This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insight Into CO'ing

After reading Bom's How to get the best from your CO and B's Squad Leader and SL Guide Continued guide I have noticed how there is a lack of how to be a good CO. Managing squads is different from managing the battlefield although they are linked, planning the battle then changing it as the situation changes and new information becomes available.

This is designed to go alongside those guides, giving you possible ideas on how to defend or attack in response to what you see on the map.

Initial Plan
    Firstly, read the map description when loading, it will tell you how many tickets you need for Bleed (Some maps on TG are modded for bleed). Bleed is important as it gives you a constant ticket drain, forcing your opponent CO to attack your side’s bases.

Defending is commonly regarded as "easier", depending on the flag, defending squad and the attacking squad, when numbers and skill levels are equal the defending squad is expected to win. If you give the squad enough warning and support from the air (attack helicopter or jets) any attacking force can be broken.

To get in this position a good start helps, prioritise the flags you wish to hold. They should either be:
    a) Strong tactical position
    b) Provides important mechanized units (or denies the enemy their units)

You should then issue your orders. If you wish for a squad to pick up a white/grey flag then move straight on to attack another it is a good time to tell them this, Order them to capture the flag then issue their own order to attack the next flag. This allows them to move straight on, without requesting another order and sitting around expecting a defend order only to be told to move out.

Evolving the plan
    99% of plans do not go exactly as planned, the thing that separates great CO's from the average is how they modify their plan. It is impossible to give the correct strategy for every situation, but I can give examples with comments on what I am thinking and my actions. Later I will use Dalian Plant 64 player and ATC to demonstrate this but for now I’ll explain some tactics and the situations to use them.

Don't lose an Advantage
    If you are bleeding the enemy or have a big lead with no team suffering bleed then I would recommend mainly defending. To be in this position you will have the majority of the flags so any flag you would attack from that position is likely to be heavily defended so hard to capture.

Defending is not the only way to defend a flag, if you can attack a base that a possible attack would come from it will pin the enemy into their own flag, thus defending your own base. This is risky as the enemy could slip past from another flag and capture your base. I don't recommend attacking heavily defended flags, while you may pin some of the enemy into that base you are handing them tickets, with so many troops at the base capturing it is nigh-impossible and causing more casualties than your assaulting squad takes is unlikely due to the odds. This would reduce the effect of having bleed which you should take advantage of.

Rotational Defence
    When you gain or attack a flag often you will have to manoeuvre squads to defend. My method of doing this is called rotation defence, I will rotate the squads so that the front attacking squad defends there new acquisition, if they have left a base to attack another then I will rotate another squad into there position.
    An example of this is later on (stage 5) where I move one squad from a relatively secure flag further up to defend another flag.

Mass Defence
    On most maps you will require a squad to defend a specific flag such as on Gulf Of Oman as there is no natural choke points. This kind of defence is the weakest as you give the enemy the initiative; they are able to get near to the flag and then rush troops to capture the flag. It is always preferable to engage the enemy away from the flag, giving you a cushion around the flag.

Choke the Enemy
    On maps such as Karkand and Mashtuur there are bridges, rivers and riverbeds, which limit the routes of assaulting troops. If the flags you hold can take advantage of these map features it is much easier to defend your flags. Be aware that quick strikes using transport helicopters or jeeps to jump to back flags so keeping mobile forces behind the main choke points is required. (Asking for a squad to volunteer for this role is best, as some squads might not have the patience to sit away from the action)

Aggressive Defence
    One of my favourite tactics, is to use Lightning Strikes (later in the guide), often when the enemy has less flags and need to attack to stop bleed all the enemy troops will leave the flags to assault. This can leave flags empty enough to capture, the aim is not to hold the flag, but to deny the enemy the spawn point, reducing the possible direction a assault could come from.

Enemy is Bleeding you Dry
    If you are suffering from bleed then a flag is needed ASAP, you have to go on the offensive. I have heard squads question the amount of tickets they are losing with assaulting a base but the tickets lost attempting to capture a base to stop bleed is better than letting bleed take away tickets in the long-term. If a squad isn’t having any success then there must be reason, a good option is to try another method or a different flag, for that squad to say they can’t take a flag shows low morale so they are expecting to die. Giving them a fresh objective, which is likely to succeed, can rally the squad and make them more effective in the long run.

There are many ways to go about attacking:

Only as strong as the weakest link
    Identify the weakest enemy flag and attack that point, even if the attack doesn't work it should draw troops from other flags, stretching the enemies defences. Pick another weak point and exploit that.

So what is a weak link and how do you spot them? The most obvious thing is low troop numbers, but this can change quickly. If the enemy is assaulting look at the bases they are coming from, if you repel their assault they will probably respawn at the same location providing re-enforcements.

Lightning Strike
    If you see a weak point a quick strike to capture the flag is most effective, denying the enemy the chance to spot the attack and call for re-enforcements. If you want a squad to do this they need to know the target is lightly defended, just issuing and attack order isn’t enough information. Tell them your best estimate at troops and armour and make it clear you want them to charge the flag, otherwise (depending on the SL) they will approach expecting heavy resistance so will be cautious (some SL’s are very aggressive so my employ this tactic at there own discretion.

Overwhelming Force
    Manoeuvre 2 squads to attack a flag from different directions, while one squad starts the attack diverting the enemies attention the other squad can attack there rear and rush the flag. The enemy commander should spot this mass of troops and warn its defending forces, the likely outcome is artillery or a bombing run when you capture the flag.

Changing Your Mind
    Can be covered up by pretending it was a faux-pas move. A squad attempts to capture a enemy flag but is beaten back by the enemy who have re-enforcements, having drawn the resources from another flag change the squads target while you have a jet or helicopter bombard anything that tries to leave the previous target, pinning them in. When the enemy is blinded is the best time to attempt this.

Softening up
    Full credit to Bom for showing me how effective this was when he was SL of Jets and I was CO on Oilfields. He told me what he was going to do and co-ordinated the strike having the ground squad attack straight after the bombing run.

Need to break a dead lock? Assaulting squad can't capture the base due to lots of armour and troops, THEN HELP THEM!
    Co-ordinate with the jets squad to clear out the enemy using one-two combinations of Bomber, then Fighter following in immediately after covering the bombers rear from enemy jets then dropping its own bombs to finish anything that has been missed or injured. Mix in some artillery the only things still alive will be the lucky souls who found cover.
    While your jets squad manoeuvre for the strike, have your ground troops move to a "staging area", then as soon as the strike and artillery has finished, charge in, The squad should be able to make the flag go white or switch completely, either way its a more even battlefield.

Give your squads the best chance of success, if the enemy can keep re-spawning with fresh armour they have the advantage, take away the spawn point (hence there armour) and make it a dual infantry assault, the victor takes the flag. Get that squad to the flag as quickly as possible after the bombing to change the flag before the enemy has chance to spawn.

Out Manoeuvring
    You have a choice, you can either intercept the troops to protect your base or allow them to move further away from there flag, the further they get the weaker there flag is. Use this to your advantage, if the enemy has a long distance to move on foot then let them move, use lightning attack to out manoeuvre them but not kill them. Only once the flag they left is taken or white do you send your forces in for the kill, they will be stuck between to enemy flags with little support or hope of success.

Getting squads in the area to understand this is extremely hard while in combat, the easiest method is to not inform them of the enemy at all, or just giving a general order such as “setup your defence focusing north ”, this will make them prepared for the enemy but not know they are there until the enemy attacks.

If the enemy is moving using jeeps or armour this won’t work, the enemy has to be on foot and your squad has to have more mobility or too much time is wasted missing the opportunity.

Diversionary Tactics
    Some of the smaller squads are typically Utility squads, sniper squads or spec ops squads. Using these to support the major squads and not on there own is vital.

Hairy Monsters
    I think those camo suits make us snipers look more like a yeti than a bush, but anyway back on topic...

I view sniper squads as additional members of the squad in that area, as a lone squad they are weak due to the one-dimensional kit assignment so defending a flag on their own is hard, assaulting a flag is nigh impossible.

Identify infantry hot spots and position the squad between your flag and the hotspot, this does not mean directly in the path, but offset to a flank or even better both flanks. This distracts enemy troops, slowing movement as medics revive fallen troops but also supports your major squad who can assault the weakened and distracted enemy.

Some maps these squads are highly useful (infantry heavy, armour weak maps such as Mashtuur) while other maps (infantry weak, armour heavy such as Oilfields) they are not effective enough to warrant a squad, I would rather include them in the major squads to act as spotter and anti infantry while the rest of the squad concentrates on countering armour.

My Eyes!!!
    Nothing annoys a CO more than losing their vision; even losing your artillery isn't as painful. If you can't see enemy troop concentrations and movement you can't guess their plans or provide Intel to squads. When you’re blinded, you have to inform your SLs and get them to be your eyes but this is not as effective and can weaken your position. Placing artillery is like playing the old Battleships game, when blind you have to guess where the enemy are, usually at the enemy flags, but this isn't as nearly as effective as seeing a mass of red dots moving to one of your flags and then blowing them up while your defending squad holds them in position. You still have the max zoom to see if there are many enemy troops at the potential target but scanning the map like this is too time consuming.

Having a squad take down the enemy CO's assets (visual first, artillery second) can give you a big advantage if you use it correctly.

Don't have the squad attack them all game if the assets aren’t easy to get to (i.e., in the main UCB) as it is easy to defend them there. Instead choose a point in the game when the match is close and you need an advantage. Make sure the squad informs you when the enemy repaired their assets and as soon as the enemy scan and UAV go down. You can then CHANGE EVERYTHING, if you had troops moving towards one flag send them to another who won't be expecting it. Obviously there are limitations to what you can do but while the enemy is blind you can take bigger risks, leave a flag empty to overwhelm an unsuspecting target.

Choosing the time to take the enemy assets down creates a bigger surprise rather than constant attacks that a commander can defend by sitting in an APC next to them all game.

Use the surprise for max effect, blind them cripple them, go for the knock out.

----------------------------------------

Now for an example, this section is to try and show how you need to adapt to the situation, what I put here might or might not work in game, it is down to you as CO to decide when best to use them, no two actions will happen exactly how it did the last time you tried it, different squads, different variables and different results.

I have used ATC to create the images, if the images don't appear the hosting website might be down.

Start
    I know Dalian Plant’s bleed is half + 1 so I aim to take 4 flags. This is my initial deployment:

The numbers represent how important that flag is to my team.
    1) Provides a helipad with an Attack Helicopter and also a Tank
    2) Tank
    3) APC
    4) The enemy version of 1, attack heli, tank but also is strategically important as it it at the mouth of a choke point from the China UCB. If we can deny the enemy from these assets it will give us a very strong position but also bleed if 1, 2 and 3 are held.
    5) APC, the narrow land leading to the Reactors (1) is easy to defend so attacks from enemy at 5 are not a problem.
    6) APC. Furthest away from our main stronghold of the Southeast so least likely to be a target.

Notice how the North has the two lowest numbers; this is because my aim is to create a square of flags rather than a traditional line of beach flags then grabbing an extra flag to get bleed. The 4th flag to grab depends on the situation and enemy movement.

To pickup the flags I require I am sending my 3 full squads to the South, using the Blackhawk to reach the Maintenance Building (south west) flag before the Chinese. I also would order my Jets to concentrate their attacks in the area leading to the Maintenance Building and Main Entrance. This should delay any Jeeps or transport helicopters from gaining the flag.

Stage 2

Great, everything has gone to plan, as a bonus a small squad took a boat and also gained the Northeast docks flag giving us bleed straight away.

I get the squads to defend as we have bleed, moving most of the South Docks squad up to assist at the Maintenance Building which helps defend both flags (A small detail should be left to keep eyes on the South Docks flag to ensure no LALO drops on the flag go unnoticed.

The red lines show where I expect the enemy to push; they are losing tickets so have to attack at least one of these flags.

Orders:
    All Squads Defend

Stage 3

The small squad at the North Docks has lost the flag, so now no team has bleed.
    This is the first major break point, from here there are lots of possibilities but I will continue this example with one possibility...
    I scan and see the enemy mounting a major push on Reactor flag (red lines, this is a very possible action due to the flag having 2 or even 3 China flags to attack from)
    I respond by issuing ORDERS:

Jets - target = North Docks, it is exposed and narrow so easy pickings, leaving the Rector Tower squad to concentrate on the West.
    Attack helicopter - support a attack on the Main Entrance
    South Docks - Rush Attack using tank + jeeps, target = Main Entrance.
    Maintenance Building - Send a small detail to watch the South Docks.

If we can capture the Main Entrance without loosing another flag is the perfect result. At very least the strike at the enemies main base will cause them to rush troops to defend it, thus protecting our flags.

Stage 4

Yes, good work all squads! While the Chinese sent its squads to attack other bases we slipped in and captured their flag, pinning them between our flags and crushing them.

We have 4 flags, bleed and the enemy’s most important base. Attacking another base could either give us extra insurance to keep bleed or stretch our defences too thin.

I am conservative so issue the orders to defend; if I see a weakness then the situation could change. Don't be afraid to change your plan if you see a weakness, hit the crack in the enemies plan and it will all break down, if you let them fill the gap you have lost your advantage.

The green lines show the strength of the square of flags we have captured, the South Docks and Maintenance Building can be defended by a single squad while the two major flags can be defended by a squad each plus Heli and Jet support.

The North Docks is a poor flag to attack from due to that narrow bridge to the Reactor Towers. The Warehouse (north west, 6 in the first image) and the Chinese UCB are the main launching flags for any attacks.

ORDERS:
    Jets - Attack warehouse and valley leading from the Chinese UCB.
    Heli - Patrol the Northwest and West.
    Reactor Towers - Concentrate on the north, pin down the enemy at the North Docks, if enemy numbers reduce then send the half the squad + tank to assault it.

Stage 5

The Chinese launched a major counter attack to regain there most important base, using jets and attack helicopters to clean the flag out then sending in the tank and APC they grab the flag.

During a scan the North Docks looks to be defended by a token force left behind while the assault on the Main Entrance was going on. Here's my chance to regain bleed by attacking the flag using a quick strike as described earlier.

A likely target of the Chinese forces is the south Maintenance Building so I need to make sure the defending squad has support as the South Docks could quickly follow the same fate as the Maintenance Building.

ORDERS:
    Artillery North Docks
    Jets - 1 double-teaming bombing run of the North Docks.
    Reactor Towers squad - Attack North Docks once Art has finished and jets squad has bombed. It is important to make clear to both jet and ground troops when the bombing has ended and the ground troops to move in, stating a single bombing run gives the ground troops a visual Green Light to move in. If the jets squad could also confirm they have completed the run that assists in preventing any unwanted TK's.
    North Docks - Having lost the Main Entrance they are issued orders to split into two, 4 men defending Reactor Towers and a two man squad keeping an eye on the South Docks
    Attack Heli - Patrol between Maintenance Building area and road leading to Reactor Towers.

--------------------------

This turned out longer than I expected but hopefully its an easy read and everything is explained. I would love to hear any other ideas that I have missed.

Thanks to Bom for checking this over for me and correcting the mistakes.

EDIT: Changed image host to ImageShack.us as previous host wasn't working.

Insight into CO’ing Part 2

Thanks for the comments about Part 1, where I covered some of the basics about CO’ing such as:
    Pre-Match decisions (bleed and flag importance)
    Defensive Tactics
    Offensive Tactics
    Diversionary Tactics

This part is focusing on the End Game, which is often the most important part when in a close battle.

End Game Situation
    Once tickets get to around 150 tickets left watch the numbers very carefully. This is where things get serious and the drive to win really starts, the game should have been fun for all so far, but now get that aggressive squad to defend and don’t take no for an answer. Everyone wants to win but having fun is important, if winning is a real possibility then everyone will go for it IF you explain why you need them to something they said they would rather not do at the start of the game.

Bleeding the Enemy
    If you have bleed you should start to pull out a lead which in this point of the game the enemy will find hard to come back from. In this situation you need not attack any flags but only hold position, the enemy will become desperate to stop the bleed. Use this to your advantage, as big holes will appear as they attack flags to stop the bleed. Lightning attacks to those bases will keep the bleed going while the enemy blitzes your existing bases.

No Bleeding
    If the flags are even with no bleed you have to watch the tickets even closer, this is where you really get to see the level that your troops are played at. If they are playing better than the enemy troops you should be able to gain a lead. A single artillery strike takes a big slice out of the remaining tickets, you should of used it to support ground troops during most of the game (tempting as it is to kill that big red blob but killing that SL who’s squad is assaulting your flag is more important in the long run than those 5 to 10 enemy deaths) but now it is the time to make the most damage you can. Make squads aware that artillery is available (select squad 1 then hold shift and select the last squad, then right click and click Artillery Is Available) so that they know they have the option if they need it, wait 10 seconds for a request or a SL to reply on VOIP, if nothing comes then target the biggest red mass you can see. In this situation 10 deaths from 100 tickets is a tenth of the remaining tickets!

You are bleeding
    If the enemy is pulling away from you, then you have to look at what is going on. Are you assaulting a flag that is well defended? Some of the best squad leaders can stay alive for many minutes while their squad assaults a flag, but if the enemy keeps repelling your squad they get chance to revive their troops while yours are forced to re-spawn, losing tickets. At this stage of the game get that squad out of there! You are providing the enemy with free tickets, if you were shot in one leg would you shoot yourself in the other leg to stop the other from bleeding? You have to use quick attacks on the lightest defended base to minimize casualties.

Methods to keep your Tickets

Medics
    Get every squad to get at least 2 medics in the squad! Every squad should have a medic anyway but in this situation everyone should get revived who can be. Medic down? Pick up that kit and revive them!

There is no excuse for a defending squad to not revive their fallen comrades, repel that attack and get your troops back up! If they keep attacking through spawning on their SL then let them if you are sure you can defend the flag, while you are reviving your troops there’s are dying and loosing them tickets.

Take Cover and Spread Out
    Anyone who dies should be revivable, the only ways to die that are un-re-viable are:
    Artillery
    Bombs
    Died in a vehicle
    Died in a fixed placement (TOW/AA/Machine Gun)
    Finishing off critical bodies. (grenade dead bodies so they can't be revived)

So, when tickets get low go into Close Out mode, don’t man fixed position unless you have no option to. Get those troops and vehicles inside so artillery or enemy bombers can’t kill you.

Spreading out should be done all game; if you see a mass of blue/green troops what do you expect to happen? Would you artillery them if they were red, you bet ya, so ORDER them to spread out. Often I only say “Squads 1 and 2 spread out, you’re a perfect artillery target” but this isn’t enough, you have warned the squads but what are they doing there in the first place? If they are defending then give full orders, “Squad 1 and 2 spread out, 1 defend to the north and west, 2 defend to the south and east” this way they don’t move in the same direction while also giving them good defensive positions.

Taking Enemy Tickets

”I can’t revive you!”
    The best way to gain a lead in the end game situation is through killing the enemy in a way they can’t be revived. I’ll state this list again because this is so important and it needs to stick:
    Artillery
    Bombs
    Died in a vehicle

Once down to 100 tickets, 5 good artillery barrages can finish the enemy off (assuming there is enough combat going on to remove 50 tickets), just make sure your squads don't receive the same treatment.

Use the max zoom to spot exposed troops, you should know where there is a big warehouse for them to hide anyway but you need to be extra careful to not waste a strike on enemy troops that are hiding in bunkers or buildings.

Bleed
    Well way to go me for stating the obvious!

Bleed is still the biggest ticket drain, it is the #1 killer if you can keep it all round. In those one sided games with perminant bleed and ace pilots who get huge kills and the glory of number 1 in the list, well they aren’t #1 really! Bleed is number 1 killer. Even at this stage of the game you should try to gain it IF you won’t lose too many tickets to capture the flag.

Coming Back From The Dead
    I admit I don’t understand exactly how this works but will try to explain the list I put earlier.

Artillery – A direct hit kills with no revive possible. The further away from a blast the more chance you have of being revivable. If killed from the first blast by the time the artillery finishes your medic won't be able to get to you.
    Bombs – I THINK this is the same as above, direct hit = kill. splash damage = revivable.
    In a vehicle – Always perminantly dead, unless you get out of the vehicle before it blows up. If you are beside it when it explodes I think you are revivable.
    In a placement – Always dead, you vanish shortly after dying.

If I missed anything or you can explain better please do!

Now for an ATC demonstration, this time it will be a re-enactment of an actual end battle I CO’d on Strike at Karkand as USMC a while ago (from memory as there is no AAR). There will be some other tactics from Part 1 plus at least 1 other idea not previously mentioned.

----------------------

Situation – MEC have held a defence at the River all round using armour on the west side not allowing a river battle to form. We have battled over the flags on the west side with USMC holding the Suburbs most of the round to keep the high ground from which to attack the Train Accident and Hotel, no side has had bleed as its Karkand and stupid.

Stage 1:
    We join the game with USMC has a 50-point lead on around 350 tickets with MEC having 300.

As you can see MEC is concentrating on protecting the river, USMC has not tried a major push yet. I have made sure we hold the Suburbs, it is the most important flag on the west side of the map as it provides a height advantage. I send single squads to the well-defended Train Accident (Tank + soldiers defending) and one to the Square (APC + soldiers) trying to draw soldiers away from the river.

Stage 2:

For some unexplained reason MEC pushes on the Hotel and Suburbs en-masse leaving token forces at the river. With the tickets around 275 for MEC and 325 for USMC, they must of decided to try for bleed and attack our flags. Sounds like a bad decision but logical since we never assaulted the river, the MEC commander assumed his side was dominant and could push us back.

Stage 3:

The enemy captures all the flags! “OH NO how did they do that?!?” I hear you scream, well to attack those flags AND capture them they left the river and east nearly empty!

The only troops on the east side of the river are the spawning troops picking up freshly spawned armour. There is a single APC guarding the bridge and ford, this is my chance.

Still with a 50 point lead I inform squads 4 and 5 to spawn at the UCB and no other squads are to pick up any vehicle from there. I also made clear that we had a lead and we were going to try and break the enemy here and now, informing squads not to worry about losing the west as it is stretching MEC out. Hopefully this inspires the troops a bit with all the flags under the MEC flag I speak to all squads so they can hear the plan. A convoy is formed, 2 APC’s, 1 tank and 2 Humvee’s roll out with orders to not engage anything. They run into the enemy APC at the river + a TOW missile, we lose 1 APC but the convoy keeps rolling.

Stage 4:

With the tickets very close at USMC 225 – 200 MEC we capture 3 of the east flags including the most important MEC base on the map! We destroy the enemy assets and pin down the enemy who spawn in the Warehouse who are trying to retake the Factory.

With there Scan and UAV down the enemy wastes 2 full squads setting up a defence near the USMC artillery! I get all squads to spawn on the east side, with such superior numbers we can kill stop the enemy moving on the factory.

Stage 5:

Reporting that they haven’t seen any enemy troops for the past 3 minutes the two MEC squads move out on foot to the ford across the river. I react by getting 2 squads to spawn at our UCB, while this happens the weakened east side faced by all of the MEC forces start to lose flags.

(The MEC infantry lacks transport, I saw this but didn't think to post my 3 man Sniper squad at the river to slow the enemy down while I tried to get a APC to the river. Snipers (USMC snipers with a M24) are great to counter infantry especially ones who can't lay down in the water. Lesson learnt)

Stage 6:

The 2 squads I had spawn at the UCB move out using humvees to capture the west side before moving on to the river. We out manoeuvred the blinded MEC CO, tickets are very close by this stage, I had 2 squads away from action so we suffered more casualties in with East than MEC did. Tickets are around 150 – 150, its time to close this out. We have a superior position and my troops are on a roll, from the enemy having all the flags 10 minutes ago, we have now taken all of the west side while holding the most important MEC base.

The Close Out:

With ALL of the MEC forces attacking the factory its only a matter of time till its lost. I leave a token force there of a single squad to delay the enemy troops, while I have every other squad rush across the river, I don’t want this to end on a river battle. (The SL did great at the factory, acting as a spawn point harassing the enemy troops buying my other squads time to rush across the river)

We take two flags on the east side nearest the river. We rush our freshly spawned armour from our UCB to there for a final shoot out.

Tickets are now 100-100.

I inform all squads to stock up on Medics and to hold position. MEC only has 2 flags left with 30 troops spawning at them an all out win by capturing the flags is highly unlikely (read as impossible).

Enemy troops are flooding from the Warehouse, time for the biggest artillery strike I’ve ever seen, I swear there were double-digit deaths (10 to 15). Bringing tickets to, USMC 80 - 60 MEC.

We have a lead, my troops are full of confidence from capturing 6 flags in 2 minutes, and that huge artillery strike brings cheers from SL’s. With one strike I gave us a 25% ticket lead in about 30 seconds from launching the strike to it finishing

The lines are held (as ATC image), I try to get my forces more spread out but the enemy has had time to fix artillery/scan/uav and hits 2 of my squads bringing 10 or so deaths. (I kick myself for not having them spread out more – but I learnt from it) Tickets down to USMC 20 – 10 MEC, with my last artillery strike the round ends in USMC victory by single digit tickets.

Conclusion:

It is a typical battle from start to stage 6, everything I’ve explained in Part 1 of this guide has been used but without bleed you have to be a bit more creative as its all down to your squad leaders and their members to take more enemy tickets than we lose.

With such a dominant position at the end, IF USMC had bleed the final score would not of been so close. But as it is the huge flag count we had over MEC counted for very little except on a strategic value so other Close Out tactics have to be used.

Without those extra medics we could of lost the game, less than 10 tickets difference, if we had 10 medics that’s 1 revive each! That’s how close it is and how important medics are and being revivable is.

