Surviving in a tank on Daqing Oilfields

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surviving in a tank on Daqing Oilfields

Daqing Oilfields is one of the heaviest air maps in the game, but it doesn't have to mean domination to ground forces. Here's my guide to dealing with air power on Daqing:

The first thing to remember is that not all CPs are particularly vulnerable to attacks. Some CPs, like the center one and the refinery have a lot of protection from jets. The west oil fields has a mobile AA (pilots really hate those, they're nasty). The east oil fields and gas station are probably the most vulnerable, but there is sufficient cover to protect a parked tank. But don't just pop in a tank and sit there. We (the pilots) know where all the vehicle spawns are and we're watching those positions. Mobile AA gets destroyed all the time because nobody moves it and we know exactly where to look.

The really dangerous spots are the open fields between CPs, so armor is best kept on defense and in protected positions while not actively engaged. If you have to move a piece of armor across an open area, try to moving more than one at a time - the bomber is only likely to kill one on a single pass. Personally, I think it's best to attack in fast vehicles (buggies and transport helos), let your friendly bomber deal with the defending armor and steal the tanks when they respawn. Make sure your infantry isn't clustered around bombing targets (like flags and tanks) except when absolutely necessary. Infantry aren't visible from a bomber so there's no real excuse to get bombed if you're not driving something.

Man up AA and mobile AA. Spot enemy jets. Your fighter pilot really wants to find that bomber to shoot it down, so make sure you spot it. It's a big map so sometimes your fighter pilot needs help finding the enemy bomber.

More advanced tactics:

1. Bombers tend to fly specific routes over and over again, looking for targets. If you're driving a tank and have it under cover somewhere, make sure it's cover that protects you from a bomber flying along its usual attack run. If the bomber can see you, but you are still protected from it, make sure you move occasionally otherwise the bomber may make a special attack run just for you.

2. Similarly, if you have to cross open areas make sure you do so in such a way that it minimises your exposure to the bomber's usual attack pattern. Try to drive perpendicular to the bomber's usual attack run. It gives you the best chances of surviving saturation bombs.

3. If you get a lock on, pop smoke immediately and try to drive out of the missile's path. It's easiest to do this if you're driving perpendicular to the bomber's attack path. If you're not, start driving in the opposite direction you were moving. Watch the missile fly past your tank. If you keep driving in the direction you were going, the missile will still hit you.

4. If you see a spotted jet coming in on your minimap, find cover or make sure you're perpendicular to its attack run so you can engage in evasive manoevers.

5. The safest place to park a tank is between two buildings or in a tight alleyway. Covered spaces are good, but they usually have nice openings for a low flying bomber to pop a missile in through.

Re: Surviving in a tank on Daqing Oilfields

Couldn't agree more. Excellent post.

Except - smoke won't break the bomber lock.
    "You live and learn. Or you don't live long."
    - Lazarus Long

Comment

Originally posted by StrikeFear
      Couldn't agree more. Excellent post.

Except - smoke won't break the bomber lock.
      From my experience riding in the WSO seat, I would agree with you about lock except... I've done it. I'm pretty sure that popping smoke will break lock, except the missile will continue straight which usually means straight into your tank. So you're right that just popping smoke won't help, but I'm pretty sure that popping smoke + moving out of the path of the missile will. Last time I spent a lot of time in a tank on Daqing, I avoided about 4 air-to-ground missiles before the chopper got me. :)

Comment

Hmm.. not sure about that. What I DO know is ...

Drive a vehicle onto the runway in front of a bomber.
        Get someone in the bomber seat.
        Acquire a lock.
        Have the vehicle pop smoke.
        Note that the lock does not go away.
        Note that the missile will still change direction to hit the target.

That's all I know, cuz that's all I've tried.
        "You live and learn. Or you don't live long."
        - Lazarus Long

Comment

If the vehicle has no pilot/driver, it will not show up in the bomber's view. Though it takes a few seconds after popping out for the signal to go away, you can time it right and basically be invisible to a plane headed your way.

Of course, make sure there aren't any opponents perched nearby who would just love to grab your now-abondoned armor.

~Salad

|TG-9th| By Any Means!

- [ Creator of the Battlefield 2 Localization Files ] -
          - [ Creator of the Battlefield 2142 Localization Files ] -

Comment

Stay in the turret seat for the tank and duck down until you are needed. Keeps the tank occupied and snipers won't be able to see you. This also, like above, makes no target for the bomb run except an "empty" tank.

Comment

Also... another huge threat to armor are the Helo's...

in addition to all these "take cover" tips, there's one more I might offer. If you're being attacked by a helo, drive diagonally TOWARDS it - NOT away from it!! With the TV missle, you still have a good chance of being toasted .. BUT if you happen to avoid death there, the pilot MIGHT try to use his rockets... if he does that, the chopper has to tilt down which makes it fly towards you. If you start backing up, you'll stay in front of him longer and expose yourself to more rockets. On the other hand, if you drive forward, the chopper (and it's rockets) will tend to go over your head.

.. heh.. of course, then you're prolly F'd anyway, as the chopper spins and doesn't miss the second TV missle shot ;) .. but hey - if you've got some friends in the area on 50cals or AA, you might live to fight another day...

Comment

Yeah the drive under attacking chopper tactic is great. That combined with occassionally hopping in the boat MG has got be across the lake on Clean Sweep a few times. Works to a lesser degree as infantry as well. The trick is that after you do it once a savy pilot will usually head off a ways for a more distant attack run. In that case use the extra time he's flying away from you to either shoot at him or change direction so when he turns he can't find you.
                Xbox Live Gamertag: TG ABRA
                live.xbox.com/member/TG ABRA
                Friend me!

Comment

mmm... mounted MG's are GREAT anti-helo weapons... as helo's will loose health about as fast as a player standing out of bounds. (assuming you're accurate shot w/ the MG - if not, it's just an invitation to death "ooo-oooo!! look at me!! hey, down here!!"

For this same reason - gunners, don't use cannon on enemy helo unless he's already seen you... nothing i like better as a pilot than getting a freindly tap on teh shoulder from a cobra's MG. much better than the alternative (suddnely finding yourself watching the spawn countdown with |TG-2nd|Penguin [AH-17] You up in the left corner ;) )

What makes mounted MG's particularly effective is that there's a BUG in the game!! When your in a chopper, and you're getting completely shredded by a mounted MG, IT DOESNT MAKE ANY SOUND!!?!!?!

(Although I'll begrudgingly acknowledge that this does end up balancing the game a little. For example... The cannon on the MEC chopper is rediculous, with it's explosive rounds. Bordering on unfair even... On Sharqi, the best thing to do to piss off a chopper squad is lineup a Humvie or 2 down at the hotel - drawing fire from 2+ mounted MG's plus the Stinger site makes it REALLY tough for a direct approach to the action.)

Comment

I have found that the best way for me to survive in a tank on Daqing is to not get in one! Its almost magical how the minute I get in one a bomb falls on my head not more than 2 seconds later!!! But for you armor guys out there this will prolly help you out. I for one will stick to pounding the ground! Good post tho!!
                    Operation Iraqi Freedom Vet "101st Airborne Division(AirAssault)"

Comment

Good post, though number 5 leaves the door open for a hovering chopper or C4.

BF2 Name: Thez(NL)
                      BF2142 Names:
                      Thierry(NL) (Sniper)
                      Dikkiedik(NL) (Assault)
                      Kittekat(NL) (Engineer)
                      Dimi(NL) (Support)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement