Taking out a tank

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking out a tank

There are several ways of taking out a tank I'll discuss how you can take 'm out from the ground.

There are several ways to get a tank down, they are basicly devided into groups:

AT infantry
    TOW's
    C4
    Mines
    Tank/APC
    Arty

AT infantry:

Taking out a tank as AT does take some skill, as your missile leaves a huge smoke trail.
    First off, it takes 3 shots directly in the side or rear to destroy a tank, 2 shots on the front or rear of the tracks will get the tank too.

With AT missiles being guidable you can take out tanks at long ranges, though a tank will get a lock tone and dodge or pop smoke, the best range are medium to short range.
    The tank will only get a lock tone if you use the zoom on the AT missile, if you simply fire it without zooming or guiding, the tank will NOT get a lock tone. Firing without the zoom is easy itself, you fire it like any other weapon, like the Bazooka from BF1942, so at short range simply aim at the tank and fire away.

To stay alive you must never stay in the same spot twice unless you are high up a building, you will get killed if you stay as the guy in the tank will not only know where the missiles probably came from, he will also know where it did NOT come from and will thus not look there a second time.
    Fire your missile and run for cover!

Should you find yourself low on missiles, aim for the tracks or the rear as it does the most damage, even without missiles the tank will still get a constant lock tone if you keep the zoom on the tank, which is distraction enough already and might let your teammate C4 the armor.

Getting a tank from atop a building or crane is by far the safest, as long as the tank isnt too far away, the further away that tank is, the higher it can fire.

TOW's:

TOW's are the most powerfull ground missiles available to you, they CAN take out a tank in one shot if you aim directly at the tracks, but you are horribly in the open and a sitting duck, you will never get a second shot. None the less, a TOW does double the damage of any given AT missile and can still do a lot of damage. You can however guide the TOW more sharply then an AT missile and far longer, but since most TOW's are placed between buildings this is effectively useless.
    A TOW, even if it doesnt kill that tank straight away it will damage it severly and if you are AT you can probably still fire at least 1 AT missile to follow up on the TOW, which ,8 out of 10 times, is all you need.

C4:

C4 has very good points and very bad, the good are that it kills any tank no matter the situation if you lay 2 packs on it, no matter where on the tank, the it will blow, if the tank is smoking only 1 pack is needed. 1 pack does around 60%-70% damage to a tank so 2 packs will easily do it. The bad side is that the C4 is effectively melee range, so you have to run up to the damn thing to be of any good use.

There are some very simple but effective tricks to getting C4 on a tank:

1: Always have at least have a run-bar half-full, you'll need it!
    2: Wait for the turret of the tank to face the opposite direction you are at, or wait for the turret to be between something and you (a car or even a tree between you and the barrel).
    3: When you get near to 5m of the tank, go prone! They NEVER!!! know you are there so consider this your safe haven from the tank, you are however a sitting duck to anything else.
    4: When you are prone, place 2 C4 packs and look around you, if you see an enemy, shoot him down if possible and look for the closest cover. When you find your cover spot, wait till you see the back of the turret (never ever go if the barrel is above you!), then you can stand up and run like hell, wait around 3 seconds and hit the detonator. Dont wait to short, you'll blow yourself otherwise.(your run bar goes full during all this)
    5: Especially if there is an APC next to a tank, you can use one vehicle to shield you from the other. The APC might see you, but the tank will be in the way and that tank wont know you are there, place C4 on the tank and try to maneuver around the tank in such a way that the APC cant shoot you and the tank wont see you. (if the APC is moving backwards, move over to the front of tank etc..)

There is also a 'safe range' when it comes to the turret, if you can touch the side of the tank you will actually be within the range of both the machinegun and the turret and the bullets and the shell wont hit you, they will fall behind you. 9 out of 10 times when this happens the driver has seen you, see that you havent died and that you got C4, he will then either drive away (so you can detonate the C4 :) ) or he will get out. (when that happens...GET IN!!!)

Mines:

Mines have 2 huge advantages over C4, the first is that you only need one, the other is that you dont have to blow them yourselves. Downside is that you cant blow them yourself as well though so they have to run over it instead.
    When it comes to placing mines on a tank, following the above C4 tips to get you there, they work the same.
    Mines can be placed on a tank, but might fall off so be careful as they also tend to TK.
    Mines can be detonated by grenades in 1.12, so if you have layed a mine on a tank but the tank wont move, lay a grenade before you run like hell.
    Best spot for a mine is under the tank.

