I'm a commander.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm a commander.....

So, I've played commander a few times now. The first time I played I had no idea what I was doing but the past few times I've taken the seat I personally feel that I've gotten better. Although, I do admit, I sometimes have problems seeing the maps especially if there is a lot of green and brown and red (I'm color blind and the green/red hues I can't see too well especially when their is a lot of action). And sometimes I have problems figuring out which squad does what.

But, I'd like some feedback from those who have played along side of me while I've commanded and possibly get some pointers on what I'm doing wrong and how to improve and the things I've done correctly.

I'm open to all types of criticizms (sp?) good or bad.

[volun][drill]
    I'm cannon fodder.

Re: I'm a commander.....

I've only played infantry when you were commanding the enemy, and it you did well. I noticed you were getting plenty of arty kills, which is important.

The most important thing to remember when commanding, in my opinion, is to always have a plan. You have to know what you want to do. Decide which flags are important, and which are not. On Karkand, for example, a good strategy is what's called a fighting retreat. Meaning you hold all flags, but retreat when the front ones are taken, because you still maintain the bleed. You decide on an Alamo, such as the Train Accident. No retreating past this point, etc.

Make sure you have some sort of COMM with your Squad Leaders. Even if you speak and they answer with the Como Rose. Make sure to tell your air squads where you want them. If a squad calls for air support, make sure your guys in the air get the message and head over there.

Don't throw arty strikes around. Even if you a see a full squad moving towards a flag. Before you put down arty, check if there's a squad at that flag reay to defend, or if armor can intercept, or a jet/chopper/. Thing is, once you set that arty down, usually you'll get a request for arty on the other side of map, where an attacking squad is pinned down. This of course, depends on who the squads are, and if they are willing to work with their CO. Make sure to scan flags being defended by one of your squads. Even if it's far from the main line. Every minute or so, tell them "Squad 3, your flag is clear". This helps a lot, and can help them avoid surprise flanking attempts.

These don't really pertain to you personally, but I do think then when following simple guidelines, and remembering what you're actually supposed to do, you can do no wrong.

PS. Try to to speak to each squad individually. Use V the majority of your forces are at a last stand off, or if there's something going on that all squads should know (CO toys gone, for example). I just like to know that whenever I hear the CO's voice, my squad he's talking to. Your first message, after radio check, could also be via the V key: "Ok Ladies, we're attacking. Squad 1 take Entrance, Squad 3 take north route to Alley, 7 - flyby the Entrance and cover, 4 takes poition south of Surveillance. Copy?" or something along those lines, just so everyone is on the same page.

Comment

I disagree on one point: arty. If a CO has scan, arty or a UAV ready and it isn't being deployed then IMO, the CO is not making best use of his tools. Because of the scan the CO has a better idea what's going on out there-- where the sniper squads are camping, where the enemy is massing.

As much as a squad might think they need the arty where they are, the CO should have a better idea where the team needs the arty.
      Kornkob

I want to move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Comment

Of course, CO has a much bigger picture. I nver said not to lay down scans or UAV's constantly. Those load up fast and can cover each other. Arty is another thing. Once you place it, you have a pretty long time without it. Plus, most of the ttimes the squad requesting arty is there cause the CO sent it there, so he should know they're gonna need it anyway. Let's say US holds majority of Mashtuur. Main battle is at the mosque and Backyard. CO sees a full MEC squad flanking far north towards Hill. There's no defending squad there. Should he send arty? It relies heavily on other matters, of course, but thourgh my limited experience I've found it's better to save your arty for when a squad asks for it.

Comment

Thanks. I try and keep the scans going almost constantly, as one ends I'm ready for the next one. I try and save the UAVs and Arty strikes for when they are needed, last night was an exception, I saw a perfect opportunity to drop some arty on their CO and did so, to my benefit it left them blind for a few minutes.

I generally only drop the arty on positions being overrun. I try to take and hold the flags closest to the starting point and then move inward. Last night for example at Dahlian I attempted to take the first 3 flags on the beack. But I was told that the middle two were more important so I then changed to taking those two flags. I noticed with those two flags the others were pretty easy to take.

I don't like when squads group together. I feel that they are vulnerable that way, so I try and spread them out across the map sending each squad to a different flag. Although sometimes that is difficult especially if you have a squad with one guy in it. Which I think when I see that I'm going to ask them to hook up with a squad that can fit an extra man. I also attempt to use the air support to help squads out in trouble but most times they usually ask for new orders.

Another thing I try to do is keep supplies on spots where my squads are having a tough time. For example a few nights ago (thursday) squad 3 was at a flag for the entire game because they were constantly under attack. So, every few minutes I'd drop supplies even if they didn't need it just in case. I'm sure they had 5 or 6 crates just sitting there. But generally my plan is to take and hold as many flags as possible. I try not to send squads away from flags they have captured unless I see on the scan that none of the other flags have any activity and even then I try to keep them as close to the original flag they took just in case it gets overrun while they are moving to the next one. I'm sure a lot of them are like "WTF?" when I'm like, "Attack this position." then I see that the flag they just left is being taken again and I change my order back.

