Becoming a more versatile BF2 player

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Becoming a more versatile BF2 player

I've been playing BF2 here at TG since the demo was released, and since about the first week of July have played almost exclusively as SL, except when I could find a spot as a squad member in someone else's squad for a game or two. While I think this is good in some respects, it's not so good in other ways. Specifically, I've developed a few blindspots with BF2 that I'd like to address.

I'm going to try to branch out a little more and learn some other roles in the game a little better over the next few weeks. Expect to see me playing commander more often, sitting in on more air squads (which is by far the one aspect of the game that I have the least experience with), and doing some other roles, possibly trying out some of the tactics Tarpan was trying out with 2- or 3-man squads a couple months ago. I'm thinking deceptive/ambush defenses and deceptive/covert assaults.

What I ask from you guys is cutting me a little slack while I play catch up in some of these new roles. ;) Especially the Air Squads - let me know how to command you most effectively, and shoot me any pointers/tips if I'm flying with you. And hold still if I'm attacking you. ;) Also, don't take it personally if you see my squad is locked - most likely I'm trying something new and don't want to screw up you guys' games while I learn.
    Beatnik

Re: Becoming a more versatile BF2 player

I have tried the 3 man squad a few times on Zatar. It works good when you can sneak in behind the enemy and snag a flag quickly. It throws off the front line, instead of that squad pushing forward they have to move to the back and it opens up some good opportunities if the commander can get another squad to strike fast at another location.

Comment

Good luck Beatnik!

I've tried to expand my repertoir from just sniper to other classes/vehicles, but as anyone that has been on a squad with me, the question that comes up is "you're a sniper, right?.....shouldn't you be doing that?"

Man, I must suck at the other classes. LOL. :row__687: I just don't have the reflexes to hang with you drop and shoot types.

Pretty hopeless in the vehicles as well. Don't let me drive, and anyone that flys with me is looking at a respawn. :icon13:

In the hills, or in the trees, 500m + away. That's where I'll be.

A man's got to know his limitations.

Comment

Good luck to you Beatnik, it makes the game a little more interesting trying new things.

I've been doing more air work lately in the choppers and jets. Feel relatively comfortable in the chopper but still can't seem to dogfight well or elude enemies in the jet yet. First love is still ground infantry though.

Comment

Iím planning on bombing you even if you are in a jet :D

Comment

Yeah I don't see ever becoming a good pilot in a jet, but I've tried bombing a couple times and as much as I curse sun and moon when my squad gets bombed, it is fun to get a hit.

I figure it can only help my situational awareness to learn the strengths and limitations of all the different roles of the game. At least more than I know now...

And yeah I see the 3 man squad being a completely flexible squad that assumes whatever role the commander needs at that point, whether it's opening up the opfor defense, taking out assets, knifing snipers, or assisting squads under attack. Kits would change as the situation demands.

Maybe it'll just be an anti-UltraBom squad. ;)
            Beatnik

Comment

It definatly helps to try everything, especcialy the air squads because youll have a better idea of what a jet squad can or cant do as a CO.

Being a squad leader a lot helps when your CO as well. You know what a squad leader expects from the CO, youll have a better idea of why SLs do certain things, etc etc.

Comment

Well actually I was just saying that because I've been trying to kill aircraft, transport helicopters specificaly, with bombs and it's turned into a kind of obsession. Last week I was trying to get the first confirmed jet kill with an AT kit until someone did it too me first. :(

Jet's aren't complicated, they just require timing and a little teamwork.

Comment

Originally posted by Arf
                  Well actually I was just saying that because I've been trying to kill aircraft, transport helicopters specificaly, with bombs and it's turned into a kind of obsession. Last week I was trying to get the first confirmed jet kill with an AT kit until someone did it too me first. :(

Jet's aren't complicated, they just require timing and a little teamwork.
                  I actually bombed a friendly attack helo.....without meaning to of course :( (Cymba was flying it)

I LAW'd the MIG-17 in BFV on Operation Hastings :D Only did it that once. Haven't gotten a jet on BF2 yet, but I did spend one map making attempts on Dark Viper...didn't succeed.

I am not the world's greatest CO and my use of the air squads definitely sucks. Something I have to work on. I spent a map in an air squad sitting on the Essex manning the AA gun. I'd tell the pilots to come back to the ship when they were being tailed by a J-10 so I could shoot at them. Worked pretty well, they seemed to bail once I started shooting at them. Allowed my guys to reload/repair.

Comment

Originally posted by Arf
                    Last week I was trying to get the first confirmed jet kill with an AT kit
                    Sorry, I shot down Santa with an Eryx a couple of months ago on Kubra Dam. :D

Jet squads
                    The way to command jets is to do two things:
                    1. Assign standing orders periodicially. Your job here is communicating what the biggest threat the ground forces are facing: enemy armor, enemy helos or enemy jets.This helps the jet squad prioritise when they're left to pick their own targets.

