Some Noob Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Noob Questions

Hi All, just some general questions I'm looking for some help on...

I've only had the game like a week and a half maybe but am having fun despite dying very often..so anyway please understand where I'm coming from here.... things move very fast when you're new...

Anyway...

1) What is the general expectation when you cap a flag as far as defense? I always wonder if I should hang around and defend it or move on and try for another one... sometimes the SL doesn't shift the objective either way...or there isn't a high level of command, etc... so anyway... sometimes I'm not sure what's best. My feeling is that it might depend on the overall strategic importance of the flag itself? Or my kit? I dunno...

2) I like playing AT, it seems to come a little more naturally to me I think. I seem to end up in the right spot a lot when armor appears for whatever reason. But occasionally you get those dry spells and I'm not sure how much I should actually hunt with it. I rarely survive a 1 on 1 infantry encounter due to my extreme noob skill level so... just kinda wondering if I should be finding cover and waiting around more maybe. Kinda feel like I'm not helping when people are running around and I'm not doing anything at the moment though... any thoughts on that? Especially when you're trying to stick with a squad that's moving, which I try to do based on advice I've read...

3) I think engineer is fun, but I'm kind of petrified about blowing up my own guys...so I really don't play it much. In single player the bots always drive around your mines pretty well but I read these horror stories about TK'ing in multiplayer... and I'd hate to get kicked off a server for not mining "correctly" or whatever... so um... I think I just need some advice on mine placement and such. I'd really like to play engineer more but I feel like I might really damage my team at the moment. Any good engineer guides out there? I haven't seen much else except the "be an engineer-drive a tank" kinda thing...

4) Sneaking around as SpecOps is fun fun fun but again I'm a little concerned about helping the team. Is it proper to join a squad as spec ops? Or is it more a lone wolf deal? I'm thinking more about the "commander-asset" type target mission here... if you're really gonna sneak back there by yerself should you still be in a squad?

I'll give it a rest here...I'm sure I'll come up with more as I go. Glad to be aboard by the way!...thanks all.

schudog

Re: Some Noob Questions

Originally posted by schudog
    1) What is the general expectation when you cap a flag as far as defense? I always wonder if I should hang around and defend it or move on and try for another one... sometimes the SL doesn't shift the objective either way...or there isn't a high level of command, etc... so anyway... sometimes I'm not sure what's best. My feeling is that it might depend on the overall strategic importance of the flag itself? Or my kit? I dunno...
    Hopefully your SL is communicating with you about his intentions even if the marker hasn't changed. If you don't know....ask. If you are just not sure then follow the last order given. You were told to go to point A to take a flag. Stay there within reason. If you see your SL and the rest of your squad marching off somewhere then make sure to follow. This is part of the lemming code.

2) I like playing AT, it seems to come a little more naturally to me I think. I seem to end up in the right spot a lot when armor appears for whatever reason. But occasionally you get those dry spells and I'm not sure how much I should actually hunt with it. I rarely survive a 1 on 1 infantry encounter due to my extreme noob skill level so... just kinda wondering if I should be finding cover and waiting around more maybe. Kinda feel like I'm not helping when people are running around and I'm not doing anything at the moment though... any thoughts on that? Especially when you're trying to stick with a squad that's moving, which I try to do based on advice I've read...
    That is the double edged sword of AT. Here was a good thread about AT tactics.

3) I think engineer is fun, but I'm kind of petrified about blowing up my own guys...so I really don't play it much. In single player the bots always drive around your mines pretty well but I read these horror stories about TK'ing in multiplayer... and I'd hate to get kicked off a server for not mining "correctly" or whatever... so um... I think I just need some advice on mine placement and such. I'd really like to play engineer more but I feel like I might really damage my team at the moment. Any good engineer guides out there? I haven't seen much else except the "be an engineer-drive a tank" kinda thing...
    If you get punished for Tk 'cause a chode drove over your mine then you need to complain and/or find another server. Place mines so they can be somewhat difficult to detect (darker/shaded areas). The red skull and crossbones always is visible. Don't place them so your own vehicles can't get out. Meaning, don't absolutely saturate an area.

