SF - Basic Tactics, Goals and Predictions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SF - Basic Tactics, Goals and Predictions

After a good couple of hours of playing SF on the server today, I began to notice a fairly general lack of cohesion as a team.

- Ensure that your squad has an appropriate kit layout. The engineer and the medic don't get any new-fangled toys in this expansion, but that doesn't mean that we don't need them. Today, in about 3 hours of play, I was only revived once. :(

- Ensure that you have both zip-lines and grappling hooks available, and make sure that they are left in position until everyone has scaled whatever obstacle needed to be passed. Remove them afterwards, ensuring that the enemy cannot use them.

- Keep your squad organized, together and in position.
    New maps mean navigational difficulties. This doesn't mean that squad-members should go haring off on their own, but should stick with their leader. The advent of multistorey buildings means that it is sometimes harder to locate each other, but believe me, it's a necessary step.

- Make your radio comms clear, direct and descriptive. We're all still learning the maps, so give information about compass direction, direction of movement, number of enemies, type of vehicle, armaments etc.

-Think "multi-tiered" on assault and defense. Have troops positioned on a variety of buildings, ready to engage the enemy, and use the new maneuvering capabilities to their full potential.

- Learn to use the grappling hook and zip-lines effectively. Grappling hooks are used to move upwards, but can, when used correctly, allow you to descend a certain height. Zip-lines are meant to move you downwards, but can also move you horizontally if positioned just right. Practice this stuff on your own LAN game, so you can perform this proficiently when needed. Spending 3 minutes trying grapple a wall properly is just an invitation to get capped in a real game. Also, don't line into the middle of a wall 50 feet in the air. That's just stupid (and something I did a couple of times :( )

- Stick together, even when on vehicles. I want to see formations of ATVs and Jetskis, as well as cars maneuvering around the landscape. These little devils are weak on their own, but powerful in a convoy.

- Utilise flanking, replete with all the new weapons and gadgets. Here's an example:
    Your squad is moving to contact on Warlord in the city streets when a protracted firefight begins with the enemy. You designate 3 men to break contact. These three grapple up to a building, and wait for your signal.
    You signal over VOIP, and toss a flashbang at the enemy. One of your troops on the roof bounces a tear gas grenade off a wall and into the enemy, while the two others zipline down behind them and finish them off.

Sounds good, huh? Now get out there and try it.

Predictions
    1. Tear Gas or "Wow! I feel like I'm on acid or some ****!"
    In the very near future, I can see TGers becoming exceedingly proficient with the gas GL. These things bounce, and we'll have them flying all around the place - careening off walls, into bunkers, etc.

2. Traps
    Indoor and urban combat with all these new toys will often result in one thing:
    High explosives, small area. I'm thinking C4 traps in elevators, tear gas and flashbangs tossed into confined spaces, enemy troops gutted from all sides.

3. Use of civilian cars and technicals will become rampant. Those things rock.

Other
    - The Hind is one scary behemoth.
    - I feel so evil (in a good way) sitting behind a rock with an RPG in my hands, waiting to ambush an unsuspecting BMP.
    - Why are you still reading this? Onto the server with ye!

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
    |TG-2nd|munchkin
    Nec aspera terrent.

Re: SF - Basic Tactics, Goals and Predictions

aye aye, cap'n.

Those who give up their civil liberties for protection deserve neither civil liberties nor protection.
    -Ben Franklin-

Comment

Use 2 grappling hooks if you're attacking a rooftop that may be occupied by enemies. One guy up at a time is easy pickins for a defender. Better yet, have 2 guys on the rope, then a guy at the bottom throwing a flashbang or teargas canister over the top. When the flash bangs, then those 2 guys can pop up and engage targets.
      Battlefield Admin() ()
      [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
      [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
      | for | |

Comment

Originally posted by munchkin

- Utilise flanking, replete with all the new weapons and gadgets. Here's an example:
        Your squad is moving to contact on Warlord in the city streets when a protracted firefight begins with the enemy. You designate 3 men to break contact. These three grapple up to a building, and wait for your signal.
        You signal over VOIP, and toss a flashbang at the enemy. One of your troops on the roof bounces a tear gas grenade off a wall and into the enemy, while the two others zipline down behind them and finish them off.

Sounds good, huh? Now get out there and try it.
        Sounds good enough to buy... unemployment sucks.

Comment

I think a lot of us were just playing around last night to learn a little about the new toys and work environment..

I think its obvious that closely coordinated stealthy movements are the name of the game, because most of the flags and movement corridors are perfect for ambushes and solid defense. This is amplified in the low light environment.

If you are proficient at setting up defenses, and slow, methodical and highly coordinated assault tactics, these maps are going to be a lot of fun.

On the other hand, I just ran around shooting the cs and had a blast too! Course with all the smoke and low light, I had my share of team kills too (sorry!)
          Last edited by schemer; 11-23-2005, 08:48 AM.
          |TG|Schemer
          96th Assault Group

Comment

Yeah last night was more a playing around type thing, in a week we will see things really solidify.

Az
            [age-c1][command]

Comment

Originally posted by AzrealDarkmoon
              Yeah last night was more a playing around type thing, in a week we will see things really solidify.

Az
              Agreed, especcialy when the server is filled up more consistantly and we can have 64 players with 2 COs.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X