Tactical use's of C4

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tactical use's of C4

I've been spending alot more time playing Special Forces (both thru choice and thru picking up the dead kits of my victims) and I've come accross some common and some more uncommon C4 tricks that you may wish to consider...

Flag Defence - This is both very easy and very common... C4 packs are rather small and if placed on a wall instead of the open ground they are much harder to see... by spreading out your 5 C4 packs you can completely blanket an area against infantry... depending on how you lay your packs you can also destroy armours (and on occasion low flying helos!) now the main trick to this is if you actually want to score points for flag defence (or you dont want to lose the flag) you either need to watch the flag (I usually detonate it when it reaches half to Quarter mast because by then all the attackers are desperate to get in flag range for their bonus points on ranked servers) in order to do this I find myself a nice nest where I cant actually see the ground, all I need to see is the flag... (locations like the TV station on Shaq. P. are a good example) if your not in a camping mood you have to become a hawk on reading the radar.... set your packs then watch your radar screen for any UAV, Enemy Sighted or lastly any friendly deaths around a flag (you can tell when a friendly dies because their icon turns to face north suddenly and stays there) I've been out attacking sites and still been able to defend locations both thru the Threat of the C4 around the flag and actual detonations... enemys dont tend to want to go into locations that have C4... To combat a C4 defence alot of squad will either bug out the moment they send the flag nutural or they dont send in their medics/squad leader... a manned defence is always better... unmanned is a best option if your not going to have anyone left at the flag...

Flag Offence - this is best to do when your attacking a site either alone or with people who understand what your attempting to do, and also great at locations that have sandbags around the flag... as you rush the location set 3 or four packs around the outside of the sand bags and get yourself inside the protections of the bags... then use your best judgement from Sounds or UAV or visual contacts for when to detonate... because you have the advantage of them not knowing the C4 is there, and their Willingness to want to get close to your location to defend the flag...

Bridge Detonations - This has become my favorate trick... everyone knows with 3 packs of c4 you can destory any bridge marked on your map with the special icon... but heres the way I like to do it... most bridges are wide enough for cars to pass eachother... so when you lay your c4, stand dead still on the bridge and lay 3 packs on the exact same spot on one side of the bridge (that part is important) because what happens next is the fun bit... when a vehicle comes along, if they see C4 spread over the bridge they wont go near it, but because they only see 1 spot with a wide path to pass most drivers mistake the C4 for a single mine and will continue at full speed swerving to the far side of the bridge... but as they get close to the bridge/c4 detonate it, if the 3 packs of c4 does not destroy the vehicle the collision into the damaged bridge and the fall (or the water) below definatly will... and you get the added bonus that the bridge is now cut... my best experience with this was when a loaded APC came to my bridge with a convoy behind it... I had the C4 set on our side of the bridge... the entire convoy stopped after seeing the C4 but he couldn't back up... so after looking around they continued forward.... Boom I got 3 kills from the apc.. and the bridge was now cut.... the tank looked around desperatly but he was an easy target for an anti tank on our team...
    Another bonus of this tactic is you can either leave yourself with 2 packs for furthur damage or you can set the other two packs for extra wide bridges...

Loaded Vehicle - you've seen this done if you have not done it before... if you have a buggy or a fast vehicle you can set some C4 on the very front (I use 3) and then switch your weapon to the C4 trigger and hop in... drive around at break neck speeds looking for reports of armour... then when you see some take the time to go around to their rear and drive your buggy at them... at the last moments jump from your vehicle and run backwards away from it and detonate when your at a safe distance...
    The bonus of this trick is even if the tank or APC kills you your usually close enough that your C4 explodes on its own causing their own demise...
    Now lets assume theres no armour to target... 3 C4 packs is also enough to destroy a bridge... or you can drive your vehicle against enemy commander toys and detonate it... I find tho that you need 3 packs instead of the regular 2 in most situations (so my may need 4 on a bridge) because the C4 is not making direct contact with the target... again with this trick your left with 2 packs to cause furtur damage... Iusually use this when attacking the enemys main base in a covert strike... I'll drive the car against the UAV trailer... then I'll C4 the Radar scan... with the enemy blind I'm free to move out and attack any flag (I sometimes leave the location and hit a different flag because the enemy get the reports that the UAV and radar are down and they expect action at main...
    This is more of a lone wolf tactic tho and I dont see it going to be used much on a server such as TG's... I do however mention it because within the ruleset of the game it is possible to do... just unlikly you'll see it used here...

