Useful Sniper Video

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Useful Sniper Video

I've always had trouble with the sniper rifles in Battlefield 2; I wonder how much to lead my target, how much bullet drop there is, what my accuracy is like when I'm standing or prone, if the bullet will actually go where my crosshair is pointing...

So basically I just left the sniper rifles alone. Then I saw this video (warning: some bad language, written not spoken) and it was really helpful. Basically the sniper rifle is like the one in Starsiege: Tribes; the bullet travels there instantly and doesn't drop or anything. I went and picked up a sniper rifle today, and I got 10+ kills real fast without worrying about bullet drop or anything.

So there you go. I just wanted to share the video, since it helped me see visually how the rifle works, especially compared to all this crap we've been hearing about bullet drop and stuff.

Re: Useful Sniper Video

Fact: Sniper rifles dont appear to have any bullet drop.

Fact: If this is the same video I think it is (m95>vodnik?) then it is hardly worth lokking at except for a nice montage. What you dont see is all the "missed" shots. Not to mention the dubious nature of the kills on the vodnik and jet.

Fact: The only thing that will make you miss in bf2 with a sniper rifle is the accuracy. It is plain luck, half the time, of whether or not you hit a stationary target at distance.

Note, when I say fact, that's simply what I've observed having mostly played sniper class, preferring the m24 and m95.

Comment

That's a decent video and illustrates a few good techniques. Most of that guy's shots in that movie were what I would consider short or medium range however (only 1 long-range shot, and just barely). I also wouldn't recommend charging with the knife. :P

As for bullet drop/travel time, this is my authoritative word on it:
      1. Sniper rifles do have bullet drop. The bullet drop is small and over short and medium ranges insignificant. But if you want to make headshots at long range, you must account for it.

2. The bullets do not travel instantaneously. They are fast, but at the extreme range of the rifle the bullets can take almost a quarter of a second to arrive.

The M95 is generally useless. Only take it if you are OpFor since it's better than the SVD (the SVD is not really a sniper rifle) and Type 88 - so inaccurate, does this even count as a gun? I'd call it a musket with a scope. Yes, you can kill people through glass. No, that's not very useful since shooting through glass seems to significantly decrease the accuracy of the weapon. I'm not sure about how effective it is at killing vehicles, I'll have to see how much damage it does (I've never been able to blow anything up with it). The only significant advantage the M95 has over the M24 is a slightly faster ROF, the significant disadvantages it has are: worse scope, less accurate.

I'll also point out that while the game says the gun is an M95, it's actually an M82 (I think M82A1, but maybe M82A2).

Comment

Originally posted by jepzilla
        I'll also point out that while the game says the gun is an M95, it's actually an M82 (I think M82A1, but maybe M82A2).
        It is the M95.
        http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn03-e.htm

But the M95 is basically just a bullpup design of the M82.

As for bullet drop and speed, jep is right. At far distances you have to aim above their head for a kill and it takes a second for the shot to get there. If it was instant, you wouldn't have to lead a moving target, but you do.
        |TG-33rd|Dark_Viper

Comment

Was that guy hitting the gas tank or something on those vehicles?

Comment

M82 is semi-auto, no?
            Battlefield Admin() ()
            [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
            [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
            | for | |

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Santa
              Was that guy hitting the gas tank or something on those vehicles?
              Blackhawk = He hit it with the 95 and then it hit a tree getting him the kill.
              F-15 = If you look closely, right after he shoots it, another plane comes in from the right and rams it. I'm guessing it was an empty plane and that's how he got the kill.
              Vodnik = I can't figure that one out.
              Boat = It was on fire when he hit it so it just blew.
              Cobra = It was smoking pretty bad so it was probably on fire and he got the last hit on it.
              |TG-33rd|Dark_Viper

Comment

sniping take skill no matter what game you play.....just takes time and patients to learn how to play.

