Dedicated transport pilot revisited

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dedicated transport pilot revisited

This suggestion has been raised before, but I'm going to do it again.

In the next scrim we should have a dedicated helo transport pilot. Keep the squads with 4 or 5 people in them, and the helo pilot in no squad (although in the war room TS channel). A SL can request transport in the war room, and the helo pilot joins that squad, flies out to pick the squad up and transports them to their destination. He leaves the squad when the extraction/insertion is complete. The pilot is an engineer and can repair friendly armor and assets when not otherwise in use.

Thoughts?

Re: Dedicated transport pilot revisited

I'm up for this - this would be most optimally utilised by fast attack squads, and rapid cap squads, which would not need 6 spots in the helo.
    Helo pilot + something like http://www.tacticalgamer.com/showthr...366#post362442
    FTW.
    Last edited by munchkin; 11-07-2005, 05:32 PM.

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
    |TG-2nd|munchkin
    Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

I think an under utilized tactic by TG is the delayed SL spawn in. Fill your dedicated transport chopper with squad leaders and have their squads spawn on them after deployment. Likewise I think the hallmark of successful blitzes is the ability to rapidly promote the surviving infiltrator to SL so as to spawn on him. Something else we don't seem to do well.
      Xbox Live Gamertag: TG ABRA
      live.xbox.com/member/TG ABRA
      Friend me!

Comment

This is something that could be tried in ABRA's Tactics camp (did I call it the right name?)
        "You live and learn. Or you don't live long."
        - Lazarus Long

Comment

<tangent>

I'm a big fan of EA Madden football for GameCube. In it they have these little contest things narrated by Madden himself that teach you about football strategy and how to execute plays. The cool thing is that the contests are actually a lot of fun despite of being edutainment. They call them minicamps so that's kind of what I'm calling this. Like bootcamp except miniature and with less spittle-laden shouting. So just trying this out in "the TG minicamp" would be fine.
          Xbox Live Gamertag: TG ABRA
          live.xbox.com/member/TG ABRA
          Friend me!

Comment

I'd like to see a little contest/race - who could deploy 15 troops from the carrier in Oman to the MEC airstrip the fastest, and without any of the troops taking damage. Something like that might be fun.

|TG-2nd|munchkin
            Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

I think you guys are making things too complicated.

A squad leader in your scrims now has to:
              get orders from commander
              give orders to squad
              request assets from commander
              request airstrikes on ts
              communicate with other squad leaders on ts
              communicate with the commander about what is going on
              communicate with his squad about what is going on
              assign kits to squad members
              assign roles to squad members
              explain the tactics to squad members
              serve as a spawn point for squad
              shoot enemies
              all while keeping an eye on what is going on around him
              &
              now you him/her to call in another guy on ts to come in and transport his/her squad

I think this is bordering on the line between work and fun for a SL and everybody else in the game.

That is what I think, but I'm sure many will disagree with me.
              |TG-33rd|Dark_Viper

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Viper
                I think you guys are making things too complicated.

A squad leader in your scrims now has to:
                get orders from commander
                give orders to squad
                request assets from commander
                request airstrikes on ts
                communicate with other squad leaders on ts
                communicate with the commander about what is going on
                communicate with his squad about what is going on
                assign kits to squad members
                assign roles to squad members
                explain the tactics to squad members
                serve as a spawn point for squad
                shoot enemies
                all while keeping an eye on what is going on around him
                &
                now you him/her to call in another guy on ts to come in and transport his/her squad

I think this is bordering on the line between work and fun for a SL and everybody else in the game.

That is what I think, but I'm sure many will disagree with me.
                You mentioned "communicate with other squad leaders on ts". For the MA scrim, all SLs and COs were (I believe) in the War Room on TS. A transport pilot could hop in there as well quite easily, and then all the SL has to do is announce his request over TS.

|TG-2nd|munchkin
                Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

Unless we're talking about moving to diagonally opposite points on FuShe or something, I really think that a squad in a buggy or two can move faster and safer than waiting on a chopper to arrive, flying to the new location while hoping they don't get shot down, and getting out of the chopper in a manner that has some sort of organization.