Tank/APC:

First off...it is very possible to easily own a tank with an APC, I have done it many times and one of the best maps for this is on the beach flags on Oman.
    If you are in an APC and you see a tank that is heading for the entrance to your flag, make sure you got an escape route first and an route that will lead to the back of the entrance from which the tank is coming second. Make sure you are facing the tank head on when it comes in for the first time. When it comes, fire your side missile at the tracks and just before you do, pop the smoke!

Should you get damaged, you can always take your escape route. If you are fine, take the attack route that leads to the back of the entrance, the tank will not be able to see where you are going if you go fast enough. By the time you get to the tank the Missile will have reloaded and you can fire it up the tank's ass, and APC shots in the ass and tracks deal damage too!

So...pop the smoke, fire your missile, move quickly to the attack route while the smoke is up and maneuver around the back of the tank and finish him off. Remember, you are far, far more mobile in that APC, so use it! You can also cross small rivers, so if you see a small but steep cliff that goes into a river, GO in that river, the tank might follow or lose you.

Tanks taking out tanks is the easiest and the hardest way to take out a tank at the same time.
    The easy part is that you wont die so quickly, downside is however that the enemy tank is in the same position.
    You can take out a tank in a single shot by bouncing the shell, there is a topic in this forum about it, go find it if you are interested.
    However, a bounce shot is very very tricky, the better way is to aim for the tracks, 2 shots there and you win.
    Staying mobile is very important, if you dont move you are a sitting duck and your tracks will be target practice, so keep moving! Use smoke when going around corners to quickly do a 180 and get a shot on the front of the tracks, smoke can mean the difference between life and death here!

Also, should you be in very close range combat (tanks ramming each other), fire a shot, pop smoke and drive back, the other tank might still be in the smoke, often giving you at least 1 clear shot advantage.

Whenever possible, aim for the tracks or the rear, firing at the front wont do much good.
    The tank shell is a very precise weapon, excellent at long ranges, firing a shell at a distant tank, move back to cover, reload and repeat. Shells do drop a little at long ranges so take that into account.

If you suddenly find yourself shot (you suddenly hear BANG!!!) pop smoke and head for the nearest building or hill to hide behind. If you didnt see the shell or the blast wave from the tank firing the shot, that means that the enemy is either on your side or behind you, not in front!
    If you are in a narrow alley or the hotel street on karkand the shot will almost always come from the rear (if its a tank, its tank vs tank here remember?) so do the following if you are finding yourself being followed in the rear in a street.

First off, pop smoke! This is the most important thing as the enemy tank will often by quite a distance behind you. Then move as much left or right as possible without getting to close to the building, if you are on the right side of the road and got hit, pop smoke and move left, and vice versa for left-right. This can help as the tank cant see you, but will still fire at your last position he saw you through the smoke, so he might miss. All this should be done in a few seconds, pop smoke and move left or right.

Then turn around so your front armor is protecting you. You might say why not turn straight away after the smoke? Well this is because by the time you popped the smoke and moved a bit away, the other tank will have reloaded. If you then turn on the spot he will either hit you in the rear again or in the side and then you lose.

Should you be able to move up a corner (like on karkand where you can go left just after the hotel) you should take this road (be careful though if you were already on the left side as he might hit you in the side while turning), but also keep in mind that the enemy tank might have taken the corner earlier on to get behind you, last thing you want is that the enemy tank is facing >>> that way and you are going ^ that way...you'll be dead then.

Back to turning 180...now that you have turned you have your vulnerable rear protected, the only weak spot is the front of the tracks, trying swinging just a little left and right to make it difficult to aim at for the enemy tank. Then....go for the tank that shot you! Trust me when I say he wont expect it, he expects you to be confused and turning circles, not coming at you with the front end. (by this time the smoke will have lifted)
    Often 2 things will happen when you start your attack run:

1: The tank that shot you is still there, with his front facing your front (waiting for the smoke to lift).
    If this happens, your prime target must be his tracks! You must always fire the first shot in this head-on fight or you're dead. Spot his tracks and fire at them, he will then (totally confused and thinking wtf??) just fire at you, I highly doubt he will then aim for your tracks straight away (remember, he thinks your are practicly dead already from firing through the smoke). So then you have gotten 1 hit in the rear at the first encounter and 1 front armor shot (not enough to catch fire) and if you aimed right, he will have 1 hit to his tracks. This sets it up as following:
    You: around 30% left
    Him: around 40% left

However, if you fired the first shot, you will also be able to fire the second shot first, aim for the tracks again and you win! Miss and you might end up dead. Should the enemy tank again hit your front, you will catch fire, but often you will burn long enough to allow you to fire a third shot before you go.

Ok that was a bit long about being chased down the alley but hey...thats a tip now aint it?

Arty:

Arty is not known for doing this, but a direct hit will kill a tank, so if you see a flag that is being capped by a tank, warn your squad leaders and arty that flag, also...an arty distracts a tank alot, allowing your squads to C4 or AT that tank.

Remember to stay mobile at all times, staying on the spot will get you killed, both in a tank as outside a tank.

Hopes this helps you guys.

BF2 Name: Thez(NL)
    BF2142 Names:
    Thierry(NL) (Sniper)
    Dikkiedik(NL) (Assault)
    Kittekat(NL) (Engineer)
    Dimi(NL) (Support)

Re: Taking out a tank

Yep, I remember being in games telling teammates that 'its a tank not a god, kill it'

dalso dont forget that while grenades and greande launchers dont do great deals of damage to a tank, its enough to make a tank wary of the situation its in, if a tank ever takes damage from an unknown location it will often retreat... so keep yourself unspotted and harrass the tank if you can, it will allow your tank killers more opportunity also...

PS, dont throw nades at a tank that your Spec Forces guy is trying to get close to :)
    "Victory without Honor, is Pointless..."
    "I regret that I only have 1 life per spawn, to give to my team...."

Comment

great writeup! one addition: you can also guide the AT missile when not zoomed in.
      former TacticalGamer European Division

A Tactical Gamer since 2005 (the glorious days of BF2)

Comment

True but since you rarely use it outside close range it aint really used :)

BF2142 Names:
        Thierry(NL) (Sniper)
        Dikkiedik(NL) (Assault)
        Kittekat(NL) (Engineer)
        Dimi(NL) (Support)

Comment

Nice summary. I've been playing more spec ops lately and have enjoyed the C4 work, but didn't know about the prone trick so thanks.

One note on arty: remember that the arty never falls exactly on the called spot, it falls on a ring around the outside. When spotting on a stationary tank, put the spot a bit to one side for best results.

Comment

Very indepth. Nice writeup.

[volun][drill]
            I'm cannon fodder.

Comment

AT - firing from a distance:
              Aim above the tank and fire, pull down when the missile gets closer. The Tankdriver will not hear the lock-tone more than a fraction of a second before you hit.

If you get out of ammo, aim at the tank and keep him in your sight. You can stress the driver quite a bit when giving him a constant beep-tone and he will hopefully retread or do something foolish ;)
              "That is not an ordinary rabbit ... 'tis the most foul cruel and bad-tempered thing you ever set eyes on ... that rabbit's got a vicious streak. It's a killer"

Comment

Originally posted by Marco de Pollo
                If you get out of ammo, aim at the tank and keep him in your sight. You can stress the driver quite a bit when giving him a constant beep-tone and he will hopefully retread or do something foolish ;)
                Already had that one noted ;)

BF2142 Names:
                Thierry(NL) (Sniper)
                Dikkiedik(NL) (Assault)
                Kittekat(NL) (Engineer)
                Dimi(NL) (Support)

Comment

I did search your post for the aiming before i wrote, but got to eager and added the last one. ;)
                  Nice guide anyway, this Tacticalgamer forum must be the best BF2 forum ever! Too bad you don't play much 8vs8, I would like to see some more map-tacs for small maps.
                  "That is not an ordinary rabbit ... 'tis the most foul cruel and bad-tempered thing you ever set eyes on ... that rabbit's got a vicious streak. It's a killer"

Comment

Great write up. + rep for it.

2nd BCT tested the lock tone in and out of zoom. We determined that the tank does get a lock tone independent of being zoomed in. If the AT player is facing the tank with AT in hand (this was done at close range) and not zoomed in the tank driver got a tone. What we ended up doing was having a guy with speakers turn them way up then hit his "B" key. As the AT player I would face the tank with and without the zoom on. I heard the tone myself.
                    "Umm Deputy these aren't my pants" - Common alarm cry of the North American Crackhead
                    [tg-c1][ma-c1][defense]

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle
                      Great write up. + rep for it.

2nd BCT tested the lock tone in and out of zoom. We determined that the tank does get a lock tone independent of being zoomed in. If the AT player is facing the tank with AT in hand (this was done at close range) and not zoomed in the tank driver got a tone. What we ended up doing was having a guy with speakers turn them way up then hit his "B" key. As the AT player I would face the tank with and without the zoom on. I heard the tone myself.
                      Oh well another thing learned, not zooming does save a lot of time though :)

BF2142 Names:
                      Thierry(NL) (Sniper)
                      Dikkiedik(NL) (Assault)
                      Kittekat(NL) (Engineer)
                      Dimi(NL) (Support)

Comment

Yes, it does save time.
                        "Umm Deputy these aren't my pants" - Common alarm cry of the North American Crackhead
                        [tg-c1][ma-c1][defense]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X