Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Value oDelayed Orders

I was SL last night for some great fights. Something occurred to me:

My squad was defending a flag. I got orders to take another flag across the map from the CO. We were engaged at our flag, so I wanted to wait before we left. I grabbed a buggy and drove to the other flag BEFORE relaying the orders from the CO.

I arrived at the new flag and hid. I then asked my squad if all was clear back at the defense flag. Thay said it was and I then gave instructions to spawn on me and attack the new flag. In effect, I was able to defend one position AND move our mobile spawn (me) to the new position.

I think there is a lot of tactical value in the SL leaving his squad while they finish one task in order to get ready for the next task. If you own the flag where you are fighting, its a good idea for the SL to take off and prepare the next objective, since his squad can still spawn at the first objective.

In effect, the squad can be in two places at once.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war.
    -Plato

Re: The Value oDelayed Orders

One question and one problem with this tactic.

Question- Does this require your squad to suicide and respawn on you? The way you posted makes it sound that way. That's not very tactical, and costs your team.

Problem- What happens if the attackers neutralize the flag while you're away from your squad? Now you're nowhere near the defense, and your guys can't spawn in a location to retake the flag.
    [squadl]
    "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

True. This tactic should only be used when the SL is reasonably sure his flag is safe. Its true that if the flag is safe, there prob wont be that many people spawning on him. I never recommend suicide. I think its cheap and it does cost a ticket.

But, under certain circumstances, the SL can take off and provide exceptional mobility to his squad by being in a different location. I agree, Tarpan, that this tactic is not good for every circumstance, and most of the time, an SL's place is with his squad.

But, every once in a while, the SL bolting across the map from the rest of his squad can be a valuable tactic.
      -Plato

Comment

If we're in a fire fight and I get a new order from CO, I usually tell him that the situation's hot, and ask if we should resolve it here, or just move out... Usually they say to stay put, but sometimes, they really need you at a more valuable CP and don't mind loosing the one you're currently at...

Comment

The times i've seen this used and it works is when the flag that is being defended is definately being overrun and is of less tactical importance than the flag that the commander tells the squad to attack. The squad members hang back and defend as long as they can, even though it is clear that the flag will be taken, but they distract the incoming force and hopefully burn some of their tickets too. Its easier for the SL to move onto the next objective alone than to try to get everyone in vehicles while the base is being attacked.
          sigpic

Comment

This tactic occurred to me just last night.

We were defending the Warehouse on Dalian. There were 3 of our squads there defending. The CO was desperate for another flag, so he asked me to take main entrance. I said OK verbally, but didn't relay the order to my squad. Instead, I left them there to continue fighting while I took off in a jeep. I got to main entrance and hid. Then I asked my squad to spawn on me, away from the fight, to take the main entrance. It worked like a charm. My squad went from defending to attacking across the map in the time it took to spawn.

Maybe I should I have put that in my first post. . .
            -Plato

Comment

I do the opposite. I go ahead and accept the CO's orders to let him know that it's going to get done, but I tell my squad we're not going to abandon the flag until the present enemies have been dealt with.

Comment

I think the best use of this tactic would be when you KNOW your beat. Let your squad members distract the squads coming in as long as they can, and when they inevitably die your squad leader is in a different position and you can spawn on him.

Its really sweet when you take the flag that the enemy left from to overrun your previous position. This is most evident to me in daquing oilfields at the west oilfield cp and the power plant CP. When your about to be overrun, squad leader can hide in the forest and make his way to the other CP.

Comment

If we're in a fire fight and I get a new order from CO, I usually tell him that the situation's hot, and ask if we should resolve it here, or just move out... Usually they say to stay put, but sometimes, they really need you at a more valuable CP and don't mind loosing the one you're currently at...
                  I want to be in Whiskey's squad :)

I agree with Santa. It's also good on Dalian plant due to tons of buggies. I can see we are going to get overrun by the good lines of visibility. I know we will lose the flag, so no point trying. Get the squad to defend, grab a medic and a buggy if you think you can get away with it, and then manoevre around them. With good timing you'll take the flag they came from soon after they take yours. Effectively the more powerful force has achieved nothing (especially as something like c4 traps and natural defences should ensure you inflict equal deaths as you suffer).

Comment

I wrote an article on another board about how powerful death is in the BF2 system... as people said above death is so strong that its almost cheep enough to kill yourself to span great distances for a new spawn point....

infact at the start of a game I prefer if a few squad members dont spawn straight away, if they wait till squad leader reaches the first flag or they spawn at the first flag captured it will allow your team to use all early avaliable assets....
                    "Victory without Honor, is Pointless..."
                    "I regret that I only have 1 life per spawn, to give to my team...."

Comment

ah yes - delyed spawns. Especially useful on Zatar where there is the mad rush to get a vehicle and you know if your whole squad spawns you'll just be sat at the base drinking tea until a destroyed buggy pops back in. That or get your hiking boots on.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X