Overall I like CO'ing more than ground pounding. I dunno why I just like having the ability to direct squads and watching the outcome. I think when I CO I have a pretty good handle on it, though I do admit, I have trouble figuring out which flags are best to take which is why I tend to listen to my squads when they tell me they can't do something, I've had good experiences with guys refusing an order then telling me why; it's usually because they are having problems and feel that defending is better and it usually works out.

Thanks for the support and keep the ways I can improve coming.

Is it V key that talks to one squad or is that B? I can never figure it out.

[volun][drill]
          I'm cannon fodder.

Comment

When in the CO screen, press the keyboard number of the squad you want to talk to and press b. 3 for squad 3. Press and hold CTRL followed by multiple numbers to select multiple squads, and use b to t talk to them. V is for all. Another thing to do is remember which flag holds what. For example, I think it's important for USMC to take Old City on Daqing because of the major armor that spawns there, even though it's a hard flag to take. Dont send in 2 squads to take flag that spawns a buggy and two RHIB's.

Comment

Originally posted by Shafik
              When in the CO screen, press the keyboard number of the squad you want to talk to and press b. 3 for squad 3. Press and hold CTRL followed by multiple numbers to select multiple squads, and use b to t talk to them. V is for all. Another thing to do is remember which flag holds what. For example, I think it's important for USMC to take Old City on Daqing because of the major armor that spawns there, even though it's a hard flag to take. Dont send in 2 squads to take flag that spawns a buggy and two RHIB's.
              Thanks.

Is there an easy way for me to know what flag has what? I mean the airfields are pretty easy to tell because you can see the strip from the zoomed out view but a lot of the other flags it's hard to tell without being zoomed in. I think that is where a lot of my flag taking problems stem from is not knowing from experience what flag has what.

[volun][drill]
              I'm cannon fodder.

Comment

Originally posted by Shafik
                It relies heavily on other matters, of course, but thourgh my limited experience I've found it's better to save your arty for when a squad asks for it.
                In the past couple weeks I've been CO fairly often (usually because no one else applies) and I've rarely had to deny someone's request for arty. On the other hand, the number of times I've granted a request for arty and only gotten team kills.........

I fire arty every single time it is available. If I don't have any requests or places where it is going to make an immediate tactical difference in the state of a flag I'll look for those stationary guys on the edge of the map or a clump of armor or a dense pack of infantry---- but when I CO all the tools get used as often as they are available.

The most common thing I've found I have to deny a SL: supplies. I don't know what it is but it seems like every time I drop supplies just to be dropping supplies some SL asks me for them. I've started to refrain from dropping crates as frequently as a result.
                Kornkob

I want to move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Comment

I've never had a problem with using arty. I generally save it for when it's needed like on flags that are being overrun. I've dropped arty on my own squads that were having problems and I've never had one complain that I killed any of my men. They are usually fairly good at moving when they hear the, "Artillery has been deployed." announcement. That's not to say I haven't ever killed any of my men but I'm sure I haven't wiped an entire squad out with it. I usually runa scan just before I drop the artillery so I can position it to where it's going to hit more red than green or blue.

That's the biggest key I feel. The scan button is by far the most important thing you can do, it gives you an idea of enemy position in relation to your men. I run more scans than I drop supplies or artillery. Hell I use it more than I do UAV's. I think in the 3 or 4 times I've CO'd I've had maybe one squad actually request a UAV.

I drop a lot of supplies and do a lot of scans. But I only drop the supplies where I feel they need them. And again, before I drop the supplies I do a scan to see where the best possible location to drop them is, you don't want to drop it between your squad and the enemy because it's goin to be destroyed. You don't want to drop it too far behind them so they can't reach it quickly. I tend to drop it almost on top of the SL if I can. or just behind the squad this way they can utilyze it without leaving combat. And a lot of times I'll drop a supply crate on a flag that has just been taken this way they can stock up before moving to the next objective.

[volun][drill]
                  I'm cannon fodder.

Comment

I greatly enjoy being commander on TG servers because you get a level of communication with your squad leaders that you jsut dont get on other servers...

The way I like to handle things is to communicate as much as possible to squad leaders without choking the comms...

EG...
                    at the start of the game I let them know the overall plan (this is to also show that i Have an overall plan) then as the ball gets rolling I will assign orders to squads who might be straying from the plan...
                    to save time, when supplys or artilelry are avaliable (and I dont have any fantastic targets for them) I'll let all squad leaders know that they are avaliable and I'll often get directed to a target that I thought was meaningless, but had been giving my soldiers trouble...
                    I really like when squad leaders make requests, even if I have to deny them it lets me know where the need is and I do my best with what i have...
                    EG, a squad requests UAV, but the UAV is already helping another squad, I will zoom in and spot individual targets like a proxy UAV...

Thats just my style...
                    Also I have been commonly known to defend a flag with C4, or jump in an unused transport to help capture an undefended enemy flag... but #1 priority is assisting the troops in a command roll..
                    "Victory without Honor, is Pointless..."
                    "I regret that I only have 1 life per spawn, to give to my team...."

Comment

Thanks, I'm going to have to try that. I'm actually about to hop on as soon as I'm done updating my GPS software and my GPS unit itself.

[volun][drill]
                      I'm cannon fodder.

Comment

NEVER accept an arty from a squad leader. I too only get teamkills from it, and a lot of the time the squad asks for arty on one single infantry unit. Always do a scan before an arty to see where the best place is, and to see if the squad that requested arty is on crack or not.

As someone else said the most important thing is to have a plan. If you are just attacking any ol flag, with no real reason, you will probably lose. Know what flags are worth having and not having. Ask yourself questions like, "Does this CP spawn anything of value?", "Is this base good to launch attacks from", or "Will a defending squad be torn up here?". These questions, i think, are easier to answer if you squad lead often. Reason being that if you SL you notice which bases are easy to defend, which are hard, and which spawn anything of significant value. Also, if you SL a lot, youll know better how to talk to a CO and what a SL expects from a CO, and vice versa.

Another thing that ties in with having a plan is to know what the bleed factor is in the specific map. How many flags do you need until your bleeding the enemy? Which arrangment of flags will give you bleed but also be easily defensible? Generally, i go for bleed, and then STOP attacking. Hold what you have, and bleed them. There is generally no reason to attack if you are bleeding the enemy. If however, you see the enemy moving out of a base on a scan, by all means send another squad in to take the flag they left. If, and only if, you can get another flag for assurance when you are bleeding the enemy and NOT lose one of your flags, then go ahead and do it.

Last thing i can think of is be communicative with your squads. Dont just give them an attack order without saying anything. Tell the squad leader why they are doing what theyre doing. This way he knows what you are trying to do as a CO, and if the oppurtunity comes up he can take initiative and change the plan slightly but still achieve the bigger goal. Also, tell the squad leader if he has any other squads helping in the attack or defense, if he has arty/uav/air support, and where the best avenue of attack would be based on your last scan. Every little bit of information you give a SL can come in handy for him.

Anyway, i dont remember ever being under your command. These were just general things to keep in mind.

Comment

Santa, no, you've never been under my command. However, you have killed me a lot before. :)

Tonight I didn't do so well with COing. We (USMC) were at the oil fields getting our asses handed to us. I tried to take several flags early on in the game and hold them but failed. The only one I did manage to take and hold was the west oil field. I had pretty decent communication with squad 7 who would take out their assets.

A few times I had to go out and repair some of our own assets because they would get destroyed.

I just don't know what flags are worth taking yet, especially not on that map. The majority of the squads tonight had a better idea than I did so they ended up taking which flags were better and I'd just provide them with UAVs, Arty and supplies.

[volun][drill]
                          I'm cannon fodder.

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Santa
                            NEVER accept an arty from a squad leader..
                            Hmm I think this is odd advice. I regularly ask for arty, when I can really use it. Sometimes there will be an enemy that is giving my squad alot of trouble, and we cannot take him out because he is in a superior fighting position. If this enemy is also squadleader, than he is a high value target. If I then request arty on him instead of the rest of his squad, i wouldn't be pleased at all to see arty drop on him. Now if I am sl and santa is co, I will remember to say why I need an arty somewhere when I request some, to resolve this issue.

Also, on some maps like Zatar, the arty 's aim is off, it falls a good end east (i think) of where the commander puts it. On these maps, accepting an arty request can greatly improve the accuracy of the arty.

On a side note, i would strongly advise against not accepting supplie requests. This is very important I think. When I request a supplie drop, I will ask It exactly where I need it, and i will adjust for wind (always north wind, about 1 to 2 meters) This might be on top of the roof I am on, or in a spot that is hidden from the enemy, away from where enemy arty will strike, and somwhere the squad can reach. I really hate it when a commander then drops those supplies next to the roof or in front of the enemy.
                            But I must add that this doesn't happen to me alot on the TG servers

Comment

You have to zoom in on a location and decide where to place the Supply Crate, the Artillery, because sometimes it will be placed in weird places accidentally by the SL. If you accept a Supply Drop and it drops onto a roof, the CO is to blame for putting it out of reach. Same thing with artillery. Zoom in, figure out if the enemy is on the move, or if their fire line is stable and adjust if need be.

When you get the gliche where your drops are off by 100 feet, drive the mouse in a circle around the screen before placing it Apart from that, all you can to is reload the game to correct for that gliche.

Lucky Shot

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X