Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would this be against the rules, or just frowned upon?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would this be against the rules, or just frowned upon?

My nephew plays on the TG servers. One night he loaded a buggy up with C4 drove it down the road into the path of an on coming tank. He bailed out of the buggy and when the tank drove by he detonated the C4. Destroying the buggy and tank. He was admonished by Sassy that this was "frowned" upon.

Can this be clarifed, since he was not a "suicide" buggy. Often times people put C4 on the flag so what would be the difference?

thanks.
    "If the sword is always sheathed, it will become rusty, the blade will dull, and people will think as much of its owner." —Yamamoto Tsunetomo, Hagakure: The Book of the Samurai

I prefer a challenge and teamwork rather than a stat loading server without sound tactical ideals.

Re: Would this be against the rules, or just frowned upon?

It's not against the rules, but it is frowned upon by some people.

Why is it frowned upon? Well, where do we draw the line? Would loading up the attack chopper with C4, landing it near a tank and blowing it up be OK? It sounds crazy, but really, it's just an extreme example of the same tactic.

I'd say that using it on occasion is no problem. Making a habit out of destroying your team's vehicles instead of using the proper AT kit to take out a tank is not going to endear one to the TG community.
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

From a purely tactical standpoint, it's actually a pretty good use for the USA buggies. Those things have machineguns that only face forwards, so once you've gotten where you're going, taking out a tank is pretty much the best thing you can do with them.

Of course, lots of people view it as not very sporting and stuff like that. I don't care really; it only takes one tank shell or a few well placed machinegun shots to take out either the entire buggy or just the driver. Either way you have to get pretty lucky to take out a good tank driver like that.

Comment

Heck if he can do it and live then more power to him!

Az
        [age-c1][command]

Comment

I tried this once. Loaded up a buggy with C4. Problem is my SL and another guy got in, so i drove to the objective where all got out and at that moment a tank hit the buggy, the c4 exploded, killed the SL and the other guy and i got 2 teamkills.
          Wont try that again :)
          former TacticalGamer European Division

A Tactical Gamer since 2005 (the glorious days of BF2)

Comment

I don't have a problem with that. If it gets you to where you are going and you are destroying the vehicle rather than leaving it there unused, plus you get a few kills, more power to you. What I have a problem with is loading it up with C4 and ramming somebody with it, which I'm seeing more frequently on the server. Is that against the rules or just "frowned upon"?

Comment

I'm actually fond of booby trapping armored fighting vehicles with C4 before I head out. Not so I can hop out and use it as a mobile bomb, but as a trap w/ self destruct if the tank falls into enemy hands (presuming I'm alive). I'll load up a full kit of C4 on some usually ignored spot (under the chassis, or under the back of the turret, or wherever enemies wouldn't think to look). Then, if I'm in a fight, take too much damage (and no engineer around to fix, and therefore no choice but to abandon or die) I'll hop out and leave the vehicle as bait. When the enemy hops in I set the C4 off.

Benifits... prevents stealing of an asset (that can be repaired by enemy forces before friendlies can); allows vehicle to respawn for another friendly's use; kill's enemy; and lets me live to continue fighting (assuming I can escape or kill all my pursuers).

True, I might die in the process if other troops spot me, but it's not meant to be a suicide bomb (cause I'm usually trying to withdraw to safety anyway and touch off the C4 from a distance). At least this way, it's a gamble for the enemy, as they have a choice about whether to take my asset. Even if enemies think it's booby trapped, they have to be cautious, and that takes time, to inspect it. And even if they don't just hop straight in, a thorough check for traps requires a close inspection... I'll still get em if they're nearby.

Comment

Originally posted by Mirfee
                I'm actually fond of booby trapping armored fighting vehicles with C4 before I head out. Not so I can hop out and use it as a mobile bomb, but as a trap w/ self destruct if the tank falls into enemy hands (presuming I'm alive). I'll load up a full kit of C4 on some usually ignored spot (under the chassis, or under the back of the turret, or wherever enemies wouldn't think to look). Then, if I'm in a fight, take too much damage (and no engineer around to fix, and therefore no choice but to abandon or die) I'll hop out and leave the vehicle as bait. When the enemy hops in I set the C4 off.

Benifits... prevents stealing of an asset (that can be repaired by enemy forces before friendlies can); allows vehicle to respawn for another friendly's use; kill's enemy; and lets me live to continue fighting (assuming I can escape or kill all my pursuers).

True, I might die in the process if other troops spot me, but it's not meant to be a suicide bomb (cause I'm usually trying to withdraw to safety anyway and touch off the C4 from a distance). At least this way, it's a gamble for the enemy, as they have a choice about whether to take my asset. Even if enemies think it's booby trapped, they have to be cautious, and that takes time, to inspect it. And even if they don't just hop straight in, a thorough check for traps requires a close inspection... I'll still get em if they're nearby.

I frequently booby-trap vehicles when I am behind enemy lines attempting to cap undefended flags. I figure that grabbing that tank will just make me a huge target so I throw a mine on its back and move to the next flag. What's the first thing that squad does when moving in to retake the flag? They occupy the armor, and immediately explode with no hope of revive. :)

- nex911

Comment

If this were a suicide I would reply with "I don't like this".

As it is not a suicide then I have no problem. I think it's more dangerous to do this than it is to run up and drop a couple c4 packs on it. You're a big target for a main cannon hit, you give your presence away early (sight and sound), and most importantly the tank has time just to back off 10m.

Booby trapping vehicles left on the side of the road is just as legitamate as peppering the flag with c4.

Comment

I agree with Wulfyn. C4 is a lot tougher to spot on a vehicle then on the open ground so leaving a vehicle on the side of the road as an ambush is just like setting up a trap anywhere else, it just happens to be on the front bumper instead of a wall or on a tree.

Comment

I really see it as no different than running up to a tank and placing c4 on it, or placing c4 on the road and waiting for the tank. Putting c4 on a buggy and driving head on into the tank is something different, but bailing out and waiting for the tank to come actually takes some skill.

Comment

Yes i saw a "pilot of some renown" who shall remain nameless use the buggy C4 technique to good effect when we had the Zatar armour fun last week. He managed to take out two tanks at a time with that darned buggy and i only saw him die once when a head on collision prematurely detonated the C4. Although there was much grumbling about the deaths it wasnt considered an unfair tactic. He was using it to attack the column at vulnerable positions such as bridge crossings where visibility was low and firepower could not be brought to bear. I remember thinking it took a good degree of skill to get that close without being immolated by six main gun rounds and thousands of MG bullets. In my opinion it was a good example of the right time and place for a tactic and showed a good degree of sophistication. If these things are sensibly and tactically employed i dont have a problem with them. Luckily that is the benefit of being in such a sensible, self regulated community.

Comment

Putting C4 is also pretty dangerous to yourself since the C4 explodes when the vehicle is destroyed, which means if you get a lock tone or come in front of a tank or any situation where you know your vehicle is going to get destroyed, you have much less of a chance to get away since the c4's blast radius is likely to kill you while you're running away.

Comment

Guess I'm particularly late to the party, but I had no idea til now that C4 cooked off when a vehicle explodes. I thought the stuff was impervious to other explosives (well... in the game envirinment that is).

Makes a lot more sense why the driver-guided-suicide-bomb has been so controversial (and, sadly, effective).

Though, I do like part of this little tidbit... booby-trapping vehicles and letting them get destroyed by fire is pretty slick. Increasing the radius and power of the explosion with C4 is pretty crafty. Hard to employ in a way that actually takes out enemies, I bet... but a good piece of info if the situation ever comes up.

Comment

I nade all my buggies when i get to my snipe points.
                              Long Live the 2nd BCT and 1st MIP

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X