Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I find myself....

Disorientated on larger maps.

I do fine on the smaller maps like Striek at Karkland and a couple others. But on the few that I played tonight I was really disorientated.

I didn't know where I needed to go I spent a lot of time seperated from my squad although I did manage to have one guy who continuously tossed smoke grenades in the direction I was supposed to go and he would tell me to follow the 'nades. He was also nice enough on several occasions to wait for me so that I could hop into whatever vehicle he was in.

Does anyone have any tips that I could follow that will help me figure out where to go. With so much action on the map I find that following the orders doesn't help me.

Am I supposed to be looking for some sort of blinking dot on the map as an objective? I know what the solid line means and I usually do pretty good at following it but I found myself lying on my back looking at the sky a lot more than I did last night.

Although I did manage to drive the other team crazy a little with my supressing fire with the M249 SAW but I don't think I actually really managed to kill anyone. Just piss 'em off enough I got chased a lot.

[volun][drill]
    I'm cannon fodder.

Re: I find myself....

Get yourself a microphone... It will be fun. Anyway I think you were in my squad for a bit there. may be not... The better SL will be putting objective stuff on the minimap or some SL s will just verbally explain the things he want.

Keep playing... You will be fine I promise.

Comment

Aren't you new to BF2? Don't worry everyone is disoriented at first...the maps are huge and very detailed but after a few weeks you'll know the maps like everyone else and be fine.

Comment

I still get lost !! LOL

It will get better the more you play the maps.

Like B said if you don't have one yet get a mic, it isn't required but if you get lost you can always give a shout out to the SL or your squad and they will have an easier time getting you straightened out and Un Lost..

It happens to everyone starting out, but here we and your squad will help you out.
        Bill

|TG-33rd|BigBill

Comment

Yes, I am new. I also do have a mic. it's not a very good one but I do have one. I am planning on getting the Creative Pro Gamer headseat nect week.

I played a lot of different maps last night and I spent the majority of the game wandering around trying to find my squad and getting killed. I do pretty well on Strike at Karkland because when I started playing the single player game that's the only map I'd play.

[volun][drill]
          I'm cannon fodder.

Comment

Spawn on the little green dot, or wait until you can spawn on the little green dot. That's your squad leader. Stay nearby and you should spend less time wandering around lost.

Other than that, you'll learn the maps as you play.. Sneaky routes and approaches, good hiding spots, etc.
            Battlefield Admin() ()
            [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
            [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
            | for | |

Comment

Some quick tips.

Look for green dots on your minimap/radar (or on the full map if you want to expand it). Those are your squadmates. If you're close enough, you'll get their name in green on your screen with an arrow pointing to where they are.

Look for waypoints both in-game and on the minimap/full map. The most common are an orange sword (attack), purple shield (defend), and yellow arrow (move). Hopefully your SL will put down waypoints where he wants you to be, or at the very least confirm a CO order that will put down a marker as well.

If you don't have any waypoints/markers, try to find out what flag your squad is going for. Once you know, pull up the full map and look for the flag name, then head in that direction.

As far as getting lost on the way to someplace and not quite knowing your way around, well, it's going to happen. I still get turned around from time to time, especially in a bad fight.
              [squadl]
              "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Originally posted by SmokingTarpan
                Look for green dots on your minimap/radar (or on the full map if you want to expand it). Those are your squadmates. If you're close enough, you'll get their name in green on your screen with an arrow pointing to where they are.
                I would say this is THE tip to help prevent a new player from getting lost. If you don't feel comfortable yet with your minimap, make plenty of use of your main (big) map.

As long as he/she isn't dead (waiting to respawn), you'll always be able to see your Squad Leader on the main map as a green dot with a number in it (the number corresponds to the squad you're in). Always spawn on your Squad Leader, and follow him/her around wherever he/she goes. Soon enough it'll become second nature, and you'll be an asset to your squad.

Also, welcome to TG!

Comment

There's actually a map in the upper right hand corner. This can be set to rotate as you turn or to stay in one orientation; the latter is good for keeping your bearings. Also, hitting Caps Lock will bring up a big map, and that should show you everything in big enough detail to erase any confusion.

Comment

has anyone noticed that the maps we played when we bought the game are somehow..."Diferent"... then they are now, maybe it was because we were new and didnt know the maps and it made it more exciting, now its just...boring :)

keep long your youth in thy BF2 maps, soon though shalt becomith bored with thy surroundings :)
                    "The Taoist sage has no ambitions, therefore he can never fail. He who never fails always succeeds. And he who always succeeds is all- powerful." -- Lao Tzu

ingame name: Zuiquan1

Comment

Originally posted by SmokingTarpan
                      Some quick tips.

Look for waypoints both in-game and on the minimap/full map. The most common are an orange sword (attack), purple shield (defend), and yellow arrow (move). Hopefully your SL will put down waypoints where he wants you to be, or at the very least confirm a CO order that will put down a marker as well.

If you don't have any waypoints/markers, try to find out what flag your squad is going for. Once you know, pull up the full map and look for the flag name, then head in that direction.

As far as getting lost on the way to someplace and not quite knowing your way around, well, it's going to happen. I still get turned around from time to time, especially in a bad fight.
                      So that's what all those extra things mean? I saw the orange sword but I thought it was an arrow pointing me int he direction of where I was supposed to go. So, I wandered over towards it and died. Then I died again. And again. I had no idea what was going on. Same thing with the purple shield I really had no idea what any of that stuff meant. I knew that the solid line was my objective on the map but when I wasn't looking at the line on the minimap I was looking at the icons on teh main screen and couldn't figure them out. So, a good SL will use the different colored smoke canisters as waypoints and all I have to do is follow those to my objectives with my squad?

Thats cool. Now if there was a way to get every SL to use that because I noticed not everyone does.

Now that I had this explained to me it all makes sense.

[volun][drill]
                      I'm cannon fodder.

Comment

While starting out always try to grab a squad with a TG tagged player leading it. More often than not they will be a good squad leader who will explain everything over VOIP and put down waypoints. Dont be afraid to tell them you are new when you join a squad. If they dont realise they may well spew out orders that will make no sense to you "take what route in what to the where?!....

Tell em you are new and they will help you out all they can and if you are unsure ask questions. Youll be up to speed in no time.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X