SL Advice / Training?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SL Advice / Training?

I am looking to learn more about the SL position. I have read the guides on these forums, but still am hesitant to step up to the position. Could anyone offer up some tips?

I'm not sure exactly what's missing.
    Last edited by Bommando; 10-26-2005, 08:03 PM.

|TG-9th| By Any Means!

- [ Creator of the Battlefield 2 Localization Files ] -
    - [ Creator of the Battlefield 2142 Localization Files ] -

Re: SL Advice / Training?

i just go by instinct when im SLing. whatever you run into, tell your squaddies to do whatever you think would get you over it. just try making a squad and see what happens.

Comment

Bommando is correct. I figure that SL is my weakest position. So I have been doing more of it. I think I am actually getting better at it. Then again, better from the bottom is pretty easy.
      "Umm Deputy these aren't my pants" - Common alarm cry of the North American Crackhead
      [tg-c1][ma-c1][defense]

Comment

you missed 2 there. :D. i just hopped up and tried out being an SL and that did the trick. whats the worst thing that can happen if you screw up somehow? you cant go wrong! just remember the pgup and pgdown buttons to aprove and regect commander orders. the cap locks button allows you to manage your squad and by right clicking on a location, you can set an order to attack, defend, mine, ect.

Comment

Yeah but you better have a good reason for turning down a CO's order, especially on a TG server.
          "Umm Deputy these aren't my pants" - Common alarm cry of the North American Crackhead
          [tg-c1][ma-c1][defense]

Comment

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/showthread.php?t=58740 Thats the advanced squad leader guide. Its hard to live up to everything in that but itll surely give you a few pointers. But like bommando said, its all about just trying it. The first time you try, youll probably be a bit apprehensive (i know i was) but once the game starts youll be fine. Just remember the basics of staying alive and giving your squad members basic directions and youll do fine. After that its all about building on those basics, and maybe joining other guys' squads to see how they squad lead.

Comment

I think for a starting SL, who is not an experienced player, is to learn tactical things first, not strategical. That is, to follow the commanders orders and only pay attention to the immediate objective. In other words, learn tactics, not strategy. For a starting SL, it is to stay alive as an offensive spawn point to take a flag. This gets considerably more complex as you learn, including dialog with the commander, but until then, learn the maps, stay allve, and let your squad take the flags.

During this learning period, learn the maps very well, from the paths that assets/troops typidcally move to COVER and CONCEALMENT, to what are the most important points on the map. If you are a visual person, and simply pay attention, it will all come ;)

Comment

I agree with FPS Douglass here.

The only thing I will add is when you are defending a flag, look to see what attacking squads will attempt to do to your force. See what openings they exploit, and communicate with the COmmander as well as your squad. Look at your map to try and determine where the attacks will come from. As SL, make sure you SPOT the enemy before you shoot as it will allow your teammates to react. Your job is to stay alive, not to kill 1 guy before the guy behind him gets you.

If the enemy is getting close to the flag, as SL, do not charge in to the enemy zones. Stay Alive, give your squad a chance to do their job. It may take them more than one time to wipe out the enemy. Same with attacks, let your squad do the major lifting, just give them the opportunity to win the day and most of the time they will.

Lucky Shot

Comment

Thanks man! ;) Just to add, unless you have an almost sure kill, as a player, it is almost always good to spot an enemy. Q and fire button is sooo fast, and should always be used when reloading.

Comment

The best bit of advice I could give is just to jump in. Follow the general ideas of what has been said, but in the end that advice is mostly generic. Experience will let you realise what works for you. Some of the SL's here are very defensive (myself, JMJ), and some are very aggressive (Santa, Bommando) - it's just what works for us.

Everyone is nice and forgiving here. Maybe start a squad called NEW SL. I'm sure you'll get quite a few regulars jump in and help you out. And rememebr everyone has off days (especially when learning new skills), so if it doesn't go right at first persevere. :)

Comment

From my own perspective, as has been mentioned above, staying alive is the SL's number one priority when attacking. Staying back and finding a close but safe spot to the attack flag, helps you stay alive and keeps the squad's momentum going. So does having a medic who stays near you on the attack. To me, Santa exemplifies this, as he is probably the best I've seen at this. I don't know if it's his medic, or if he's just plain good, or both, but the guy doesn't die much when his squad is attacking.

When defending as SL, if the enemy is not too close to the flag, then staying alive is not as important. If, however, you feel they are getting close, and possibly on the verge of neutralizing it, then it's better to pull back to a safe but close location, and let your squad know that the enemy is on or near the flag.

As far as kits, every SL has their own preference. Lucky Shot is very good using the support kit as SL; Bommando, Santa, and a lot of the other good SLs seem to prefer the Assault kit. Others, like Brennus, like the Spec Ops kit. I personally like the Assault kit as SL, especially with the body armor and the ability to take out other infanty easier than most other kits.
                      |TG-33rd|Gunrack

[squadl][defense][assault][unit]
                      [at][tg-c1]

Comment

Medic is a good kit for an SL just because because anyone can revive you by picking up your kit when you're down.

Comment

Every time i'm a squad leader I use the medic kit because I can heal myself while I am running around.

Comment

Originally posted by FPS_Douglas
                            Medic is a good kit for an SL just because because anyone can revive you by picking up your kit when you're down.
                            I've played under you, FPS_Douglas, and you're very good with the medic kit as SL. I just die too easily with that kit, which would be okay if I was a squad member. I've tried every other darn kit as SL and the only one I stay alive longest with is assault. And for me, I don't like my squad worrying about reviving me, unless they're the medic. I'd rather that they focus on their own roles. Just a personal preference.
                            |TG-33rd|Gunrack

[squadl][defense][assault][unit]
                            [at][tg-c1]

Comment

Thanks bud! When I pick a kit for SL, it's usually based on what I'm planning to do. There are some flags, when I attack, I prefer to be support, just because I know there are some good spots to hide where the support machine gun will smoke anything that comes at you. Sometimes I'll pick AT, they have body armor and sometimes a good AT is hard to find. Most kits have their place as a squad leader, you just have to know how and when to use them in that role.

I do prefer medic tho, not only can you heal and get revived, but the medic rifle is an awesome weapon.... just shoot for the head, use cover and run when you need to ;)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X