The 4 Styles of Squad-Leading - Case Studies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 4 Styles of Squad-Leading - Case Studies

From my play alongside a variety of expert SLs, and my own SLing experience, here are what I believe are the 4 attributes and styles of squad leaders:

Organizational
    Example: John CANavar
    An organizational squad leader knows exactly where each of his members are, and which task they are carrying out. They have an extremely good hold on the situation, and are bombarded by tasks. The squad members follow their instructions to the letter, but do not go beyond these. The organizational squad leader has his prefered position on a sheltered hilltop, away from enemy fire, and takes this opportunity to watch the ebb and flow of the battle.

Directional
    Example: Santa and Bommando
    A directional squad leader gives general tasks to his squaddies, having a fairly good idea of what's going on. Often relying on reports from the CO and squad-members rather than his own eyes, these guys can be deadly in organised (yet spur of the moment) counterattacks. Planning and tactics are to be done in seconds, rather than acquiring a detailed recon of the area. Squad members tend to have a bit of leeway on what they can do, and the SL appreciates that.

Inspirational
    Example: Beatnik
    The squad leader has achieved some kind of mystical zen, in that he can give squad members general instructions ("We're on defense, you guys know the drill.") and it will be carried out perfectly. Everyone does their utmost, and okays their actions with the SL of their own accord. Initiative is on a rampage here, and boy is it sweet.

Leading By Example
    Example: Deveran
    The squad leader who leads by example is at the forefront of the charge - he's happiest rushing in, and holds his own quite capably in CQB. He has some kind of mystical power of life, and is never down, despite his squad members having an uncanny ability to fail at life. This kind of squad leader is all initiative, almost no extensive planning. But man, can he clear a flag. If you're a CO and you have one of these guys in your team, put them on offense, they tend to be happiest there. Need 4 flags capped from underneath the enemy? Put them on it. Need an armour column taken out? These guys can do it. Anything else? They'll fix it up.

NB. All these styles of Squad Leading are equally effective and work well. Which path you take is more or less up to you and your personality. Often squad-leaders are not at any one of these extremes, but are an almagamation, and that can work just as well, if not better.

Comments? Observations?

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
    |TG-2nd|munchkin
    Nec aspera terrent.

Re: The 4 Styles of Squad-Leading - Case Studies

Great write-up. +rep and this deserves a sticky.

---

Comment

Now all we need is to put it in a cheesy internet quiz that I can post on my blog. Nice job munck.
      Xbox Live Gamertag: TG ABRA
      live.xbox.com/member/TG ABRA
      Friend me!

Comment

Good work much. This is stuff that I like to read about. Perhaps we can categorize other SL's also?
        sigpic

Comment

Great stuff, munch. As you say, I've noticed that many of the veteran SLs are able to switch between or blend these styles as needed, depending on the map and the members of his/her squad. Flexibility is key.

Another style that kinda combines a couple of these styles could be called Situational -- a SL who is strongly involved in the shooting battle yet has a very solid situational awareness of enemies AND constantly communicates their positions to his/her squadmates. This type of SL is almost like a full-time spotter for the squad, but one that also provides overall direction while anticipating some of the enemy's moves. With a constant flow of intel, the squad members are able to neutralize threats and accomplish objectives.

Comment

Yah i agree with the situational one....cause thats how i lead..im a sniper SL so i lay back and spot tanks and infantry comeing down the way....i let my squad deal with the CP close range and i tell them whats comeing..
            that sounds like a good idea trooper.
            -Vulcan

Comment

Someone post a list of the 'regular' SL's

Comment

The Martyr
                Example - Myself

Somehow always seems to die first in combat with no medic around, even if trying to sneak around in the bush. It is garunteed that when you are trying to take a flag, the Martyr will die and your team will simulntaneously lose the nearest flag and the Matyr will have to spawn at the UCB and take a jeep all the way back to give his squadmates a spawn point.
                And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhack
                  Someone post a list of the 'regular' SL's

Bhack
                  Slugslinger
                  Deveran
                  Beatnik
                  Santa
                  JMJ
                  Bom
                  B
                  Dark Viper
                  Turbo
                  Wulfyn
                  Marstein
                  Faultline
                  BaneII
                  Drunknsoul
                  Duke

Then you have the others who lead up specialty squads like air (strikefear etc) or sniper (jusb, jepzilla, phoenixx etc)
                  Long Live the 2nd BCT and 1st MIP

Comment

Originally posted by Lionel-Richie
                    The Martyr
                    Example - Myself

Somehow always seems to die first in combat with no medic around, even if trying to sneak around in the bush. It is garunteed that when you are trying to take a flag, the Martyr will die and your team will simulntaneously lose the nearest flag and the Matyr will have to spawn at the UCB and take a jeep all the way back to give his squadmates a spawn point.

LOL thats me to a T!!

Comment

Thats a pretty good generalization munch. A lot of squad leaders often have a mixture between 2 of those as well. Id say me n bom are more like the situational kind but are still directional.

Another example would be B, as he seems pretty orginizational but also seems somewhat directional.

Comment

I like the phrase 'mystical zen'. :) Very 'Kung Fu'.

I'd like to think I manage as little as possible. If we're doing great as a squad, I won't micromanage you to death. However, if we're not accomplishing our objective(s), my style changes significantly. Everyone gets a task, and if we still don't accomplish our goal, everyone's hearing about it. :)

That being said, grasshopper needs only to listen to the wind of approaching enemy, then wisdom is gained.

huh?

;)
                        Beatnik

Comment

Originally posted by Beatnik
                          grasshopper needs only to listen to the wind of approaching enemy, then wisdom is gained.
                          Yes Master 'nik. I will follow thy enemy into his wind.

I would think Situational SL's would fall under Organizational. Maybe add a few features of another class, but it seems to fit that pretty well.

As for "Leading By Example" SL, I believe I am the only extreme on Jusb's list for this one, but most of the above SLs have a small bit of offensive, agressive nature in them to want to charge in there like a maniac on the back of a camel. I just do it more noticeably. As for initiative only, it might seem that way, but there is a way that I attack that generally gets through and is why my sqaud is still effective despite if the members are skilled or not. Oh, and you forgot to mention 4 pieces of armor while capping 3 flags behind enemy lines with a few infrantry at their feet. =P

All and all it's a great list although I don't get to see how other SL's lead that much anymore. Hopefully I'll sneak in to someone's sqaud sometime soon and see if you're right. ;) =P

Comment

Woow I thought I was a suicidal rushing SL...

Nice writeup. It will hopefully help some people understand not all SL s are their type, but all SL s can be adapted and be effective.

Comment

Not to detract from this excellent conversation, but there another SL type that I would submit.

Bumbling Idiot SL (example: Sabre Six)
                              This type of SL dies often in CQB without knowing that he is in CQB. Situational awareness is at it lowest most base...nah, skip that...there is no situational awareness. This one spends alot of time in the prone behind a rock looking at the map for a magical answer to the question: "What the heck do I do now." While pondering that question this type SL is often knifed.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X