4) Sneaking around as SpecOps is fun fun fun but again I'm a little concerned about helping the team. Is it proper to join a squad as spec ops? Or is it more a lone wolf deal? I'm thinking more about the "commander-asset" type target mission here... if you're really gonna sneak back there by yerself should you still be in a squad?
    Just do what your CO/SL want you to. Spec ops is a good kit and will be utilized by the SL/CO. Also, TG servers require players to join a squad and follow SL orders so the lonewolf thing doesn't work unless you are told to.

I hope this helps. They are all good questions from the simple standpoint that you didn't know the answers and were smart enough to ask and polite enough to know how to ask. Welcome to TG
    "Umm Deputy these aren't my pants" - Common alarm cry of the North American Crackhead
    [tg-c1][ma-c1][defense]

Comment

Ask your squad leader for new orders if you're not sure what to do. Generally, when you take a flag, you'll transition right in to defense for at least a couple minutes before moving out. Check out the terrain and look at the map to see what flags the enemy has, then move in to a position to keep your eye on where you think they enemy will come from.

Sure.. if you're defending a flag your C4 can be very helpful. Hide it around the flag and hide out a little bit.. maybe not 100m away, but maybe on the opposite side of where you expect the enemy to come from so that you're not the first to die. Your gun is pretty good at medium ranges so you can engage the enemy as they're moving in, but you can blow the C4 when they get on the flag.

If you wanna go after the commander assets, it's best if you either join a designated specops squad, or form one yourself. Occassionally your SL will ask you to make a trip to the enemy's base to blow up the assets, but you're usually more valuable when you're with your squad. If you make one, give it a descriptive name like NMEASSETS or something so that other people that join up will know what your intention is.. then check in with your commander and tell him what you're doing. He'll probably approve, but he may also have another mission for you to go on.

Basically, follow orders and you'll be alright :)
      Battlefield Admin() ()
      [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
      [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
      | for | |

Comment

1. You should generally stick with your squad, unless you're given a specific order, or you're off fetching a piece of armor you're supposed to be driving. If you cap a flag and the SL doesn't change the orders, assume you're on defense.

2. Stick with your squad and your squadies protect you from infantry. The AT kit requires some mastery to be effective in a normal firefight, so just stay alive and keep a watch out for incoming armor. Then you'll be protecting your squadies. On defense find good cover with decent sight lines. There's a recent thread in the tactics forum discussing how to use AT effectively you may want to look at. Sometimes the need for an AT guy disappears, so if you think you aren't being very effective ask your SL and he may have you switch to a different kit if he agrees.

3. Don't lay mines if you just capped a flag and there's another squad trying to roll armor out. If you see friendlies trying to leave, remove your mines to let them out - you can replace them easily. With the 1.03 patch I don't know if I'd recommend mines much anymore anyway, they're really easy to kill with any armor and are only good against light vehicles. Spec-ops with C4 is probably a better choice. There's also a thread somewhere on effective Engineering. :)

4. Don't go sneaking off to the enemy base unless you have an order to. If you're nearby any enemy assets, go ahead and blow them but you shouldn't be leaving your squad to do so. If you want to have a go, ask your SL. As a Spec-Ops guy you should generally be laying your C4 at choke points, or around the flag as a defensive measure. I dislike spec-ops on assaults because they lack the firepower and bodyarmor of assault kits and the C4 isn't very useful on offense. Alternatively, form a small spec-ops squad of your own, and do your sneaking that way. You should let your CO know, however.

Comment

SLs often forget that the ATs primary job is not infantry combat and they love to send us right into the middle of the battle alongside the assault and support guys.

From my experience, the AT class plays a lot like the medic class, try to hang back a bit (unless specifically ordered otherwise), watch the backs of your assault and support guys as they move in. When that APC finally rolls around the corner to help the defenders, it's your job to take it out and you need to stay alive for that one moment to accomplish your task.

I've had some great games in squads where assault + assault + support lead the way and medic + AT + squad leader came in as a second wave to finish the last of the resistance. The medic, SL, and AT are all kept alive longer so that they are available to focus on their primary tasks.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X