4 man squads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 man squads

I was just thinkin (yes, dangerous) about how we're all so fixated on full 6 man infantry squads and wondering if having 4 man squads would be better at certain times. I guess what made me think about it is Gulf of Oman requiring 5 flags to make the other team bleed and how with 30 (+ 1 commander + 1 reserved slot) players you won't have 5 full squads to hold the flags.

So if you have 24 ground pounders, you have either four 6 man squads or six 4 man squads.

Defenders already have a theoretical advantage of whatever percent, so if they are attacked by a 6 man squad they should, in theory, be able to hold off the attack. If their commander is able to give them intel on which direction the attack is coming from they can realign themselves and put up a fairly competent resistance.

It'd allow for a stronger attack if you're sending in 8 guys in two squads instead of 6 in one. Commander can assign them to attack from two directions and the force would have two mobile spawn points.

Pulling this off would require pretty much the entire team to be dedicated to making it work (people not filling up their favorite SL's squad, not making several 1 or 2 man squads..) so it may not be something to try on a normal night, but maybe on a full password night or scrimmage.

Kit layouts would be another issue, but with competent SL's and grunts I think a proper arrangement could be figured out.

I'm thinking it would give more flexibility to the commander in how he/she plans out the team's offensive and defensive strategies. Anyways, just an idea that ran through my head..
    Battlefield Admin() ()
    [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
    [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
    | for | |

Re: 4 man squads

An interesting idea indeed. You really seem quite the tactician! I am sure this would work in a number of situations like 'Rapid Response' or 'Utility' squads.

...I was about to tell you the problems I see in using two 4 man squads to attack a flag instead of one 6 man squad. I was going to say that when I lead a squad I much rather if I am the only squad attacking that point so that I can best form a strategy without another squad potentialy ruining the element of surprise or doing some other random action that would ruin my plans.

I was going to say all that stuff and explain why I thought the 4 man squad thing would ultimately be a bad idea but then I changed my mind. I remembered that the best moments of my squad leading have been because of a distraction caused by a different squad wich allowed my squad to perform perfectly executed flanks and occasionally take a flag which had two full squads defending it without any of my squadmembers killing an enemy. The two four man squads could use the simple "Fix,Flank, Finish" tactic.

I also remembered that when my squad is on defense and we come under a sustained attack from one direction I frequently tell most of the defense to move to that direction. Its only on a rare occasion that my defending squad is attacked from more than one direction (thats just my experience). But when it does happen you have to react very quickly to repel the second attacking force or else you will loose your flag.

So, at first I thought it was a bad idea but now I think it could be a very good idea if the two 4 man squads have experienced SLs.

Oh, one more point. It would be a whole lot harder to defend with only four guys in your squad unless you keep the two four man squads together.

Nice idea though

Comment

Originally posted by 0b1one
      An interesting idea indeed. You really seem quite the tactician! I am sure this would work in a number of situations like 'Rapid Response' or 'Utility' squads.
      That was part of my thinking.. then I wondered how it would work if it were used on a larger scale.

If you have 6 squads, and need to hold 5 flags, then the 6th could be a rapid response to haul tail over to the flag that's under attack and help out..

You're right, it is rare that a flag will come under attack from two full squads from two different directions. But, in that case, even a full six man squad would be overrun and 2 extra tickets lost. And in that case, the other team has certainly left a flag undefended so the commander should be able to realign the team and pick up that flag.

On attack, you have one of the 4 man squads come barging in through the main entrance, make a lot of noise, and distract the defenders. The other sneaks in quietly through the back and hops on the flag.. Get it changed, then clean up the mess.

Like I said, you really would need the entire team on board to make it work.. A fast reacting, quick thinking commander, squad leaders that are able to adapt to rapidly changing orders, squad members willing to put the team first, etc. You couldn't have people seeing 4 people in a squad and joining up, they'd need to go to the 3 person squad to fill it out. But if it did work, I think it would really allow for some new tactics to be put in to action. It'd really make us a force to be recoked with during scrimmages :)
      Battlefield Admin() ()
      | for | |

Comment

And on some maps, like Dragon Valley 64 with 10 CPs, you need all six ground squads at different flags in order to hold bleed if you don't want to risk splitting a single squad across multiple flags.

Comment

Damn.....there's a lot of lightning and thunder outside my window right now. perry, would you hold me?

Comment

A solid idea, makes perfect sense, only thing to do is test it.

Use the 5 ground squads to defend there selected flags. Then have the 6th squad a AIR squad, 4 members again with 2 plane pilots and attack heli pilot+gunner. The ground units can then concentrate on flag/infantry defense and call/spot the enemy armoured units for the jets to bomb or the helicopter to TV missile.

So the jet squad would be the rapid response squad, so would require at least a balanced air situation or superiority.

Taking the flags could be the only problem with this tactic, as USMC it isn't to bad, you only need 1 more flag, I would go for the North West flag, a 4 man squad in a RIB+Armour should take that flag unless the enemy blow the bridges straight after spawn. I would attack this flag as I think it would be the easiest to defend, Mines on the road from the MEC airbase, C4 on the flag + a sniper to cover the hills.

As MEC the position is much hard to get 5 flags as they require to take 2, beach spawns, I think there best bet would be to concentrate on defending the 3 they start with, blow bridges then 2 attacking squads to the Wester most beach flag near the US arty. Don't go for ticket bleed and use the 2 squads on that spawn to keep the USMC arty down.

Comment

Excellent! Commander's Perry and Preston are going to try out their new theories really soon! ;)

Comment

In a full 32 man server you need at least 3 full 6 man squads. Most 4 man squads will get torn while attacking a 6 man, and very often they will get beaten by a 6 man squad.

Sure you can take more CPs, but the enemy will be able to choose what CPs they want to hold, while you will defend the ones they do not.

I have experimented alot with 4 man squads on both sides, as an SL with Utility 7 and as a CO. 4 man squads are of great help, they are generally invaluable as long as they know their place. Quick reaction time and specialty action. A 4 man squad should be in a helo, jeep at all times or have ready access to one. They should be able to react from assisting another squad to destroy/repairing assets. The SL needs to be quick thinking and realize the limitations of his squad.

I find that if you have air superiority the transport helo is the BEST choice for this squad, ( Utility 7 is now experimenting with Helo squads at the moment too ) medic at the helm, two gunners, and an engineer or AT in the back. Although not the powerhouse it once was, the Blackhawk is quick and in the hands of a capable crew can decimate infantry still.

Az
                [age-c1][command]

Comment

I'm not so sure that having 4 man squads make the bulk of your team is a good idea, I think you neeed a full squad to handle an organized assault.

But I think Azreal is on to something. Say you have a few specialized squads of 4 men each, Anti-Armor, Heavy Assault, Support(Support/Med/Engineer/SF) for instance. Then the other squads could fill up with classes more suitable to their specific task without having special classes around just in case.
                  The guy you were going to have as AT to take on the occasional incoming vehicle is now free to play medic. The engineer who was supposed to lay mines can now play assault instead. Etc etc etc.

Point is, if you can "outsource" the specialty classes, you will free up hands for other tasks that are more likely to come up. When a situation arises that you cannot handle (Multiple armor, heavily defended area) you call in the cavalry.

Comment

Generally the setup I used when leading 4 man squads was Medic, Support, Spec Ops, Open slot. Of course that could change on a moments notice. COing I found that a tight knit 4 man squad is roughly 2x as fast as a 6 man squad. In reaction and movement.
                    [age-c1][command]

Comment

Three 4-man sqauds for rapid movement and smaller defense flags (12 total). Three 6 man sqauds for bigger situations (18 total). Equals to 30 people + 1 CO (31). One of the four man sqauds can be the Air/Jet sqaud with two airplanes and a helo. This setup would work ideally imo.

You don't need to cover all flags at every single minute. The NW Flag on Oman is hardly ever under fire and four people there would be a completely boring task. Just cover where you enemy will hit and maybe have one or two people in buggies on moblie transits looking for the wide flankers to get behind you. I believe this would be a better loadout then having all four person sqauds because I know I would be screaming if my sqaud of 6 lost to a sqaud of 4 on assaulting them.

Comment

If you guys are CO, I would love to try out the fast moving squad to see how effective it is. Nothing better then sneaking in behind the enemy while they are attacking and taking the flag before they realize it.

Comment

I'm talking about having the entire force of ground pounders in 4 man squads, not just one or two of them.. We've talked about the rapid response type squads in other threads, my thoughts are trying it team-wide. Dealing more on a macro scale than micro, ya know?
                          Battlefield Admin() ()
                          | for | |

Comment

Gotch ya. That would be really interesting. You may need a rapid response squad to fortify a position quickly if a large enemy force is moving in on a CP.

Comment

Like I said the problem with all 4 man squads is they will get pounded by 6 man squads.

Az
                              [age-c1][command]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...