You need to understand the capabilities of the jets. A fighter is nowhere near as good at killing ground targets as a bomber. If you're USMC on Oman your fighters should probably make killing the enemy bomber their main priority, on other maps killing helos or protecting the bomber could also be the priority. You need to communicate with the jet squad so they can better assess what to spend their time on.

This doesn't have to be a constant thing, but every so often (5-10 minutes) ask your SLs what their situation is with regards to armor/helos/jets and communicate that to the jets squad.

2. When you have specific things that need killing, assign an attack point and let the pilots know what they're shooting at: AA, tanks, APCs, helos, etc... If the jets are up and not currently dogfighting they should be able to get bombs on that spot in less than 15 seconds (and that's a conservative number). Also don't be afraid to ask your jets to hit a flag swarming with infantry, but make sure you spot a few out so the pilots can line themselves up for a decent strafing run.

If you call in a bombing run on a flag that's swarming with friendlies, make sure they move away. I hate getting an airstrike request on a piece of armor surrounded by 4 friendly guys...

Sniper squads
                    Unless a flag is empty, don't assign sniper squads to assault flags alone and expect them to cap a flag. As a sniper I interpret attack orders to mean: 'shoot at the guys here' not 'cap this flag'. :P

If there's a well defended flag you want capping assign the sniper squad to attack with a normal infantry squad. Give the sniper squad time to move into position. Snipers can take out defenders on .50 cals very easily and can significantly reduce the effectiveness of enemy cover. Plus they attract disproportionate amounts of attention, so when the infantry squad moves in they have an advantage of numbers (or at least, surprise). Likewise, don't expect a sniper squad to successfully defend a flag against any major assault.

If you think there are too many snipers, ask some of them to become normal infantry.

Comment

Thanks for the air tips Jep. I got commanded a round of Mashtuur (MEC side) last night and it went pretty well. Of course no air there but it was good to get back in the saddle for a game. Looking forward to commanding a more challenging map.
                      Beatnik

Comment

Originally posted by jepzilla
                        Sniper squads
                        Unless a flag is empty, don't assign sniper squads to assault flags alone and expect them to cap a flag. As a sniper I interpret attack orders to mean: 'shoot at the guys here' not 'cap this flag'. :P

If there's a well defended flag you want capping assign the sniper squad to attack with a normal infantry squad. Give the sniper squad time to move into position. Snipers can take out defenders on .50 cals very easily and can significantly reduce the effectiveness of enemy cover. Plus they attract disproportionate amounts of attention, so when the infantry squad moves in they have an advantage of numbers (or at least, surprise). Likewise, don't expect a sniper squad to successfully defend a flag against any major assault.

If you think there are too many snipers, ask some of them to become normal infantry.
                        I cry foul sir, foul!

First of all, as one of my favorite targets, you can attest to the strength of a sniper squad.

Second: a sniper squad can cap and defend a flag, but it must be one suited to the class: the center construction site on OMAN for example. Get Tau, Troop, and myself there, and we can handle anything up to armor. Other flags tend to be hit or miss. Long lines of sight are key.

But you are right, there are limits. Against armor and air, pretty useless. If a sniper squad is surprised, and the battle is up close and personal.....that's a problem, but not insurmountable. I've become proficient killing with the pistol, knife, and claymore up close, as have others.

But I agree, the CO should order some to switch classes if the squad is all snipers. 2-3 snipers, with and AT, Medic, and Support.....that's a decent squad.

Comment

i agree...as a sniper i have a line of sight that no one else on the map can see. i can see when a squad is spawning and the medics keeping them going...i can both those out and 2 shots..and cripple a squad. Also as a sniper i make a great SP..ask turbo bubba and the guys i played with last night/

we had defence on a base in the damn map, and i could call out infantry and armour before it got to my base so we could defend it.

until perry comes and knifes me...or bunny hoppers. i am more effective then i think ne other kit in game or on the field

squad setup last night.....
                          SL:trooper Sniper
                          medic
                          2 AT
                          1 engineer
                          and one support...bubba
                          that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                          -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Beatnik

What I ask from you guys is cutting me a little slack while I play catch up in some of these new roles. ;) Especially the Air Squads - let me know how to command you most effectively, and shoot me any pointers/tips if I'm flying with you. And hold still if I'm attacking you. ;) Also, don't take it personally if you see my squad is locked - most likely I'm trying something new and don't want to screw up you guys' games while I learn.
                            I'm slowly learning the SL role so jump in any squad of mine and you can practice your new kits.
                            Long Live the 2nd BCT and 1st MIP

Comment

Originally posted by Beatnik
                              Thanks for the air tips Jep. I got commanded a round of Mashtuur (MEC side) last night and it went pretty well. Of course no air there but it was good to get back in the saddle for a game. Looking forward to commanding a more challenging map.
                              Your commanding was pretty funny because you had the IFF bug. For about 20 minutes i thought you were getting 10 teamkills with every single arty you laid down. Then i realized you had the IFF bug and suddenly got a little more hope for you :) You seemed to do well at keeping your squads spaced out as well. We had ticket bleed most of the time.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X