The Basic Drill

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Basic Drill

Just found out about this, but most of you ex-military types probably know this already.

The Basic Drill is the drill that all individual soldiers are supposed to perform if they come under fire.

The basic drill consists of:

* run two or three steps
    * drop to the ground or into cover
    * crouch and move a few yards (or move under concealment/cover)
    * observe
    * shoot (identified targets of opportunity within effective range)
    * move
    * observe
    * shoot
    * move
    * repeat until issued orders

Most of you probably practice this in some shape or form, but having an itemized definite list of procedures memorized might help you. I've been testing this out and my death rate has gone way done, and my kills have gone up. Give it a shot.

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
    |TG-2nd|munchkin
    Nec aspera terrent.

Re: The Basic Drill

The British forces have a procedure sloganed as "if you stop you drop". The idea is that if you ever stop moving then you hit the floor so that you are not an easy target. I found this to be quite useful... when I remember it ;)

Comment

Sounds a little like what I would call actions on contact. Check out this thread if you haven't already:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/showpos...98&postcount=1

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre Six
        Sounds a little like what I would call actions on contact. Check out this thread if you haven't already:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/showpos...98&postcount=1

Hmm...mucho props to you! MUCHO PROPS!

|TG-2nd|munchkin
        Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

what sabre posted is basically what i was taught, assuming the enemy is fairly far away. from there, you can either choose to break contact and get away, or you can organize an offensive.

in a near ambush, though, rather than immediately dropping or going for cover (which you probably don't have), we were told to run straight for them, shoot/stab (if bayonets are fixed) as many as possible, and regroup on their six.

also of note, as it's similar to what muchkin posted, is using bounding to advance on an enemy. whether in pairs or in a larger group, half the force stays down and provides covering fire, while the other half moves a short distance (~10 seconds of movment), gets down, and continues firing while the rear element (or man) moves up. rinse and repeat.

what i'd REALLY like to see is a better use of formations while moving. try as we might, the cluster**** is not an tactical formation. in the MA scrim, they weren't really in formations, but they were spread out just the right distance- not too far apart to be unable to support each other, but not so close that they an easy force to deal with. i think large line or V formations would be quite effective for attacking forces.
          [TG]epheneh

Comment

Originally posted by burble
            what sabre posted is basically what i was taught, assuming the enemy is fairly far away. from there, you can either choose to break contact and get away, or you can organize an offensive.

in a near ambush, though, rather than immediately dropping or going for cover (which you probably don't have), we were told to run straight for them, shoot/stab (if bayonets are fixed) as many as possible, and regroup on their six.

also of note, as it's similar to what muchkin posted, is using bounding to advance on an enemy. whether in pairs or in a larger group, half the force stays down and provides covering fire, while the other half moves a short distance (~10 seconds of movment), gets down, and continues firing while the rear element (or man) moves up. rinse and repeat.

what i'd REALLY like to see is a better use of formations while moving. try as we might, the cluster**** is not an tactical formation. in the MA scrim, they weren't really in formations, but they were spread out just the right distance- not too far apart to be unable to support each other, but not so close that they an easy force to deal with. i think large line or V formations would be quite effective for attacking forces.
            Interesting idea, getting a line formation across multiple squads could be quite helpful to holding a defensive position, and also would allow us to maximize fire.

|TG-2nd|munchkin
            Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

Seems like to most TGers formation is the tactical line they refuse to cross. They'll coordinate on anything up to that but try to get them to move together in a deliberate fashion and they become unresponsive in my experience.
              Xbox Live Gamertag: TG ABRA
              live.xbox.com/member/TG ABRA
              Friend me!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse