Playing Support

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing Support

It seems like the support class is the most under utilized class in the game at times. Played correctly this class can be an invaluable asset to a squad. Here area few guidelines I use when playing the support class.

Combat:
    The Light Machine Gun should be positioned so that there is cover available, yet you have a good field of vision in the prone position. The ideal position to engage the enemy when using the LMG is in narrow streets and alleys where their movement is limited. It is possible to wipe out entire squads it they can be caught moving single file through a narrow alley. Squads tend to bunch together when moving; use this to your advantage. Do not position the LMG so that long range firing is required. The Long Machine Gun (LMG) can be a devastating force at medium and short ranges. It can not be counted on at long range. If the target is at long range then another method of attack should be considered. Position yourself at the front of the combat area to make sure that friendly forces do not move in front of the LMG when it is operating.

When the inevitable enemy contact is made and you choose to open fire with the LMG you must IMMEDIATELY go to the prone position. The accuracy of the LMG in the standing and crouched positions makes it nearly impossible to hit anything unless prone. If the enemy is less than a few meters away then it is possible to hit them from the standing position if you aim for the lower belly and “stitch” up towards the head. Aiming for the head first is a great way to miss entirely. Don’t worry about the LMG overheating in this situation. You will either take the enemy down or die before the gun overheats. At this range they were probably either surprised or coming after you with a knife.

The LMG is most effective when used to maintain a steady rate of fire. Keep an eye on the heat indicator and fire in rapid bursts. This will delay the overheating effect. Do not allow the LMG to overheat. If it overheats then it will not be available when you need it most. If the gun overheats then move behind cover and allow it to cool down, once cooled, you can move begin firing again. In combat the LMG should be firing constantly, it’s job is to move as much lead down range as fast as possible in as short a time as possible.

Communicate that you have engaged a target to your squad leader so that the rest of the squad can be coordinated. An LMG firing on an enemy position can be a sufficient diversion to allow the rest of the squad to perform a flanking maneuver. As always communication is key and make sure to “spot” your targets when possible.

The support player can make an ideal point player. The extra armor that the kit provides allows the player to take a bit more damage than most other kits. It also means that the gun with the highest rate of fire is automatically on the front when a surprise encounter happens. Putting the support player on the front keeps the squad leader near the rear, decreasing the chance that the squad leader is eliminated early in an encounter. The support kit cannot sprint as long as the other kits, so this should be taken into account.

Ammunition:
    The support kit should never run out of ammunition. Reload the LMG once things have calmed down even if there is still ammunition in the weapon. The extra rounds may help in the next encounter and the reload time (between 4 to 6 seconds) makes it undesirable to reload during a combat encounter. Re-supply your self after reloading your weapon. Make sure that all of your team mates do not need ammunition. They should not have to ask for ammunition. You should be giving the squad ammunition during calm times in the game. Make sure that everyone goes into combat fully loaded.

Do not throw ammunition packs on the ground if you are in a position where you don’t want the enemy to know where you are. The ammunition icon is visible once you throw an ammunition pack onto the ground and a curious enemy may want to know why that pack suddenly appeared out of nowhere. If you are trying to keep your location concealed then it is acceptable to throw the ammunition pack onto the player that needs the ammunition. Move up to the player and select the ammunition pack. Throw the ammunition pack as normally but angle it up a bit so that it actually strikes the player you are resupplying. The icon will only be visible for a split second so it is less likely that someone will notice. This is faster than holding the pack out and allowing the player to slowly reload.

It is acceptable to throw ammunition packs on the ground or around the flag when defending a particular area. Keep an ammunition pack near high traffic areas and close to where snipers and anti-tank players are operating.

Be aware of the kits that are in your squad. Stay close to the Anti-Tank and Special Operations kits since they will need ammunition more than any other class. A special forces player that has been tasked with destroying the enemy assets should take a support class player along to resupply their C4 explosives. These two kits can operate autonomously harassing enemy assets and make an ideal job for two person squads.

These are just a few points that I use when playing the support kit. I hope they can be useful to other players wanting to diversify into the support area.

Good Luck and feel free to let me know anything I may have missed.
    Last edited by Wimpinator; 01-11-2006, 01:52 PM.
    Retired 6th DB

Re: Playing support

Good post. +rep.

In the pursuit of... something.

Comment

Excellent support guide. Nice to see another LMG fanatic. :D
      oh, and it's Light Machine Gun, I think. Isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Shafik
        Excellent support guide. Nice to see another LMG fanatic. :D
        oh, and it's Light Machine Gun, I think. Isn't it?
        D'oh you are correct. Maybe I should actually read what I write...

Thanks for the correction.
        Retired 6th DB

Comment

Oddly enough, I supplied pretty much the same exact information a few days ago in another thread and it got torn apart.

Good infor anyway.

[volun][drill]
          I'm cannon fodder.

Comment

Chicken, you told us to use support as covering fire. This guy says he should be point man. Those are two entirely different tactics.

By the way, I agree with the point man stuff. Great post; this is pretty much how I play support. That machinegun is a beast, and as soon as people stop using it like they would in real life (get into medium range and suppress the enemy) and start using it like a videogame (get in close and mow them down), support will stop being the never used class. Engineer will be :D

Comment

Originally posted by TychoCelchuuu
              By the way, I agree with the point man stuff. Great post; this is pretty much how I play support. That machinegun is a beast, and as soon as people stop using it like they would in real life (get into medium range and suppress the enemy) and start using it like a videogame (get in close and mow them down), support will stop being the never used class. Engineer will be :D
              Yep! If the encounter involves long ranges the squad is better off relying on the assault guys with the longer range guns. The Support player should concentrate on closer targets. Antagonizing a contact at long range is a sure way to get picked off early. The spread at long range on the LMG pretty much assures that the assault kits are going to win at long range. The only time you should be firing at long range is when you think that you have sufficient cover to prevent being detected. If they spot you it's over.

For clarification when I am saying that the LMG should be continuously firing I mean that you don't have to fire in short bursts like the assault kits. I usually keep firing into the group of targets even when it looks like they are all down to make sure someone isn't prone behind them. Infinite ammo has it's uses.
              Retired 6th DB

Comment

That's not all I said. And I was using the "supressing fire" as an example of how to allow your squad to move in tight situations. Sure I left out all the "pointman" stuff. When I'm moving I try and stay out in front of my squad, of course it doesn't always happen.

I personally feel I do better fighting from a distance, not a long distance from across the map but from a distance where I can target a few people at a time with it. In my experience playing support I know when I find a good position to fire from and I open that gun up the other team concentrates on shutting me up. Which isn't too hard to do.

When I'm up close and personal I don't do so well for some reason. At anyrate..I'll shut-up now.

[volun][drill]
                I'm cannon fodder.

Comment

I have tried using the support kit a few times only to be frustrated by my inability to hit anything at medium range. Yet it seems like whenever I am engaged by a skilled supportkitter, I suffer serious damage in a short amount of time. Clearly I am not using the weapon correctly.

Am I to aim slightly above or below the target? Or is there some other trick?
                  A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx
                    I have tried using the support kit a few times only to be frustrated by my inability to hit anything at medium range. Yet it seems like whenever I am engaged by a skilled supportkitter, I suffer serious damage in a short amount of time. Clearly I am not using the weapon correctly.

Am I to aim slightly above or below the target? Or is there some other trick?
                    Make sure you aren't aiming for the head. It isn't going to work at medium ranges. Aim for the torso and fire in controlled bursts of a second or two. Be aware of your crosshairs and make sure that you are hitting the target. Lag can greatly affect your accuracy.

The advantage that the LMG has over other guns is volume. Every round is not going to hit so throw out a lot of them.
                    Retired 6th DB

Comment

Originally posted by Wimpinator
                      Make sure you aren't aiming for the head. It isn't going to work at medium ranges. Aim for the torso and fire in controlled bursts of a second or two. Be aware of your crosshairs and make sure that you are hitting the target. Lag can greatly affect your accuracy.

The advantage that the LMG has over other guns is volume. Every round is not going to hit so throw out a lot of them.
                      What about prone enemies? Should I aim low for them as well? Like, into the dirt?
                      A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Good luck hitting a prone enemy @ medium range. It is extremely difficult and probably as much luck as skill. The target profile is just too small and the spread is large enough that just about every round can go around the target without hitting. I will be interested to see how the new patch will affect this.

You may want to start a Single Player game and try using the bots as a practice range.
                        Retired 6th DB

Comment

Pistol might be better for a prone enemy, although I haven't tried it. I may have to try it tonight.

[volun][drill]
                          I'm cannon fodder.

Comment

See now, I disagree with the assumption that 'suppressive fire' doesn't work. I've run into several situations where I've used the support class in a manner I would call 'suppressive fire'. While it doesn't work quite the same as reality--- it is just a game.

I've managed to keep the enemy from trying to peek out a corner while my buddies advanced by putting a pretty constant stream of rounds on the ground just past the corner. Or gotten the guy at the top of the staircase my team is moving toward to back up and stay backed up while my team mounted the stairs. Or gotten the guy who went prone to shoot at someone to stand up and move.

People do notice when bullets are hitting near them (and even occasionally hitting them) and especially when they aren't sure where the shooter is, they tend to back off and try and figure out what's going on. It doesn't work all the time and sometimes it makes the support gunner a target-- but hell-- if you manage to get them to NOT shoot your buddies-- even if they kill you in the process-- then you've done the job.
                            Kornkob

I want to move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Comment

I am not saying that suppressive fire does not work. I am however saying that it doesn't work well at long ranges. The overall accuracy of the weapon simply does not allow you to put enough rounds on target to get the suppression effect. It can work if you are able to put a round or two on target to keep the attention on the support gunner. This is best done at medium range.

I was able to pull what appeared to be a successful suppression maneuver the other night on the Dalian plant map. The score was extremely close (we lost 0-2) and tickets were low. Several targets were crossing the land bridge and I was able to force a couple to move to cover. This situation is rare at best.
                              Retired 6th DB

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X