No VOIP - limitations?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No VOIP - limitations?

I have a problem, long story, but on my main machine for BF2 I cannot do VOIP.

So I have never used VOIP in BF2. And my question is, just how restrictive is that? I do know that I tend to play more lone wolf and less squads than I would because I know the squads expect you to have VOIP and I have had more than one squad leader express frustration at me being in their squad without it. I also imagine that being commander is impossible without it.

Does EVERYONE but me use VOIP?

Re: No VOIP - limitations?

TG policy is you at a minimum need to be able to HEAR VOIP from other players. Whether you can SPEAK via VOIP is optional although preferred.

Playing lone wolf will quickly get you kicked/banned.

Comment

generally speecking you shouldnt be doing lone wolf stuff on the servers anyways....as long as you can hear the orders and able to use the simple commands in the T and Q keys things are fine......
      that sounds like a good idea trooper.
      -Vulcan

Comment

Pretty much everyone on the TG server has it, but if it's not possible for you to, it shouldn't be a problem.

The only place you'd run into real trouble is if you're trying to SL or CO.
        A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

i acctually was thinking the same thing.....uncalled for

its not the fact that he doesnt have one its that it doesnt work for some reason, just explain to the SL your situation and it will be fine, they give you any problems or tell you to leave conntact an admin
          that sounds like a good idea trooper.
          -Vulcan

Comment

For a while I couldn't get my mic up and running; it's not crippling or anything, but you can't be a squad leader really. All in all, I'd say a mic is NOT essential. As long as you can hear your squad leader speaking, being a good shot with a gun is a million times more important than being able to say "on your left."

Comment

As long as you can hear your squad leader speaking, being a good shot with a gun is a million times more important than being able to say "on your left."
              Yes-- but once you are able to shoot, having a mic starts to gain importance. When everyone on a squad is communicating well you are much more effective. Without that mic you are limiting your contribution to the squad.

I've been in lots of situations where someone giving that tidbit of information made all the difference in how the squad reacted. When a teammate pulls off a couple rounds and says nothing all you know is that he's fired some rounds. When he pulls off a few and says 'I got 4 targets, left side-- on the catwalk' you know a great deal more.

Is a mic essential for basic play? No. Is it essential to maximize your potential (and your squad's effectiveness)? Absolutely.
              Kornkob

I want to move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Comment

Robo has no mic and hes one of the best players on the server.
                Long Live the 2nd BCT and 1st MIP

Comment

I have a technical issue that prevents me from being able to use a mic right now. I'd love to be able to and hate not having that ability but it's just not a possibility right now until I get a new MB.

I don't SL or CO anyway, and I've been a pretty good squad member (past real life experience helps some, but a lot of people who've never ducked IRL are better than I!) but I just know that I'm missing a lot by not being able to speak online.

Comment

Originally posted by Jusb
                    Robo has no mic and hes one of the best players on the server.
                    Yes-- he is an excellent individual player. That does not change the fact that he's not maximizing his squad's effectiveness.

It would be a mistake to say 'you can't be a great player without a mic'. It would also be a mistake to say 'you don't need a mic to maximize your potential as a squad member'. My statements do not take anything away from people who choose to or a forced to play without a working mic. I am merely stating that the absence of a mic is a limiting factor.
                    Kornkob

Comment

a mic certainly helps, but i do not see a problem so long as the player is a genuine teamplayer, robocop is an excellent example, the best use of the ingame commo ive seen, if you give him an order you get a "roger that" and he does it, ask him if he laid the mines in the road and you get a "no sir" or whatever the awnser is, while a mic does help maximize the squads effectiveness and is a worthy investment, i wouldnt worry about it if your only playing as a squad member.

dont forget evil lemon either, awsome medic and excellent teamplayer, has no mic but it doesnt seem to damage the squads ability at all.

AKA TG Xink | http://www.andy-hook.co.uk

Comment

Yes-- he is an excellent individual player. That does not change the fact that he's not maximizing his squad's effectiveness.
                        Robocop is an excellent TEAM player. I would agree with your statement reguarding new players that are trying to get a feel for what TG is all about. That is a definite disadvantage for a squad. I know, because I had that problem last night. But, if someone who is familiar with TG and can hear the commands from the SL and uses his commo rose like Robocop does, then they ARE maximizing the potiential of the squad just as much as if they were voip capable. I would take guys like Robocop in my squad any day and wish he would sign up with the TG-Irr's. Just my opinion.

Edit: Umbra you'd be welcome in my squad anytime. Although I'm not the best SL, you'd be welcomed anytime
                        sigpic

Comment

I stand corrected-- he is certainly a team player.

And he does use the commo rose well-- however, the one point I would disagree with you is that he has maximized his potential within the squad.

I maintain that a player who operates without a mic is less effective than an equally skilled player who operates with one. The commo rose is limited in what it can communicate and text chat is a poor substitute for voice in terms of immediacy.

It's simply a question of having more effective tools at one's disposal.
                          Kornkob

Comment

Originally posted by kornkobcom
                            Man you are so wrong I dont even know what to tell you. He is one of the best TEAM players at TG. Have you played with him? Have you been his SL? Have you had him and his shotgun watching your back while you move?

Obviously you havent cause you dont know what you're talking about.

Hes one of the great teamplayers as an Engineer and EvilLemon is one of the best Medics. Neither has a mic and neither are lonewolfs.

Both have excellent command of their stock Coms, postioning in a squad set-up and listen to orders better than some people with mics.
                            Long Live the 2nd BCT and 1st MIP

Comment

See previous message.
                              Kornkob

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X