Spread Out! We're a cluster of red!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spread Out! We're a cluster of red!

I was playing a couple nights ago as Chinese on Dalian and my squad was defending the east oil field. I set up on the hill to the south to ambush anyone coming from the other parts of the map. But my squad stayed close to me, as if huddled for warmth. All I could think of was the enemy commander's view of my position: A nice, bright, fuzzy patch of red. "Ooh, wouldn't it be nice to drop some arty there!" I told my squad to spread out, that we were just inviting it, and moved down the slope a couple hundred meters. My squad likewise scattered to distant parts of the slope. Just as we cleared the area, the first shells arrived. (I now have the repuation of being psychic. :p)

So when you spawn on your SL, take a moment to make sure you won't be seen (and give away your SL and your spawn point), and move out. And don't head straight at the target CP. Or the enemy commander will see a line of red dots pointing right at your SL. Dogleg to the side, then head in. If you're to attack in a group, you still need to move off the SL position to a point to either side to eliminate that bright red dot on the enemy commander's display.

Spreading out also makes it less clear which red dot is a SL. It's like playing 3-card monty. The SL moves around and nobody clusters, so the commander has to guess who's the SL.

The one exception is when taking the flag. Then you want to collapse on a point long enough to flip the flag, and then, as soon as the flag hits the top of the pole, bug out!. Shells will be inbound once someone sees the grey flag.
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: Spread Out! We're a cluster of red!

Ha! Zoom in! I like to be an unrepentant Zues hurling lightening bolts at silly mortals! I have no need to Zoom! For that would to be on equal level with mortals!

But yeah, especially from my experience as a CO I will look around and think, ya know if I had an arty strike I would smite us...Then we scatter.

Az
    [age-c1][command]

Comment

nice post, scratch... +rep

Comment

The best SLs get a reputation for predicting enemy artillary strikes. I find this nice because the squad members don't have to worry about specific tactics every time and I think this makes for a more effective squad.

Comment

This applies even more to Tactical Gamer, where we're so focused on teamwork and tactics we like to neglect the very basics of a first person shooter. Sure, it is pretty awesome when an entire squad disembarks from a blackhawk and assaults a flag in formation, covering every possible angle of attack, but if you would just sprint like crazy instead of trying to move as a team, you wouldn't get taken out by one clip of my SAW. Another thing, if your SL orders an attack on a flag, it doesn't mean you all have to start running at the same time except the one guy who stays back to give covering fire. It might work like that in real life, but you're much better out writing your name on the ground with pistol bullets for a few seconds, then following your teammates. It looks sort of silly and unprofessional to attack a flag all spread out and uncohesive like, but you'll spot people firing on your teammates from far away and you don't need to worry about grenades or deadly automatic weapons. And, as mentioned above, there's always artillery.

Comment

Originally posted by Bommando
            I was just talking to Wulfyn about SL arty Sixth Sense the other day. It seems like after a while you develop this weird feeling based on your surroundings. Much like that acrid smell in the air before a thunderstorm. In general, you should always be best placed to avoid part of an arty strike and also remember that all arty strikes consist of 5 impacts.

Of course, when I'm commander, I look for more than just the best cluster of targets. I zoom right in to see where I think they will be headed and what cover they will regroup next to. The SL should always protect themselves from what they would deem to be the best arty target locations.
            Amen to that, its always satisfying to call an arty strike before it happens, get everyone clear, and see the shells hit right where you were.

Comment

Spot on, Tyco. My point is directed at the guys new on the server who seem lost and figure they'll be protected by hiding behind me, snuggled up close. When my SL directs me to move with the team, I first space myself apart 50-100 feet, precisely so that either I draw fire and my team sees the source or vice versa, and so that we're not one easy target.

On the oil fields last night I was in a squad guarding the west oil fields, partially covering the approach from the power plant. I drove a truck up to the top of the hill, about 2/3 of the way to the power plant, and took up station there, firing into the power plant or at vehicles below. The rest of the squad was quite spread out. The enemy commander kept dropping arty on different squad mates, including me, but couldn't kill more than one of us because of our spread.
              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by TychoCelchuuu
                Sure, it is pretty awesome when an entire squad disembarks from a blackhawk and assaults a flag in formation, covering every possible angle of attack, but if you would just sprint like crazy instead of trying to move as a team, you wouldn't get taken out by one clip of my SAW. ... It looks sort of silly and unprofessional to attack a flag all spread out and uncohesive like, but you'll spot people firing on your teammates from far away and you don't need to worry about grenades or deadly automatic weapons.
                So true. One of the biggest hurdles I have for the minicamp is evolving beyond traditional military tactics that simply do not work in BF2. I think the goal needs to be a synthesis of squad cooperation and individual arena FPS prowess. The end result being a whole squad that behaves chaotically and unpredictably like an arena FPS player but does so in a unified, mutually supporting way.
                Xbox Live Gamertag: TG ABRA
                live.xbox.com/member/TG ABRA
                Friend me!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse