Mass coordinated AT fire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mass coordinated AT fire

We've all come across a tank that has an engineer or two sitting behind it repairing it. You throw AT rocket after AT rocket, but it does nothing because it immediatly gets repaired after the AT hit. Why keep having your 1-2 AT guys wasting their lifes firing endless amounts of AT fire at a tank thats obviously indestructible? The only way ive found to combat a tank with multiple engineers repairing it (or armors mutally repairing eachother) is to have 3-4 AT guys spawn and fire at once. Squad leader should find a suitable far away spot for the AT to get into position. SL counts to 3, and all fire at the same time. Its really a thing of beauty to see 4 AT rockets from one position hit one tank and destroy it.

This worked tonight in mashtuur. My squad was attacking the south gas station and was pretty far west at the time. A tank had us pinned from a distance, and our AT guy had no chance at downing him because he apparently had an engy helping him. Everyone spawned AT, and everyone took position. Nobody locked on so as to get the tanks attention, and on the count of 3 all AT rockets fired, and the otherwise invincible tank was destroyed.

The only real disadvantage to this is that your gonna have a lot of AT guys that arent as good against infantry. While everyones AT, its very important for the SL to stay alive as best he can so that respawners can respawn something a lil more appropriate for fighting infantry. Even with that disadvantage, its much better to do this AT trick rather than having one or two ATers wasting shot after shot and having your squad pinned until their infantry come to wipe you out. MA was very good at this. If they rolled into an armor rich flag, everyone was AT. All respawners respawned anti infantry, and just like that they took out all armor and were still able to combat infantry.

Re: Mass coordinated AT fire

Done that before on Sharqi. The MEC chopper was just sitting on top of the TV station killed everybody. I had my whole squad go AT and we all fired at the same time = dead chopper.
    |TG-33rd|Dark_Viper

Comment

Worked like a champ. That tank was killing us. It was sweet to see four rockets at the same time take it out.

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Bubba
        It was sweet to see four rockets at the same time take it out.
        yeah, that was pretty sweet, that...WAIT, that was me in the tank!!

I was an engineer and the magnificent Robocop was in the turret and anytime I took damage I would pop smoke and he would repair. I thought if things became too hairy I would hop out and repair as well, but we never came to that point. Unfortunately, I heard a "moan" and looked up to see Robo had been kicked for a supporting member. I yelled for someone else to take the tank and I would repair, so I was in the middle of repositioning when I saw the rockets coming at me. I'm actually wondering what would have happened if Robo was still there and I was still focused on the enemy on the ridge instead of pulling back the tank for someone else to take over...

I had to leave with 20 minutes left in the round and I don't see an AAR, what's the deal??

Comment

Not locking on is the key to not only this technique but also key to the AT kit as a whole. You can still guide the AT rocket this way as well.
          "Umm Deputy these aren't my pants" - Common alarm cry of the North American Crackhead
          [tg-c1][ma-c1][defense]

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle
            Not locking on is the key to not only this technique but also key to the AT kit as a whole. You can still guide the AT rocket this way as well.
            I presume you mean not zooming in. Even if you are not zoomed in, but you are looking at the target, you will produce a lock tone. The only way not to get a lock tone is to aim away from the target, and guide it in.

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
            |TG-2nd|munchkin
            Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

I've successfully employed this several times, but its not easy.

I seem to have my best results when prone at the bottom of a ramp and the armor is on top firing down. He can't get a bead on you, and you can pop missles up to him. Trying to get top down hits on armor is more efficient with regards to the BF2 engine.

Taking a moving tank at range with this is very difficult, but well worth it when you pull it off...

If you could co-ordinate 3 AT all able to score hits on the top, they would instantly destroy a tank. 2 if you can both hit the tracks.
              Do or do not, there is no try....
              -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

LoL

Santa you only destroyed the tank because i was not there to help him anymore i was kicked out of the game.

LOL
                Silent Engineer

Comment

Yeah Santa that was the best I've seen that move pulled off Santa. He had us pinned there for a few minutes before we all fired at once. I think we were all prone, and all 4 popped up simultaneously and let fly. Wish I got a screenshot of that one.

Knowing that it was Coridon and Robocop manning the tank makes it that much sweeter. :)
                  Beatnik

Comment

Originally posted by Robocop
                    Santa you only destroyed the tank because i was not there to help him anymore i was kicked out of the game.
                    true dat. as soon as i heard your death rattle (being kicked for a SM) i threw the tank in reverse...i think if i'd of seen those rockets coming i could've popped smoke and hidden better with Robocop repairing. but alas, we'll never know!! it was a good run, though...

EDIT: it *was* very impressive to see four rockets coming at me simultaneously. i'm not very familiar with our setup, but battlerecorder wouldn't have been on, would it??
                    Last edited by Coridon; 12-13-2005, 03:20 AM.

Comment

Naa, you guys were rather screwed there.. even if you had survived 3 or 4 shots, the next volley would have gotten you. If you had popped smoke, you couldn't have seen us, but we still saw your nametag and had you spotted, so we could have fired in to the smoke and hit something..
                      Battlefield Admin() ()
                      [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                      [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                      | for | |

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Santa
                        The only real disadvantage to this is that your gonna have a lot of AT guys that arent as good against infantry.
                        3 Letters for ya. D A O ;)
                        At close range, AT are now the best except for CQB noob tubing.

Comment

Yup, you can get away with having a load of AT's in your squad now with the DAO.

Close range - DAO
                          mid range - pistol
                          far range - rocket

A complete package.

p.s. on other server AT is my kit of choice, those bunny hoppers can bounce all they like but they're going to die (spec ops is another fav, c4 below them and BOOM)

Comment

I recall a similar situation on Gulf of Oman where Bommando had a tank with a couple engies near him. We took care of him with a coordinated strike of three or four simultaneous AT rockets.

Comment

its pretty to watch for the AT guy and the enemy tank :)

nothing like being a confident tank driver turn the corner and see 8 rockets from all over come flying at you ;) sweet
                              "The Taoist sage has no ambitions, therefore he can never fail. He who never fails always succeeds. And he who always succeeds is all- powerful." -- Lao Tzu

ingame name: Zuiquan1

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X