Being AntiTank

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being AntiTank

How many people use AntiTank more as antipersonnel then not?
    You only got 5 rounds and 1 in the tube and then thats it, i still feel it should be something like 7, or the AT should be stronger.
    Now, about taking out tanks and APC's:

Tip 1: NEVER fire if the turret/barrel is aimed at you, the missile leaves a huge trail that will get you killed.

Tip 2: If you are at very close range, dont use the aimsight, just fire in the direction of the tank, the tank wont get a missile lock tone.

Tip 3: If you are facing a tank, aim for the tracks when possible, it does more damage then hitting the rear.

Tip 4: MOVE! If you keep firing from 1 spot, either that tank/apc will get you, or a sniper will. Fire your missile, run behind cover and repeat.

Tip 5: If the driver jumps out after 1 hit, or if your sure the tank isnt on fire, JUMP IN! I had this so many times in which a medic for instance would jump out while the tank still has 30% left. This also applies to Spec Ops with C4 and Engineers with Mines (mines might suicide you, so be careful Engineers).

Tip 6: You can guide your missile people, so do it! If you see a tank in a clearing, fire away, he might get a lock tone, but you have a 90% chance that you will hit him.

Tip 7: Your submachinegun is not an assault rifle, dont use it like one, neither is it a sniper rifle. Use it as a shotgun, and keep it on fullauto.

Tip 8: For medium range soldiers, use your pistol, it has great accuracy against them.

Tip 9: Don't waste your AT missiles on a guy such as in Tip 8, you will lose an AT missile while you could have used your pistol. A pistol has 15 shots and 7 clips, while AT missile is 1 shot and 5 clips.

Tip 10: Use your knife! If you are at knifing range use it! The submachinegun wont help much here.

Tip 11: If you are aiming for a chopper, you might want to jump in a car with a .50 cal, you will take it down much quicker and you wont lose ammo that you can use against ground armor.

Tip 12: If you must fire an AT missile at that chopper, make sure he isnt coming your direction or facing you and try to aim ahead of the chopper, it wont matter where you hit (damage will be the same), sadly, the tire weakness was removed in 1.03

Tip 13: If you only have 1 single missile left and there is a full health tank on your flag, try to fire it in the tracks, then simply keep the aim sight on him, he will constantly hear the locktone and you at least HAVE a chance he will jump out.

Tip 14: Don't use the AT missile at point blank range on cars, the missile will only go through! Just avoid gettin run over, run a bit and fire at the car in the rear.

Tip 15: There are exceptions in which I feel its proper to use your missile against infantry, mostly against snipers, if you are on a squad getting sniped and no sniper on your team, just blow him!

Tip 16: If infantry gets hit by an AT missile they die, and can't be revived, keep that in mind if you think there might be an enemy sniper squad leader out there.

Tip 17: Don't go wild with guiding your missile, if you turn it to sharp, the guided wire will snap and the missile will fall to the ground, if you turn it bit by bit, if will stay in the air a lot longer.

Tip 18: You dont have grenades, so if you think there is an enemy behind that fence, walk around it and get him from the rear, its the one thing the AT submachinegun is good for.

Tip 19: If you see a vehicle or chopper smoking, try to hit that instead, getting 2 vehicles smoking is not as helpful to your team as 1 dead and 1 alive.

Tip 20: A tank on fire doesnt mean he will die instantly, it can take a couple of seconds, if your team is gettin killed, fire that extra missile.

Tip 21: AT missile will kill FAV's (those light frame black cars/buggies) in 1 shot, but humvees and vodniks will not be killed in 1 shot if theyare at full health. Your best shot at them is in the side, at a direct angle.

Tip 22: If you run out of ammo and there is a tank or apc, dont go wild and get killed, either get ammo, or see if you can pick up a kit that might take that armor out. Assault, Spec Ops and Engineer will help greatly, but grenades might still force that armor to at least move.

Tip 23: AT missile will go through armored glass, like those from choppers and cars, so if you hit the glass from the driver seat, there is a good chance you will kill the driver, but leave the car alive. For cars this isnt very helpful (except if there is another friendly AT out there), but it works great on choppers, since the passenger wont know that the pilot died until its to late.

Tip 24: USE COVER. You might have body armor, but you cant stand in the open firing that missile. You need to get cover, find your target, fire away and then move.

Tip 25: AT missiles wont help against a distant chopper, dont use it on them, you will only lose ammo.

NEXT FEW TIPS ARE FOR THE UNLOCK:

Tip 26: The DAO-12 is a heavy 12 round semi automatic shotgun, it does 96 damage in 1 shot, and the shells are armor piercing! This means it will go through those thin fences like those on Karkand.

Tip 27: The DAO-12 is not a medium or long range weapon, use your pistol instead.

Tip 28: The DAO-12 has 12 shots, and they can all be fired as quickly as you hit that fire button!

Tip 29: Dont fire all the shells like crazy, the reload will get you killed. 4 to 5 shots will almost always garantuee a kill.

Tip 30: If you killed a guy, and have...say 7 shells left, AND there arent any enemies at point blank range near you, then run for some cover and reload. DONT KEEP FIRING SHELLS UNTIL YOU HAVE TO RELOAD ALL TWELVE, if you have the chance reload whenever possible, I cant stress this enough. Reload after every kill when possible. You wont lose any ammo, since each shell is counted as a clip.

Hope this helps you Anti Tank players out there. ;)

BF2 Name: Thez(NL)
    BF2142 Names:
    Thierry(NL) (Sniper)
    Dikkiedik(NL) (Assault)
    Kittekat(NL) (Engineer)
    Dimi(NL) (Support)

Re: Being AntiTank

Tip 26: You as a infantry soldier have far better view than that guy in the tank. You can not let him sees you before you see him (come on!?). Don't rush for a shot, stay unnoticed... remember, it's a hard work for him to spot you, use that.
    Tip 27: Shot-cover-reload... then try to change position (relocate).
    Tip 28: Think fast! As soon as you hear your squad member spoting a tank, deal with it right away. Every second counts, so move fast. Armor is what you're fighting with, forget everything else. There is nothing more frustrating than 5 of the sqaudies are runing around, hiding from tank, yelling "come on man, take him down!" and spotting it for like, 20th time.
    Tip 29: When you're firing at tank, and he's looking at you and trying to take you with his coaxisial MG - move sideways while guiding missile (like in Quake)! :) It's not difficult for you to guide it (since the tank is not moving in those cases), but it would be a lot more difficult for him to deliver those couple of shots needed...
    Tip 30: By default you should be located on the side of your squad the armor is most likely to apear.
    Tip 31: There are couple of "highways" (streams) tanks use on every map. Learn them.
    Tip 32: Don't waiste your rockets on tanks moving sideways full speed. Look ahead, at one point he will have to stop, or turn - think about it where that'll be.
    Tip 33: When you see a supply drop right next to a tank, shoot the supply drop first, specialy if you're the only one shooting at the tank.
    Tip 34: Use fixed MGs or .50 cal on buggies near by. SMG is really the last thing you should use against infantry.
    Tip 35: In close combat (like 3m one from each other), be agressive, try to confuse your opponent - cos if it gets down to a fair fight, you will loose every time.
    Last edited by mare_cccp; 10-09-2005, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Pretty good stuff, I'd just like to add a few things.

The SMG is underated IMO. In single shot mode, it can be moderately effective at medium range. At close range, it is quite good. Keep on full auto and always aim for the head (well, bottom of the neck). It has a high rate of fire and a good chance to pull of an HS.

When I am AT, I often take point for a few reasons. You can eliminate any buggy and severely damage any humvee before they have the oppurtunity to run over/shoot any squad memebers. Also, if you come upon armor you can get a shot off and take cover. This should focus the armor on you and keep it from chewing up your squad. Just make sure you get some good cover before, preferably some where you you can move quickly an be somewhere the tank does not expect you. This is especially effective if you encounter groups of infantry. In an infantry battle, when there are no vehicles present, your life is worth less than the rest of the squad, as they are more effective against infantry. I will usually try to close the distance, using cover, ASAP to the group of infantry. This does a couple things; your weapon is MUCH more effective at close range, drastically improving your effectiveness, also, the enemies will then generally focus on you, revealing themselves and allowing you team mates to fire on them uninhibited. This is not a suicide run, you definately try to survive, and don't attempt it unless you have enough cover to give you a good chance of surviving.

One point I have to disagree with is conservation of rockets. If I am near an ammo box, or have a support class in my squad, I am quite liberal with rockets. For example, at the choppers at range I will always fire if I have access to ammo. Aim so that if you miss, it will be in view of the pilot. As any class I like to put as much heat on choppers as I can... keep them evading as much as possible. Also, if they feel enough heat, they might decide to leave to repair more quickly. Any time a chopper spends flying to repair, and then flying back to the fight, is time the chopper is not attacking. Believe it or not, this can be better than actually killing the chopper if it is a long enough flight to repair.
      Last edited by FPS_Douglas; 10-09-2005, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Thought this was a cool website, originally posted by John Canavar.

http://www.2ndbn5thmar.com/mrsm/pp08.htm

Lucky Shot

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky Shot
          Thought this was a cool website, originally posted by John Canavar.

http://www.2ndbn5thmar.com/mrsm/pp08.htm

Lucky Shot

Great Link LUCKY!!
          |TG-7th| Gixxer_USMC

" Winners Never Quit ..... Quitters Never Win "

[combat][squadl][conduct][defense3][medic]
          [armor][tog-c1][tg-c2][ma-c1][taw-c1]

Comment

I've been playing the AT kit recently and I've actually been enjoying it. I often play sniper, and just do marskman shots with an assault rifle so I like to engage targets at long range; the biggest hurdle for me was getting past this and learning to sneak up on people and engage them at short range. Once you're up close the SMGs are actually very deadly.

