No announcement yet.

Reflections on offense and defense.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reflections on offense and defense.

From most of the posts that I read and what I see on the battlefield, most people seem to look at offense and defense as static things. To them, you are either defending a flag, attacking a flag or the squad is split trying to do both. This can be a very helpful way to look at things at times, but it is not the whole picture.

As often as not, squads are not at a fixed point, they are moving. This can be used by CO's. Depending on the situation, a squad can actually be defending to a certain degree, just by the route and the methods they use to reach an attack point. If the squad moves in a spread out manner covering the probable route an enemy would attack from, they could engage any enemy headed to attack a particular point while still heading towards an attack objective. If the squad dies while engaging, they can still spawn back and protect the point. If they eliminate the other squad, then the point was defended and they are still in a good position to attack the attack point.

When planing opening moves, this becomes very important. If a fast moving squad can reach good cover, they can spot whatever was coming on either side. This can say a lot about the enemies opening moves and can also provide a great point to ambush. When a CO starts thinking in these terms, and have SL's on the same page, the results will be deadly. Although I only mentioned a couple of applications of this way of thinking, there are countless. Try it out, be creative and let me know how it works out ;)

Another point I would like to make is an alternative to the "fast attack" squad that would add flexibility and range. I think it would be handy to use fireteams from the nearest squad where you need a fast attack squad. This is almost like a fast attack squad being in several places at once, able to strike at a larger variety of targets, and able to blend back into their squads after that action. Although there are times when a small "fast attack" squad is better, if the situation/plan does not dictate that, this is a great and flexible alternative.

Re: Reflections on offense and defense.

Good post. I use this a lot as SL. If I'm attacking a certain location, I always try and manuever my sqaud to a position where we will not allow any tangos past us and therefore defend our previous flag. I am also a big time user of putting my sqaud into small "fireteams" to cap multiple flags quickly or put some pressure on one flag to make another flag easier to cap or whatever the situation calls for. Very good input.

This is quite a difficult thing to do unless you have a good and defensively minded SL whilst en route. This is because air and fast movers wilkl likely burst through your lines, making your defence line pointless (and who's going to set traps on a 200m hike?). Anything slow enough for you to engage is probably quite powerful (tanks APCs) and could rip you apart unless you have the same sort of equipment. This leaves you with just infantry, which is only a likely encounter if flags are close together (otherwise they take a transport).

There are 2 decent uses for this mid-line style that I have found. First is the close support scenario. Take the two south west flags in Oilfields. A squad that was defnding the northern one of the two could use the fields of fire to engage the enemy in the base to the south pinning them down and forcing them to react. This can be done simultaneously with a squad moving in to take the south flag. This was successfully achieved against AGE, where the 42nd, who were tasked with holding the north flag at that time managed to cause enough of a problem to allow Bommando's 7th squad to take advantage and manoeuvre around to the south west side of the flag to hit them from behind.

The second option is the high line defence / counter-attack option. I first successfully implented this tactic on Fu'She pass as PLA. We had taken the first entrance flag, and whiulst Beatnik's squad defnded it my squad was tasked with pushing on the southern warehouse. Crossing the open ground was suicide though, and after 2 failed attempts I had a chat with the cO. The conclusion we came to was to have my squad sit half way between the two points. We acted as a first line defence for the entrance, but were in a position to be at the southern warehouse within a minute. We staved off several big pushes, and then after a while the CO had manouevred another squad to come in from the north. We sprung into action to suppot the engagement, won the flag, and then sat on defence.

I would love to try a staged line defence.

Have a main battle line then a secondary line to pick up break throughs. The main line will soften up the break through people.

Perfect place to try this would be on Dalian Plant defending the south maintenance building (think that is the name) from assaulting forces from the Enterance flag.

Setup the APC on the road in a forward position with 3 infantry around it, with the jeep behind it acting as a second line. Post a sniper to spot and recon incoming forces. Then push your forces north, keeping a lone soldier behind in the jeep (I would have the squad leader here so re-enforcements can spawn to the rear) to clean up break through. A spec-ops with 3 C4 charges on the jeep (NOT A SUICIDE BUGGY, 2 spare c4 to place on the floor incase jeep gets blown up along with the c4) can use the jeep to quickly drive to the flag, leave the jeep there to save time placeing c4. He can also place it at choak points without the enemy spotting the c4, unless a AT or armour blows it before driving past you have a really easy and quick way to setup an ambush.

I agree with Wulfyn's analysis of the line defense an the engagement mismatches.

I've seen it more successful when you employ a diamond formation. A scout leads the formation at the diamond top. The riflemen form the main battleline in the middle. And the AT(s) take the bottom rear diamond point.

The scout calls the incoming threat:

If the scout reports heavy armor the riflemen displace, conceal and harass to draw attention while the AT positions and engages. If the armor doesn't take the rifleman bait the AT can wait until it blitzes through for a rear armor shot or two and then it's handed off to rear fast attack defensive reserves and the air squad.

If a buggy or truck it's pretty much the same thing. The riflemen(particularly grenadiers) engage as bait. But the lead time from the streched formation and the scout's intail sighting allows the AT to position for the easy front shot.

Then if infantry the scout empties a clip and fakes a paniced retreat to suck the infantry into the riflemen ambush or reverse slope defense.

So in my mind the attacking defensive line really fails particularly hard if it lives up to its namesake and assumes a line formation. If it stretches to provide defense in depth, it is more successful. You'd think it would loose its frontage and be less able to defend a wide front but a decent scout can give enough lead time to allow the rest of the squad to position along the same defensive front they'd have if they were in a line.

In any event this tactic depends on good communication between the attacking defensive diamond, fast moving defensive reserves, and air support to maintain any sembilence of a worthwhile defense.
          Xbox Live Gamertag: TG ABRA
          Friend me!

I guess my point was merely to perceive squads as moving, reacting things, not as something either at one point or another. They don't simply exist at the order where you want them to be. There are many applications to this, I only named a couple.

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed