Common sense - part 2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Common sense - part 2

I posted a while back about some common-sense things like making sure the river (and MEC main base) were defended at the start of a round on Karkand even without a CO, ditto the TV station on Sharqi.

Time for a few more. A BIG, HUGE one - on Wake Island: The MEC simply HAS TO HOLD THE AIRFIELD. You might win losing all the other flags if you hold that one. Without it, you're basically screwed. It's much worse on Wake than on the other maps when you lose this key position, and it's probably easier to get to so this increases the odds of losing it early. Two squads should be here defending pretty much all the time, maybe even 3 - and especially at the start of a map. If in doubt, have your squad spawn here.

Another one, and this is a general one for all maps. CO's need to strike the enemy where he's *weakest* whenver possible. I was reading the AAR about the TOG vs. TG scrim, and noticed someone mentioned that the TOG guys had 2 squads defending a flag on Daqing, and that Bommando basically left it alone aside from arty and bombing. Smart. Incredibly smart, yet it's basically common sense - which of course means it's somewhat UNcommon to see. I think we've all been on a squad assigned to attack a CP with lots of armor, a good squad or two, and well-organized CO who uses the air support and arty to wipe you out on approach. What happens? That squad tends to die repeatedly, losing far more tickets than they really could've hoped to gain by capping the flag - yet the CO keeps sending you in.

Now, there are of course certain flags that are really, really nice to have - and I certainly understand the CO wanting them. The thing is, if 12 of the 32 guys on a team are defending it, they almost HAVE to be thin somewhere else. Hitting them at the weak point should gain you a CP, and just might draw off 6 of the guys from the heavily defended flag. THEN swoop in and take that one easier. If they never leave that heavily-defended CP, then those 12 guys aren't really doing much to help their team. I'd definitely hit them with arty and air, and make a feint or two in their direction to keep them honest, but why do a full-frontal assault that will cost more than it will ultimately gain? Sure there are times it's just unavoidable, but probably far less than we see.

Oh, and another one just came to me - as MEC, DEFEND the farm on Zatar Wetlands. It spawns a ton of armor and gives easy access to your assets at the main, and will be behind any other flags you own. Yet almost every round, it gets lost to the USMC - leading to the CO sending 2-3 squads in to retake it which can sometimes be difficult.

I guess all of my defensive common sense points - Wake's airfield, Zatar's farm, Karkand's MEC base, Sharqi's TV station, and other CP's that are key on other maps - boil down to one thing. If losing an important CP is worthy of sending in several squads (or the whole freaking team as seen at times) to retake it, shouldn't it be worthy of strong DEFENSIVE presense beforehand? An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Hmmm - hope I didn't contradict myself with saying to hit 'em where they're weak on offense yet to defend certain points hard on defense. Certainly things depend on how the game is flowing and the situation at hand - except I don't care what else is going on, the Chinese have to defend the airfield on Wake :icon_bigg
    BF2 POE2: NC_Tarheel
    Team Fortress 2: |TG| Tarheel

Re: Common sense - part 2

Hitting the enemy where they're weak isn't always the best. If you've got a handy ticket lead, sucking the enemy into a meatgrinder over one flag instead of dicating a battle with fluid spawn points means that the enemy concentrates on holding off your continual assault instead of running around the map meeting you piecewise.

Comment

Yes, hitting the enemy where they are weak is almost universially the best. The scenario of 'sucking the enemy into a meat grinder' is an example not of you hitting the enemy, but of the enemy hitting you--- and hitting you where you are in a dominant position.

There is a distinct difference between taking an offensive posture and a defensive one.
      Kornkob

I want to move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Comment

Originally posted by NCman
        Time for a few more. A BIG, HUGE one - on Wake Island: The MEC simply HAS TO HOLD THE AIRFIELD. You might win losing all the other flags if you hold that one. Without it, you're basically screwed. It's much worse on Wake than on the other maps when you lose this key position, and it's probably easier to get to so this increases the odds of losing it early. Two squads should be here defending pretty much all the time, maybe even 3 - and especially at the start of a map. If in doubt, have your squad spawn here.
        Agreed, all squads must be prepared to fall back and defend the airfield when needed. When I've played Wake, the goal of my squad is to slow down the enemy approach, not to stop or counter it. In setting up defensive positions and letting them come to us, the enemy will (should!) lose more tickets taking every little hill than it costs me to hold it.

I know full well that eventually we will lose the outlying areas, but the idea is to make them lose a large amount of tickets in taking them before we finally end up around the airfield for the final stand.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X