Flares doing more harm than good?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flares doing more harm than good?

I was wondering if anyone else has seen this happen. More often than not, when using flares on a missle homing in on my tailpipe, I've seen the missle hit that last flare leaving the dispenser, explode, and damage/destroy my plane in the process. Usually I'm in a tight turn when releasing flares, so it's not just a matter of the missle "burning through" the flares and continuing on.

Would releasing flares after a missle has been fired do more harm than good, in effect leaving a "trail" for the seeker head to follow? I'm just speculating here, of course. Any thoughts?

Here's what I'm talking about, in my best ASCII art:
    Code:
                  (top view)            

Me                        

/                       
            <==== * *    Flares        
               \   \  *                
                     .   *             
              Missle  .   *            
                path  .                

^                
                      I  Dark          
                      I  Vulture       
                     /I\               
                      I
    <insert signature spam here>

Re: Flares doing more harm than good?

Originally posted by Lekdevil.NL
    I was wondering if anyone else has seen this happen. More often than not, when using flares on a missle homing in on my tailpipe, I've seen the missle hit that last flare leaving the dispenser, explode, and damage/destroy my plane in the process. Usually I'm in a tight turn when releasing flares, so it's not just a matter of the missle "burning through" the flares and continuing on.

Would releasing flares after a missle has been fired do more harm than good, in effect leaving a "trail" for the seeker head to follow? I'm just speculating here, of course. Any thoughts?

Here's what I'm talking about, in my best ASCII art:
    Code:
                  (top view)            

Me                        

/                       
            <==== * *    Flares        
               \   \  *                
                     .   *             
              Missle  .   *            
                path  .                

^                
                      I  Dark          
                      I  Vulture       
                     /I\               
                      I
    Interesting idea - I think that if you pulling the tight turns might add to this effect. If you are flying straight and level, flares will descend in an irregular patterns so as to not create a path to be followed. If you want, I'm more than willing to test this with you sometime.

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
    |TG-2nd|munchkin
    Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

On another note, Viper is going to mount you for calling him Dark Vulture.
      :D

|TG-2nd|munchkin
      Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

Dark Vulture?

As for your problem. You were in a bomber or F-35 wern't you? A missle will hit those planes at a 90 angle.

It's not hitting the flare, just the huge hitbox on those planes.
        |TG-33rd|Dark_Viper

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Vulture
          As for your problem. You were in a bomber or F-35 wern't you? A missle will hit those planes at a 90 angle.

And yet I still couldn't pick you up today by buzzing the airfield. :(
          But yeah, everything Viper...uh...Vulture says is true.

|TG-2nd|munchkin
          Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Viper
            Dark Vulture?

As for your problem. You were in a bomber or F-35 wern't you? A missle will hit those planes at a 90&#176; angle.

Yeah right, not in my world. In here my missiles can't hit them even when they only turn 10&#176;!!! I still don't understand how everyone gets there missiles to hit me so often when mine miss so easily

Better say someone on topic. I have never seen missiles following each flare as it goes, normally (for me) they will veer off at 90&#176; then pick a new target (like a friendly) rather than follow each flare as it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Preston85
              Yeah right, not in my world. In here my missiles can't hit them even when they only turn 10!!! I still don't understand how everyone gets there missiles to hit me so often when mine miss so easily
              A while ago, I got a bit frustrated with my flying prowess here. Then I went on a pubby raid, and noticed that I can shoot them down as easily as I can get sniped by Perry. TG pilots are about 4 to 5 times better than most pubby pilots -don't feel bad. Only advice I can give is just keep on flying. And COing. But not both at the same time.

|TG-2nd|munchkin
              Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Viper
                Dark Vulture?

"Dark Vulture" is, of course, just a generic name, designating a token hypothetical OPFOR pilot. :)

Ah, and yes, I suspected as much about the hitboxes. It does happen in the F-35 or bombers mostly, so that might be it. That leaves the question why the missle still hits, despite all those tasty hot bright flares floating about, but that's another topic.

Munchkin: your offer is more than welcome. It would be nice to be able to test some of these missle dynamics in a "controlled" environment some time.
                <insert signature spam here>

Comment

Originally posted by munchkin
                  Only advice I can give is just keep on flying. And COing. But not both at the same time.
                  Lol, cos that wouldn't make me too much of an easy target!

I'd like to blame the lag I get when flying, quite often my teammate will shout "wow we just bounced off each other" when on my screen we were 50 feet apart. This discrepancy could cause "timeing" problem with firing missiles and them locating the target. On my screen the target could be going straight ahead but by the time I launch the missile he's not where I think he is. Could also explain why I find it so hard to find a leading point when shooting the cannons.

I know lag is the common excuse but if it affects my location (like instantly moving 50 feet lower when reloading hence crashing) then it probably affects accuracy with missiles and cannon.

Yeah, in pubbies I find it very easy, no lag and few skill air to air pilots. I can cannon them, missile them and everything. Ah well, at least I can still bomb and cannon ground targets accuratly.

Comment

Originally posted by Preston85
                    Lol, cos that wouldn't make me too much of an easy target!

I'd like to blame the lag I get when flying, quite often my teammate will shout "wow we just bounced off each other" when on my screen we were 50 feet apart. This discrepancy could cause "timeing" problem with firing missiles and them locating the target. On my screen the target could be going straight ahead but by the time I launch the missile he's not where I think he is. Could also explain why I find it so hard to find a leading point when shooting the cannons.

I know lag is the common excuse but if it affects my location (like instantly moving 50 feet lower when reloading hence crashing) then it probably affects accuracy with missiles and cannon.
                    Hehe, yeah. The only time I get lag on TG is while flying :( , but we still manage to do some damage. The worst bit is if you're flying a bomber with someone as the gunner and you crash and burn horribly. If you say "Wow, sorry about that, I lagged," it sounds a bit like you're an unskillful **** trying to avoid responsibility for crashing.

|TG-2nd|munchkin
                    Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

Originally posted by munchkin
                      A while ago, I got a bit frustrated with my flying prowess here. Then I went on a pubby raid, and noticed that I can shoot them down as easily as I can get sniped by Perry. TG pilots are about 4 to 5 times better than most pubby pilots -don't feel bad. Only advice I can give is just keep on flying. And COing. But not both at the same time.

HAHAHA, well we learn alot from Dark Viper, thats why..... well more or less... At least now I get a few more kick votes against me than before on pubbies after playing on TG which i take as a compliment.

[cross][conduct]
                      Remember: "Eddie Chiang is always cooler than the other side of your pillow."

Comment

The flares provide an IR bloom for the seeker to reacquire. Most real-life IR-only seekers will home in on the largest IR source it can see (bigger, more attractive target). One of the refinements between Redeye and Stinger was the ability for the Stinger to ignore the sun. Stinger POST and Stinger RMP ignore flares because they don't also cause a UV shadow. Aircraft are huge IR sources AND they cause an absence or lessening of UV.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X