Artillery on massed troops caused the first break of the deadlock, if the enemy had stayed inside the warehouse the effects of my artillery would have been minimal while my troops lacked any cover. The enemy must not of realised the map lacked bleed and pushed for those two river flags making them extremely vulnerable to artillery for no reason.

----------------------

Thanks for reading, I think the guide is now complete so hopefully you have all the resources you need to step up to the CO chair, reading is one thing but practice is the key.

Don't worry about making mistake, we all make them just remember to make sure you have fun and your squads do.

Preston

p.s. Do the ATC examples help or are they confusing so don't add anything to the guides?
    Last edited by Bommando; 12-08-2005, 02:24 AM.

Re: Insight Into CO'ing

Nice. +rep!

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
    |TG-2nd|munchkin
    Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

Thanks for the comments everyone.

At this point i'd like to point out that sometimes you have to modify your plan for your team bearing in mind this is a game and some people like to do different things.

I'm defensivly minded so try to get my squads to stay on defence unless I spot a weakness as mentioned earlier.

But often a squad will start requesting new orders if they arn't in the action so you have to take into account that people might not be having fun. This often "ruins" your plan, but see it as a challenge, you can't beat keeping everyone happy while winning.

Once I get a decent lead in the game I will try to reward the squads by going very aggressive as we can afford to lose flags or even bleed for a while without too much worry, often in the last couple of hundred tickets if we have double the tickets of the enemy I will order a blitzkrieg on 1 or 2 flags, you've been warned!

Comment

Good guide +rep to you. Hmmm maybe this should have been a sticky?
        sigpic

Comment

great stuff preston!! +rep!

Comment

A small update and a thanks for the comments and sticky.

Thanks to Bom for adding this to the main post, this post is so people don't have to re-read to spot the update.

Additional defensive idea:
            Rotational Defence
            When you gain or attack a flag often you will have to manoeuvre squads to defend. My method of doing this is called rotation defence, I will rotate the squads so that the front attacking squad defends there new acquisition, if they have left a base to attack another then I will rotate another squad into there position.
            An example of this is later on (stage 5) where I move one squad from a relatively secure flag further up to defend another flag.
            Additional idea that can be used for both Defense and Offense although it is a aggresive move.
            Out Manoeuvring
            You have a choice, you can either intercept the troops to protect your base or allow them to move further away from there flag, the further they get the weaker there flag is. Use this to your advantage, if the enemy has a long distance to move on foot then let them move, use lightning attack to out manoeuvre them but not kill them. Only once the flag they left is taken or white do you send your forces in for the kill, they will be stuck between to enemy flags with little support or hope of success.

Getting squads in the area to understand this is extremely hard while in combat, the easiest method is to not inform them of the enemy at all, or just giving a general order such as “setup your defence focusing north ”, this will make them prepared for the enemy but not know they are there until the enemy attacks.

If the enemy is moving using jeeps or armour this won’t work, the enemy has to be on foot and your squad has to have more mobility or too much time is wasted missing the opportunity.

Comment

Insight into CO’ing Part 2

Thanks for the comments about Part 1, where I covered some of the basics about CO’ing such as:
              Pre-Match decisions (bleed and flag importance)
              Defensive Tactics
              Offensive Tactics
              Diversionary Tactics

This part is focusing on the End Game, which is often the most important part when in a close battle.

End Game Situation
              Once tickets get to around 150 tickets left watch the numbers very carefully. This is where things get serious and the drive to win really starts, the game should have been fun for all so far, but now get that aggressive squad to defend and don’t take no for an answer. Everyone wants to win but having fun is important, if winning is a real possibility then everyone will go for it IF you explain why you need them to something they said they would rather not do at the start of the game.

Bleeding the Enemy
              If you have bleed you should start to pull out a lead which in this point of the game the enemy will find hard to come back from. In this situation you need not attack any flags but only hold position, the enemy will become desperate to stop the bleed. Use this to your advantage, as big holes will appear as they attack flags to stop the bleed. Lightning attacks to those bases will keep the bleed going while the enemy blitzes your existing bases.

No Bleeding
              If the flags are even with no bleed you have to watch the tickets even closer, this is where you really get to see the level that your troops are played at. If they are playing better than the enemy troops you should be able to gain a lead. A single artillery strike takes a big slice out of the remaining tickets, you should of used it to support ground troops during most of the game (tempting as it is to kill that big red blob but killing that SL who’s squad is assaulting your flag is more important in the long run than those 5 to 10 enemy deaths) but now it is the time to make the most damage you can. Make squads aware that artillery is available (select squad 1 then hold shift and select the last squad, then right click and click Artillery Is Available) so that they know they have the option if they need it, wait 10 seconds for a request or a SL to reply on VOIP, if nothing comes then target the biggest red mass you can see. In this situation 10 deaths from 100 tickets is a tenth of the remaining tickets!

You are bleeding
              If the enemy is pulling away from you, then you have to look at what is going on. Are you assaulting a flag that is well defended? Some of the best squad leaders can stay alive for many minutes while their squad assaults a flag, but if the enemy keeps repelling your squad they get chance to revive their troops while yours are forced to re-spawn, losing tickets. At this stage of the game get that squad out of there! You are providing the enemy with free tickets, if you were shot in one leg would you shoot yourself in the other leg to stop the other from bleeding? You have to use quick attacks on the lightest defended base to minimize casualties.

