No announcement yet.

Seeing the Big Picture

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeing the Big Picture

Over the past few days, I've been attempting to learn how to see the big picture in BF2.
    The big picture on the battlefield is how the battle is progressing in the general area around you and your squad, and specifically, observing your opponents. It's situational awareness moved up a notch.

Seeing the big picture requires pulling your head out of combat and seeing what the enemy are actually doing, besides trying to kill you. You have to look at how they are doing it, from what direction, how quickly, with what and why.

It allows you to see maneuvers before they happen, and predict how the enemy will move to contact. Most importantly, it gives you the ability to whack the bastards easily.

A couple of simple tips to help you develop these skills
    (NB. I'm also a beginner at this, but I am trying to improve. Any comments are welcome)

-Watch your minimap at all times, and your large map whenever possible. Set them to a high transparancy so you can still operate effectively.
    Let's say you're at the NW base on Mashtuur, defending. You check your map, and see that at the hotel a small squad has spotted 2 enemy humvees moving up the road towards you. From this, you can see what areas of the defence you should reinforce, and can reposition yourself. Or, if the friendlies at the hotel spotted some enemy troops moving across the open desert, you can predict a number of things.
    For example, you can determine that those troops are an entire squad, and their squad leader must be dealt with. This means that you cannot simply sit back and defend, but must be proactive in completely eliminating the troops.

-Listen to your Squad-leader, or, if you are squad leader, listen to your commander.
    Those senior to you should be informing you of any information they have about incoming threats, or nearby enemies. This gives you the ability to prepare yourself for contact, or to attack the enemy in a way that is most advantageous to you.

This is vital part of everyone's repertoire, especially if you are a commander or squad leader. Spot enemy threats on the map, provide information about their heading and ETA. If you think you can see a pattern or objective to their movement, tell your squad leader, and suggest a course of action.

- Use "STOP" procedure
    STOP procedure is as follows:

Stop - When possible or necessary, stop briefly, and procede to Think stage.
    Think - Think about the enemy, esp. their goals, numbers,etc
    Observe - Back to the minimap, and observe enemies you have in visual range.
    Plan - Develop a plan of action as to how you will deal with the threat. If you are squad leader, inform your squaddies, and if you are a squad member, suggest it to your squad leader.

Comments? Suggestions? Criticism?

Nec aspera terrent.

Re: Seeing the Big Picture

Nicely done Munchkin.

ah, i like the name - "STOP" procedure. :)

This is a very useful skill to have as SL.

When you are SL and there is no Commander, this skill is critical to the success of your team.

At a very minimum, you can increase your SA by noticing little, almost obvious things going on in the map around you.

Your squad has just capped a CP, and is now defending it. Get them started getting into defensive positions, and STOP. Where are the neighboring enemy-held CPs? They're going to counter-attack from there. What assets spawn there? What are the likely attack routes they'll take. Where could you call reinforcements from? Do you want to arty that nearby enemy CP now to hit them when they respawn?

Say you're already on defense, holding a CP on your own, and you've been keeping it. Suddenly, things have gotten a little quiet. STOP. Notice how squad 6 to your west is thinning a bit? 4, now 3 members left. The enemy has redirected their assault to your neighbor. You have a couple choices.
        - Send some/all of your squad to help. If so, move into a position to flank the attacking enemy.
        - Take your squad to the base the enemy is spawning at. Hit them in their rear and take that base. As soon as you're done, hightail it back to the position you're supposed to be defending. Leave mines and C4 and claymores, and possibly 1 or 2 defenders to make taking that base back as costly as possible.

You've been ordered to attack a base, and notice that squad 5 is also attacking it. STOP. Squad 5 is getting pounded. It's a meat-grinder in there, and squad 5 can't make headway. Don't join them. Find an alternate route of approach to the base and hit the defenders from 2 sides.

Each of these plans just required a smart glance at the map, and a little thinking.

Good post, Munchkin.
        "You live and learn. Or you don't live long."
        - Lazarus Long

Great post, Munchkin. I consider my role of the SL to be like the coach of a sports team. I look at the playing field and come up with a play based upon the situation. If the opposing team is blitzing from one flag to another, then we will rush to the undefended flags. If defense is high at one base, attack where defense is low. If other squads are covering an area, move to an area that has no squad coverage.

I'm constantly looking at the map to see the overall campaign. The commander has too much to do only to rely on him. In fact, it is important to communicate information to the commander. You make his job easier and he knows that he doesnt have to babysit your squad. The same goes for squad members. Communicate to your squad leader and spot as much as possible.

My SL play style is more towards the back than some others. That way I can see the overall situation and make appropriate changes.
          -33rd- BaneII
          Smokers & Jokers

Great most Munch. A few things I'd add for SLs out there...

*By now, everyone should know what maps have 50% bleed and which ones don't. As SL (especially w/o a CO, or with a newbie CO) keep an eye on which flags the team has, and adjust your strategy accordingly. For maps with bleed, your main objective is assisting your team in attaining or preserving the opposition bleed. For maps with no bleed (e.g. Sharqi, Karkand, Kubra), you'll want to focus more on enemy assets (like capturable main bases) or creating fat killing zones where you can mow down assaulting squads.
            *Ex. 1: You're on Karkand, as USMC. Your team has every cap point on the west side except the Train Wreck. Strategy: Defend one of those points in ambush (cover) positions and let the enemy attack you from the train wreck. You have the advantage of defending and being dug in, and no additional flags will give you bleed.
            *Ex 2: You're on Oman, as USMC. Your team has 2 flags, Hotel and Construction site, and is the score is 350-250, with the MEC up. The team MUST cap at least another 3 flags to get a bleed and catch up in points (remember you need 5 for a bleed on Oman), so defending isn't an option, unless you're mowing down enemies charging from the village or MEC main.
            *Ex 3: You're on Mashtuur, as MEC. MEC has 4 flags (Hotel, NW MEC base, USMC main, and Backyard), and is up by only 25 points (the score is 200-175). Your squad is at the Backyard. While it may be tempting to assault the Mosque, the appropriate call is to dig in and defend the Backyard. Preserve the bleed and get kills from assaulting USMC.

Of course these situations change frequently throughout the game, so you need to re-assess every few minutes. But it can make a huge difference in the success of the team, especially with 4 or 5 SLs thinking exactly the same way.

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed