Stinger

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stinger

I just cannot use this weapon effectively. When I get a "lock" and "tone" on an enemy aircraft and lauch the missile it goes anywhere and does not lock onto the heat signature even when chaff is not deployed. What am I doing wrong? Do I have to hold down a certain key to keep the missile locked on? I have the same problem with any stationary missile system even the one on the carrier.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Alan

Re: Stinger

everyone has this problem......the search im sure can help with your questoins, its always better to look there first
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

I hear this a lot, but I don't seem to have problems targeting with the stingers. The missile is not fire and forget, and will only direct towards the heat source as long as you have good tone.

Since the jets are so fast, they are A) hard to keep lock on; B) hard to hit due to the angle; and C) usually out of range before impact. The helos are more vulnerable because they aren't as fast, but in all cases you have to make sure you play the angles before you fire.

The real and game physics are similar ... a jet traveling at 400 MPH towards you and a missile at 500 MPH towards the jet combines to something pretty fast, and since the missile is locking on to a heat source at the back fo the jet, at best you'll hit the heat signature, but you'll miss the jet.

To be effective with these weapons, you need to fire from a 200 degree arc centered at the back of the jet, where the stinger can chase the heat signature and score a hit.

Because you're dealing with a limited range from your stationary position, it's best to target jets moving across your arc. Don't even bother with a jet coming towards you. If they didn't bomb you to respawn, fire as soon as they're past you, but quick because he's moving fast and will be out of range soon.

Helos are easier because the heat sig is 360 degrees at the top. Plus they're slower and many times the pilot is holding stable for the gunner to do his magic. I tend to lock on ASAP to draw his flares, then fire when they are no longer the target.

My one gripe is the stopping power of the stingers could be better. If I score a hit, which is pretty often, I usually don't get a kill because the damage is too weak. One stinger should take out anything in the air, even a BH, and if this were the case I'd hog the thing. As is, playing air D is pretty boring.

Comment

Thanks for the info Bootstrap. I guess from the perspective of you get a tone, you fire, it is fire and forget because once it's left the launcher you have no further control unlike the AT rocket. I still have problems with this weapon even on helos. I shoot two missiles in quick sucession at a helo (both with good tones and a "shoot" directive) and they both go "wild" by heading off in a totally different direction - they are not even close to heading toward the heat signal.
        Alan

Comment

unfortunatly the turn radious of the missles is very low... even a slow moving blackhawk heading at a right angle to a stinger location will not get hit even without dropping flares (which is even better in a blackhawk because the gunners have free reign to chew the AA site)

I tend to hold my shots until the enemy is heading away from your location (or if its a jet if they have started a turn away from your location)

The main thing I like doing in the stingers is harrass the enemy jets... the lock tends to spook pilots into fast defencive turns ruining their run toward any target... you dont even have to hit them....

in the AA vehicles I tend to shoot all four missles reguardless of if the enemy drops flares.. .flares are not 100% to ward away missles just like missles are not 100% to hit their target... just be sure there are no friendly targets that can spook the missles behind your target....

hope that helps
          "Victory without Honor, is Pointless..."
          "I regret that I only have 1 life per spawn, to give to my team...."

Comment

Try to time your AA. At certain points in a jets patch it's more vulnerable to AA fire. My general rule of thumb is that I like to have the jet's engines pointing towards the launcher when the missiles reach about 25-50 meters from the target. Sometimes that requires leading and sometimes it requires trailing. The problem is that (other then the AA being underpowered) will just give you a better chance of getting a hit.

The bottom line is that it comes down to probability. The more people using AA the better your chances are that someone will get a hit. On that same note firing into a patch of enemy aircraft will give you a better chance of getting a hit. Just don't fire as soon as you get a lock. That will probably not give you a good chance of getting a hit and the missiles will pick up the next most likely target when they miss (regardless of team).

Comment

I hear what everyone is saying and maybe it's just my inexperience. I was playing last night and a jet flew right over me and I had a clear sight of his afterburners when I launched 2 rockets with good tone. They both flew in a completely opposite direction. Maybe I should just stick with the knife :-]

Comment

I for one wish AA placements weren't static, because all the pilots know exactly where the AA placements are. This gives them a huge advantage.

I don't know what it would take to have AA guns appear at 6 or 7 random points, but that would give some dynamics to air defense.

Oh, and increasing the stopping power of Stingers and such would be nice too ala Bootstrap.

Comment

Well, the stingers are quite under-powered however, this not does not mean they are useless. Using 2 LAV's and the stinger launcher makes a great AA defense. Even if the jet bombs the stinger location, the jeeps can harass the jet into retreating.

In the pursuit of... something.

Comment

I've been very surprised latly when I've gone for slow bombing runs to be taken to 50% or less by a lone jeep!!!

dont underestimate the power of those guns on jets...
                    "Victory without Honor, is Pointless..."
                    "I regret that I only have 1 life per spawn, to give to my team...."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X