out as fast as you pull the trigger.
                          I've seen people fire it slower then pump action...

Jackhammer is awesome (the sound!!) but IMO it should have more ammo in a single clip (10 shots) and much more ammo.

BF2 Name: Thez(NL)
                          BF2142 Names:
                          Thierry(NL) (Sniper)
                          Dikkiedik(NL) (Assault)
                          Kittekat(NL) (Engineer)
                          Dimi(NL) (Support)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement