Desperate PLEA for piloting tips.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desperate PLEA for piloting tips.

Ok. I used to LOVE flying games. LOVE THEM. Star Wars Rogue Squadron, Top Gun, etc.. but trying to fly on BF2 is just making me sickingly frustrated. I SUCK!!!!!!!!! I've tried it with the joystick, I've tried it with the keyboard....suck suck suck. I didn't think it would make such a difference to transition from thumbs to a joystick. Are they're any AWESOME tips you guys have? I'm begging you here. I'm getting more and more used to the chopper, but the jets (which I thought would be easier than the chopper) just freak me out. I usually crash on the ground trying to shoot something that stays in my crosshairs for about 1/10 of a second. It's JUST TOO FAST!!! And then, it seems that when I turn down the speed, I'll lose momentum and just drop. What in the world am I doing wrong!?!? Some guy last night was OWNING everyone in the jet. He was surgically pinpointing everyone with his machine gun. I've been playing since the game came out and I still don't think I've managed 1 single, solitary kill with the machine gun. I've gotten lucky here and there with a bomb or missile, but......*sigh*..............I just suck at flying. Plain and simple. :(

Re: Desperate PLEA for piloting tips.

Well the best tip i can give you is use your joystick, sure...ther'll be some Maverick out there who can pwn with m + kb but joystick makes turning and maneauveuring well easier.
    I tend not to concentrate on choppers but on air to air and ground, bombs take practice just get on an empty server and do it. Also your joystick should have the "hat" button, set your views so you can quickly check behind and see were your bombs landed.

For dog fighting i do alot and alot of loops, vary these and turn out of them sometimes, it will be best to turn out of one when your enemy loses sight of you, missiles hardly track, you might aswell call them team seekers as they seem to hit team mates easier than they jet.

Id give you more basic tips but i gotta go, Dark Viper is the best pilot ive seen, try asking him.

Comment

Originally posted by XS-StrikeEagle
      Well the best tip i can give you is use your joystick, sure...ther'll be some Maverick out there who can pwn with m + kb but joystick makes turning and maneauveuring well easier.
      I tend not to concentrate on choppers but on air to air and ground, bombs take practice just get on an empty server and do it. Also your joystick should have the "hat" button, set your views so you can quickly check behind and see were your bombs landed.

For dog fighting i do alot and alot of loops, vary these and turn out of them sometimes, it will be best to turn out of one when your enemy loses sight of you, missiles hardly track, you might aswell call them team seekers as they seem to hit team mates easier than they jet.

Id give you more basic tips but i gotta go, Dark Viper is the best pilot ive seen, try asking him.

Thanks a bunch. And it's always a pleasure to ask another Viper for tips. :p

Comment

There really is no way to make yourself a good pilot other than practice.

As for tips...
        Bombers have a bigger hitbox than the fighters so it is easier to hit them with guns and missles in a turn.

It's all about timing with the missles, learn when to fire them when the target is switching directions or straightening out.

Bind a look behind key or button that is easy to reach.

If you ever did dogfighting in BF42, then using the guns to shoot down planes is a breeze.
        |TG-33rd|Dark_Viper

Comment

great hes turned to the "dark" side...as in we need more AA guns to keep them in check
          that sounds like a good idea trooper.
          -Vulcan

Comment

Practice, practice, practice.

Yes, the jets are very fast relative to other vehicles, and you don't have much time.But the jets guns are very powerful can kill most things very quickly. Bullets also have parabolic trajectories, so you have to account for that when you're shooting at other jets. If the other jet is in a tight turn you'll have to lead it by a significant margin - which means you'll be inside his turn and he'll be able to lose you soon, so you have to practice to get your aim right because you won't have long to gun him down.

Missiles are usually easy to dodge unless the person firing them is Dark Viper. :P

The jets can actually slow down quite a lot, however you need to learn the stall speeds. 350 knots is just about the BARE minimum you can go, and the slower you fly the less manoeverable you are. Plus your engines take time to adjust to different throttle levels so if you slow down to minimum speed and then adjust your throttle you are going to crash. You have to anticipate your needs and adjust your throttle in advance. Use the afterburners for immediate bursts of power.

Fly at full speed all the time except for brief periods on attack runs. A slow jet will be shot down very easily.

If you are dogfighting, do not just react; think and try to predict what the other pilot will do, then move to take advantage of it.

Also, you need to have your graphics relatively high to take best advantage of the jets. View distance needs to be max. Geometry should be on high, and effects should be at least on medium or you won't get contrails.

Don't feel too bad if you're flying around on TG servers and you get show down a lot. There are some very good pilots... particularly =PL=Polska, Dark Viper, Arf and Xeil. If you get shot down by a couple of perfect missile shots, or TV missile that was probably Dark Viper. If you got shot down by 2 seconds of perfectly aimed gunfire, that was Polska. :P
            Last edited by jepzilla; 09-28-2005, 03:21 PM. Reason: Fixed stupid spelling mistake.

Comment

Thanks a million guys. I'm gonna have to print this, so I can have it as an immediate guide. :p Anyways, I've never played on a private server with you guys. What do I need to do?

Comment

The main TG BF2 servers are in the server browser. I just use IPs though: 70.86.19.218 is server #1 (64 players). 67.19.26.150 is server #2 (48 players). Server 2 has been a little empty lately although I think people are trying to populate it now.

To play on the private server you have to become a supporting member. Private server nights are usually sans avions.

Comment

You can hold constant-altitude flight in all jets at 295 - perhaps 290.
                  You have to keep your nose up.
                  Also, it's not very useful to do that. :) But it's possible.
                  "You live and learn. Or you don't live long."
                  - Lazarus Long

Comment

So what would be an ALL AROUND good speed? For attacking, bombing, maneuvering, etc.?

Comment

Originally posted by Tranceviper
                      So what would be an ALL AROUND good speed? For attacking, bombing, maneuvering, etc.?
                      Full throttle once you know what your doing. :icon6:

But again nobody can tell you. Just fly around a bit and use what you are comfortable with.
                      |TG-33rd|Dark_Viper

Comment

is there a button you can press on the keyboard that looks behind you? I wish i would have know about it if there is!

Comment

Originally posted by catcherguy247
                          is there a button you can press on the keyboard that looks behind you? I wish i would have know about it if there is!
                          F9, F10, F11, F12

They all switch to different views. F9 eliminates the cockpit. The others are different views behind you. Holding down ctrl (I think) and moving the mouse makes your look out of the cockpit.

Comment

Originally posted by XS-StrikeEagle
                            Joysticks are for wimps. Mouse + keyboard all the way.

I'd recommend on adjusting your sensitivity settings and then moving them up as you get better.
                            [age-c1] [gchq-c1] [air2] [tog-c1][tpf-c1]
                            [tg-c1]<victory

Comment

i know about the f9 f10 f11 f12 buttons but they just cycle through flyby and stuff.

Edit: OH yes f i beleive it is f10 that looks head on and you can see behind you

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X