The Assault kit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Assault kit

Assault kit, whether we like it or not, is often referred to the noob tube kit, due to the M203/GP30/GP25, but there is much more to it then that:

1: An assault has an assault rifle like the medic AND body armor, this simple combo is deadly in its own right, dont be afraid to really gun for the enemy.

2: Since you got body armor and a good weapon against infantry at both close and medium ranges, you should be the one to go around corners and alleys. The only weapon that has more chance of killing you then vice versa in these ranges is a shotgun.

3: Know who to target, as assault you'll be up front on the line and killing a guy that will only get revived is a waste of bullets, aims for medics and supports accordingly.

4: Your body armor and relative good medium range makes you one of the better classes to fend off snipers, a direct hit on body armor will leave you with more the 2 bars, and a sniper only needs 1 or 2 shots.

5: Keep moving! Whilst this reduces your accuracy it also prevents being a sitting duck and a sniper target.

6: Dont reload to quickly, you got a good amount of ammo, but if you killed a guy and got 21 bullets left in that clip, dont reload, if you cant get that enemy in 21 bullets, you'll be unlikely to have gotten him with 30, since you'll probably be dead.

7: You got a short run due to the armor, but because of that nice assault rifle, you're the best ambusher and rusher in the game.

8: Even the assault rifle can run out of ammo (yes it can!), and instead of trying to reload, switch to your pistol, even the mightest rifle is useless when out of ammo, and reloading will take far too long.

9: The main difference between the guns is the M16 vs the AK101/Ak47.

The M16 has a higher rate of fire (equal to M249-SAW), but lacks full auto fire and the damage is lower, but the accuracy and recoil is superior to the full auto rifles. The M16 is far better at single shot and gettin snipers then the Ak47/AK101. Be careful when firing on burst, as it tends to make accuracte shots very difficult

The AK101/AK47 are basicly the same, with the AK47 having a little more damage and a little less accuracy, but both deal more damage then M16 and are full auto weapons. They will win over the M16 at close range, but lose at medium ranges.

10: Depending on which rifle you have, either close in or try to keep a distance between you and your target.

11: It only takes about 1 to 2 shots from the AK101/AK47 to kill a sniper, around 3 for the M16.

12: The smoke grenade is by far the LEAST used weapon of all, which is sad since it saved my ass on several occasions. The smoke grenade, when thrown needs around 5 seconds to spread the smoke, so dont throw and run, wait for the smoke to pop.

13: The smoke wont last long, and you only got one, but it will still abscure more then enough of the enemy view for you to get away or make a move.

14: Coordinating smoke grenades with AT's, C4's or mines can do miracles, if a tank is owning a flag, pop a smoke on it and let your teammates know about it. Hopefully a guy with C4 or AT mine will run through the smoke and get that tank.

15: Smoke can be used for normal cover as well, if you need to cross a street, pop the smoke if you need to, you got one for a reason.

16: You can also use smoke to fool the enemy, if you throw a smoke grenade in the opposite direction of where you are going (or throw it on mines >: ) the enemy will think you are about to emerge from the smoke and act accordingly, giving you ample time to get somewhere else.

17: Smoke will help against a sniper only if he aint to high up, if you know where he is, and its not to high, use the smoke, lie down in it and fire in his direction. (before you throw the smoke, remember his spot well!)

18: Smoke grenades can be throw just as far and high as any normal grenade, and remember, throwing them in a spot where there are a lot of enemies will confuse them A LOT.

19: If you throw a smoke grenade in a group of enemies (like in nr 18 above) a normal grenade will do miracles, you dont have them yourself, but you do have a grenade launcher and you can always switch kits. (smoke + normal grenade = deadly)

20: Your assault rifle, believe it or not, is very effective against light cars and humvees. If you see a car smoking thats about to pass you, FIRE AWAY!

21: The grenade launcher, AKA the noob tube weapon has gotten such a bad reputation because of all the 12 and 10 year olds that dont know the meaning of a good game or fair play. This is sad, since it is a good weapon against almost ALL targets, dont be afraid to use, just dont blow yourself with it, or using at point blank.

22: The grenade launcher is by far most effective against cars and humvees, the light frame cars (FAV's) only need 1 shot and unlike with the AT missiles, they wont go through, they will hit! They take about 60 to 70% off a humvee, switch to your rifle to finish it off.

23: True said, the grenade launcher is effective against infantry, but should be kept for that purpose at long and medium ranges only, and of course against snipers. The grenade will fall a slow lazy curve, so the further the target, the higher you have to aim. Getting someone half a mile away is not noob tubing, its talent.

24: 5 grenade launchers in the tracks of a tank will set it on fire, this means it will gulp all your grenades, but you'll still get that tank or force the driver to come out.

25: You only got 5 grenades, if you see a guy in an FAV only 20 feet away, switch to your rifle and gun him instead, its far more ammo efficient.

26: It takes around 3 to 4 grenades to take out an APC when shooting at the side.

27: The one big advantage that the grenade launcher has when it comes to AT effectiveness is that it does not leave any trail, you can simply aim for that armor, fire the grenade and pop back in cover.

28: Grenade launchers are also effective against snipers, but it does take aim, and firing straight up is very inaccurate.

29: There IS a settling time like with normal guns for the grenade launcher, even though the sights dont show it. If you lie down or wait 1 second, the accuracy is far higher.

30: If a guy catches you unawares and fires bullets, respond with bullets, its just to cheap to noobtube him there on the spot.

31: When you aim higher then say 60 degrees, the grenade wont go further, it will do the opposite but it just takes longer.

32: Using the smoke grenade and grenade launcher in combination can have very deadly effects. Simply throw the smoke, wait for it to spread and make your move.

33: The grenade launcher is also very effective against choppers! yes it is! On maps like Zatar, where choppers fly over low, just aim a bit a above and a bit more ahead and there you go. 1 AA missile with a grenade launcher and maybe a few bullets will down a chopper. Just watch out for friendlies.

34: The main advantage over the grenade is that the launcher grenade will detonate on impact, this makes it effective in aiming ahead of the enemy or in destroying supply crates.

35: Try to aviod using the grenade launcher though, not because of the whole noob scenario, but because a lot of targets can be dealt with bullets just as well and you only got 5 grenades, and bullets dont drop like grenades ;).

Hope this helps you assault people out there :)

BF2 Name: Thez(NL)
    BF2142 Names:
    Thierry(NL) (Sniper)
    Dikkiedik(NL) (Assault)
    Kittekat(NL) (Engineer)
    Dimi(NL) (Support)

Re: The Assault kit

+rep to you. Excellent rundown.

Assault remains my favorite kit, precisely because it is so simple. No matter what loadout the squad is going with, no matter how clever an SL you have (with your coordinated AT strikes and your support/medic logistics and sneaky claymore placement) having a heavy-hitting ground pounder in the group will always help at some point. I'm always amazed when a 6-man infantry squad ends up with no assaults.

23: True said, the grenade launcher is effective against infantry, but should be kept for that purpose at long and medium ranges only, and of course against snipers. The grenade will fall a slow lazy curve, so the further the target, the higher you have to aim. Getting someone half a mile away is not noob tubing, its talent.
    And it feels so satisfying when you see it happen. The only thing better than getting someone half a mile away is getting two people half a mile away. Behind a fence.

Assault is also most likely to get you those "Rambo" moments. You know, lobbing a grenade into an enemy position, dashing around a low wall, emptying your rifle clip, then whipping out the pistol to pop off the straggler. Getting shot, lying on the ground screaming at the medic to get you up, reviving, realizing that you have to reload now because you didn't earlier, getting shot again, getting the medic shot since he had to run into enemy fire to save your sorry ass. Wait a minute...
    In game handle: Steel Scion
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler
      +rep to you. Excellent rundown.

Assault remains my favorite kit, precisely because it is so simple. No matter what loadout the squad is going with, no matter how clever an SL you have (with your coordinated AT strikes and your support/medic logistics and sneaky claymore placement) having a heavy-hitting ground pounder in the group will always help at some point. I'm always amazed when a 6-man infantry squad ends up with no assaults.

And it feels so satisfying when you see it happen. The only thing better than getting someone half a mile away is getting two people half a mile away. Behind a fence.

Assault is also most likely to get you those "Rambo" moments. You know, lobbing a grenade into an enemy position, dashing around a low wall, emptying your rifle clip, then whipping out the pistol to pop off the straggler. Getting shot, lying on the ground screaming at the medic to get you up, reviving, realizing that you have to reload now because you didn't earlier, getting shot again, getting the medic shot since he had to run into enemy fire to save your sorry ass. Wait a minute...

We'll leave that to the medic :P Besides, he got the same rifle as you do :D

BF2142 Names:
      Thierry(NL) (Sniper)
      Dikkiedik(NL) (Assault)
      Kittekat(NL) (Engineer)
      Dimi(NL) (Support)

Comment

wow, GREAT stuff Thierry, thanks!! (+rep)

Comment

Hey thats some great info. I actually learned a couple things I didn't know for sure before. I totally agree with that comment about the Rambo momments. Although playing some of the other kits can be very exciting (especially Special Forces when taking out a tank or something), nothing matches Assault for me.

Comment

Good stuff.

Could you try a different layout for the next guide, having lists that long takes some reading. Maybe have headings like Rifle, Armour, Tactics with lists within them, just to break up the list to make it feel shorter.

Maybe provide links to your other guides so people who haven't seen them can click and read the others.

Looking forward to the next (any idea what it will be?)

Comment

Great write up, +rep. You hit alot of good points, and its true that the assault is great for those "rambo moments" where a medic or whatever would just get shot up. I myself work fine with all kits exept engie, and am a something of a "toob-master" and can be VERY proficient with the launcher. It is indeed very gratifying to pull off shots that seem impossible, like firing at a squad behind cover while running and taking fire, and wipeing out the entire bunch, saving your squad from a time consuming firefight. The weapon is quite valuable.

But I dissagre that it is best for long-med range fights. I find that the launcher can be a great weapon in CQB, not so close you kill or hurt yourself, but for clearing dug-in enemies in buildings.
              War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, who has no chance at being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. -- John Stuart Mill--

"O xein angellein lakedaimoniois hoti tede keimetha tois keinon rhemasi peithomenoi"- Monument, Thermopylae

Comment

Originally posted by Preston85
                Good stuff.

Could you try a different layout for the next guide, having lists that long takes some reading. Maybe have headings like Rifle, Armour, Tactics with lists within them, just to break up the list to make it feel shorter.

Maybe provide links to your other guides so people who haven't seen them can click and read the others.

Looking forward to the next (any idea what it will be?)
                I am not telling my secrets ;) cough spec ops cough

BF2142 Names:
                Thierry(NL) (Sniper)
                Dikkiedik(NL) (Assault)
                Kittekat(NL) (Engineer)
                Dimi(NL) (Support)

Comment

I love the assault kit, and unless the situation specifically calls for a different kit it's my default choice. Grenade launcher takes an incredible amount of skill at great distances, my personal best kill was hitting a full FAV from a long ways away while it was going at full speed. It's become second nature to me, I love the noob tube.

Comment

Originally posted by Thierry
                    I am not telling my secrets ;) cough spec ops cough
                    That's my kit - I can't wait to see your entry on that one. Here's a freebie: chasing a tank with your C4, with the tank going faster than you, not only usually gets you killed but has the added advantage of making you look like the fool you are. ;)

Comment

The assault kit is very useful when used correctly. My only complaint would be that the 'nade launcher is a little too effective. I get very frustrated sometimes when I play against a team with loads of assault players because nearly 50% of my deaths are caused by the noob toob. Especially at close range. (If you've been in my squad I'm sure you've heard me get upset after being noob toobed for the tenth time in a row.) I play assault fairly often (Whenever there are already enough medics and no other specific class is needed) and am usually very effeicent (15-20 more kills than deaths) while using the toob only in situations where I'd noramlly use a hand grenade (or for attacking vehichles). I wish other players would do the same, although, if they manage to hit me from very long range I'll be in awe, and therefore unable to complain. (I can't hit anything on the first shot much further than 50m)
                      AKA ContingencyPlan

Comment

Yeah I use the assault kit too if everything else is more or less covered. It is a great combination. I agree with the 'nade launcher, some guys try to use the thing like a shot gun close in, what's up with that? I use it like throwing a granade, only it saves the wear and tear on my arm !! LOL
                        Bill

|TG-33rd|BigBill

Comment

Assault is my favorite kit. The grenade launcher is a great tool because it can save your squad from FAVs and Humvees and the like that may be too quick for AT guys or the AT might not want to waste a rocket on them. I like the M-16's three round burst as I find it is accurate enough to get 2-3 hits in much faster than full auto can put the same number (2-3) hits in accurately.

One thing I like to use the grenade launcher for is to direct enemy movement. Hitting dead on at range is tough, but sometimes the explosion will move enemy troops in another direction or it will split up squads. This can give you a tactical advantage.

Also: Smoke is way underused.

Comment

I wonder if it'd be possible to add a "minimum arming distance" to the GL for tactical mod. IRL, do those things really blow up if you fire them point blank? Of course, you'd want to give assault a couple of good old fashioned frags to compensate.
                            |TG-1stMIP|Mannerism​​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMann
                              I wonder if it'd be possible to add a "minimum arming distance" to the GL for tactical mod.
                              I tried, but the grenade would then fly through solid objects before it was armed. The PRMM guys also tried and had the same results. I'm keeping an eye out for any successful implementations of this.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X