Methods to keep your Tickets

Medics
              Get every squad to get at least 2 medics in the squad! Every squad should have a medic anyway but in this situation everyone should get revived who can be. Medic down? Pick up that kit and revive them!

There is no excuse for a defending squad to not revive their fallen comrades, repel that attack and get your troops back up! If they keep attacking through spawning on their SL then let them if you are sure you can defend the flag, while you are reviving your troops there’s are dying and loosing them tickets.

Take Cover and Spread Out
              Anyone who dies should be revivable, the only ways to die that are un-re-viable are:
              Artillery
              Bombs
              Died in a vehicle

So, when tickets get low go into Close Out mode, don’t man fixed position unless you have no option to. Get those troops and vehicles inside so artillery or enemy bombers can’t kill you.

Spreading out should be done all game; if you see a mass of blue/green troops what do you expect to happen? Would you artillery them if they were red, you bet ya, so ORDER them to spread out. Often I only say “Squads 1 and 2 spread out, you’re a perfect artillery target” but this isn’t enough, you have warned the squads but what are they doing there in the first place? If they are defending then give full orders, “Squad 1 and 2 spread out, 1 defend to the north and west, 2 defend to the south and east” this way they don’t move in the same direction while also giving them good defensive positions.

Taking Enemy Tickets

”I can’t revive you!”
              The best way to gain a lead in the end game situation is through killing the enemy in a way they can’t be revived. I’ll state this list again because this is so important and it needs to stick:
              Artillery
              Bombs
              Died in a vehicle

Once down to 100 tickets, 5 good artillery barrages can finish the enemy off (assuming there is enough combat going on to remove 50 tickets), just make sure your squads don't receive the same treatment.

Use the max zoom to spot exposed troops, you should know where there is a big warehouse for them to hide anyway but you need to be extra careful to not waste a strike on enemy troops that are hiding in bunkers or buildings.

Bleed
              Well way to go me for stating the obvious!

Bleed is still the biggest ticket drain, it is the #1 killer if you can keep it all round. In those one sided games with perminant bleed and ace pilots who get huge kills and the glory of number 1 in the list, well they aren’t #1 really! Bleed is number 1 killer. Even at this stage of the game you should try to gain it IF you won’t lose too many tickets to capture the flag.

Coming Back From The Dead
              I admit I don’t understand exactly how this works but will try to explain the list I put earlier.

Artillery – A direct hit kills with no revive possible. The further away from a blast the more chance you have of being revivable. If killed from the first blast by the time the artillery finishes your medic won't be able to get to you.
              Bombs – I THINK this is the same as above, direct hit = kill. splash damage = revivable.
              In a vehicle – Always perminantly dead, unless you get out of the vehicle before it blows up. If you are beside it when it explodes I think you are revivable.
              In a placement – Always dead, you vanish shortly after dying.

If I missed anything or you can explain better please do!

Now for an ATC demonstration, this time it will be a re-enactment of an actual end battle I CO’d on Strike at Karkand as USMC a while ago (from memory as there is no AAR). There will be some other tactics from Part 1 plus at least 1 other idea not previously mentioned.

----------------------

Situation – MEC have held a defence at the River all round using armour on the west side not allowing a river battle to form. We have battled over the flags on the west side with USMC holding the Suburbs most of the round to keep the high ground from which to attack the Train Accident and Hotel, no side has had bleed as its Karkand and stupid.

Stage 1:
              We join the game with USMC has a 50-point lead on around 350 tickets with MEC having 300.

As you can see MEC is concentrating on protecting the river, USMC has not tried a major push yet. I have made sure we hold the Suburbs, it is the most important flag on the west side of the map as it provides a height advantage. I send single squads to the well-defended Train Accident (Tank + soldiers defending) and one to the Square (APC + soldiers) trying to draw soldiers away from the river.

Stage 2:

For some unexplained reason MEC pushes on the Hotel and Suburbs en-masse leaving token forces at the river. With the tickets around 275 for MEC and 325 for USMC, they must of decided to try for bleed and attack our flags. Sounds like a bad decision but logical since we never assaulted the river, the MEC commander assumed his side was dominant and could push us back.

Stage 3:

The enemy captures all the flags! “OH NO how did they do that?!?” I hear you scream, well to attack those flags AND capture them they left the river and east nearly empty!

The only troops on the east side of the river are the spawning troops picking up freshly spawned armour. There is a single APC guarding the bridge and ford, this is my chance.

Still with a 50 point lead I inform squads 4 and 5 to spawn at the UCB and no other squads are to pick up any vehicle from there. I also made clear that we had a lead and we were going to try and break the enemy here and now, informing squads not to worry about losing the west as it is stretching MEC out. Hopefully this inspires the troops a bit with all the flags under the MEC flag I speak to all squads so they can hear the plan. A convoy is formed, 2 APC’s, 1 tank and 2 Humvee’s roll out with orders to not engage anything. They run into the enemy APC at the river + a TOW missile, we lose 1 APC but the convoy keeps rolling.

Stage 4:

With the tickets very close at USMC 225 – 200 MEC we capture 3 of the east flags including the most important MEC base on the map! We destroy the enemy assets and pin down the enemy who spawn in the Warehouse who are trying to retake the Factory.

With there Scan and UAV down the enemy wastes 2 full squads setting up a defence near the USMC artillery! I get all squads to spawn on the east side, with such superior numbers we can kill stop the enemy moving on the factory.

Stage 5:

Reporting that they haven’t seen any enemy troops for the past 3 minutes the two MEC squads move out on foot to the ford across the river. I react by getting 2 squads to spawn at our UCB, while this happens the weakened east side faced by all of the MEC forces start to lose flags.

(The MEC infantry lacks transport, I saw this but didn't think to post my 3 man Sniper squad at the river to slow the enemy down while I tried to get a APC to the river. Snipers (USMC snipers with a M24) are great to counter infantry especially ones who can't lay down in the water. Lesson learnt)

Stage 6:

The 2 squads I had spawn at the UCB move out using humvees to capture the west side before moving on to the river. We out manoeuvred the blinded MEC CO, tickets are very close by this stage, I had 2 squads away from action so we suffered more casualties in with East than MEC did. Tickets are around 150 – 150, its time to close this out. We have a superior position and my troops are on a roll, from the enemy having all the flags 10 minutes ago, we have now taken all of the west side while holding the most important MEC base.

The Close Out:

With ALL of the MEC forces attacking the factory its only a matter of time till its lost. I leave a token force there of a single squad to delay the enemy troops, while I have every other squad rush across the river, I don’t want this to end on a river battle. (The SL did great at the factory, acting as a spawn point harassing the enemy troops buying my other squads time to rush across the river)

We take two flags on the east side nearest the river. We rush our freshly spawned armour from our UCB to there for a final shoot out.

Tickets are now 100-100.

I inform all squads to stock up on Medics and to hold position. MEC only has 2 flags left with 30 troops spawning at them an all out win by capturing the flags is highly unlikely (read as impossible).

Enemy troops are flooding from the Warehouse, time for the biggest artillery strike I’ve ever seen, I swear there were double-digit deaths (10 to 15). Bringing tickets to, USMC 80 - 60 MEC.

We have a lead, my troops are full of confidence from capturing 6 flags in 2 minutes, and that huge artillery strike brings cheers from SL’s. With one strike I gave us a 25% ticket lead in about 30 seconds from launching the strike to it finishing

The lines are held (as ATC image), I try to get my forces more spread out but the enemy has had time to fix artillery/scan/uav and hits 2 of my squads bringing 10 or so deaths. (I kick myself for not having them spread out more – but I learnt from it) Tickets down to USMC 20 – 10 MEC, with my last artillery strike the round ends in USMC victory by single digit tickets.

Conclusion:

It is a typical battle from start to stage 6, everything I’ve explained in Part 1 of this guide has been used but without bleed you have to be a bit more creative as its all down to your squad leaders and their members to take more enemy tickets than we lose.

With such a dominant position at the end, IF USMC had bleed the final score would not of been so close. But as it is the huge flag count we had over MEC counted for very little except on a strategic value so other Close Out tactics have to be used.

Without those extra medics we could of lost the game, less than 10 tickets difference, if we had 10 medics that’s 1 revive each! That’s how close it is and how important medics are and being revivable is.

Artillery on massed troops caused the first break of the deadlock, if the enemy had stayed inside the warehouse the effects of my artillery would have been minimal while my troops lacked any cover. The enemy must not of realised the map lacked bleed and pushed for those two river flags making them extremely vulnerable to artillery for no reason.

----------------------

Thanks for reading, I think the guide is now complete so hopefully you have all the resources you need to step up to the CO chair, reading is one thing but practice is the key.

Don't worry about making mistake, we all make them just remember to make sure you have fun and your squads do.

Preston

p.s. Do the ATC examples help or are they confusing so don't add anything to the guides?
              Last edited by Preston85; 12-07-2005, 08:28 PM.

Comment

:row1_7: :icon14:

great work preston!! thanks!!

(+rep)

EDIT: DAMNIT! i'll get ya later!!
                You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Preston85 again.
                Last edited by WhiskeySix; 12-07-2005, 09:12 PM.

Comment

So additions to your guide.

Use VoIP! Talk to your squads. Yes, spot folks for them on the map, send them orders via the commander's screen, but spotting an enemy soldier on the map gives general information. Using VoIP and telling them he's hiding in the southern shadow of the green IMC near the west building at the Construction Site is WAY more useful (can you tell I use ZOOM a lot?).

Keep track of all your squads. They may be too busy to ask for supplies. If you have a squad who has been up (not killed) for more than 5 minutes, drop them a crate - they probably need it.

Let your squads know when arty, supplies and UAV are available. Be aware of which squads have battlefield awareness (they'll need UAV less frequently) and which squads have been in sustained engagements (they need supplies frequently).

Let your squads know via VoIP when your assets are down. They won't necessarily have time to look at the map to discover this issue. Again, use VoIP and determine who is best positioned to resolve the outage in the most efficient manor. most of the time, as commander, I spawn as engineer so I can repair my own assets.

Anyway, good write-up, Preston.

Comment

Great write up! + rep!

Maybe I'll feel ready to sit in the Big Chair soon :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X