M24 is by far the best sniper gun in this game....when you shoot keep your finger on the triger and it shows the scope long enough for you to see the hit or miss..then reload...aim directly at your target...the drop isnt ne thing that i have ever worried about...i usually get 15-25 kills on a good night and map....ask a couple of good snipers.....mateo. arf. tau. clorox find out what they do.
                that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                -Vulcan

Comment

i have to agree that those shots are close range for a sniper, when the body fits between 2 of the horizontal lines you can consider it a real sniper shot, then you will see bullet drop.

try sniping from 1 side of the valley to the other on the dam map, that was my first every long range sniper battle, it took me a magazine to realise about bulletdrop then i started aiming high and hit.

luckly i was USMC so the MEC sniper couldn't get his shots near me (less zoom and accuracy), this showed me that the M24 is the best sniper, while the Chinese and MEC snipers are just accurate assault rifles with a good zoom.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Viper
                    It is the M95.
                    http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn03-e.htm

But the M95 is basically just a bullpup design of the M82.
                    Hmm, I just looked at a picture of the gun from the game, and hadn't realised the gun in game was a bullpup. So you're right it's not an M82A1. But the M95 is bolt action, so it's not an M95 either. It's a weird cross between both. Maybe an M82A2? That's a bullpup isn't it?
                    As for bullet drop and speed, jep is right. At far distances you have to aim above their head for a kill and it takes a second for the shot to get there. If it was instant, you wouldn't have to lead a moving target, but you do.
                    There's also a brief lag between when you press your fire button and when the bullet actually fires that you have to account for.

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR]
                      the drop isnt ne thing that i have ever worried about...
                      The drop is only significant at extreme ranges. However even at long ranges not accounting for the drop can turn headshots into chest shots if you're unlucky.

Originally posted by Preston85
                      this showed me that the M24 is the best sniper, while the Chinese and MEC snipers are just accurate assault rifles with a good zoom.
                      That's what the SVD really is. It was designed by the russians to extend the effective range of their normal infantry, not as a sniper rifle. Same is true of the Type 88. I don't know why EA/DICE didn't equip the MEC and Chinese with actual sniper rifles, like an SV-98.

Oh wait, yes I do. EA/DICE suck.

Comment

i'd still say no bullet drop.

But its hard to know because the sniper has a random deviation to it

To be sure someone should try shooting a mate at 300m like.... 300 times
                        ,then we'd know

-Or some modder can easily check the variables in the game - and i once read a post that the bulletdrop for pistols is ON but sniper is off.

I've played sniper quite a bit and have no troulble getting hits from far away.

But at 300m the deviation can easily be 1 meter thus seeming to be bulletdrop

my 2cents | and y last post on this bulletdrop thingy :)

Comment

I'll chime in and confirm what jepzilla and DarkViper were saying. There is bullet drop and at long to extreme ranges (>250m) you need to start accounting for it or you'll be hitting the ground before their face when they go prone.

This is already accounting for deviation. If I take 5 shots aiming at their head at long range and don't hit, then take 1-2 shots aiming above their head and hit, and this happends regularly over many games the satistical tendency would show that there is bullet drop.

Also, I don't consider anything but M24 a sniper rifle in this game. Sniping to me is about picking off targets from ranges where they cannot see you without a sniper scope. At close ranges you can snipe better with G36C then with this game's 'sniper rifles'.

-

Comment

Okay, I just watched the video and it was really useful to me.
                            I sucked sooooo badly at sniping so I only tried it once in a while. Now that video showed me that I was sniping the wrong way. ;) Instead of chasing the running target with the crosshairs I just let them run in (except when they are in a spot and just move a bit of course), I can't believe I never got that idea myself. :P

Anyways, I did some offline practicing and I really hit the enemy a lot more than ever before. However, it seemed I had the most success with the M95 but oh well.

Also, I noticed on offline practicing that I usually hit the enemy normally while it was a lot harder doing that online.

Thus my guess is (just a guess, not a fact): maybe there is no direct bullet drop, meaning maybe we only experience the latency as some kind of a bullet drop and maybe that's why you have to aim more carefully. Though that should be tested on a non-moving target online, too (but I'm sure someone already tested it).
                            About bullet travelling: offline I hit instantly, online it took about half a sec or less (probably due to lag) before the enemy died or took damage.

Comment

Bullet drop videos: http://www.totalbf2.com/forums/showp...63&postcount=7
                              Battlefield Admin() ()
                              [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                              [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                              | for | |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed