"Two-manning"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Two-manning"

I know it's a bit long, but give it a chance, it may have a couple of things worth reading in all those words :) Also, any tips you could add would be much appreciated.

"Two-manning" buggies is a very effective and very underused tactic. Two-manning a buggy is not simply a buggy with 2 guys in it, but rather it's a coordinated attack platform, and very mobile. It's great for recon, base defense and chewing up choppers. Although not difficult, it is not as easy as it sounds, requiring 2 players being on the exact same page and using a lot of communication.

Basically you you have the main gunner in the F2 spot and the driver swaps back and forth between F1 and F3. Sounds easy right? Well it is easy, but there are a few nuances to master to make it really effective.

The biggest advantage of the two-man buggy is mobility. When not engaging, the buggy must be constantly moving in unpredictable, tight arcs, giving a 360 degree view of the battlefield and making a very difficult target for air attacks. Although the driver functions as a secondary gunner, adding significant firepower, his primary function is driving, and his decision making must reflect that.

The driver's decision making is key to the lethality and survivability of the two-man team. If you are going to stop to use the gun, stop in a position where you either have decent cover, or a quick escape route from incoming air attacks. Also, when you stop, you want to be able to drive both forward and backwards giving yourself more flexibility and the best chance to escape. Keep in mind that you drive faster going forward, so if the only escape route is farther away, point your nose at it. Hills, cover and even cliffs to drive down make perfect escape routes. The driver also shouldn't be afraid of overheating his gun. Obviously he should fire in bursts for the most part, but if you are only planning to stop for a very short time, hold that trigger down, it can kewl off when you drive. There are times when the driver must drive like a madman to stay alive, but a driver must know when NOT to drive like this. It's a tough shot for the main gunner when driving like a psycho. Sometimes it's better to keep moving at an even clip with more gentle arcs so he can hit what he's shooting at. Don't do this for long or if it's too hot, cuz the skill of TG AT's is pretty sick. To maximize decision making, the driver must be very aware of his surrounds, so the driver must change views and keep his head swiveling to find threats. If you need to spot something as driver, use the 1st person view and spot everything you can. Most often as a driver, if you instincts tell you to jump in the drivers seat and go.... do it. Although survivability should be a priority for a driver, a good driver should know when it's not. If that chopper that's been tearin you team to shreds is almost dead, and is lining it's rocket fire up to you, sometimes it's better just to maintain that heavy fire for one or two more seconds, and hope that last rocket doesn't hit you. You start to get a feel for how damaged a chopper is when you're putting fire on it, and with practice, can often tell when that 1 or 2 seconds should do the trick. Don't forget, the function of that mobile buggy isn't simply to kill. If you can keep air assets focused on you and have a pretty good survival rate, that is one air asset that is not killing team mates. This can make the difference in a tight contest for a flag. Always alway always tell your gunner if you're gonna bail.

Although the decision making of the gunner isn't nearly as key as the driver, he's got lots to do. Your job is to spot enemies (especially air assets), kill stuff and keep in constant communication with your driver. Fire in bursts and never overheat your gun... unless that chopper is almost out of range or about to get cover. PUT FIRE ON JETS. So few people do this. I know it's hard to hit them, but the more you practice, the better you get and it doesn't take to many shots from a .50 cal to get those guys smokin. Use the flash of your crosshair. That doesn't just tell you when you hit your target, it shows you how long your bullets take to travel that far. If you think about it this way, your gunning skills will increase dramatically. Fire at everything, spot everything and talk talk talk to the driver.

As I've said, I rarely see this used, and rarely do I get a gunner that's on the same page as me in a buggy, but those who have tried this with me can testify to it's effectiveness. Fast, deadly and a nuisance to air power, this combo can turn the tide of a tight battle. It's a lot of fun too :)

PS
    I've heard a lot of people really criticizing the US buggy lately. Two-manning this baby makes it almost as effective as the other buggies in dealing damage and it's' fast speed increases survivability.

Re: "Two-manning"

good stuff - I've found this to be particularly effective on Zatar... even with the tank mod.

Comment

Heh, I was thinking of Zatar when I wrote it ;)

edit:
      I was thinking of the Reactor Towers on Dalian too.
      Last edited by FPS_Douglas; 01-03-2006, 02:45 PM.

Comment

last time we played the "tank mod", our squad had 5 tanks, and me in a buggy darting all over the place. someone said that i looked a hyper puppy running and jumping around a pack of big old dogs :icon_lol:

back OT though... other than advanced scouting, when would you use this... I guess "distraction" might be a good one, but that's not really 2-manning. Hmm - maybe sniper/SL hunting?

Comment

Oh and I imagine this to be flipping good fun too !!
          --
          I must have some booze. I demand to have some booze.

Comment

I can see a two man squad or maybe a squad of 4 w/2 buggies wreaking havoc behind enemy lines using this tactic. Perhaps they could act as a diversion for larger assaults. They could also scout well or provide rear security, watching all the back flags while the rest of the team concentrates on the front line.
            |TG|Delta_Swift

Comment

id def like to try this out with ya one night doug. Also, best kits to use would prolly be engineer and medic, cuz you KNOW that lil ol buggy will be takin damage and you can just stop somewheres quiet and repair it which doesnt take long at all. And since its quite easy to fire at that thing medic to keep you alive. Would you agree?

Comment

Sure, those 2 classes would be ideal. Usually, when I've done this, it has been a spontaneous thing, a situation where I just happened to have a great, communicative gunner. This has given me a problem because often I'm AT. If someone is gonna be an AT in that group, it's better if they are the gunner, as they can just hop out in good cover and take out any armour/vehhicle you happen upon. A good buggy driver can often keep a tank's attention, which means two good shots to the back/front of the treads will take em out fast.

Great imput mang!

Good stuff Delta. I've never developed the idea past just one buggy, and have always been part of a larger squad defending when I've done it.

Comment

The buggies are great tools. I find driving in a circle to be one of the most useful evasion tactics. It is very difficult for a chopper to hit you with rockets/tv in that case. They usually end up over-flying their target (you). And with tanks, the last thing they expect is for you to turn back at them after you blow by. For this reason, I like to go Spec Ops in the jeep. You can sneak up on armor and give them the bag before they know you are back there.

And on Mashtuur/Sharqi/Karkand, the twin humvee (vodnik) scenario is a dream. two engineers, two humvees + medic gunners can really clean up on that map. Just stay clear of the armor (not hard with all those short streets and alleyways) and those .50s mow down infantry and choppers. A humvee squad on those maps would be an excellent idea. SL should drive . . gunners will get sniped A LOT, and aren't reviveable, but a medic can help heal some. You can kill so many infantry/choppers with that set-up, its worth it.

This, of course, is no longer two-manning. But what the hell.

When you waste the bronze, you gotta do it big!
                  - Johnny the Boy
                  Only the dead have seen the end of war.
                  -Plato

Comment

These tactics are well thought out, but buggies and even vodniks are mobile coffins if you come up against one assault or AT guy.

Doesn't seem like it'd be very effective, dunno.

Comment

Good point, Bhack. Also, a well placed noob-tube can take out a Hummer(edit: you said that already).

I think it's important to keep mobile, make sure engineers are in both vehicles, stay close to one another, and make sure you've left a death letter with a buddy back at base. . . .

These vehicles aren't very survivable, but oh man you can rattle off a ton of kills if the sceanrio is right. . .

I once murdered 17 arabs in a row at the construction site, just me and my .50.

Hummvees work great in certain circumstances, and if you maximize their abilites (speed, heavy heavy firepower against soft targets/choppers, easily repaired) you can hurt the enemy.

I thinks its worth a shot.

I'll be fighting tonight, 6 or 7 pm mountain time. I'll look for/create the humvee squad.

TheRooster1
                      Only the dead have seen the end of war.
                      -Plato

Comment

Originally posted by Bhack
                        These tactics are well thought out, but buggies and even vodniks are mobile coffins if you come up against one assault or AT guy.

Doesn't seem like it'd be very effective, dunno.
                        That is why you keep mobile, makes a hard target and gives a 360 degree view of the battle. Also, that is why you choose the places you stop wisely. If you do not have a high awareness of the battlefield around you, this is not an effective tactic. But you're right, without mastry of the nuances, AT's and assaults will tear you up.

On a side note, I didn't just think this thing up. It sort of worked itself out from general experience over time. Ironically, I think it all sort of came together a while back on Dragon Valley and Oman when my buggy crew had a positive kdr vs. you and another chopper. Since, I've spent a lot of time consciously developing buggy tactics.

Comment

I actually tried this last night. But I was "One-Manning" the buggy trying to switch between the driver's seat and the second gun position. Needless to say it didn't really work out too well as I had a tough time controlling the buggy and the gun at the same time.

I'd definitely like to try it with a second man though.

The buggy is a neat little car, it's fast and highly manueverable. But it doesn't like being shot at too much.

[volun][drill]
                          I'm cannon fodder.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...