Rigged Transports - If I'm feeling extra sneeky I'll get to an enemys base and spread some C4 around their unused armours and transports (2 on any armour 1 on a transport) the enemy will NEVER check the vehicles or tanks for C4 but do your best to put the c4 in places on the vehicle that will not be seen (EG- in a vodnick throw it in the open rear of the vehicle to ensure all passengers die) then you can bug out of the location completly and do whatever you want.... keeping an eye on the radar you can see when an unused vehicle becomes used by the enemy because it will disappear (or it was destroyed) just be careful if a friendly desides to take the enemys ride (even tho there was a big symbol of DEATH on it I can testify that I have seen it happen, unlikly on a TG server where the players are generally smarter)
    be calm... count to ten... then press the detonate... not only do you kill the tank/transport thus delaying the enemy, you score 1 or more kills... and you make one tank driver VERY PARANOID as they have no idea how a special forces killed them so quicky with no warning... (they were not paying attention to the RED X that appears on their hud)

Rigged Roads - much like the bridge trick if you set 3 packs on any major road and hang out your will often score kills on drivers and passengers as they swerve to avoid a mine but they dont realise its a C4... if they did they would have stopped... this is the trick I use most on the TG server... its both legitimate and sneeky and it allows you to proceede with your squad while still covering the roadway from a safe distance...

Squad applications - Team up with engineers and anti tankers (and support if you can get em) - for total domination of a location set C4 traps for infantry... mines blocking roads into the site and the anti tanker can hit helos or tanks that sit outside of the mines... use a support or supply crate to keep you all loaded up and your set for life... add more anti tank's into your squad to take out threats faster...

--------------------
    I just thought of another little known fact about C4...

While you can use C4 to destroy an object.... you can actually do EXTRA damage to the commander tool and bridges...

Eg. 3 C4 applied directly will destroy a bridge... but adding another will decimate it... this will mean that when an engineer comes to repair it, they cant just use a wrench on it for a second and get the bridge working again, instead they will have to use about half of their repair stamina just to get it to a working status... same thing goes for the Commander tools... while 2 will destroy the item a quick wrench or supply drop, will get it to a working status again... if you use a 3rd one on it an engineer will have to sit and work on the item for about half of their repair stamina, or you can reload fully from the supply drop intended to repair the asset before it gets to a working status...

So if you can ever get a support guy with your special forces guy attacking the enemys equiptment go ahead and help eachother out and be liberal with the application of the C4 because it will hurt the other team more by making it take alot longer to repair each individual peice... (and the support guy will not mind one bit that he's getting a resupply point on ranked servers)

--------------------------------------
    if you pick up a special forces kit your detonator will work on anything they set. So if you die and you manage to pick up your old kit, anything you had set will still be yours... I often take the kit of a fallen medic to revive them and I instantly tell them where I had set my C4 because they now have my kit

had some really interesting kills picking up an enemys kit and playing russian roulette with their detonator, for all I know their C4 could be on our commander assets or our vehicles...
    "Victory without Honor, is Pointless..."
    "I regret that I only have 1 life per spawn, to give to my team...."

Re: Tactical use's of C4

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to MrPaladin-TPF- again."

good stuff!

only thing I'd add is a link: http://www.secretsofbattlefield.com/c4.php (for completeness - i know this isn't a new link)

Comment

I forgot to add on the note for rigging transports... if you happen accross a blackhawk, place 1 c4 in the middle section of the hawk... when you detonate you will kill every passenger, but it will not destroy the hawk often leaving it to circle the map for several min's while the helo crew waits for its respawn back at the pad...

Comment

Keep in mind that suicide bombing is not considered an acceptable TG tactic.
        |TG-1stMIP|Mannerism​​​​​​​

Comment

great stuff dude - one of these days I'll get my Basic Explosives badge... :)

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMann
            aggreed, thats why I made the note about the heading for a 'loaded vehicle'

"This is more of a lone wolf tactic tho and I dont see it going to be used much on a server such as TG's... I do however mention it because within the ruleset of the game it is possible to do... just unlikly you'll see it used here..."

As for killing yourself in order to take out a tank, I'd like to debate it, as quite often the loss of a lone infantry is nothing compared to the loss of the tank, and if you have a squad backing you up your 80% likly to be revived... If a flag is in danger and theres been no alternative then for me to 'take one for the team' in order to remove the armour and save the flag then I'd do it again and again...

tho I believe the TG rule is just to stop the loaded buggys who have absolutly no intention of saving themselves...
            I'm all for the spirit of the rule

Comment

Originally posted by EyeSeePeeDude
              great stuff dude - one of these days I'll get my Basic Explosives badge... :)

funny enough I earned both my basic explosives by being a sniper and being offencive with a squad who was aware of my claymore placements...

Comment

I gotta think that a sniper's claymores in defense of a flag could be pretty brutal, although I've never actually seen it. Especially on the TG servers with squads working in such close proximity to one another the way squads swarm the flag points in coordinated assualts.

hmmm.....
                Kornkob

I want to move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Comment

One tactic I've seen used effectively is to place C4 on your own armor. Once you are engaed in a base assault and have taken substantial damage, bail and try to hide. Inevitably someone from the other team will hop right in hoping to comandeer your damaged vehicle hoping to kill the fleeing driver. But once they are in just push the button. This prevents you from having to die with the armor so the other team doesn't steal it.
                  sigpic

Comment

Another tip on C4 placing on wheeled vehicles. Put them on the tires. This makes for a nice decoration until they just disappear from vew.
                    --
                    VI VI VI - the number of the beast

Comment

Crawling under a tank does miracles too :) If we can remove C4 in 1.2, it would add even more tactic to it

BF2 Name: Thez(NL)
                      BF2142 Names:
                      Thierry(NL) (Sniper)
                      Dikkiedik(NL) (Assault)
                      Kittekat(NL) (Engineer)
                      Dimi(NL) (Support)

Comment

yer alot of these tactics will need to be revised once the C4 can be removed...

theres a few places on vehicles that the C4 will just disappear...

ohh and for a real surprise in the air try placing 1 c4 on the rear of an enemy jet... after they launch count to 30 and boom... they wont know what hit em

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMann
                          As a tanker, I can say that this happens EVERY time I play on TG - I dont report it as I am no whiney limey but it sure wracks me off :(
                          --
                          I must have some booze. I demand to have some booze.

Comment

A really nice guide Paladin. Something useful both for beginners and experts :)
                            As you point out, the C4 does not need to be put in the center of a road where it most likely will be spotted. One on each side of a road will destroy a passing tank. I've had some good kills in flagzones when putting C4 on walls and on crates. I don't think stressed soldiers ever look at the walls around a flag ;)
                            My little tip: The C4 wont for some reason show if put on the flagpost near the ground. May be considered as an exploit on TG servers, but blowing up a squad on public servers is also fun :)
                            "That is not an ordinary rabbit ... 'tis the most foul cruel and bad-tempered thing you ever set eyes on ... that rabbit's got a vicious streak. It's a killer"

Comment

Rigged Transports - If I'm feeling extra sneeky I'll get to an enemys base and spread some C4 around their unused armours and transports (2 on any armour 1 on a transport) the enemy will NEVER check the vehicles or tanks for C4 but do your best to put the c4 in places on the vehicle that will not be seen (EG- in a vodnick throw it in the open rear of the vehicle to ensure all passengers die) then you can bug out of the location completly and do whatever you want....
                              New members to TG should realise that there are restrictions which means you cannot C4 or mine enemy vehicles in a UCB though. Most people will take that as read but those just finding this forum may need the clarification. All in all a nice guide.

Oh and whats up with your avatar marco? It makes me feel as though im having a siezure.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X