Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A couple of minor observations as commander.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple of minor observations as commander.

Heyyas, I am admittadly a newbie at commanding, but I wanted to point out one small trick I was using, and my personal priorities when it comes to commander assets.

Starting with assets, I rate their importance as follows:
    1. Scanner
    2. UAV
    3. Artillery

My reasons are as follows, Intel and Info are more important in this game than a few kills with an arty strike, I tend to use arty more surgically to help and attack or defense as I see fit, and will only go for big kills when I am ticket punching to get that margin for victory.

I consider the scanner most important since it tells me WHERE to put my arty or UAVs. I consider UAV more important than arty since as a SL, I find enemy info more useful than a arty strike which will be recovered from in 15 seconds.

As for my little trick I do use, when I am not monitoring a specific area of engagement, I will usually click the map over the area of the enemie's artillery. You can hear thier artillery firing this way, even when in the most zoomed out mode. That way I can relay to my SL's that enemy arty is firing.
    It's not what you know,
    It's not who you know,
    It's what you know about who you know.

[TG]BlackBart / [TG]FatalCure

Re: A couple of minor observations as commander.

Originally posted by BlackBart

As for my little trick I do use, when I am not monitoring a specific area of engagement, I will usually click the map over the area of the enemie's artillery. You can hear thier artillery firing this way, even when in the most zoomed out mode. That way I can relay to my SL's that enemy arty is firing.
    I like this idea.. I also recall an SL telling us last night that was going on.. my next thought was - why is that important? Ignored it, but still moved about 100 yards to take-up another position.. it was a good thing - when the arty happened to be targeted at us.

But is that an exploitation of the game to do that? The thought just occured to me.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by P8riot
      But is that an exploitation of the game to do that? The thought just occured to me.
      I would not think so, unless you consider the whole idea of a CO being able to see units on the ground (and spotting them) an exploit.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus
        I would not think so, unless you consider the whole idea of a CO being able to see units on the ground (and spotting them) an exploit.
        Yes, good point.. very good point in fact.
        sigpic

Comment

If you have the map anywhere near the enemy arty you can hear it, you don't even need to be fully zoomed in. I warn troops all the time from no where near enemy artillary, I know its not mine and can guess who needs to spread out.

One of the common things I have to say is "Squads #, # and #, spread out and take cover, your a perfect artillary target" about 15 seconds later boom, anyone who didn't listen dies. Remove UAV and Scan and the enemy won't see these targets so rely on SL's and pure luck.

BlackBart, check out http://www.tacticalgamer.com/battlef...nto-coing.html if you haven't already, I only touch on this point but theres lots more in there that you might like to read.
          Last edited by Preston85; 12-04-2005, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Thanks Preston! excelent article
            +rep
            It's not what you know,
            It's not who you know,
            It's what you know about who you know.

[TG]BlackBart / [TG]FatalCure

Comment

lol I was wondering how you were calling out enemy arty to SLs on Mashtuur the other nite. :)
              Beatnik

Comment

I agree. The UAV/radar are a commanders eyes and the artillery his/her arms. It is worse to be blind than having your arms cut off.
                When Specops I go for the radar and UAV first. The CO won't be able to see us Specops then and has to send a lot more goons out.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X