Game mechanics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game mechanics

Here at TG, the community seems to draw a sharp line when it comes to exploting the game mechanics (bunny hopping, dolphing diving, stealing ucb assets). Other techniques seem more unclear or are frowned upon (suicide c4 drivers, blackhawk whoring, etc.), but are still accepted by TG's "gentleman's agreement."

What's the general opinion on jumping to increase throw distances? It takes some coordination to get both distance and accuracy on a jumping grenade/C4 toss, but, at the same time, somewhat exploits the mechanics of the game. What's acceptable or not when it comes to using this technique?
    |TG|seppy

[tg-c1][medic]

Re: Game mechanics

Well Javelin throwers "jump" to get more distance...

As long as no one is firing at you then fine, otherwise it could be classed as bunny hopping (avoiding being shot by jumping)
    Last edited by Preston85; 12-14-2005, 07:04 PM.

Comment

I asked this a while ago in another thread and the response I got was that it's fine. I mean, that is what you do in real life to throw further (though I'm not sure you'll be able to do it after the next patch).
      sigpic

Comment

I think as long as its ONE jump to get C4 or grenades farther, its ok. Its not like people in real life cant jump ONCE.

Comment

I know, seriously. I know this guy on the SWAT team here in Seattle; whenever he throws flashbangs he jumps up into the air. More distance that way. Also, for C4? Yeah, he says their demolitions expert hops around when he attaches it to doors. Says it works better that way.

Comment

I'm sure your fictional SWAT friend also fights in wide open area like BF2.

This is a GAME, I understand the principles behind trying to make stuff realistic but it still has to be fun to play. The throwing distance in this game is pathetic, gameplay-wise. If they increased throwing distance and removed jumping while throwing nobody would complain. Without jumping you can only throw a grenade about 10-20 meters... Grenades in this game are meant to be used against people behind cover, far away from you. With the time it takes to throw a grenade if you don't jump, you're better off just keeping your gun out and shooting the guy when he pops out.

Comment

If you can't increase your throw distance with a jump, you might as well just stick with a noobtoob.

Wish you could throw grenades back.
              The Dirty

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyLude
                Wish you could throw grenades back.
                I wish you could cook them.

Comment

Originally posted by Preston85
                  I wish you could cook them.
                  You can cook them. If you hold down the right mouse button and then release it, it will cook the 'nade as long as you hold it down. Double check it, but I'm pretty sure.

As far as jumping and throwing, who does this in real life? Maybe I missed the sarcasm, Bodofooko, but I don't think I've ever seen someone jump to throw farther. Think of an NFL quarterback or a major league outfielder throwing a deep base hit back to home plate. I've never seen them do it. Never done it myself either, but no one ever said I could throw. :icon19:

As far as in the game, I don't think EA should take it away and it should be allowed as a tactic. Its just not that realistic. Not that you couldn't jump and throw something in real life, but would it really help you throw it much farther, as it does in the game? I don't think so. The throwing distances in BF2 are pretty lame. Its as if everyone had the arm of Paris Hilton.

Comment

My problem with grenades is that all you can do is throw them. No lobbing, no rolling, no dropping. I don't know how many times I've wished I could just drop a grenade over a wall and then duck.
                    |TG-1stMIP|Mannerism​​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Skullcrack
                      You can cook them. If you hold down the right mouse button and then release it, it will cook the 'nade as long as you hold it down. Double check it, but I'm pretty sure.
                      Nope, this merely allows you to adjust the "strength" of your throw, as in how far you throw it. Seeing as how you can never throw it farther this way than with a regular toss, it's pretty useless. Except for hitting the button by accident and dropping it at your feet.
                      [squadl]
                      "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Originally posted by SmokingTarpan
                        Nope, this merely allows you to adjust the "strength" of your throw, as in how far you throw it. Seeing as how you can never throw it farther this way than with a regular toss, it's pretty useless. Except for hitting the button by accident and dropping it at your feet.
                        Ok, thanks ST. I guess I figured as long as you're holding it, its cooking. But the handle isn't released until you throw it, so it can't be.

Comment

You can just throw it over a wall and duck...left click is a full strenght throw, right click controls the strenght. There's a little meter under the ammo on the HUD that shows how powerful the throw is. If you want to throw it over a wall next to you just hold right click for like half a second and itll go just over it

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMann
                            My problem with grenades is that all you can do is throw them. No lobbing, no rolling, no dropping. I don't know how many times I've wished I could just drop a grenade over a wall and then duck.
                            That's the right click thing.. The longer you hold it down, the longer your throw will be. If you just tap the mouse button, the grenade will drop at your feet and you'll have plenty of time to get away so you don't take damage. Quite handy when you're up on a building and enemies are right underneath you on the ground.
                            Battlefield Admin() ()
                            [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                            [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                            | for | |

Comment

Boy, you sure can tell who has read the instruction book that comes with the game. I'm also sure the quite helpful, invisible instructor whose voice guides you through the game tells you this too. Stop ignoring him!
                              -33rd- BaneII
                              Smokers & Jokers

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...