Duke Mod Tactics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duke Mod Tactics

It seems to me, after reading many of the posts following the few playtests of the mod this last weekend, that people need to begin thinking about and implementing a rarely used tactic.

The Tactical Retreat.

Given that the spawn time for infantry and vehicles has been increased it no longer pays to just throw bodies and metal at the opposition wastefully.

It seems to me that people should ask themselves, "If this were real life, if my life was on the line would I behave in this way?" Would I drive a badly damaged vehicle straight into an enemy base? Would I, while being a wounded soldier, charge an enemy squad?

Probably not. Again, this is especially true given the nature of Duke's mod.

It is time to think about taking cover when you take a hit. It is time to think about moving your precious armor out of combat and get repaired when you are damaged.
    It is time to think about ordering a retreat when your squad is taking a beating.
    Pull back, regroup and mount an 'EFFECTIVE' counter offensive, donít just sit there and get slaughtered.
    If you are familiar with the term "Combat Ineffective" you will know that a squad of 6 with 3 men down is just that. It may take some situational awareness to know whether you are going to be overwhelmed or not.

Also, by using the retreat tactic, and especially now that the Commander is less omnipresent with his magic radar taken away, it becomes a very important and powerful tactic to coordinate an ambush to cover the retreating party.
    This should be reasonably easy to do for a commander who is using his squads in mutual support.

I have a very little bit (2 years) of infantry training, so it would be really helpful to have some of the vets add their input here on the best ways to conduct a retreat and setup a cover, flanking, or ambush element.

my thoughts.
    Yours?
    -Nyram
    Sarcasm - It keeps me from killing people.

Let me introduce you to the Chain of Command.
    It is this big damn chain that I beat you with until you understand who is in charge!

Re: Duke Mod Tactics

Great topic Nyram! This is the type of stuff I'd love to see come out of Duke's mod. It's going to change the play style for people and there is no better time to start discussing different strats & tactics.
    |TG-12th| asch
    sigpic

Comment

I completely agree with you Nyram. If you're on the attack and you're first wave amounts to 50% casualties without even neutralizing the flag, it's a good time to pull back and rethink the assault, especially now that the element of surprise (if there was one to begin with) is gone.

Comment

Another reason to pull back is to let your squadmates respawn and move in again with a full squad.
        |TG-12th| asch
        sigpic

Comment

This is just what i love about TG... it all makes sence but no one ever actualy does it. For most people it would be hard to play a video game so seriously that it actualy realy matters if you get shot or not. A mod like this will make people think twice before there actions.

Exelent stuff.

Comment

Nice post Nyram. You show a good understanding of what we're trying to accomplish in Tactical Mod.

Something to keep in your retreat tactic thoughts... I'm planning to give the Assault class 3 smoke grenades. :)

Comment

should be interesting to try some of these things, though im skeptical as to if they will add or subtract from the enjoyment of the game, ill just wait and see :)

good work

AKA TG Xink | http://www.andy-hook.co.uk

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...