I have to disagree with the above comment about not firing at tanks that are moving. If you lead the tank it's very effective. You don't have to be perfectly accurate, since you can guide the missile, and the tank won't get a lock tone until the last moment since he's driving into the path of the missile. Don't bother aiming for weak spots though, it's too hard at long ranges, but the tank is far enough away that you'll have more than enough time to put 3 or 4 rockets into him. Just make sure you've got a regular ammo supply.

Even if you don't kill the tank it's a great way to deter them from taking a particular route, or to weaken the tank for your teammates to kill later.

Comment

I've had some sucesses in getting tanks to actually drive INTO my rockets. Tankers tend to either move forward or backward when they hear the 'locked on' tone. I try to watch for sudden changes of direction or lunging to learn what the driver's tendancy is.

Then, when I'm ready for my shot, I'll set it up so that my rocket is flying either at a point in front of or behind the armor (which ever direction they are expected to move). Then when the rocket is half way out, I'll lock it onto the intended target. This has the effect of a) turning the rocket toward the target and b) getting the drive rot attempt evasive manuevers, which, if I guessed right, means the dirver is now lunging toward the rocket's original target.
              Kornkob

I want to move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Comment

Originally posted by jepzilla
                I have to disagree with the above comment about not firing at tanks that are moving. If you lead the tank it's very effective. You don't have to be perfectly accurate, since you can guide the missile, and the tank won't get a lock tone until the last moment since he's driving into the path of the missile.
                I add what I expect is the necessary lead, then add some additional lead to that. I fire my missile and see how it's looking, if I'm too far ahead of the vehicle (which I should be) I'll hook the missile into the side.

I've found that it's much easier to lead too much and hook the missile into the vehicle than to try to catch up to it from too little lead.

Originally posted by mare_cccp
                Tip 34: Use fixed MGs or .50 cal on buggies near by. SMG is really the last thing you should use against infantry.
                I consider the SMG to be a personal defense weapon, use it to save your butt when your position is compromised...but other than that yeah, you're better off grabbing a fistful of gravel and throwing it as hard as you can.

Comment

Love having an anti tank dudes in my squad sometimes... AT is becoming my favourite kit when I am a squad member as well... I am all about the tire chain shooting now... It takes two shots to the tire and I am getting pretty good at landing the missile around there. Also try getting a higher ground, like roofs, tanks and APCs cannot do anything.

Last night on Zatar Wetlands we took Village which is the closest flag to the MEC UCB and we held it. I think I had 4 ATs and myself as an Assault... They threw every armor they had to us. Tanks, APCs, AAs, All of them together, they tried different directions and everything...

Armor after armor my AT guys blew em up like nothing...

So be an AT if a squad does not have it. You will be looked upon like a savior.

Comment

try to co-ordinate firing and an assault throwing smoke to conceal your smoke trail and hide you movement.

Comment

Originally posted by Thierry
                      NEXT FEW TIPS ARE FOR THE UNLOCK:

Tip 26: The DAO-12 is a heavy 12 round semi automatic shotgun, it does 96 damage in 1 shot, and the shells are armor piercing! This means it will go through those thin fences like those on Karkand.

Engineers were flat out robbed when it came to the unlocks! the jackhammer is a piece of junk compared to the DAO-12, IMHO.

the DAO-12 feels like a freakin' Blunderbuss blazin' away...the concussion and noise are just amazing.

poor, poor engys...that and our mines are destructible now with the 1.03...

Comment

Has anybody tried hitting the top of the turret by letting the rocket fly high then bring it down when it's over the turret? I tried it last night but I don't know if I timed it right. Sometimes it's hard to hit the front tread so you could go for a top shot even without the high ground.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I've tried it before but I've found it too hard doing trick shots like that without any distance perception. I always end up hooking the missile too early or too late.

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc=
                            Has anybody tried hitting the top of the turret by letting the rocket fly high then bring it down when it's over the turret? I tried it last night but I don't know if I timed it right. Sometimes it's hard to hit the front tread so you could go for a top shot even without the high ground.
                            It can be done but it's hard to time well. High ground piece of cake, especially on Zatar with lots of open space to see them coming.

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc=
                              Has anybody tried hitting the top of the turret by letting the rocket fly high then bring it down when it's over the turret?
                              Interesting you brought that up. I was just doing some research on the Predator anti-tank missile (what the USMC uses) and that is actually how it is designed to be used because the armor on the top of a tank is significantly less than anywhere else.

Predator Light Anti-Armour Missile

It sounds like the aiming system is the same as in BF2 but the missile's flight is actually an arc and then laser and magnetic sensors bring the missile down right on the top of its target. I think it would be neat to see that in BF2, automatically used whenever you fired at ground vehicle targets.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X