Ambushes and Bridge Destruction: Effective Tactical Tools

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ambushes and Bridge Destruction: Effective Tactical Tools

Too often games tend to become too focused on the small area immediately around and at a CP/Flag. These points are indeed vital, and much of the game should focus on them. However, a small squad of 2-4 can inflict great damage upon the enemy by harrying, disrupting and attacking them as they attempt to move to their objective. This can create delays and distractions, allowing your team to successfully flank the enemy, or capture some flags which become undefended as the enemy reinforces itself at the point of your attack.

The chief method for this is the ambush, and the best place for an ambush is a bridge. A good ambush site must provide cover and concealment for the ambushing forces, and bridges often are surrounded with sites eminently suitable for these purposes. In addition, bridges leave little cover for enemy troops, and their nature allows the opposing forces to be surrouned and decimated.

Planning is essential to a good and successful ambush. The site must be chosen to create the maximum disruption, and to inflict the maximum damage. Consider routes to and from the target site, enemy lines of movement and supply, and possible areas to retreat to.

Due to difficulty of communication during contact, the plan must be a simple and fairly undetailed one, and each individual must know his role in the operation. He must be competant and comfortable, and able to carry out his duties without leadership or guidance.

The ambushing forces are divided into two groups:
    The Close Support Team (controlling and detonating C4, providing fire support for the ambushing team. This team operates almost entirely from cover.)
    The Assaulting Team ( The actual fighting force of the ambush. This team takes advantage of the ensuing chaos and disruption to overwhelm the enemy.)

Neither team will engage until the order is given by the squad-leader.It is vital that no actions be taken until this signal is given, since premature firing will alert the enemy to the existence of hostile forces.

Things to keep in mind -

- Placement of ordnance matters.
    Keep it hidden, and spread out. 5 C4 packs take out a bridge.

- Know the enemy force.
    It is essential that you have a basic idea of the number and type of enemy that will come at you, and when the ambush should be staged. Should it be triggered as the first enemy is on the bridge? Or should one wait till the first vehicle passes onto the explosives? This all depends on the makeup of the enemy force - the general rule of thumb is to destroy the most powerful and dangerous enemy first, and then work downwards.

- Develop a contingency plan
    Be prepared for a counterattack. Secondary sets of C4 in different parts of the bridge help get rid of nosy enemy engineers trying to repair the bridge.
    NB. Bridges repair quickly, so contact must be maintained to keep the enemy occupied.

Case Study:
    FuShe Pass

Example of unusual and good cover for Close Support Element, particularly the person detonating the C4. It is situated on the walkways directly under the bridge. If using this spot, take care to position yourself on the far side away from the explosives.

Position 4 (Close Support Element)

Successful Destruction of Bridge:

Questions? Comments? Suggestions?

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
    |TG-2nd|munchkin
    Nec aspera terrent.

Re: Ambushes and Bridge Destruction: Effective Tactical Tools

Good write-up. I would love to be on a demolitions team like that.

One question though. Given that most movement, even on TG servers, is a steady trickle of forces rather than an organized armor column, would it be more advantageous to let a significant number of single units and jeeps go by while lying in wait for the armor? Or is it more important to take out those small numbers (maybe even nailing an SL) and shut down the bridge in the process? FuShe is the biggest example of this, where you have multiple paths to a target area and lots of squads travelling in small groups.
    In game handle: Steel Scion
    sigpic

Comment

Munchkin, im beginning to think you belong on the 4th instead of the leeth :D. You keep on describing exactly what we do!!!

Comment

Couple points in addition:

In considering what forces to bite on select a force that you are sure you can eliminate in less than 15 seconds.

Concealment from the CO, his arty, and called in air support as well as flanking forces to ambush you is a consideration. SO obviously a spread out disposition, or chunked in an arty safe position is desirable(to get CO to waste arty on the juicy target). As for counter-attacks the two strategies to consider are area security elements and choosing less-flankable positions. To keep the ambush force small(and/or its ability to take on larger targets great) a smaller security force is desirable. So this means limiting yourself to taking positions that make you hard to flank by OPFOR CO directed pre-ambush attacks.

This leaves the demolition ambush as the preferred tactic. With the strength of the demolitions so high in this game(as Thierry's thread so wonderfully demonstrates +rep if you haven't already), this is a sexy alternative. Bait claymores and C4 with obvious mine placement.

Split into two ambush firteams. Execute demolition ambushes that allow you to trigger(often in abscentia while you are positioned at another ambush site while told to trigger C4 from a distance observer) and break contact and move to, establish, and reinforce the secondary ambush. The secondary ambush often onthe same route would be provided by the second fireteam.

Man I could go on about ambush tactics all day, especialyl relating them tot this game.

But here are the basics:

Short engagement: quick overwhelming fire, quick destruction, quick extraction.

Keep the enemy in the kill zone. Primary targets should be the first and last vehicles in the convoy, irregardless of their power. Even in BF2 their wreckage will slow the speedy exit of other vehicles(and act as an additional explosive).
        Likewise when attacking a bridge, especially a long one, hit both ends near simultaneously to trap enemy forces on the bridge.

Position secuirty elements at the ambush party's flanks. Especially with CO scans, ambushers are particularly vulnerable to sneak attack because thei concealed positions often restrict their ability to observe their flank and rear approaches.

Leave the area immediately after complete destruction of the enemy is attained(optimally less than 15 seconds). Do not attempt to 'reset' the ambush at the exact same location as a good CO will have air support there in seconds to wipe you out. A good SL victim will have buggies there in 30 seconds after initial contact. And even the worst victims will be more wary at the ambush location. Not saying you couldn't get them again, but why try when you can get them better somewhere else?

The issue of keeping destroyed bridges destroyed is not the business of ambushers. Extract and let snipers hit engineers, and let ATs delay engie occupied armour from a distance while you set up a second ambush down route.

Lastly IMHO, ambush and spec op squads in general should be kept to a 3 man maximum so as not to errode the garrison forces at CPs that really win the game for us. The higher casualty rate of spec ops due to the hazardous and short-handed nature of their missions means that the number of players they take from the main for should be minimal. Also this makes them less of a red flag when they appear on CO scans.
        Xbox Live Gamertag: TG ABRA
        live.xbox.com/member/TG ABRA
        Friend me!

Comment

Just an additional point:
          Using engys to help with bridge assaults can sometimes be more troublesome than it's worth, due to area of effect repairing that can get those pesky bridges up.

I still wonder why DICE implemented instantaneous repairing of bridges. A tad strange, but meh.

I've also had success with the use of 2 Support classes ambushing an infantry squad, creating a fair bit of chaos and disruption due to the visible nature of the tracers from the MG. It's also useful to coordinate with sniper squads, so that they can help you inflict the maximum damage possible.

|TG-2nd|munchkin
          Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler
            Good write-up. I would love to be on a demolitions team like that.

One question though. Given that most movement, even on TG servers, is a steady trickle of forces rather than an organized armor column, would it be more advantageous to let a significant number of single units and jeeps go by while lying in wait for the armor? Or is it more important to take out those small numbers (maybe even nailing an SL) and shut down the bridge in the process? FuShe is the biggest example of this, where you have multiple paths to a target area and lots of squads travelling in small groups.
            In my mind, I believe that it depends on the situation. If you have lightly defended flags on your side of the bridge, and a large contingent of enemies moving out, I would say start the enagement from the moment they start crossing the bridge.
            (I had an extra paragraph on this, but I was stupid and closed the window with my post before I had posted it.)

|TG-2nd|munchkin
            Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

Yep. Those bridges are perfect ambush points. Great post. Would +rep but gotta spread it around first! :) LOL!

Also, would it not be possible to have an engy on the other side laying in wait? As the vehicles drive by the engy lay mines on the opposite end of the bridge to the rear of the enemy. This would provide a little time for the demo-squad to move out as reinforcements in the form of armor and buggies would either hit the mines or stop and have to negotiate around them. Just a thought.

Again, great post.

In the pursuit of... something.

Comment

Originally posted by TG_JBRanger
                Yep. Those bridges are perfect ambush points. Great post. Would +rep but gotta spread it around first! :) LOL!

Also, would it not be possible to have an engy on the other side laying in wait? As the vehicles drive by the engy lay mines on the opposite end of the bridge to the rear of the enemy. This would provide a little time for the demo-squad to move out as reinforcements in the form of armor and buggies would either hit the mines or stop and have to negotiate around them. Just a thought.

Again, great post.
                Very interesting idea - that's going on the list.
                I'll test out whether mines on bridges affect the amount of damage and size of the explosion.

|TG-2nd|munchkin
                Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

I've tried doing ambushes before, but it's difficult because the other team has a tendancy to not go where you want them to. Personally I recommend destroying the bridges before hand where possible to force the enemy into specific routes (i.e., undestroyable bridges) where your entire squad is waiting, rather than trying to spread out to cover multiple routes. Once they're on the structure, quickly lay behind them to trap them in the kill zone (the spec-ops should have already layed a couple of C4 at the other side). 1 spec-ops, 1 support, 2 AT, 1 assault, 1 medic.

Comment

Originally posted by jepzilla
                    I've tried doing ambushes before, but it's difficult because the other team has a tendancy to not go where you want them to.
                    You need to set them in natural bottlenecks: between buildings on the primary path to a flag, for example.

A perfect place to set C4, for example, is at the front entrance of the Docks on Dragon Valley. Buggy comes in, goes boom, doesn't come out.

Personally I recommend destroying the bridges before hand where possible to force the enemy into specific routes (i.e., undestroyable bridges) where your entire squad is waiting, rather than trying to spread out to cover multiple routes.
                    It amazes me how few people do this.

Comment

I just realized that what we're really talking about here is guerilla/insurgent tactics. Roadside bombs. Feel kinda soiled now.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler
                        I just realized that what we're really talking about here is guerilla/insurgent tactics. Roadside bombs. Feel kinda soiled now.

No, it's not guerilla tactics: we are talking about shaping the battlefield.

Comment

Originally posted by munchkin
                          I still wonder why DICE implemented instantaneous repairing of bridges. A tad strange, but meh.
                          maybe bridges are like artillery. 5 packs brings it to like -5% damage.
                          |TG| aschmack

Comment

Originally posted by elmerfudd
                            maybe bridges are like artillery. 5 packs brings it to like -5% damage.
                            I just tried blowing the bridge on FuShe and then repairing. Used 3 packs and then 5 packs. Both times the bridge came back up after only 1 turn of the wrench.

Supply boxes did not effect it. (Although I did find out that you can repair supply boxes after they start to decay. :))
                            sigpic

Comment

Maybe you could consider tiered defense? ie:

Mines c4bridgec4
                              Ambush!

The leading elements - probably vehicles - go boom on the mines, slowing everything behind it. As the enemy is foced to bunch up on the bridge, det the back c4, cutting off escape, then the front middle for heavy damge. Mop up with spec forces carbines?
                              squad would maybe be engy, 2X spec forces (+ extra spec forces and medic on large map?)
                              Engy would be squad leader as he could hide out of sight?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X