You bring a blackhawk over a MEC controlled beach on Oman, and that thing WILL be shot down.. either by AA or .50's or jets, ESPECIALLY in a scrimmage. Flying a blackhawk the length Dragon Valley is asking for trouble.

At the start of one Zatar round, I was with my squad in the flying schoolbus and went for the center flag. Another squad was racing for it in a buggy... The buggy arrived first, and probably wasn't as big of a target to a passing jet as I was. Another time on FuShe, the commander insisted on picking up my squad in a blackhawk and transporting us.. We got shot up waiting, artillery dropped on our heads, and shot down near our target when we did get in the air.

Before something like this is implemented, please practice the hell out of it in password nights or something. Make sure the CO is on-board, form a one man locked squad, and go to town. I just remember how miserable we were tying to use the flying schoolbus on Mashtuur in the TGvTG scrim and would rather not have a repeat performance!
                  Battlefield Admin() ()
                  [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                  [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                  | for | |

Comment

I could see how that could be useful.

You could load half a squad in the helicopter and have them flank while the rest of the squad attacks from the ground. It might be a good way to sneak some people to the flag and capture it behind the enemy's back. It would probably be a more effective strategy for the USMC since the BH can also be used as a gunship.

Comment

Would this person need to be a SM? I'm assuming so. I'm trying to work on the wife to allow me to become a SM but well, money is TIGHT right now. We just bought a house and all. So, would I be able to help out in this capacity or no?

In the pursuit of... something.

Comment

Originally posted by perry
                        At the start of one Zatar round, I was with my squad in the flying schoolbus and went for the center flag. Another squad was racing for it in a buggy... The buggy arrived first, and probably wasn't as big of a target to a passing jet as I was.
                        True, but at the beginning of the Zatar round in the scrim against MA, even though our buggy arrived at the center island first, their blackhawk spawned an entire squad on the flag right afterward, and they were able to take the flag and hold it for nearly the whole round.

Originally posted by perry
                        I just remember how miserable we were tying to use the flying schoolbus on Mashtuur in the TGvTG scrim and would rather not have a repeat performance!
                        We shouldn't take from Mashtuur the idea that SL insertions and paradrops are ineffective. In the TG scrim, we were paradropping to attack a well-defended flag that had a squad of enemies in a perfect position to oppose paradroppers. But it's an entirely different story when you paradrop a SL onto a neutral or undefended flag--in such cases, a paradrop can be extremely effective. As the MA paradrop at the beginning of Zatar illustrates, it's even effective against lightly-defended flags.

Comment

I think it would work, esp on levels like mashtuur and songhua.

However on any map with air power your just asking to get shot down. Still, the better I get at this game and am able to see the big picture, I'm starting to see how important squad mobility really is.

Comment

Originally posted by ABRA
                            I think an under utilized tactic by TG is the delayed SL spawn in. Fill your dedicated transport chopper with squad leaders and have their squads spawn on them after deployment. Likewise I think the hallmark of successful blitzes is the ability to rapidly promote the surviving infiltrator to SL so as to spawn on him. Something else we don't seem to do well.
                            I and many others of you saw this fail spectacularly on Mashtuur in the TG vs TG scrim as the MEC team rode in a transport helo to attempt to cap the hotel (? well, the one with the US radar n arty anyway) flag. The majority of the passengers were rapidly killed leaving MEC strategy stalled for 5 minutes or so.

Also, I understood the switching around of squad leaders in the way you describe was/is deeply frowned upon...I think it's part of the game...it's not a simulation...but then...is it "Tactical" ?

I'd personally love to fly as a dedicated transport pilot, and I don't think the option for rapid deployment from unexpected directions is utilised very often.
                            </2c>
                            The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Comment

It certainly appeals to me as well. I'm still honing my skills though.
                              Pavehawk
                              Any Time, Any Place

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...