Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AA is underrated

First, there are two things AA emplacements aren't good at:

1. Score padding. If you want lots of kills, don't sit on an AA.
    2. Point defense. AA isn't going to save the tank your squaddie is parked in. Armor drivers have to be responsible for their own safety.

So, from a lone wolf and from a single squad perspective, AA isn't useful. But this isn't about you, or your squad. This is about how do you help your team win, and as a jet pilot I'm going to let you in on a secret that will help: AA is pretty annoying. Yes, if you fire your missiles at me, I'll probably dodge them. But guess what? While I'm dodging your missiles I'm not shooting at your teammates on the other side of the map.

Now, imagine having every AA position you control manned up. It doesn't happen often, but when it does it's really, really annoying as a jet pilot. I can't just drop flares or go into evasive manoevers whenever I hear the lock siren; if I did that I'd just spend the entire map flying in circles. Your jet pilots can fly right up to me, get a lock and pop a couple missiles into my tail, and the first warning I'll have is when my jet explodes around me. The AA position I just flew over can do the same thing.

I've heard people complaining that whenever they man up AA they just constantly get killed by the jets. Congratulations, you were doing a good job. You've managed to annoy that jet enough that his attention is now focused on you, not the rest of your team. And if you've got more than one AA emplacement manned, they can defend each other.

AA impedes the ability of jets to perform their offensive role.
    Last edited by jepzilla; 10-06-2005, 01:52 PM.

Re: AA is underrated

The way I see it, if you man AA you are simply giving them a priority target to focus on. Basicly you're plane fodder in lieu of some piece of armor or bunch of people who just spawned getting chewed up.

But, since AA is the way it is and thats all we have, I agree with you :)

-

Comment

Originally posted by Virigoth
      The way I see it, if you man AA you are simply giving them a priority target to focus on. Basicly you're plane fodder in lieu of some piece of armor or bunch of people who just spawned getting chewed up.

But, since AA is the way it is and thats all we have, I agree with you :)
      Sure, if you're the only person sitting in an AA you're going to attract a lot of attention. But not so much when you've got 3 or 4 emplacements manned. There is safety in numbers.

AA is something that should be manned all the time. Complaining that AA sucks is like complaining that armor is overpowered when almost nobody bothers taking the AT kit. A single guy with an AT kit isn't going to stop an armor column and is just going to be a big target. Likewise one guy occasionally hopping in an AA is going to be a big target and doesn't stand much chance of interfering with the air battle.

Squaddies are expected to work together and not go lone wolfing. Well, squads themselves should work together and man up nearby AAs to protect other friendly squads. The AA next to you might not save you from the bomber, but the AA at a CP to the east might have forced it to break off the bombing run if the friendly squad there had manned it up.

Comment

Incidentally, I find that aircraft often spend an inordinate amount of time trying to kill boats, especially if they miss on their first strafing run. Sometimes I can tie up a jet for 3 or 4 passes as I dodge around the water and islands and the like.

Again, same principle--- I know I'm dead but if I can keep him pissed at me because he keeps missing then he's not putting holes in my buddies.
        Kornkob

I want to move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Comment

Once in Dragon Valley I took over a headless squad on the Chinese side and we spend the last 10 minutes in the middle island with the three AA stands and shot down USMC helicopters. It was great fun because we got most every one of them. That southern island post with the hill that has 2 AAs and the other AA next to the walled in house are useful.

Comment

Great thread! I wish more SLs would direct someone in their squad to be on an AA gun whenever they are in control of a CP.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

I love it when im a USMC sniper and people sit in AA guns.....

Comment

I agree completely. I have been very successful with the AA placements, and I am quite surprised at how many people don't know where to find them.

Another tip for people manning AA placements:
                Learn to read pilots and know when they have spotted you. It is usually fairly obvious when they circle to make a run at you. Jump out and run and find some nearby cover. If they use their bombs to take out the AA placement, fine. If they don't, jump back in and put 2 in their tail.
                Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Also, those AA placements respawn like horny rabbits. I'm preatty sure its under 20s to get a new one if its blown apart.

Maybe we should have an AA squad that just disperses around the map and mans the AA assets :)

-

Comment

All great points. Having AA sites manned all the time would keep jets from bombing the living hell out of flags over and over again. Any destraction for the jet jockeys is a good one. Especially since some of them are so damn good. I'd gladly eat a few bombs so my squadies can take a flag!!! They usually kill me anyway, its just a matter of where I'll be when they do it!

Comment

How many AA emplacements are there on most maps? I think Dalian Plant has 3 unless there are some in the UCB but that's moot.

Something to consider is manning AA and being repeatedly killed is not fun. It's even worse than defending because all you do is watch a respawn timer instead of scanning for targets. I've had SL's that often task squaddies with boring jobs but they are considerate enough to know it can be boring and will switch jobs between the squad.

I have long left it up to fighter jets to keep the skies clear. It's nice to help from the ground but ground units shouldn't always pick up the slack, especially when SAM sites aren't always accessible.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

There is nothing more satisfying that shooting down "Strikefear" after he has completely dominated a map.
                        "If the sword is always sheathed, it will become rusty, the blade will dull, and people will think as much of its owner." —Yamamoto Tsunetomo, Hagakure: The Book of the Samurai

I prefer a challenge and teamwork rather than a stat loading server without sound tactical ideals.

Comment

AA is, to a small degree, useful for shooting things down. You can blow up slow moving helicopters rather easily, and it's possible to kill planes. This is not what I use it for at all. The best use of AA, in my opinion, is to simply aim at an enemy. And wait. They get a lock on tone, and very likely launch their flares once it locks on, regardless of whether you have fired missiles. Once they launch their first set of flares, I reaquire, and if they haven't run away by then I fire at them. This will either kill them, or accomplish my main objective which is getting them to leave my point the heck alone. People are right to whine about the inneffectiveness of AA, but shooting things down isn't just what it's for. Deterrance is important.

Comment

Originally posted by TychoCelchuuu
                            AA is, to a small degree, useful for shooting things down. You can blow up slow moving helicopters rather easily, and it's possible to kill planes. This is not what I use it for at all. The best use of AA, in my opinion, is to simply aim at an enemy. And wait. They get a lock on tone, and very likely launch their flares once it locks on, regardless of whether you have fired missiles. Once they launch their first set of flares, I reaquire, and if they haven't run away by then I fire at them. This will either kill them, or accomplish my main objective which is getting them to leave my point the heck alone. People are right to whine about the inneffectiveness of AA, but shooting things down isn't just what it's for. Deterrance is important.
                            As the self-admitted ChopperWhore that I am I can attest to this. I get shot down by stingers/IGLA a lot. I Would say on average half if not more of my deaths are from ground based AA. As such whenever I hear a lock-on I drop flares and evade yelling to my Gunner to locate AA in question so we can take it out. When there's multiple AA's locked on we're usually dead. But as you said Detterrance is a BIG factor.

[ma-c2][air2][support][eng] | Click my flag... |

Comment

Dalian plant has at least 5, most of the maps with jets have 6 static AA locations (Oman, Wake, and maybe Zatar have 6) at the flags. I know Daqing is an exception with 2 Stingers but 3 Mobile AA at the Flags and one in each UCB. If a team has multiple AA pieces under their control they can actually become quite a threat if used properly but they are an acquired skill. You can lock on and fire and blame the gun for the miss because there is a timing and strategy to it that will make the missiles much more accurate.

On a related note does anyone know if jumping out of the Stinger will cause the missiles to disappear or loose lock? I was talking to StrikeFear last night and it seemed the missiles from his jet did when he got shot down and I thought that might extend to static AA.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X